Parton beach waves

#2 has a very intense feel to it, like the water is trying to pull me in.

The colours are nice, especially in #2, again.

How long did you expose those? Maybe playing with other times could give you even better results?

Love all of the above and am feeling pretty inspired to try similar :)

Quick noob question but are these single images or several combined to get the results desired? I'd like to attempt similar but don't have the editing skills for combining images.

Quick noob question but are these single images or several combined to get the results desired? I'd like to attempt similar but don't have the editing skills for combining images.

Chris , there is a topic on here somewhere about this kind of effect . I've just tried to find it for you as I have read it a while back , but alas I cant find it ! Someone will be along and point you in the right direction I'm sure .

#2 has a very intense feel to it, like the water is trying to pull me in.

The colours are nice, especially in #2, again.

How long did you expose those? Maybe playing with other times could give you even better results?

Glad you like them

I do vary my shutter speeds depending on conditions look HERE for a few shots on this beach

Lovely tones in those. I think the 2nd works best.

Thanks mate

EXIF on No: 2 shows the following...

Exposure 1.6
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 12 mm
ISO Speed 200

Number 2 is my fav too (y)

Glad you like it and thanks for posting the info

My view - take sky from 3 and sea from 2 and you have a real winner. It should be real quick on PS.

Maybe I will thanks mate

Lovely set of images

Thanks

The technique is quite simple really.
I only a graduated ND filter on these to balance the exposure as it was a dark day and post sunset.

All you need is a tripod a cable release as the self time is no good for timing and some patience really. You may need some ND filters THESE are OK To start. You can stack the filters to get the effect you need with a set like that. Finding time to experiment helps understanding what works. Movement can be shown from 1/30th second. 30 seconds or more is not something I use often.

Then you set up with the waves moving over a rock in frame and time your shot. Poor weather is going to get the most movement but gale force winds and 10 waves need a different approach.

The second shot the camera was about 25 cm above the rock with a small wave washing over but I was standing ready to pick the camera and tripod up.

If you look at photos on Flickr (mine or anyone else) click the the three dots in the bottom right corner of the image and select exif data to see the camera setting if they are available.

Last edited:
Back