Pedal Power Thread

tell me you got his number and reported him to the scuffers ?

I have his details etc and if I am not happy with his behaviour with regards getting the bike fixed I will take it further. I was a bit shaken up at the time so would have got the police involved at the time with hindsight. At least I know he hasn't given me false details as he has phoned me.

You live and learn!

report it anyway - get a reference number out of them if possible - if nowt else it'll help with any future insurance claim (should he turn out problematic - which lots do when they realise just how much it costs to repair modern bikes!!)

report it anyway - get a reference number out of them if possible - if nowt else it'll help with any future insurance claim (should he turn out problematic - which lots do when they realise just how much it costs to repair modern bikes!!)

He did seem slightly shocked when I told him how much the bike was worth. Lucky it wasn't the Condor! I will give my local lot a buzz tomorrow to report it.

He did seem slightly shocked when I told him how much the bike was worth. Lucky it wasn't the Condor! I will give my local lot a buzz tomorrow to report it.

In the past I have raced downhill mtb. Me and a friend turned up to a race one day to find a pair of riders had another driver run in the back of the car with their bikes on a rack. Must of been about 9-10k for the bikes as totally twisted. Even one of the pedals was pushed through the outer skin of the boot.

Must have been a shock for the insurance company.

i dont miss riding on the road at all.. fortunately the only bits i go on at the moment are brief quiet lanes that join bridleways.

speaking of which, going to try and increase my normal short loop to get an absolute beasting by joining up to the SDW.

im looking at the elevation profile now on Google Earth and cringing.

TheBigYin said:
it generally costs more - companies just get such discounts on components it's difficult to match the deals they do - for example, on my Dolan, if i'd have been happy with the components that were on offer on one of their fixed builds I'd have been able to get DI2 Ultegra for the price of the normal Wired one...

On the other hand, I know that every component on my machine is exactly the one I wanted, not what some product specification manager could get a good deal on. For a self confessed picky so and so like me, it was probably worth the extra £3-400 to get exactly the right crank lengths, stem raise, length,bar profile,materials and so forth...

With some astute purchasing and a unhurried approach, it's possible to pick up bargains on kit - for example there'll soon be a glut of 6700 ultegra on the market as the 11 speed is rolled out by the big S!

I have to say, I'm currently working on a 'crosser as a sort of do-it-all bike - stick guards on in the winter and use it as a roadbike, knobblies in summer for the offroad stuff around home that i'm currently completely overbiked for on the Inbred 456... Problem is, I dont want an Alu frame but do want to be running discs, but most of the carbon jobs don't have mudguard drillings/eyes and the Ti Lynskeys are a bit out of my budget for a winter hack and summer joyride bike...

neil_g said:
pretty easy if you have the correct tools, just make sure you order the correct size parts going on what you are given. for example your frame manufacturer will have a specific size bottom bracket and heaset.

otherwise its just a mechano set. some bits you might want to get a bike shop to do, like press in the heaset cups and cut down the fork steerer.

Thanks for all the info. I priced up some parts yesterday and although the frame seemed cheap the rest of it soon sent the total cost through the roof.
Time to start saving and lowering my expectations somewhat!

there may (I vaguely remember) also be a slightly different import tariff for complete bikes and individual components - I know at one point it was why planet-x were selling complete bikes for hardly any more than the price of the frame/forks... of course this may well have changed by now - it was a while ago...

I don't know how many of the regulars in this thread are based in the Midlands, but Castle Donnington race track is opening up the cyclist & runners for a couple of evenings if people are interested in doing some traffic free riding.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/events/run-cycle-evenings/

I'll be there on for the one on 18th July, and might even take the camera along in case I get bored going round in circles

even riding off the roads is not safe. my son was riding down a combined cycle footpath following a river when crossing a foothpath that comes over a pedestrian bridge was knocked off by a moped!!!!

Looking for a recommendation for a set of road tyres to put on my 26" rims.
The last set I bought many moons ago were Schwalbe Marathons and they seemed ok.
Interested in other recommendations.

Looking for a recommendation for a set of road tyres to put on my 26" rims.
The last set I bought many moons ago were Schwalbe Marathons and they seemed ok.
Interested in other recommendations.

wtb vulpine sl tcs is what I use - light, tough and you can use them on dirt tracks too.

Will check those tyres out guys cheers.
My Schwalbe Rapid Robs are getting destroyed with the occasional lock up.
Knobbly tyres and anti skid surfaces don't go well together when you lock up the rear :D

going to go for a rockshox RC3 plus shock but can get it in white with hardware for £376 or black for around £315 from bike24. wallet says black heart says white :(

going to go for a rockshox RC3 plus shock but can get it in white with hardware for £376 or black for around £315 from bike24. wallet says black heart says white :(

£320 says black and a rattle can of white paint :LOL:

£230 of repairs needed to the bike after my little incident! It could have been written off but as my commuter/hack its just easier to go with the repair. The guy has also agreed to pay for the repairs thankfully. And I am now fine too!

Coolest bit of pedal powered action I've seen for a while...

[YOUTUBE]syJq10EQkog[/YOUTUBE]

£230 of repairs needed to the bike after my little incident! It could have been written off but as my commuter/hack its just easier to go with the repair. The guy has also agreed to pay for the repairs thankfully. And I am now fine too!

what is the damage list?

CAF Mark!

Jim, anything mechanical is relatively easy to fix - flesh is harder! Glad you're OK.

CAF Mark!

Jim, anything mechanical is relatively easy to fix - flesh is harder! Glad you're OK.

Thanks. I was happy to get away with the little injuries that I did quite frankly. The guy who did it has also behaved well so far and is genuinely apologetic and has phoned to make sure I am all right.

that's not too bad

I didn't think so. Better that the cost of a new bike!

Back