PhiltheJuggler's 52! - The '52 - Part 1 - weeks 1-27

Play: What a lovely idea - it's fascinating watching a young child starting to learn to play the piano, and I can still remember the thrill of my hands growing large enough to stretch a full octave! So with that trip down memory lane, for the the sepia treatment is great, and I definitely prefer the edited-out jumper version. :)

Chemistry: One of the good things about the 52 is that you have to try new things and we've both scored a first with a tryptych this week. :)

I prefer the version with the unlit match less exposed, and it's mean of me to have a niggle on your first tryptych, but it is only very, very tiny - it would have been nice to have just a touch more of the wooden part of the matches showing to emphasise the changes taking place in the wood. But It's a good take on the theme and you've done it justice. (y)

Jean

Thanks for your comments!

I did think about having more of the match showing but there were two issues with doing that. Firstly I would have had to use a different lens with extension tubes or miss out some of the flame (especially in the third shot) as this peculiar new lens cannot be focussed in the traditional sense and I was pretty much as far away from the subject as I could get at 1x magnification. Secondly I thought having the heads on the bottom third improved the composition.

Right - off to see your trip' now!

Phil

Week 11 - Candid

A candid photo of a thoughtful gentleman at the seaside.

Larger version here

p896982828-4.jpg

Hi all,

After an event in Blackpool today I went 'hunting' with my camera. I took loads of candids but the one above was my favourite - he seemed a sad & thoughtful individual who simply stared at the sea for the several minutes I watched him. I was pleased that the thin dof pulls him out of the scene and I like the soft pastel colours.

30D handheld + 135L + 580EXII - f/2.8, 1/1000.

I hope you like it,

Phil.

PS!! Here's a few others I took while I was at it:

Lady sitting by fountain taking no notice of me despite pointing a large camera directly at her from close range!

p815125359-4.jpg

Old man hobbling on crutches across a deserted open area:

p1032056691-4.jpg

Bloke smoking by the sea, presumably popped out of one of the hotels opposite:

p979506158-4.jpg

Chemistry - I prefer your second attempt with the unlit match less bright. Your tryptich works well, showing all it needs to show with clarity.

Candid - I love this and it is by far my favourite of the ones you have posted for the candid theme. The pastel creams, greys and browns all go well together and seem to complement and highlight the darker browns of the gent's attire. The little splash of colour from the red bag lifts the image nicely for me.

I did wonder about cloning out the lamp but quickly realised that it should stay put because I think it adds to the image. Its position is balanced with the gent and it's facing him almost as if to say, 'Penny for them...'

And then after the visual effect, there comes that very question: What is he thinking? Reflective? Happy? Sad?

All in all a great image.(y)

The old man and the sea works great, Phil. Makes me sad just looking at it, mate.

Hi Phil, catching up a bit, Chemistry is spot on the theme and very well executed - and your Candid one is a great shot - I like it a lot. The wall gives it some character and you're left thinking "wonder what he was looking at" (y)

Chemistry - I prefer your second attempt with the unlit match less bright. Your tryptich works well, showing all it needs to show with clarity.

Candid - I love this and it is by far my favourite of the ones you have posted for the candid theme. The pastel creams, greys and browns all go well together and seem to complement and highlight the darker browns of the gent's attire. The little splash of colour from the red bag lifts the image nicely for me.

I did wonder about cloning out the lamp but quickly realised that it should stay put because I think it adds to the image. Its position is balanced with the gent and it's facing him almost as if to say, 'Penny for them...'

And then after the visual effect, there comes that very question: What is he thinking? Reflective? Happy? Sad?

All in all a great image.(y)

Thanks for taking the trouble to make such detailed comments - glad you liked the picture!

The old man and the sea works great, Phil. Makes me sad just looking at it, mate.

Thanks - You might like this one then - I took it last year & it's might favourite candid: (click for large image)

Hi Phil, catching up a bit, Chemistry is spot on the theme and very well executed - and your Candid one is a great shot - I like it a lot. The wall gives it some character and you're left thinking "wonder what he was looking at" (y)

Many thanks - exactly what I was aiming for - something thought - provoking!

