Please help, how to determine distance/size of object in photo

I'm sorry, but we only have your word that the photo is as you claim. It's possible to produce a jpg with anything you want in it, setting things up in a studio and/or using editing software.

Editors can also change the exif data as to camera, lens etc.

There are two explanations possible, the first that you're telling the truth, and we have to interpret the photo in that light. The second is that this is a wind up or exercise in photo creativity, and we have to determine how the photo could be created.

Or a possible third one; that you're telling the truth as you see it, but you have a false perception of what you saw, and are attempting to make the image fit that perception.

I've been reading this thread since it started, and it's quite a good read.
I have a background in physics (studied it at degree level) but I don't profess to be an expert.
I think we need a reality check here though.
I'm sure no one is doubting that the OP saw 'something' but the chances are that it's from a distant world are infinitesimally small.

The vast distances we're talking about here are unimaginable to us mere Earth dwellers, and I would go further to say that it would be prohibitively costly in energy terms for any 'conventional' being, flying in a physical craft.
(By conventional, I mean fleshy, organic beings in 'metal' type ships with mass)
Of course there might some kind of hitherto unknown quantum matter or an inter-dimensional transportation method that exists that exhibits no mass, and therefore, in theory could travel at velocities approaching the speed of light, but would we Earthlings even see this exotic 'matter'?
Would we even know if they were in our dimension?

I digress, lets do some maths.
Take our nearest star (not the Sun) - Alpha Centauri A, which is approximately 4.22 light years away, that's about 5,879,000,000,000 or 5.879 million million miles away....per light year!!!
The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, which is 669,600,000 miles per hour (to put it in Earth bound context) - that's approx 669 and a half million miles an hour!
Our own space shuttle (admittedly low tech compared to our advanced alien friends) could reach 17,500 miles per hour in low Earth orbit, and so would take well over 38 thousand years to reach Alpha Centauri A.
But just think about the fuel and resources needed to power this trip.
Think about the gravity...indeed, for us, it would be necessary to attain a constant acceleration of one G for half the journey, and then for the latter half, a reverse acceleration of one G, so that our fragile, biological functions would not be compromised...and this is assuming that our 'ship' could attain these incredible speeds, with some kind of exotic power supply.
There would have to be a fully sustainable eco-system, which would have to support many hundreds of generations of people on this journey.
The older generation would need to teach and train the newer generations on all aspects of the journey, without errors, for thousands of years.

So if our advanced friends were to have the technology to travel at speeds even approaching 1/1000th the speed of light (which is unbelievably fast) it would still take a thousand years to travel from Alpha Centauri A., and the resources needed would be unimaginably vast (assuming alien resources naturally - which I'm sure are more 'efficient' than our own space food/fuel etc)

This is assuming of course that there is intelligent, advanced life on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri A.

If we're talking further, then I'm afraid the numbers just don't add up...they're too fantastical.

I'm not opposed to the idea of alien life, but the inter-galactic distances which would need to be travelled, are utterly unattainable for any life form anywhere in the universe.

@Dave70D is right....it's a pair of trainers!!:p

Last edited:
You never met my ex wife, and she was scary.
Dave, I just tried to throw you a bone, I tried to up an alien pic, but it said file too big, if you can tell me how to do it, I'm going to send you an actual alien pic. I don't want to scare the ladies too bad, but I really wanted to show you one that makes your little skull icon look like child's play, but I'm going to send you a photo of a friendly, at least I think friendly

What do I do? How can I get it over to the Dropbox thing? And wouldn't that help?

Dave, I just tried to throw you a bone, I tried to up an alien pic, but it said file too big, if you can tell me how to do it, I'm going to send you an actual alien pic. I don't want to scare the ladies too bad, but I really wanted to show you one that makes your little skull icon look like child's play, but I'm going to send you a photo of a friendly, at least I think friendly

What do I do? How can I get it over to the Dropbox thing? And wouldn't that help?

Put it up like you did with the other ones and link it here, hope it`s not a photo of my ex though.

Ah, of course, the photo is upside down. There’s a pair of trainers , probably trousers, and the main thing is an electric fan.
View attachment 255921
It was nagging at me that core thing in the fan looked familiar and now I realise it’s one of those early electric heating elements of coiled wire round a ceramic base. I can’t find an exact example but if you google for “antique electric fan heater” there are lots that are similar :cool:.

It was nagging at me that core thing in the fan looked familiar and now I realise it’s one of those early electric heating elements of coiled wire round a ceramic base. I can’t find an exact example but if you google for “antique electric fan heater” there are lots that are similar :cool:.

