Postcard Challenge Round Two - Song Titles

If it doesn't work and you still want to have a go let me know and I'll send you a nice little Olympus Trip to use. Its already been around the country on a challenge so one more journey won't hurt it. (y)

Hi Andy thank you very much for your kind offer, it should work ok not been out of it's case for about 15 years kept in a box clean and dry. What is the time constraint on the MC eg is it monthly? I will need to get the photographs developed in a Boots Chemist, scan the one I want for the challenge and then print it on to a post card or order on the net. :banghead:

Sorry for all the questions.

Carol

Well that's three more making 14. I will just hang on for today to catch any of those tagged with the @ to catch their eye and then send the final list out this evening.

Mark

@Crtm
Usually the time is slightly elastic with the F&C challenges due to getting pics devved/scanned etc. but we give it a month to begin with and then wait for the begging to begin before stretching it out for a week or two.:D

Andy

Thanks for your reply Andy off out today with my Canon 60D so will be taking my wee Nikon with me, thought of a few song titles I could have a go at. Have to remember to buy some film for it..........:thinking: do they still sell film over the counter, never though about that hurdle! I have a roll of film in the camera with about 8 shots fired off not sure what kind of state it will be in.....given that I opened the back of it not expecting film to be there! It will be fun to take this out and about as it will make me think about how I take my shots, when I used it before it was just for birthdays, high days and holidays with no thought what so ever in the shot it's self.

Wish me luck.......:nailbiting:

Carol

If you have a Poundland nearby they sell Agfa Vista 200 (its actually a re-badged Fuji film) which is really nice for a quid a roll and converts very well to b&w. Boots still sell Ilford b&w film and some Asda/Tesco have Fuji (I think) colour films.
If you managed to get the back shut quickly you will probably have only lost a couple frames and if the camera hgas been stored in the dark and in a coolish place the film might well be ok, although you may need to shoot it at a lower ISO than it states on the film. 1 stop per decade I believe is the current thinking.
One more very important thing to remember is not to 'chimp' the back of the camera after every shot, just makes you look a bit daft...:confused:

Andy

Thanks for your reply Andy off out today with my Canon 60D so will be taking my wee Nikon with me, thought of a few song titles I could have a go at. Have to remember to buy some film for it..........:thinking: do they still sell film over the counter, never though about that hurdle! I have a roll of film in the camera with about 8 shots fired off not sure what kind of state it will be in.....given that I opened the back of it not expecting film to be there! It will be fun to take this out and about as it will make me think about how I take my shots, when I used it before it was just for birthdays, high days and holidays with no thought what so ever in the shot it's self.

Wish me luck.......:nailbiting:

Carol
Depending on what your options are in Inverness-shire a lot of folk on here favour Agfa Vista available from Poundland for the grand sum of £1. Cheap processing is available from the some branches of Tesco and Asda, or there are lots of mail-order companies, have a look at this thread http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/film-developing-in-the-uk.341566/

Other options for film are the likes of AG Photographic, Silverprint and 7dayshop although there are lots of other suppliers, it spends on the type of film you want to shoot.

Well I have just had a brain wave I could use my scanner (Epson Perfection 4870 Photo) once I have had my film developed. I have all the plates and holders to scan my own negatives then print them myself, or try to. Never had to use the holders before so this will be a good excuse to use them and perhaps learn something.

Thanks for the info both of you regard the film, will buy some today, at a pound a roll it's not too expensive.

Carol

Last edited:
Many Boots shops sell their own film, a couple of Kodak colour options and a couple of Fuji colour options, as well as XP2 (a black and white made from colour film!) and HP5 (a "proper" black and white that's easy to home process but harder to get processed in most town centres). They may not advertise it, but try taking two films to the check out, and you'll probably get the cheaper half price. They also do processing and a scan (they call it disc or CD). You may not have the bigger Asdas up there that do processing but it's great for starters and test films if they do, else look at the processing sticky and the handy price estimator referenced from it. Max Spielmann and Snappy Snaps are two other options for quick and dirty work, but not sure if your local town will have them...

I'd be inclined not to rely on the exposed shots in your opened camera being OK, but the unexposed shots should be fine, subject to a little ISO tweak if the camera allows (one full stop per decade is a reasonable rule of thumb).

OK I'd like to join in if poss...

As we are printing these as postcards, do we put the song title on it like you would see a place name on a standard postcard, or do we leave it cryptic?

