weekly Posiview's 2013 52. Week 52, Water added TTFN.

Morning Andy

Kind - that is on theme for me and relates to the act of being kind and so not as shoehorned as some, including mine. :) But I agree with Iain that it beeds a bit more.

Also I am not keen on the lighting as it implies something sinister to me - the dark b/g, the faint hand, the indistinct clothes - whereas the interpretation that you have chosen should show more warmth and care for the injury. I do have some strange emotions to certain types of shots so please feel free to ignore me :D

Morning Andy

Kind - that is on theme for me and relates to the act of being kind and so not as shoehorned as some, including mine. :) But I agree with Iain that it beeds a bit more.

Also I am not keen on the lighting as it implies something sinister to me - the dark b/g, the faint hand, the indistinct clothes - whereas the interpretation that you have chosen should show more warmth and care for the injury. I do have some strange emotions to certain types of shots so please feel free to ignore me :D

Hi, nope, all valid points. I know what was needed....we should have been in the garden with nice light, a few bounce cards, Jackie involved - either applying the plaster of a gentle kiss. It wasn't until I read your crit and looked again at the photograph, how sinister it looks. Appreciate the crit (y)

I'm with Iain on this one, I like the image but think it needs something else to help portray the kind element :)

DAMN... looks like in need of a catch up too

Greed - Very nice, I like how the elements seem to raise through each shot, the backgrounds compliment too - love it (y)

Angels - Good dark background, and great colours passes angle for me :)

Right, think that's all I have missed on yours... best get back in the garden filling the skip again, damn pikey's have made another gap

Last edited:
Hi Andy
Have to agree with above comments its a great idea it just lacks something but I am sure you knew that when submitting it.

Hi Andy, I like that your shot has "feelings" in the way that you have shot & edited it. (y)
btw I Love Isabelles Idea of all the plasters although that would have been a completely different picture (and Imagine trying to get them off, Ouch!)

Regarding the triptych, I can do the software, I just never seem to get the balance of the 3 images to my satisfaction, being a design engineer I just want to do 3 orthographics and an isometric all the time... I wish I could "see" the layout and then shoot it. Maybe I'm just too techy and not enough arty? I shall persevere and the more good ones (like yours) I see the more chance I have of getting it! :D

Hi, nope, all valid points. I know what was needed....we should have been in the garden with nice light, a few bounce cards, Jackie involved - either applying the plaster of a gentle kiss. It wasn't until I read your crit and looked again at the photograph, how sinister it looks. Appreciate the crit (y)

in agreement with you there andy - right idea - wrong execution :thinking:

I think it was the "act of kindness" that was missing here - plenty tough theme though....

I think most has been said already, I like the thought behind it as a caring parent but it needs kinder light.

I'm with Iain on this one, I like the image but think it needs something else to help portray the kind element :)

DAMN... looks like in need of a catch up too

Greed - Very nice, I like how the elements seem to raise through each shot, the backgrounds compliment too - love it (y)

Angels - Good dark background, and great colours passes angle for me :)

Right, think that's all I have missed on yours... best get back in the garden filling the skip again, damn pikey's have made another gap

:D 'preciate the FB (y)

Hi Andy
Have to agree with above comments its a great idea it just lacks something but I am sure you knew that when submitting it.

Yeah, might be a reshoot at some point in the future.

Hi Andy, I like that your shot has "feelings" in the way that you have shot & edited it. (y)
btw I Love Isabelles Idea of all the plasters although that would have been a completely different picture (and Imagine trying to get them off, Ouch!)

Regarding the triptych, I can do the software, I just never seem to get the balance of the 3 images to my satisfaction, being a design engineer I just want to do 3 orthographics and an isometric all the time... I wish I could "see" the layout and then shoot it. Maybe I'm just too techy and not enough arty? I shall persevere and the more good ones (like yours) I see the more chance I have of getting it! :D

Best way is to try a few. It's often not easy to get 3 elements to work together.

in agreement with you there andy - right idea - wrong execution :thinking:

I think it was the "act of kindness" that was missing here - plenty tough theme though....

Yeah, totally agree (y)

I think most has been said already, I like the thought behind it as a caring parent but it needs kinder light.

Yeah, totally agree...again :D

re-shoot works well - great location - love the view through the opening to the sky and sea beyond... Good use of flash too - I'd have probably resorted to HDR to try to get back the details in the rocks behind the two of them.

