Please help, how to determine distance/size of object in photo

As requested by the OP, I've analysed the photo and I can tell everyone that my findings are that I'm almost 100% certain that it's not a fan...

Quite the opposite, it appears to be a heater. Have a really close look, can you see that the detail on the holder at the bottom of the heating element even appears to match in both the photo and the picture on the box in the video? It would appear that the truth is indeed out there!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHt9xX4x5Lc

So come on @Mydogtaco what have you got to say now? Oh, and be a good chap and let me know, did I get the make and model of heater right too?

Oh, and I do like the noise it makes too!

Last edited:
Just as a pointer to such an earthbound product that had an unerring similarity to the original picture and it's "appearance". Can't recall who posted it but he mentioned am old style heater and that rang bells of one I think my grandmother had.....it had a ceramic cone with the heater element wound in a spiral around it.

So very much FWIW I give you the genuinely named Star-Rite space heater
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/710...h_query=retro+space+heater&ref=sr_gallery-1-8

I don't doubt there were numerous similar designs at that time.....as my grandmother's one was not identical to the one I linked to.
As requested by the OP, I've analysed the photo and I can tell everyone that my findings are that I'm almost 100% certain that it's not a fan...

Quite the opposite, it appears to be a heater. Have a really close look, can you see that the detail on the holder at the bottom of the heating element even appears to match in both the photo and the picture on the box in the video? It would appear that the truth is indeed out there!

So come on @Mydogtaco what have you got to say now? Oh, and be a good chap and let me know, did I get the make and model of heater right too?

Great find of a modern take on the retro one I pointed to and that one does show both the spiral wound element and the slotted section. Well done on finding such a close "look" of an earthbound product ;)

Great find of a modern take on the retro one I pointed to and that one does show both the spiral wound element and the slotted section. Well done on finding such a close "look" of an earthbound product ;)
See, you didn't need the men in black after all, just the badger in black and white! ;)

Lol, you got me, it all makes sense now, except I had central heating controlled by two big propane tanks on the bumper, ( I was in my RV that night) cost $28 a tank if I remember it right to fill them, the place was right across the highway, so can you do some googling and find how that fits the story?

That's absolutely ridiculous, like fitting a square in a round peg in those child's toys, anyone can look at that heater and tell, thats not what's depicted in my photo, even if you found something shaped like that online, you still can't explain how I would do something like that. C'mon man, I'm not even sure why you bothered to type something so silly as that

Not you brownie, I mean no disrespect to you, you've been a cool dude, but neither one of y'all can give me any photographic evidence to prove you're theories, that's what I'm looking for.

You started it! :LOL:
I know badger man, I know, but you guys think I'm not being serious, that's why I keep saying, if you think it's a heater, then tell me how I can take a heater and make a picture like that, that's why I think your theory that it's a heater is absolutely ridiculous

You started it! :LOL:
Can you hear yourself think? C'mon man, I'm not a camera wizard, if you offered me a hundred 82 billion dollars to reproduce that photo, I couldn't do it, even if you gave me a million dollars to work with, you know what kind of camera it was, it was a piece of crap, how are you going to take a piece of crap and make a picture look like that with a heater?

Give it up now, it's been a good laugh and a bit of fun solving the 'mystery', but the Scoobie Gang award goes to.... the TP massive. Yaayy!

I believe your next line should be: "If it hadn't have been for those meddling kids!" ? :coat: ;)

Last edited:
Ok I'll play along a bit more for now.

Trainers and dismantled heater thrown up in the air over the power lines/phone lines. That is how to get the subject matter up high enough to then photograph in limited artificial light........

Asta la vista....or whatever phrase makes sense :LOL:

Well, if this thing doesn't work out, I might have a career in mysterious hoaxes according to your input. I must have some talent in that area, if y'all thought I spent two days yanking your chain

But you know, I thought I might run across someone who really knows about photography, someone who could explain things like, why that photo couldn't possibly be a heater, but I guess I'm not lucky enough to find such a person.

That's a terrible shame, because I have a lot to offer in what's normally unseen, oh well

Cheers

Ok I'll play along a bit more for now.

Trainers and dismantled heater thrown up in the air over the power lines/phone lines. That is how to get the subject matter up high enough to then photograph in limited artificial light........

Asta la vista....or whatever phrase makes sense :LOL:
Hold on, what about the legs and the ball with a head in it? Or did y'all not notice that part? See, you cannot explain it, and that's the point.

And I thought a heater puts off red light from the filament? Why isn't that depicted? And why did only the lights surrounding it, light up?

So many unanswered questions to this theory, but if it helps you to blow it off as a hoax, that's fine. But you would lose if you ever had to go to court on that one

Hold on, what about the legs and the ball with a head in it? Or did y'all not notice that part? See, you cannot explain it, and that's the point.

