Daily POTDer's Challenge Support Thread - Let's support each other

OMG just been out the garden without my camera and there was not one but three Bee Eaters just floating around above the field down from me. I could see them so clearly :bang:

You're not the only one Sam.... I'm 90% close to stopping!..... Not because of the photography side but the 'having to' .... I want to enjoy it...

I'm going to throw this one out there.

Why are you doing a 365 this year?

I'm doing one as a means to improve my photography, learn new techniques and to get me using my camera more! I'm enjoying my photography a lot more because of it and I feel like I've picked up plenty of new techniques. I've seen some improvement to my work, and now I feel like my equipment is holding me back more than anything! My 365 is running the rules that I can only use a DSLR (unless I break something), and the photo must be taken on the correct day, even if it isn't processed or put online that day.

At the end of the 365, I plan on making a book, so I can look back on it in the future, and hopefully, see how well I've improved from this 365 experience.

So there we go, thats my reason, what's yours?

i'm doing it as i'm stuck in an endless time loop .. constantly repeating the same day over and over.. i shoot a different shot each day hoping in vein that someone or something will end this torment for me :crying:

i'm doing it as i'm stuck in an endless time loop .. constantly repeating the same day over and over.. i shoot a different shot each day hoping in vein that someone or something will end this torment for me :crying:

Let me know where you live and I will relieve you of your camera gear :)

It's that simple....

Oh, wait you shoot Cannon ;)

Let me know where you live and I will relieve you of your camera gear :)

It's that simple....

Oh, wait you shoot Cannon ;)

you even mention again about touching my gear Mr P and i'll make sure your name has so much mud on it in the 52 section ... you'll be begging to be in the 365.... :bat:

..and yeah.. my gear don't need training wheels like yours Mr P. .. :naughty:

You're not the only one Sam.... I'm 90% close to stopping!..... Not because of the photography side but the 'having to' .... I want to enjoy it...

Yep, this.

I started this wanting to shoot more. I'm worried I'm going to finish it and not touch the camera again for a long time.

Yep, this.

I started this wanting to shoot more. I'm worried I'm going to finish it and not touch the camera again for a long time.

What I'm struggling with is the chore of it.... I used to go out often as I could weather permitting and then the days I couldn't get out I had a back log of photos to sit and mess with..... I miss that!..... Since starting the 365 it seems its more often than not that one shot and all else is forgotten!

If I may add two pennies ... I've seen a few people on flickr say the same thing ..they're calling it burn out..they reach 100 and bang ..something snaps. They're lucky to reach it.. They've tried 365 a few times too .. Failed and started again. I went from a 52 to 366 to a 365 ... Matt must be as stir crazy or worse than me by now..who knows.. Never met him.. Nice chap..takes a lot of windmills and spinning balls of wool....

But I do know...empathise with some of you wanting to post for the love of it than for the sake of it... And that's hard. Don't beat yourselves up though. I don't want to see any of you drop out ... But I don't want anyone to eat the mouldy cheese slice just to prove they're hard enough to finish it....its about growing. Learning. Sharing. Not always about finishing ..if finishing means you loathe what you've just achieved..

Hi guys. Im another who is really struggling again. After nearly quitting a month or so im back to feeling the pressure again, time is my biggest problem. As a self employed gardener this is my crazy season and im working mostly 12 hour days monday to friday and 8 hours on a saturday. I do keep the camera in the van with me most days but it is now a matter of just grabbing any shot I can for the safe of it. It is even a struggle to get the motivation to process shots and get them posted up at night. And apologies to everyone else on here, I havnt even had the time or motivation to look through anyone elses threads or comment on them all week. I have noticed this whole section being very quiet this last couple of weeks so it is very apparent that others are struggling too. Hopefully I can fight through it, I dont want to give up. All the best to everyone else too.

Phil

I like mouldy cheese :)

Puts hairs on your chest!

Who said this challenge was easy....

Man up people and snap what you see - I for one don't always comment but it's soooo interesting to see the the views of others lives...so if for no other reason than to satisify my nosey curiosity - KEEP SNAPPING AND CARRY ON!!!!

MMMmmmmmmm cheese.....

I like mouldy cheese :)

Puts hairs on your chest!

Who said this challenge was easy....

Man up people and snap what you see - I for one don't always comment but it's soooo interesting to see the the views of others lives...so if for no other reason than to satisify my nosey curiosity - KEEP SNAPPING AND CARRY ON!!!!