I think you and I should go back to our old jobs, I loved working at Area 51 all those years ago :D

I've been reading this thread since it started, and it's quite a good read.
I have a background in physics (studied it at degree level) but I don't profess to be an expert.
I think we need a reality check here though.
I'm sure no one is doubting that the OP saw 'something' but the chances are that it's from a distant world are infinitesimally small.

The vast distances we're talking about here are unimaginable to us mere Earth dwellers, and I would go further to say that it would be prohibitively costly in energy terms for any 'conventional' being, flying in a physical craft.
(By conventional, I mean fleshy, organic beings in 'metal' type ships with mass)
Of course there might some kind of hitherto unknown quantum matter or an inter-dimensional transportation method that exists that exhibits no mass, and therefore, in theory could travel at velocities approaching the speed of light, but would we Earthlings even see this exotic 'matter'?
Would we even know if they were in our dimension?

I digress, lets do some maths.
Take our nearest star (not the Sun) - Alpha Centauri A, which is approximately 4.22 light years away, that's about 5,879,000,000,000 or 5.879 million million miles away!
The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, which is 669,600,000 miles per hour (to put it in Earth bound context) - that's approx 669 and a half million miles an hour!
Our own space shuttle (admittedly low tech compared to our advanced alien friends) could reach 17,500 miles per hour in low Earth orbit, and so would take well over 38 thousand years to reach Alpha Centauri A.
But just think about the fuel and resources needed to power this trip.
Think about the gravity...indeed, for us, it would be necessary to attain a constant acceleration of one G for half the journey, and then for the latter half, a reverse acceleration of one G, so that our fragile, biological functions would not be compromised...and this is assuming that our 'ship' could attain these incredible speeds, with some kind of exotic power supply.
There would have to be a fully sustainable eco-system, which would have to support many hundreds of generations of people on this journey.
The older generation would need to teach and train the newer generations on all aspects of the journey, without errors, for thousands of years.

So if our advanced friends were to have the technology to travel at speeds even approaching 1/1000th the speed of light (which is unbelievably fast) it would still take a thousand years to travel from Alpha Centauri A., and the resources needed would be unimaginably vast (assuming alien resources naturally - which I'm sure are more 'efficient' than our own space food/fuel etc)

This is assuming of course that there is intelligent, advanced life on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri A.

If we're talking further, then I'm afraid the numbers just don't add up...they're too fantastical.

I'm not opposed to the idea of alien life, but the inter-galactic distances which would need to be travelled, are utterly unattainable for any life form anywhere in the universe.

@Dave70D is right....it's a pair of trainers!!:p
That's awesome, too bad I couldn't understand any of it. But let me tell you what my small mind has learned

These things don't fly conventionally, that's what I tried to explain to "woof woof", you have everybody and their uncle looking for a craft, that is solid, and beings that are solid

What their missing, and I'm not smart enough to explain, but they DO NOT TRAVEL CONVENTIONALLY.

I have a lot to say on this subject, but this isn't the place. It would take me literally hours, to even come up with the words to describe it

I will say this however, they use a tremendous force of some kind of energy that I have no idea what it is. And I believe it has to do with what's in the photo

Tell me, I played around with a photo a little bit, and I seen the most beautiful emerald colored looking bits of light in it. I'm not smart enough to explain the reasons why I believe they use this tremendous energy source, but whatever it does, It produced these beautiful jeweled colored lights, out of this air. What could cause that?

I haven't just a few encounters with seeing this energy, but many.its at times visible, and I've seen them move, and disturb the space around them. I seen them come at great great speed, stop on a dime, and CLEARLY SEE, a disturbance in the space around them

What are your thoughts?

You can see coloured moving lights in the aurora borealis with needing a tremendous alien energy source to produce the effect.

I think you and I should go back to our old jobs, I loved working at Area 51 all those years ago :D
Dave, all you got to do is tell me how to get a photo off of my phone, and right here in this message, and you would quit your little funny messages. How about it? It keeps saying the file is too large, don't you want to see one of the aliens?

Dave, don't think I'm joking, and if you tell me how the send this picture, you will quit joking

Dave, all you got to do is tell me how to get a photo off of my phone, and right here in this message, and you would quit your little funny messages. How about it? It keeps saying the file is too large, don't you want to see one of the aliens?

On the longest side make it no bigger than 1200 and you should be fine.