And I thought a heater puts off red light from the filament? Why isn't that depicted? And why did only the lights surrounding it, light up?

So many unanswered questions to this theory, but if it helps you to blow it off as a hoax, that's fine. But you would lose if you ever had to go to court on that one
The ball has two eyes and a nose, a scalp, receding hairline, with hair after, but I guess you didn't see that either, it's just a heater that's all

Well, if this thing doesn't work out, I might have a career in mysterious hoaxes according to your input. I must have some talent in that area, if y'all thought I spent two days yanking your chain

But you know, I thought I might run across someone who really knows about photography, someone who could explain things like, why that photo couldn't possibly be a heater, but I guess I'm not lucky enough to find such a person.

That's a terrible shame, because I have a lot to offer in what's normally unseen, oh well

Cheers

Ok, I'll summarise.
You came and asked for folk to bring to bear a dispassionate critical view of what you perceive as something unearthly. Having shared an original photo and let others examine it it has revealed discernable manmade products......but that does not fit your agenda. That is absolutely fine by me you have every right to your "view of the world".

As for me losing a court case, it would not be for to prove or disprove what and how that or any pictures might or might not have been "created" but for you to prove without a shadow of doubt that what you are showing the population of 12 of your peers is indeed evidence of alien visitation to planet earth.

I for one have had an enduring interest in everything I see around me and endeavour to keep an open mind, one unclouded by faith and/or self interpretation. I consider myself to be fortunate to have lived during a period of great discoveries and wonders revealed.......but what you are, with so much conviction, presenting is not yet one of them.

All the best to you in your quest!

Oh I get it now, they just wanted some shoes, must be hard times on planet yz143, I can sleep at night now, thank you

Can I just check something with you?

You have attached (again) a photograph of your phone screen, yes? Is this the phone that you said would not power up for some time (years?) If so how come the picture shows the phone is using the cricket cellular network and on 4G at that. If it was broken but the phone shop guy managed to power it up how come it has a valid and 'connected' SIM card after so long out of action???

Oh, and that you have posted the picture in .png format suggests to me that you took it with another phone!

71oHqeomNvL._SX679_.jpg

Ok, I'll summarise.
You came and asked for folk to bring to bear a dispassionate critical view of what you perceive as something unearthly. Having shared an original photo and let others examine it it has revealed discernable manmade products......but that does not fit your agenda. That is absolutely fine by me you have every right to your "view of the world".

As for me losing a court case, it would not be for to prove or disprove what and how that or any pictures might or might not have been "created" but for you to prove without a shadow of doubt that what you are showing the population of 12 of your peers is indeed evidence of alien visitation to planet earth.

I for one have had an enduring interest in everything I see around me and endeavour to keep an open mind, one unclouded by faith and/or self interpretation. I consider myself to be fortunate to have lived during a period of great discoveries and wonders revealed.......but what you are, with so much conviction, presenting is not yet one of them.

All the best to you in your quest!
I will accept that, it hurts deeply, but I will accept that.

I just want you to answer this one question, have you ever had man-made products, produce a photo like this, or have you ever have man-made products, produce a photo like this?

If so, at your convenience, would you be so kind as to send me a link, of anything remotely similar to such a thing? It could be anything, just give me any kind of example, so I can put this matter to bed

Yes or no, have you?

You have attached (again) a photograph of your phone screen, yes? Is this the phone that you said would not power up for some time (years?) If so how come the picture shows the phone is using the cricket cellular network and on 4G at that. If it was broken but the phone shop guy managed to power it up how come it has a valid and 'connected' SIM card after so long out of action???

Oh, and that you have posted the picture in .png format suggests to me that you took it with another phone!
Yes, this thing went on for so long, I went from the phone that took the pic, and another two more, this is my fourth since, so that phone was another phone entirely

Let me correct myself, the other pic is from my second Alcatel, but I'm sent it on this piece of crap, my s6 edge which I was madly in love with, crapped out, it's the one I had access to my 700gb on Google drive. When I got this piece of crap and change the number, that was the last time I had access to Google drive, no matter how many times I email them they will never do anything about it so I gave up

I'm not sure if you needed all that information, but that's why I don't have access to , my photos, I've got them all on SD cards back up though, plus a few thumb and cd

Now I'm confused, I didn't read all of what you said before I spouted off, today, I used a thumb drive from the original first phone, that I was smart enough to back up on thumb drive, it wasn't long after that my phone crapped out. That should tell you something, because I didn't even know what a thumb drive was back then, yet, I made dang sure I put it on one. So take that into consideration, I have never in my life at that time, ever been on any social media, never really took photos with a phone, I didn't even text, but when this happened I freaked out, that's the very day that I learned about thumb drives when I went to a camera shop, biggest one in fort Worth