MMMmmmmmmm cheese.....

Jeff as much as I want to agree with you...soldier on .. They'll get through it...but its a personal challenge that just got personal... I can see it from both sides.. But I'm semi organised and becoming a long in the tooth veteran of this ...game.. I hope they heed your advice...push through and carry on..

Like my uncle Bernard used to say.. Pop the kettle on and start cutting the cucumber, kid..the vicar's walking up the garden path..

I know it's incredibly selfish, but I am kind of glad that a few of us feel the same way about this - it makes me think that we can all help each other (and ourselves) continue if that is what we decide to do!

And thanks for the motivation Jeff and (I think :thinking::D) Kev! (y)

Sarah - I am a little worried if your mojo is hanging out with mine and REFUSE to be held responsible for what they may get up to! :eek::LOL:

So many feelings close to how I am - the wanting to carry on but other things in the way, 'having' to do it (in my mind...no-one has a gun at my head!) and also thinking I wanted to learn more but afraid it's more about the 'shot'.

But, Jeff said something that reminds me of what I always say - "Man up people and snap what you see" - about my own and others' threads. It's not always possible to have a great, technically good, interesting, dare I say 'perfect' photo every day so, sometimes it's just good to have something that represents your life and then think about what you will do next. :)

I can certainly vouch for it being really tough to do, even for me as my project is themed and based on my sons 1st year, thinking of a different style of picture each day is mind boggling. I have a fair few times when I am not very well, thankfully I haven't missed a day. Despite this, I am enjoying doing my 365, it is allowing me to see changes in Xavier that I don't always see myself.

Also, sorry for not getting round all of the threads enough, I will try and get round at some point soon.

Hang in there everyone and well done for getting to this point :clap: Lets keep going all together (y)

Have to say it is getting harder to think of subjects, I'm trying to make a list of local things I could go to, but I will still carry on as I'm still enjoying it :) Mostly! :)
I do only work part time, which does help, as I do have time to go out or stay at home & get my shot, plus my hubby is still helping me to keep going.

I've stopped planning things to take pictures of. If I'm going out somewhere, I'll take my camera. If not, I'll just decide I need to take a picture of the day, grab my camera and wander round the house, see what hits me. I'm not sure what method is better, but I'm at the stage where i'm not stressing all day about finding something to photograph. All that stress is now compressed into half an hour, but then that's it. It stings for a little while but then the pain is gone, and I often surprise myself with what I come up with.. which is also fun! In short, I have no idea what I'm doing!

Last edited:
They are fillers because zero thought and planning has gone into them. It's just one to fill the day.

It's impossible to take a photo with zero thought.

I think you'l find it is possible and I have about 40GB to prove it - and that's JPeg!!!! :razz:

I thought for the the other 30 MB of 'stuff'!!

I also have 37 photos of floors, skies and god only know what when my camera decides to do the thinking for me.....I'm on a very individual journey!!:D

I also have 37 photos of floors, skies and god only know what when my camera decides to do the thinking for me.....I'm on a very individual journey!!:D

Mine does that too "Handbag fluff" seems to be one of it's favourites :D

I think you'l find it is possible and I have about 40GB to prove it - and that's JPeg!!!! :razz:

I thought for the the other 30 MB of 'stuff'!!

Now that really did make me chuckle lol

I think my point was why does that need to have a special name or tag - surely a photo is a photo is a photo. It's still a record of something, it's still an insight in to your life in some way. I just never occurs to me to call a photo a filler....

I think my point was why does that need to have a special name or tag - surely a photo is a photo is a photo. It's still a record of something, it's still an insight in to your life in some way. I just never occurs to me to call a photo a filler....

Jeff...I think maybe it was a phrase that was used once and ...well..simply caught on.. Like anything..fits and fads... It's the new black at the moment....nothing really meant..people just fitting in..

Me neither - I'll just say that this is a load of crap that I took because I had to do something, however it does not inspire me and I am not the slightest bit pleased with it any way, so please do not give it any serious crit - it's just not worth it.

Or is that too long and I'll just call it a filler :shrug:

Ok that's me done ... I can't shake the 'have to' feeling and I find I'm not taking as many photos as I used to before I started as my head is filled with the one 365 shot!