There you go Dave, does that look like a tenny shoe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190215-110726.png
    Screenshot_20190215-110726.png
    358.4 KB · Views: 52
Dave, don't think I'm joking, and if you tell me how the send this picture, you will quit joking

Only using Dropbox can you provide such a larger unadulterated file!

OMG!!! It`s the ex.
C'mon Dave, your being silly, if you quit harassing me I will upload the original, and you can pop that one in. I really really really have a special one in mind for you, but I can't put that one here, I don't want to be responsible for someone getting nightmares

So Dave, yes, that's a crappy crappy one I'm willing to turn loose of, explain that one Dave?

2nd story, no balcony, 7 foot window, nine foot ceiling

Only using Dropbox can you provide such a larger unadulterated file!
Thanks brownie, somehow it let me send that form of it, I think I used Google photos and played with it, I don't know if that's the unadulterated kind or not

That's not my purpose here to share photos, my purpose is to understand the things I've seen. That's why the one in the sky is so important to me.

Have you had the time to do anything with it?

You know the things I'm looking for, the things I don't know, anything you can do I appreciate

I also want to thank you for being so respectful, your a good man

C'mon Dave, your being silly, if you quit harassing me I will upload the original, and you can pop that one in. I really really really have a special one in mind for you, but I can't put that one here, I don't want to be responsible for someone getting nightmares

So Dave, yes, that's a crappy crappy one I'm willing to turn loose of, explain that one Dave?

2nd story, no balcony, 7 foot window, nine foot ceiling

Well obviously it`s a bright light, but you made sure a mate was dressed up or you got the gate head statue just right.

I haven't just a few encounters with seeing this energy, but many.its at times visible, and I've seen them move, and disturb the space around them. I seen them come at great great speed, stop on a dime, and CLEARLY SEE, a disturbance in the space around them

What are your thoughts?
Won't that just be the shimmering effect of the heat from the element at the back of your vintage fan heater?

That's awesome, too bad I couldn't understand any of it. But let me tell you what my small mind has learned

These things don't fly conventionally, that's what I tried to explain to "woof woof", you have everybody and their uncle looking for a craft, that is solid, and beings that are solid

What their missing, and I'm not smart enough to explain, but they DO NOT TRAVEL CONVENTIONALLY.

I have a lot to say on this subject, but this isn't the place. It would take me literally hours, to even come up with the words to describe it

I will say this however, they use a tremendous force of some kind of energy that I have no idea what it is. And I believe it has to do with what's in the photo

Tell me, I played around with a photo a little bit, and I seen the most beautiful emerald colored looking bits of light in it. I'm not smart enough to explain the reasons why I believe they use this tremendous energy source, but whatever it does, It produced these beautiful jeweled colored lights, out of this air. What could cause that?

What are your thoughts?

Nothing complicated, it's just numbers, very, very big numbers.

I haven't (and won't) go into details about relativity however (read Einstein).

There are many metrological terrestrial events that could explain what you saw, but I am neither experienced nor inclined to do anything other than speculate on that.

I will finish by saying this: the mind can be a powerful and wonderful thing, and if you believe you saw something, then I wish you the best of luck on your quest for truth.
I shall remain respectfully sceptical.

Last edited:
There you go Dave, does that look like a tenny shoe

All you have attached is a photograph of an image of/on your phone. It does not help your case or engagement by offering that as a way to show anyone the images.

On your next trip to the helpful guy at the phone shop get him to upload all the images to Dropbox you might eventually share, you can then give the appropriate link at a time to suit you???

Which is (as I'm sure Ken knows perfectly well) the base where UFO folklore claims the wreckage of the alien spacecraft that is supposed to have crashed at Roswell was taken (see my link above, unless Majestic-12 has already removed it).
Yes, I did know that, I learned that this week after watching Joe Rogan. I see you noticed I never mentioned it either, was a good reason

It doesn't play a role in anything that I've studied, I've never cine 3 ft tall alien with big eyes, nor have I seen a saucer.The only thing I find interesting about Bob lazar's story, is a few things that I see in my photo, other than that they have no connection whatsoever

I only brought that to attention, because I'm trying to figure out that power source in the sky, that thing that has rings, with magnificent energy, it seems to me, that's what that thing is

No connection whatsoever to area 51, and the fact that the wreckage landed right across the lake where I was at, it has absolutely nothing to do with the story

*UNLESS*, They know what I know at the base, now that's a whole nother story that ain't none of my dang business, and I want to keep it that way