You have to understand, I really believe what I saw enough, to go get 5 thumb drives, and at least a couple CDs made, I didn't even know it was possible, I just went in and they told me about it

I got them right here in front of me, if you want to see them, if I can simply take a photo and stick it right here I will, I will do anything to get you to believe me

That is not a heater and a shoe, I do not fault you in the very least for suggesting such a thing, even though it really is ridiculous, because I don't see how you get a heater in a shoe in a picture like that, but I don't fault you in the least for suggesting that, but c'mon, I do wonder if you really believe that

Just ask me, would it help if I take a picture of all of my thumb drives and SD cards, and my phones, and broken laptop, all uses to do this research?

I will do anyting if you will go back and take another look at that photo, and try to make your theory fit, because it doesn't, that was in the sky, and all I did was walk outside and hit a button, that's how I produced that picture

See? That's my phones, 64 and 32 Gbs, 64, 32, 16, 8, and 2 GB minis, CDs, although I don't know which ones it is in that stack, and I want you to read what's on the thumb drives, it says fort Worth camera camera, which I got I think in December 2015, every last bit of this started those nights, in that sky photo

Why would I do all of that? Where would I even get a heater like that from, and take a picture of it? Why would someone do such a strange thing like that?

That's a real photo, it's in the sky, and I'm pleading with you to go back and take a look at it,

Attachments

• IMG_20190923_193630652.jpg
    IMG_20190923_193630652.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 21

Attachments

• 15692858373864215789390612736847.jpg
    15692858373864215789390612736847.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 27
I will accept that, it hurts deeply, but I will accept that.

I just want you to answer this one question, have you ever had man-made products, produce a photo like this, or have you ever have man-made products, produce a photo like this?

If so, at your convenience, would you be so kind as to send me a link, of anything remotely similar to such a thing? It could be anything, just give me any kind of example, so I can put this matter to bed

Yes or no, have you?

No, I cannot day I have seen any such picture as that that you posted. And why should I have?

As for creating one ~ when I said that such a kaboodle was thrown over a power line I was not necessarily saying you did it......do yes it was there 'in the sky' to be photographed! Though angle & PoV (Point of View) look more like taken from the same balcony but slight angle upwards eliminating the street lights and building opposite.

On that note ~ you originally mentioned going outside your house door for 15 to 20 feet and running back inside, so you were are ground level, yes? But in the later photo on the weightless alien you say this was taken from a second floor apartment balcony. That sounds very inconsistent in regard to the type of property that you lived in, does it not!

Yes, this thing went on for so long, I went from the phone that took the pic, and another two more, this is my fourth since, so that phone was another phone entirely
Let me correct myself, the other pic is from my second Alcatel, but I'm sent it on this piece of crap, my s6 edge which I was madly in love with, crapped out, it's the one I had access to my 700gb on Google drive. When I got this piece of crap and change the number, that was the last time I had access to Google drive, no matter how many times I email them they will never do anything about it so I gave up

I'm not sure if you needed all that information, but that's why I don't have access to , my photos, I've got them all on SD cards back up though, plus a few thumb and cd
Now I'm confused, I didn't read all of what you said before I spouted off, today, I used a thumb drive from the original first phone, that I was smart enough to back up on thumb drive, it wasn't long after that my phone crapped out. That should tell you something, because I didn't even know what a thumb drive was back then, yet, I made dang sure I put it on one. So take that into consideration, I have never in my life at that time, ever been on any social media, never really took photos with a phone, I didn't even text, but when this happened I freaked out, that's the very day that I learned about thumb drives when I went to a camera shop, biggest one in fort Worth

You have to understand, I really believe what I saw enough, to go get 5 thumb drives, and at least a couple CDs made, I didn't even know it was possible, I just went in and they told me about it

I got them right here in front of me, if you want to see them, if I can simply take a photo and stick it right here I will, I will do anything to get you to believe me

That is not a heater and a shoe, I do not fault you in the very least for suggesting such a thing, even though it really is ridiculous, because I don't see how you get a heater in a shoe in a picture like that, but I don't fault you in the least for suggesting that, but c'mon, I do wonder if you really believe that

Just ask me, would it help if I take a picture of all of my thumb drives and SD cards, and my phones, and broken laptop, all uses to do this research?

I will do anyting if you will go back and take another look at that photo, and try to make your theory fit, because it doesn't, that was in the sky, and all I did was walk outside and hit a button, that's how I produced that picture

As for these posts...trying to explain the what & where of the locations of files...please just upload all the original files to Dropbox and give the individual links as you see fit.