Hi All,

I took what was in the camera to Boots in Inverness the guy behind the counter was most helpful. I asked if he could just give me the negatives as I would try scanning them at home and the answer was yes, they just charged £2.00 which I thought was ok and I can come in with more at the same cost if I want. I have now found the plates for the scanner and in the process of trying to scan the negatives. Will let you know how I get on.

Carol

As we are printing these as postcards, do we put the song title on it like you would see a place name on a standard postcard, or do we leave it cryptic?

Or just the band name on the back and you can figure the rest out for yourself.

Carol

Ok the scans are not great!

Either there is something not right with the way the scanner has scanned the negatives or the film has degraded over the years (it is about 15 years old) or I have got use to digital and forgot what it was like to use this camera. I bought some Ilford XP2 Super 400 Black and White film as Boots did not have anything else, waiting for stock to come in and I did not have time to go to Poundland. Question will this film be ok to use in my camera?

Carol

Last edited:
Should be fine, can't go wrong with a bit of Ilford.

Final list, last call, now boarding......

RaglanSurf
Cg_Girl
Steve
wickerman
desf
Andysnap
Strappy
steveo_mcg
menthel
robhooley167
Nikon_Nick
Andy0306
ChrisR
JCoquillon
Crtm
Threeracers

Sixteen in so far and email about to be sent. Please check for typos and if you need to correct anythink do "Reply All" as we all need to know!

Mark

Last edited:
Have you missed me off the list Mark? :thinking:

Carol

Apologies Carol, I blame brain fade...... now corrected.

Emails to all are now sent so if you are on the list and have not had anything please let me know

Mark

OK, I'm feeling a bit thick here but what are the rules again. Do we just take one shot and have it printed on a postcard or several? And what do we do with them when they are finished. Sorry, I'm being very blonde today.

Andy

I think that it's just a case of taking a shot to fit the theme, get it printed as postcards and post them to all the others on the list that you should have received from Mark.

One other point of business, whats the "target" date. I hesitate to use deadline round here...

I think that it's just a case of taking a shot to fit the theme, get it printed as postcards and post them to all the others on the list that you should have received from Mark.

This.

Well, ive got my song title, and ive thought of the shot I want to get. Unfortunately, it means ill have to ask a complete stranger to pose for me :eek:

I still need to get both of them!

The way I chose my title was really scientific...

I picked up the first CD I saw when I when home for lunch, and picked the most interesting title :D

Ooooh you clever sod :D

Time for a trawl through iTunes tonight :p

Ok the scans are not great!

Either there is something not right with the way the scanner has scanned the negatives or the film has degraded over the years (it is about 15 years old) or I have got use to digital and forgot what it was like to use this camera. I bought some Ilford XP2 Super 400 Black and White film as Boots did not have anything else, waiting for stock to come in and I did not have time to go to Poundland. Question will this film be ok to use in my camera?

Scans can often be improved over just using the initial settings... but if those negs have been sat in the camera for years after being exposed they may have degraded. Just for a second there I wondered if granite might have something to do with it (I know Aberdeen has a bad granite/radon problem with associated higher radioactivity that might perhaps affect the film, not sure about Inverness!)

XP2 I like a lot, and it's easy to get processed... right back at Boots if that's the most convenient!

Scans can often be improved over just using the initial settings... but if those negs have been sat in the camera for years after being exposed they may have degraded. Just for a second there I wondered if granite might have something to do with it (I know Aberdeen has a bad granite/radon problem with associated higher radioactivity that might perhaps affect the film, not sure about Inverness!)

XP2 I like a lot, and it's easy to get processed... right back at Boots if that's the most convenient!

Hi Chris, I think it's because the film was old, I had a canister of film sitting around that I stuck in the camera and used today, had it developed at Boots (1 hr service) just to see, the guy behind the counter thought the photographs were bad because the film had degrade over the years. I do hope the ilford is going to be ok if not I can only assume its the camera that's not working correctly, if so Andy I might need to take you up on your offer. ;)

Carol

Try a bit of braketing, also for the first few shots make a note of the expected exposure it might be the meter is a little out or the blades have got sticky etc.

It would probably best you take me off the list, serious loss of mojo at the moment and not here much

Have fun though guys and girls, hopefully i will find it again soon

And me. A challenge, thats just the thing to get those creative juices flowing...come on...you know you want to.:banana:

And me :):)

Me too.

Got a few ideas and a packet of 7x5 darkroom paper so ready to go.

OK the main challenge is not really knowing any song titles! I might just send a postcard of a muddy river and claim it as "The trout" song cycle! :)

Back