I didn't even know that bass was there when I moved there, I've never seen it to this day, don't want to, anybody with a badge and a gun I don't want to hang around, that's just how it is, and will forever be

No, no connection, I promise you I just recently learned that fact after watching Bob Lazar on Joe Rogan podcast #1029, I don't believe or not believe Bob, I don't even have an opinion, I just found it fascinating he mentions a gray metal, which can be found in my photo, he mentioned a heart-shaped field, which can be found in my photo, he mentions an antenna, it's in my photo, he mentions 3 exhaust, there's three slots cut out in my photo, and he mentioned a power source, that's why I'm wondering if that's what that thing is "in my photo"

I just found it fascinating he mentions a gray metal, which can be found in my photo, he mentioned a heart-shaped field, which can be found in my photo, he mentions an antenna, it's in my photo, he mentions 3 exhaust, there's three slots cut out in my photo, and he mentioned a power source, that's why I'm wondering if that's what that thing is "in my photo"
Does he also mention a pair of trainers?

I'm sorry, but we only have your word that the photo is as you claim. It's possible to produce a jpg with anything you want in it, setting things up in a studio and/or using editing software.

Editors can also change the exif data as to camera, lens etc.

There are two explanations possible, the first that you're telling the truth, and we have to interpret the photo in that light. The second is that this is a wind up or exercise in photo creativity, and we have to determine how the photo could be created.

Or a possible third one; that you're telling the truth as you see it, but you have a false perception of what you saw, and are attempting to make the image fit that perception.
That's why I'm here, to learn the possibilities, thanks Stephen, I'm going to chew on that but it won't lead me anywhere, I'm not bright enough to go and try to disprove the theory I created this, matter of fact I was under the total assumption, that any photo can be proven, any and every photo that has been Photoshop can be proven

I hope you're not right, if you are my research ends right here

OMG!!! It`s the ex.
Dave, give me your tenny shoe theory on that photo, and Dave, when you look at it, you can't compute what your seeing, because it doesn't make any sense to you does it?

If you would help me validate my sky photo, help me give it some kind of credibility, only then can I explain to you how I captured that " in my photo

Dave, that's 100% real, you're looking at something you don't understand, and as far as I know, I'm the only one who could possibly explain what's in that photo.

Lol, who's laughing now Dave?

Look at it this way. You can find sites/people on the internet where very clever photoshop fakes are exposed. There are techniques for doing that. What I'm less certain of is that if a print were made of a fake and the print photographed with a camera with a very small sensor whether the editing would still be detectable.

When it comes to creating anything in an image in a studio, it's possible.

The Cottingley Fairies lasted a long time before being shown to be fakes.

Dave, give me your tenny shoe theory on that photo, and Dave, when you look at it, you can't compute what your seeing, because it doesn't make any sense to you does it?

If you would help me validate my sky photo, help me give it some kind of credibility, only then can I explain to you how I captured that " in my photo

Dave, that's 100% real, you're looking at something you don't understand, and as far as I know, I'm the only one who could possibly explain what's in that photo.

I`m watching a great film at the moment, so I will give my thoughts tomorrow. R.P McMurphy and Nurse Ratched great film too.

Here it is again in case you missed it

Dave, you don't know what I know, I've seen tens and tens and tens of thousands of these, not two the same,

Attachments

358.4 KB · Views: 25
You're wrong it was a Halifax. Those nice guys with the tentacles gave me a lift to their moonbase where they're converting it into an interstellar missile carrier...

I'm sorry. Just done it again. I don't know what's wrong with me today.

PS.
Ken, mate, you really neeeeed a girlfriend or a boyfriend or a really interesting hobby or to read a really good book or do whatever rocks your world other than this but trust me there are better ways of spending your time than this. Please Ken, take a look in the mirror and have a good think about where you are and where you're going.

Last edited:
Bingo, you got me, that's what that is, your a genious

Except, I need to have explain to me, and everyone else, how that hypothesis works

First, can you Google and find a fan, and overlay that on that electric motor as you claim? Then can you explain how I got my shoes and pants to look like that? What about the ball, with that thing in it? And I hid it in the dark, at great distance, and somehow did that?