I like the man with the bag at the seaside- made me wonder what he had in his bag. I also like the smoker.

Thanks ladysue!

Phil

I like candid, the guy at the seaside, got a lump in my throat as you can see the deep thoughts of his childhood, reminissing about it all, but look at the picture at a glance he looks lonely bless him.

Great capture. :)

Hi Phil, I am playing catch up.

Chemistry - I love the triptych, especially version 2. I like each of the images individually and together they really tell a "chemistry" story.

Candid - The guy at the seaside is excellent. Very "candid" and actually rather moving. It may be my screen, but I probably would have preferred it slightly brighter. However, the subdued tones are probably what makes the photo. :clap:

Jenny

I like candid, the guy at the seaside, got a lump in my throat as you can see the deep thoughts of his childhood, reminissing about it all, but look at the picture at a glance he looks lonely bless him.

Great capture. :)

It's really satisfying to think my photo had that reaction - thank you!

Hi Phil, I am playing catch up.

Chemistry - I love the triptych, especially version 2. I like each of the images individually and together they really tell a "chemistry" story.

Candid - The guy at the seaside is excellent. Very "candid" and actually rather moving. It may be my screen, but I probably would have preferred it slightly brighter. However, the subdued tones are probably what makes the photo. :clap:

Jenny

Thanks Jenny - I did try lightening & also playing with saturation and it simply looked wronged & I lost the lovely pastel shades.

:Nice shot Phill, i particularly like the bag by his feet for some reason. Great dof on the sea and nice lines leading in(y)

Thanks - crit like that really helps - I liked the shot but hadn't crystallised the fact that the lines leading in were helping the composition.

Phil

I think it's the bag that makes it for me (not that it isn't a good shot, because it is!) - you just want to know what's in his bag, why has he got it with him and what is he up to?

Love it :clap:

Chemistry - you have done a very good job here. It was worth doing the second version. Very effective. (y)

I like all your candid shots, particularly the solitary man looking out to sea, and the smoker. I see you used flash for that last one - did he spot you?
(y)

I really love the shot of the man at the seaside! Fantastic shot Phil :)

I think it's the bag that makes it for me (not that it isn't a good shot, because it is!) - you just want to know what's in his bag, why has he got it with him and what is he up to?

Love it :clap:

Thanks for the compliments! The bag is indeed intriguing!

Chemistry - you have done a very good job here. It was worth doing the second version. Very effective. (y)

I like all your candid shots, particularly the solitary man looking out to sea, and the smoker. I see you used flash for that last one - did he spot you?
(y)

Thanks! Actually I used flash on all of them. The very last shot is the only one I asked permission before I took. I caught is eye & said - "that would make an artistic shot - just carry on as you were" and then I grabbed two frames.

Phil

I like all of these Phil.

Old man by the sea is definitely the most poignant of the set. As has been said, the bag really adds to it, not just because it's interesting but that splash of red really stands out against the other subdued colours.

My favourite has to be the smoker though.
A personal preference thing, but I far prefer posed shots to candid and this has more of a "posed" feel to it even if it wasn't.
The background works brilliantly against the blues in his suit and I love the way that you've caught him perfectly in profile.
There's that splash of red again in the matchbook in his hand - I love it. A really nice little detail and hint of colour against all that blue :clap:

Playing catchup after being out of the loop for a couple of weeks...

And I really like Chemistry. It's a great series of shots. Well shot!

Out of the candids, I think my favourite is the elderly chap on crutches. It's plaintive and sad and "communicates" better than the others. Just my opinion though :)

Ian.

EXcellent image for the theme Phil

I like all of these Phil.

Old man by the sea is definitely the most poignant of the set. As has been said, the bag really adds to it, not just because it's interesting but that splash of red really stands out against the other subdued colours.