Bit of CA on the rock opening - and it looks like there's a small animal inside your PC, nibbling away at the edges of the photo. :LOL:

overall.... well taken, and would be a definate to stick in the family album. (y)

Hahaaaa she does look pleased to pose for you :LOL:

Nice PP to the shot, good lighting and I really like the ripples on the water :)

re-shoot works well - great location - love the view through the opening to the sky and sea beyond... Good use of flash too - I'd have probably resorted to HDR to try to get back the details in the rocks behind the two of them.

Bit of CA on the rock opening - and it looks like there's a small animal inside your PC, nibbling away at the edges of the photo. :LOL:

overall.... well taken, and would be a definate to stick in the family album. (y)

Cheers. Yeah, it has its issues but I can't see beyond Isabelle's face :D

I really like :clap: that the red and the blue work well, no crit apart from the border I don't really like it I am sure there are people who do though.

what is it used for there are no windows at least on this side :thinking:

I really like :clap: that the red and the blue work well, no crit apart from the border I don't really like it I am sure there are people who do though.

what is it used for there are no windows at least on this side :thinking:

Hi, Allan, the border, I do like my borders and I often wonder why I add borders? What are borders used for? Need to have a think.

I believe it's part of Leeds University and was designed to rust.

Cheers.

border adds nothing (for me...)

corker of a shot though - big bold composition, square on in the frame, love the effect on either sides of the sticky out bits, bright rusty reds - great blue sky with nice shadow on the clouds. :clap:

appears a bit noisy in the shadows of the overhangs, presume you've lightened these parts in processing?? (Definately the thing to do to catch the detail in these areas. (y)) Candidate for HDR.. :thinking:

border adds nothing (for me...)

corker of a shot though - big bold composition, square on in the frame, love the effect on either sides of the sticky out bits, bright rusty reds - great blue sky with nice shadow on the clouds. :clap:

appears a bit noisy in the shadows of the overhangs, presume you've lightened these parts in processing?? (Definately the thing to do to catch the detail in these areas. (y)) Candidate for HDR.. :thinking:

Cheers, I do like this building and it seems designed for 11mm.

Bit of noise... Left it in a higher iso by mistake :(

Oh, and it is a 3 shot HDR :)

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers.

Hi Andy

Value - that is a heck of a shot. Really good comp - lots of interest throughout and yet the attention still comes back to the main subject. Good colour and detail, partic in the water. minor crit would be the shadow from the flash and the highlight in the sunglasses. But like you, i cannot but keep being drawn back to the wonderful expression on your daughter's face. (y)

Vertical - good edit to remove the border. Excellent pov and focus, good colour, tones and sky. Good work.

In this instance, I prefer it without the border, an interesting subject that, I love the colour and intensity in the orange.

I have to agree regarding the border, especially how it compliments the angles of the building.

Hi Andy

Value - that is a heck of a shot. Really good comp - lots of interest throughout and yet the attention still comes back to the main subject. Good colour and detail, partic in the water. minor crit would be the shadow from the flash and the highlight in the sunglasses. But like you, i cannot but keep being drawn back to the wonderful expression on your daughter's face. (y)

Vertical - good edit to remove the border. Excellent pov and focus, good colour, tones and sky. Good work.

I never noticed either th shadow from the flash or the highlight :bonk: strange how one can get locked into the processing but miss the fundamentals :bonk:

Cheers.

Hi ya...finally got some time for a catch up.....

Vertical........not keen on the border as it seems ro distract from the overall clean sharp lines of that fab building...the verison posted without the frame grabs my attention much more , beautiful colors , textures & a superb blue sky....might have been tempted to crop to above the lower buildings...maybe :thinking:

Value....great link to the theme....by heavens...what had you said to Isabelle ? Like the lighting & how it brings out the rocks...almost has an HDR look to it ?

Kind...not saying nuffink.......it's all been said.....

roll on Patterns .....plenty to got at me thinks (y)

Reshoot for value Andy, bang on theme I agree entirely about your view of family (y)
Great composition here, throughout the frame there are little elements echoed, Jackie and Isabelle surrounded by the lighter coloured rocks which in turn are similar in shape to the opening on the left, good work. Loads of detail captured too, plenty for the viewer to look at around the image then bringing them back to Jackie and Isabelle, certainly one for the family album.
I especially like Isabelle's expression, :LOL: priceless.

Vertical, my vote goes to no border too Andy. I find it a little distracting, taking my attention away from the main event, the building which makes for a really striking subject. I like the way you have really filled the frame with it.
Again, good work Andy (y)

The Value reshoot is great, can't fault it.

I prefer the borderless Vertical too. A beautiful building, and the colours are something else.