That's exactly the kind of investigation I need done, I'm willing to give anyone a thousand dollars, mow their lawn, do dishes and laundry, and wash their car, if they make your hypothesis stick

No, I did absolutely nothing other than touching the button on the phone , and took this picture in the sky, and I'm am telling you this, NO ONE CAN PROVE OTHERWISE

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it has to be said. There are some heck of a professional photographers on this site, I wish I was one of them but I'm not, they should be able to figure out this photo is 100% authentic

I did as I was asked, I took my thumb drive that I made directly off of my cell phone at a professional shop, I just went today to another professional shop, took it off thumb drive and put it on Dropbox, I am told 100% is in the photo, you should be able to prove, that theory is false

Again, I am very thankful for the help from all of you, it means a lot to me, but if you have a theory that can be proven or disproven, that's what I need

Thank you, thank you
Pretty sure anyone who is not registered blind can be satisfied it's a fan and trainer. You've had a laugh, maybe a photo forum where people are used to looking at details was a bad choice. I'm still waiting for the alien pics......

Pretty sure anyone who is not registered blind can be satisfied it's a fan and trainer. You've had a laugh, maybe a photo forum where people are used to looking at details was a bad choice. I'm still waiting for the alien pics......

Why am I picturing a 15yo sat in his bedroom wearing his mothers best dress and laughing hysterically? I'll log off before the tears start.

Ken. Good luck in life, you're gonna need it :D

Nothing complicated, it's just numbers, very, very big numbers.

I haven't (and won't) go into details about relativity however (read Einstein).

There are many metrological terrestrial events that could explain what you saw, but I am neither experienced nor inclined to do anything other than speculate on that.

I will finish by saying this: the mind can be a powerful and wonderful thing, and if you believe you saw something, then I wish you the best of luck on your quest for truth.
I shall remain respectfully sceptical.
My late father was a mathmatician, and was a geophysical engineer, and like you, he was very skeptical. He passed away before all this with me happened. And he spoke just like you.

He was very closed minded scientifically, and it wasn't the way he was taught, and what he learned along the way, then it was invalid, and that's that.

The problem is, that hurt him in a lot of ways, he missed out on a lot of things. If he were alive today, I would tell him, your science, and your knowledge doesn't know everything

Yes, I know the many things that I seen, and to me, they are very real. I know their are people who simply have an ability for certain things, that others don't.This is what I was stuck with, and if I said I didn't ask for it, I'd be lieing

This is the end of the road for this journey, because it's not looking good for the photography world, to give me any validation, so my explanations are useless

You know, I don't even know what these things are, I only have two guesses, which is exactly what science does. So I cant understand why, when another comes up with something unknown, it automatically gets rejected

Just like the Democrats and Republicans do everyday

Lol, ok bud, that's that, end of story, but I will mail you a $1000 check if you can prove it, here's your alien pic, any questions?

Attachments

358.4 KB · Views: 24
Just as a pointer to such an earthbound product that had an unerring similarity to the original picture and it's "appearance". Can't recall who posted it but he mentioned am old style heater and that rang bells of one I think my grandmother had.....it had a ceramic cone with the heater element wound in a spiral around it.

So very much FWIW I give you the genuinely named Star-Rite space heater
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/710...h_query=retro+space+heater&ref=sr_gallery-1-8

I don't doubt there were numerous similar designs at that time.....as my grandmother's one was not identical to the one I linked to.

Last edited:
Well obviously it`s a bright light, but you made sure a mate was dressed up or you got the gate head statue just right.
Dave, second story no balcony, would you like the name of the hotel? It's outside the pane Dave, there's no scaffolding to crawl up

But do you know what's funny Dave, do you know what hilarious, it's the fact you thought it was a person. In a sense, your the only person to have given me some validation

Thanks Dave, get back to your movie and back to thinking, "aliens" don't exist lol

Sometimes it feels like I'm an alien on another planet

Lol, ok bud, that's that, end of story, but I will mail you a $1000 check if you can prove it, here's your alien pic, any questions?

That's no alien, it's just me when I'd had a few one night.

I'm sorry I caused all this... please accept my apology and give your mum her dress back before you get any stains on it.

That's is so precious to me Dave, you sat there and recognized it being a person, or a statue, so you know it was meant to be a living thing, whether a man or statue of a man, yet you think I suspended it off the roof of the hotel?

Listen Dave, no no that's not the case, you looking at one of the things I'm looking at, except only one of us will believe it, even though we both recognize it looking like, it's a living being

I don't know what I have to do to prove it to some people, it's like nothing I can do works

You can't capture these things Dave, you can't capture them and put them in a cage, it doesn't work that way

But thank you Dave, thanks for proving to myself, I'm not crazy, because they look like a man to me too, as they fly around weightlessly

Gdnite Dave,

Back