No, I cannot day I have seen any such picture as that that you posted. And why should I have?

As for creating one ~ when I said that such a kaboodle was thrown over a power line I was not necessarily saying you did it......do yes it was there 'in the sky' to be photographed! Though angle & PoV (Point of View) look more like taken from the same balcony but slight angle upwards eliminating the street lights and building opposite.

On that note ~ you originally mentioned going outside your house door for 15 to 20 feet and running back inside, so you were are ground level, yes? But in the later photo on the weightless alien you say this was taken from a second floor apartment balcony. That sounds very inconsistent in regard to the type of property that you lived in, does it not!

As for these posts...trying to explain the what & where of the locations of files...please just upload all the original files to Dropbox and give the individual links as you see fit.
I'm not talking about that picture, I'm talking about the sky one, that's the one I'm referring to, I care nothing about the other one, even though that thing was there, outside the window, with no balcony, even if it's a intelligent being, that travels , without touching the ground. I'm not talking about that photo, but the other, like you said I'm not very good at conversing, or whatever you said, that's true, I'm just not good at it

Neither have you provided any photographic evidence to prove your theories.
And we've got a pretty convincing match for that heater, haven't we? Including the curved guard, the spiral-wound heating element, the slats in the holder below it, and the curved back that's attached to the dish.

Neither have you provided any photographic evidence to prove your theories.
Well I tried, I went outside, took a picture, but that's just not good enough, I'm pretty sure that's the best I can ever do. I can't think of anything else, can you?

That's where I took the other picture, 2nd floor, no balcony

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190923-202214.png
    Screenshot_20190923-202214.png
    382 KB · Views: 19
I guess pictures aren't worth a thousand words after all, neither are ones words, people are just too stubborn, to believe such a thing, even if you showed a picture of the window, this "being" was hovering outside of. Their really not gonna believe he was there for me lol. Their not gonna believe they actually followed me to a hotel, after driving miles away from where I took a photo of their "craft", oh well, I tried people, I tried to share with y'all what's really going on in this world, right under your noses. There's nothing to see here, just a command with a shoe, and a heater

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190215-110726.png
    Screenshot_20190215-110726.png
    358.4 KB · Views: 25
@Mydogtaco

Ken
I was referring to your first sky photo in my post above!

I then made comments about the second photo. And about that second photo.......now knowing (and sorry if I misread your post re a balcony?) it was inside a room behind glass. I seriously suspect that the alien(?) was a reflection of something within the room.....as for what it is I have no idea and care little for what it was either something present in the room or something you used to create it.

The way your story had developed with at each stage countering constructive criticism not what have presented by asking "us" to somehow prove or disprove the photos as genuine is now tiresome.

Frankly I have no idea what you think you saw and why you fled on fear of your safety but as a total it just does not add up. Call me skeptical of you want but bear in mind we are thousands of miles from you and you really need to find the help you seek where you are in the USA.

Best of luck to you.

That’s a great find. As you say, it is not a fan. Most of the antique heaters have a much more open guard whereas the guard in the OP photo and your heater are a more modern style of safety guard like those found more commonly in fans.

So it blows hot air, much like some on here :ROFLMAO:

The original heater & trainers photo is very like those we’ve all seen when the camera shutter has been fired accidentally and more often than not it is pointed at the ground or sky. I think feet are a common feature of the ones I’ve ‘taken’ :confused:. Presumably Ken’s flash-lit finger meant the rest of the photo was heavily underexposed. A charitable explanation is that he found them on his camera roll, maybe after trying to get his outdoor alien pics, and misinterpreted them being inclined to believe in that sort of thing. The other possibility is that’s it’s a wind up of course ;).

That’s a great find. As you say, it is not a fan. Most of the antique heaters have a much more open guard whereas the guard in the OP photo and your heater are a more modern style of safety guard like those found more commonly in fans.
I think the real credit should go to you and Dave as you did such a good job of enhancing the photo that we could see what the main objects really were. You mentioning the heating element put me in the right direction to do my bit, mainly out of curiosity about the design as I'd not seen a heater like that before.

I think the real credit should go to you and Dave as you did such a good job of enhancing the photo that we could see what the main objects really were. You mentioning the heating element put me in the right direction to do my bit, mainly out of curiosity about the design as I'd not seen a heater like that before.

They taught us both well at Area 51 years ago :D
On a more serious note though, once I sussed out it was trainers then I thought this is a wind up.

My cousin is a special effects artist and this is exactly what he does, nothing else. His part of the special effects process is getting all the elements to scale and calculating all the elements and scales as everything moves around. It's a lot of complex maths, but without reference points you can't tell a thing.

Back