Vertical: (the border-less one) This is a corker, simple and effective, perfect in my eyes. (y) (y)

Reshoot: oh boy you had best get rid of that now, she will not laugh at this when she's older - even if you think she will - you will be in big trouble when you show this to boyfriend no.1 in a couple of years. :LOL:

Like the vertical shot, very interesting subject and well composed. Prefer it without the border also.

Like the vertical without the border, works very well and quite mesmerising to look at. Value, fantastic light and composition

Cracking shot - well done! Bang on theme and such strong colours.

Thanks, it really is a cracking building.

Hi ya...finally got some time for a catch up.....

Vertical........not keen on the border as it seems ro distract from the overall clean sharp lines of that fab building...the verison posted without the frame grabs my attention much more , beautiful colors , textures & a superb blue sky....might have been tempted to crop to above the lower buildings...maybe

Value....great link to the theme....by heavens...what had you said to Isabelle ? Like the lighting & how it brings out the rocks...almost has an HDR look to it ?

Kind...not saying nuffink.......it's all been said.....

roll on Patterns .....plenty to got at me thinks (y)

Cheers, yeah, it appears the border was a no no :shake:

I tried to clone the lower building out but didn't like it. I wanted some of the floor in so crop was not an option.

I asked Isabelle to stand while I took a photograph..that's all it take for her to go into moany-face mode :D

Reshoot for value Andy, bang on theme I agree entirely about your view of family (y)
Great composition here, throughout the frame there are little elements echoed, Jackie and Isabelle surrounded by the lighter coloured rocks which in turn are similar in shape to the opening on the left, good work. Loads of detail captured too, plenty for the viewer to look at around the image then bringing them back to Jackie and Isabelle, certainly one for the family album.
I especially like Isabelle's expression, :LOL: priceless.

Vertical, my vote goes to no border too Andy. I find it a little distracting, taking my attention away from the main event, the building which makes for a really striking subject. I like the way you have really filled the frame with it.
Again, good work Andy (y)

Value, yeah I do like it. Pity couldn't get my flash off camera.

Vertical, another one for a borderless (y)

Vertical: (the border-less one) This is a corker, simple and effective, perfect in my eyes. (y) (y)

Reshoot: oh boy you had best get rid of that now, she will not laugh at this when she's older - even if you think she will - you will be in big trouble when you show this to boyfriend no.1 in a couple of years. :LOL:

Boyfriend :bat:

Appreciate the feedback (y)

The Value reshoot is great, can't fault it.

I prefer the borderless Vertical too. A beautiful building, and the colours are something else.

Cheers. The building was designed to rust and it's a cracker.

Like the vertical shot, very interesting subject and well composed. Prefer it without the border also.

Like the vertical without the border, works very well and quite mesmerising to look at. Value, fantastic light and composition

Vertical with no border is very nice mate, what a cracking building !!!

The sky is very complimentary to the bold colour of the towery thing - I bet you have been waiting agers to bring that into a theme, I know I would have (y)

Wow, never had a border tanked so badly...:D

I've been after this building in decent light with a decent sky for years. Finally got it.

Cheers all.

Excellent vertical image, lots of drama and impact, nothing I can fault really.

Pattern is also very clever, not only are the shapes the same but I love the way the colours are opposite. clap clap :)

love the imagination for pattern - detail in that tiny fern bud(?) is great. Got one of these in our garden and it'll shoot up in no time!!

Great focus / detail and BG on the fern, and again, focus, DOF and BG are top! (y)

thats an excellent idea the manmade imitating nature, nicely spotted and executed :clap:

Hi Andy,
I think you are being too critical on yourself, it needn't be perfectly symmetrical, it is implied. The contrast works well between the natural and manmade subject.
Both are well lit, the fern in particular has great detail and I like the fact that colours are opposite as Nicky pointed out.
Look forward to seeing what else you come up with though ;)

OK cleverclogs thats just a brilliant concept, technically excellent as always.

nuff said. (y)

Excellent vertical image, lots of drama and impact, nothing I can fault really.

Pattern is also very clever, not only are the shapes the same but I love the way the colours are opposite. clap clap :)

Thanks, I didn't notice the opposite colours until I uploaded them :)

love the imagination for pattern - detail in that tiny fern bud(?) is great. Got one of these in our garden and it'll shoot up in no time!!

Great focus / detail and BG on the fern, and again, focus, DOF and BG are top! (y)

Thanks, ferns are something that I thinks are very photogenic.

thats an excellent idea the manmade imitating nature, nicely spotted and executed :clap:

Cheers.

Back