My favourite has to be the smoker though.
A personal preference thing, but I far prefer posed shots to candid and this has more of a "posed" feel to it even if it wasn't.
The background works brilliantly against the blues in his suit and I love the way that you've caught him perfectly in profile.
There's that splash of red again in the matchbook in his hand - I love it. A really nice little detail and hint of colour against all that blue :clap:

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to give such detailed comments! Glad you liked the shots.

Superb candid Phil I love the tones, really emotive shot..... the very last thumbnail is excellent too.... did the old man in the first one notice you flashing him ???

Thank you! After coming out with rather cartoon-bright colours for mechanical & sepia for play I rather liked the contrast of the pastel shades. I think he was aware I was there taking photos but I pretended to be shooting the sea & occassionally swung the camera round a little to grab the candids.

Playing catchup after being out of the loop for a couple of weeks...

And I really like Chemistry. It's a great series of shots. Well shot!

Out of the candids, I think my favourite is the elderly chap on crutches. It's plaintive and sad and "communicates" better than the others. Just my opinion though :)

Ian.

Thanks for your comments!

Yes - I liked the man on crutches - the reason I didn't choose this as my main image for the week was partly that I felt the background distracted from the subject a little.

EXcellent image for the theme Phil

Many thanks!

Phil

Week 12 - Produce

A candid shot on a market stall selling produce.

Larger version here

p991838183-4.jpg

I thought around various options this week but after the muted colour of last week's candid I decided to go for the bold colours of the market stall.

This was taken with my new :love: 1D MKIII, 24-105L @ 47mm, 1/400 sec f/5.6 @ ISO 400 with the 580EXII providing fill (-2/3 stop IIRC).

I like the candid aspect of the shot & feel it adds interest to the colours of the fruit / veg.

Hope you like it,

Phil

Nice, a candid produce shot, show off!

Good colours and use of light as always, well done!

Candid:

#1 This is my favourite - it's got the melencholy feel of Blackpool on a Sunday afternoon out of season. I'd love to know what he's thinking about, and for me that's what a good shot should do - rouse curiosity, and make the viewer think. Excellent! :clap::clap::clap:

#2 Another 'character' - and it's a good job she didn't notice you - she might have clobbered you with that bad she's clutching. :LOL: The only suggestion I'd make is to crop out a smidgeon of sky, but a brilliant shot. (y)

#3 This one doesn't have so much impact compared with #1 (only my opinion, though!) but it has the same sad feeling. :)

#4 Another first class candid. I love the colours in this - the sky/sea and his jacket and shirt all work really well together. (y)

Produce: Congratulations on your new toy! :D It's a good, colourful shot and fits the theme for this week and last - perfectly. :clap:

Jean

Nice, a candid produce shot, show off!

Good colours and use of light as always, well done!

Many thanks - glad you like it!

Candid:

#1 This is my favourite - it's got the melencholy feel of Blackpool on a Sunday afternoon out of season. I'd love to know what he's thinking about, and for me that's what a good shot should do - rouse curiosity, and make the viewer think. Excellent! :clap::clap::clap:

#2 Another 'character' - and it's a good job she didn't notice you - she might have clobbered you with that bad she's clutching. :LOL: The only suggestion I'd make is to crop out a smidgeon of sky, but a brilliant shot. (y)

#3 This one doesn't have so much impact compared with #1 (only my opinion, though!) but it has the same sad feeling. :)

#4 Another first class candid. I love the colours in this - the sky/sea and his jacket and shirt all work really well together. (y)

Produce: Congratulations on your new toy! :D It's a good, colourful shot and fits the theme for this week and last - perfectly. :clap:

Jean

Thanks, Jean - especially for taking the time to comment in such detail!

Phil

Great colours, and I love the way you have caught the moment of sale. Excellent timing, and draws you into the atmosphere.

Hi Phil,

I really like this one. When I first looked at it I thought I could smell the oranges! Great vibrant colours, very candid and bang on theme. You could have used this one last week, too.

Jenny

Many thanks - I loved the vibrant colours and when I look at my 52 so far in the gallery on my website there are several low-key muted shots and I thought something bright & bold provided some balance!

