Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Yes, rarely

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Just wondering if what is your opinion about photography meet-ups? I feel like I would need some inspiration to keep myself fully entertained with photography.

Thanks

I'd happily have a meet up locally (Devon)

I would like to go to meet ups, I've been on a mini meet and really enjoyed it. There just doesn't seem to be many local-ish to me (West Midlands).
You need another option on your poll. Yes, infrequently.

Yes, infrequently. :)

I've been on several where they have been within a reasonable distance of me and I'm interested in the subject of the meet.
Not too many occur in my area.

I've been on a few organised through this forum and they have always been good. Obviously when you fix a date you might not get the best conditions but it's always good to meet like minded people and have a chat and a laugh.

I attend them, but mostly as I organise them too :)

Walkabouts in Leeds are my fav, and especially if we also add in some OCF and a model - great fun

And I don't mean paid workshops, just a bunch of togs togging together for fun :)

Dave

I’m only an hour from Leeds! Never been

I do attend a few with a bunch from here and organise a few myself! Little trips into the Peak District and few other places

I definitely want to attend them. Haven't found many nearby. I went to one once and it was a much much older crowd and felt completely out of place.

Pole needs another option...yes but they are like rocking horse s*** at the moment.

Pole?

I was looking on meetup.com but it was before moving to north london. I might give another try, seems there are few groups / events to check. Where else would you look for meetups?

I have done, not for a while though, but would again, personally prefer midweek when the kids are in captivity, places are generally quieter during the day.

Been on a few in the lakes. One organised through here and others organised on instagram.

Think we should do more on this forum.

Easier said than done, lots of initial interest, but the numbers actually attending can usually be counted on one hand.
Couple if years ago I tried to get 10 or 12 people to go on a boat charter out to the abandoned sea forts in the Thames Estuary.
Not exactly killed in the rush on what I thought would be a very popular trip, last meet In Cambridge only had 3 in attendance.

Easier said than done, lots of initial interest, but the numbers actually attending can usually be counted on one hand.
Couple if years ago I tried to get 10 or 12 people to go on a boat charter out to the abandoned sea forts in the Thames Estuary.
Not exactly killed in the rush on what I thought would be a very popular trip, last meet In Cambridge only had 3 in attendance.
pretty much the same when I tried to organise biker meet / ride :D

I was looking on meetup.com but it was before moving to north london. I might give another try, seems there are few groups / events to check. Where else would you look for meetups?

I was in London two Fridays ago at night shooting the south bank

44622641191_02b69f3509_o.jpg

You need to check out the Meeting Place Forum at the bottom
They do come up from time to time.
Like Gramps, I've been on a few, always been fun and helpful, but again it depends
on it being a subject I'm interested in

Last edited:
I like that Mark, crazy amount of cranes there

I think there were about 10 down to attend but only me, thee & Dave turned up on the day. Quite a common occurrence sadly.

Does seem to be a common theme Marc, Dave loved a meet didn't he?

I think one of the most well organised was by the late great Les McLean at Halton Gil in the Dales about 8 years ago. About 30 members for 3 days in a converted barn where at the time nearby they were filming The Woman in Black.

Last edited:
I organised one Up north. 2 weeks before the meet I had over two dozen definitely coming. One week before I had 10 definites. 2 days before I had 5 certainties. One turned up.
Why? Wife wants to go shopping on a Saturday. Mother in Law's birthday. Son goes to footy practice. Daughter goes to swimming lessons. Lies, of course. They knew about all those "excuses" before they said they would come. At least one person was honest...he wanted to watch Man U on TV. That didn't worry me - don't want Man U fans anyway:eek:

It ain't worth the hassle. Fix up a meet with two or three guys you know will turn up. Do it via PM to stop the rubberneckers joining in. I've been on one tonight. Excellent. Must have been on a dozen or so this year.

I think one of the most well organised was by the late great Led McLean at Halton Gil in the Dales about 8 years ago. About 30 members for 3 days in a converted barn where at the time nearby they were filming The Woman in Black.

I (vaguely) remember that :D

We did used to do a lot on TP and in the main we'd get 10-15 turn up pretty much anywhere in the north at that time, it was very much a social as well as photography event

I only ever tried to organise 2 in the south (New Forest and nearby coast) and even contacting TP members who lived close didn't get any interest; while the ones I organised in London were always well attended

Dave

As Gremlin said, the meetup area on this forum is a good place to start.

I've been to a few and half organised a couple but as others pointed out, the numbers that appear on the day are rather variable!

Keep an eye out for Cobra's Whipsnade Nutters meet - usually in January at Whipsnade Zoo (or should that be ZSL Whipsnade?). Not managed to make it up to it yet but keep threatening to...

ive organised several ….. sometimes week long (photo tours) did Dorset (Jurassic coast) skye and the lakes this year..... I enjoy doing it

We did a few photo walks, but we've been informed by the local council that we need a permit even for a free walk and a leadership training certificate to go with the insurance.

Wayne

Since when does a person need a permit to walk? what a load of crap, let alone walking with like minded people. Next you will be asked for a licence to go out with your family and have leadership training first and insurance.

I have heard and read many stupid things, but this sits right on top of the sh*t pile

Last edited:
Don't seem to have any meetups where I am , yet i do know there are a few members here in the Kent/East Sussex area.

I share a similar sentiment many on here, I like the idea but don't know of any meets up happening in my county (West Midlands). Having meet ups can be quite encouraging I would imagine. You can learn from others plus it gives you that confidence. All too often I've been reluctant to take my camera out. Case in point, I went to a local park recently which I prefer for its flora. I enjoyed walking around it as I found it to be quite serene and I even took a few photos on my phone, but of the hour I was there, I only took my camera out for 10 minutes max. I've noticed over time I've become more confident but I often worry about security as well.

I've been to a few, mostly with the film crowd and some for the Edinburgh Festival.

I've really enjoyed them all.

I've recently become a member of The Beltane Fire Festival, first with Tech but now with PhotoPoint - two of the 20 groups involved with staging the events. First meet for the group was on Monday at Monday Meadows Fire Club, though I have been going along for a few weeks.
We are getting ready for the Samhuinn Festival on Carlton Hill on 31st October.
Favourite pic for me this week was this one:

DSC_9762e by Ken, on Flickr

I still need practice :)

Last edited:
May I suggest a fill flash to illuminate the girl?

Les

I've been on two via a photo forum, two photowalks via meet-up.com & an Olympus photowalk
There haven't been that many in my area that I've heard about, I don't mind travelling for an hour to one but I'm not going into London.

My poll answer excludes meetings of the North Essex Photographic workshop as I don't feel club sessions fit the spirit of the thread, even if the location sessions can end up being similar.
It would upgrade to weekly including them, as I help organise them typically only missing 1-2 a year.

While I've not totally hit it off with some of those I've met, the events have all be pleasant & have been more suitable for photography than walking with the family ever managed, and they've generally inspired my photography more!

May I suggest a fill flash to illuminate the girl?

Les

No. Well, you can if you want.

This was what I was aiming for :)

Last edited:
Flash was on 1/4 power if I remember correctly.

Back