You're good at these candid shots aren't you?
Another lovely crisp shot and great colours in this one. It's got a real sense of "being there" if that makes any sense at all.

p.s. Hope you're enjoying your new toy.

Thank you for the compliment - I love people photography and taking shots of people holds little fear for me as I spend my life talking to strangers in my job. Most people are happy with photographers taking their photo once they understand why. I mentioned to the people on the stall what I was doing and they said 'fine' and just went about their business as I snapped away. The one above was my favourite from about 12 shots.

Am I enjoying the 1D3?? Am I ever. I'm sooooooo impressed! I bought the 1D mainly because I really wanted to try a pro camera and I was interested in the focus tracking and water-resistant properties. What I hadn't expected was the stunning sensor - crisp, vibrant - absolutely wonderful - takes the mick out of my 50D despite having 2/3 the pixels. I always thought that 1D was just about the handling and all modern cameras had similar quality sensors, but I was wrong!!

Great colours, and I love the way you have caught the moment of sale. Excellent timing, and draws you into the atmosphere.

Thank you - this was a slight crop of the original. The original showed more of the colourful oranges, but I deliberately cropped to draw the viewer into the shot - I'm glad it worked!

Phil

A lovely image Phil, sharp, good strong colours... now with all that kit... how on earth did you manage to get a candid ;) ?

great candid shot.. nicely composed and lovely looking fruit and veggies on that stall..

Catch up time :D

Thats definately a mechanic doing something mechanical , I'm not too keen on the HDR though but thats just personal taste.

Love the composition and dof on the child playing the piano.

Matches are popular for chemistry :LOL: very well put together as a triptych.

The first candid shot stands out for me, that extra splash of colour from the red bag makes the shot.

I wondered how much fruit I would see this week, great colours and the angle looking down the stall works well.

(y)

A lovely image Phil, sharp, good strong colours... now with all that kit... how on earth did you manage to get a candid ;) ?

Thanks! Yes, my kit was a little unsubtle, but the grocery stall owners just ignored me once they knew what I was up to & the public seemed to take the cue from them and took no notice of me!

Nice bright colours in your market stall shot and lots of produce.

Many thanks!

great candid shot.. nicely composed and lovely looking fruit and veggies on that stall..

Yeah - they said it would have been even better first thing in the morning when they set up fresh!

Catch up time :D

Thats definately a mechanic doing something mechanical , I'm not too keen on the HDR though but thats just personal taste.

Love the composition and dof on the child playing the piano.

Matches are popular for chemistry :LOL: very well put together as a triptych.

The first candid shot stands out for me, that extra splash of colour from the red bag makes the shot.

I wondered how much fruit I would see this week, great colours and the angle looking down the stall works well.

(y)

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you like majority of the shots - I understand about the tone-mapped image - not for everyone!

Phil

Wow missed a few weeks, OK:
Piano playing child, great shot nice processing and crop
Triptych - love it, I considered a similar idea, but having an extinguished match as the final shot.
Candid - The old man looking out to the sea is nice shot, something about it
Produce - great colourful shot, can almost hearing them calling - "get ya apples, 5 for a pound!"

Wow missed a few weeks, OK:
Piano playing child, great shot nice processing and crop
Triptych - love it, I considered a similar idea, but having an extinguished match as the final shot.
Candid - The old man looking out to the sea is nice shot, something about it
Produce - great colourful shot, can almost hearing them calling - "get ya apples, 5 for a pound!"

Glad you liked them - many thanks!

Week 13: Quad

A Quadruped

Larger version here

p958655231-4.jpg

Ok - week 13. I preferred the idea of shooting a new shot on a new theme rather than re-visiting an older one. I went to the beach for an hour today and took some shots - gallery is here: http://www.philhackettphotography.com/p502272340

I thought I might have seen a beach quad bike, but instead I caught this dog shooting around. Being a four legged creature - a quadruped - it fits the theme and I had fun trying to master the servo tracking on my new 1DMkIII - it's great when you get the hang of the settings!

1DMkIII, 135L @ f2.0, 1/4000s, ISO100, 580EXII

Hope you like it,

Phil

Last edited:
Back