I want to go back to enjoying going out because I want too NOT have too and not wander the house thinking 'oh that'll have to do'

I shall still lurk here and support you all tho :-D

Ok that's me done ... I can't shake the 'have to' feeling and I find I'm not taking as many photos as I used to before I started as my head is filled with the one 365 shot!

I want to go back to enjoying going out because I want too NOT have too and not wander the house thinking 'oh that'll have to do'

I shall still lurk here and support you all tho :-D

That is a bloody shame T , I shall miss your shots on your challenge :crying:

No doubt I'll sound pious .. And maybe even privately flamed ... But I have not subscribed to the mass indoctrination of a photo a day..I might manage it...but if I have a bad day or the NWO wants me to drive on the right side of the road for a laugh...then I'll forgo that opportunity and catch up tomorrow...photos are going round in my head hourly..what can I do..generating an idea for yesterday as it didn't look right....

And I don't have this itch of I have to take photo...BUT... I do have a problem now having done these projects so long (imho!) .... Is that I struggle to take a Facebook photo....by that I mean a snapshot.. I can't just squeeze one off...take one for the team.. It has to be composed. Lighting..angles.. Smiles..can you see me.. And the moment passed minutes ago... I got irate when someone took my photo...for a laugh.. I knew it would end up on fb so I asked for a reshoot . Can we not do this.. Or over here where there isn't things behind me... These projects ruin lives..... Admittedly no moreso than the corrupt governments of the world being puppets for the rich and those of the NWO ... But that's another story...

But I will also add... A photo a day is hard? ..try the photo an hour... In a day.. I consider none of my photo24 shots a filler.. I was insane by the end of the day though so no operating heavy machinery or flying interstellar craft to a lonely planet to discover the origin of man...facepalm .. We're IN the matrix!....

That is a bloody shame T , I shall miss your shots on your challenge :crying:

Thanks Vince I shall still be posting to fb and probably more often lol

No doubt I'll sound pious .. And maybe even privately flamed ... But I have not subscribed to the mass indoctrination of a photo a day..I might manage it...but if I have a bad day or the NWO wants me to drive on the right side of the road for a laugh...then I'll forgo that opportunity and catch up tomorrow...photos are going round in my head hourly..what can I do..generating an idea for yesterday as it didn't look right....

And I don't have this itch of I have to take photo...BUT... I do have a problem now having done these projects so long (imho!) .... Is that I struggle to take a Facebook photo....by that I mean a snapshot.. I can't just squeeze one off...take one for the team.. It has to be composed. Lighting..angles.. Smiles..can you see me.. And the moment passed minutes ago... I got irate when someone took my photo...for a laugh.. I knew it would end up on fb so I asked for a reshoot . Can we not do this.. Or over here where there isn't things behind me... These projects ruin lives..... Admittedly no moreso than the corrupt governments of the world being puppets for the rich and those of the NWO ... But that's another story...

But I will also add... A photo a day is hard? ..try the photo an hour... In a day.. I consider none of my photo24 shots a filler.. I was insane by the end of the day though so no operating heavy machinery or flying interstellar craft to a lonely planet to discover the origin of man...facepalm .. We're IN the matrix!....

With the Fb thing... Any photo I post I have to be pleased with... No just snap and post.. It's who I am and what I love.. If someone was to post a random of me like they did on my 40th I hide on my timeline because its not how I want it lol!

As for the shot a day.... Originally to me that's what it was... The added challenge... I felt if I didn't I was cheating... Maybe if I hadn't been like that I wouldn't have stressed so much...... In hindsight I wish I'd posted a few rules to myself to keep in touch with what I wanted...

Take this week... Rat wasn't well so no school. I could have got cam out at home and taken random flower housey things.... But I had no wanting to do those... It would have been a have to again...

Evening peeps, well it's with a heavy heart that I have made the decision to call it a day with my 365. Those of you that have followed my thread, know that I have struggled to keep up and catch up following my recent break in, and if I'm being honest I have got to the point where I am seriously lacking motivation solely down to the thought of attempting to catch up and then continuing with the 365 after.

Also a combination of an ever demanding day job, and my desire to start to make more of a living out of my photography, means that something has to give. I truly enjoy the art of photography and the fact that I'm constantly learning from it, but for me another fear was that with the millstone round the neck of having to post a POTD every single day, I may start to loathe getting the camera out and I certainly don't want that to happen.

I am now starting to get more interest locally in portrait sessions, weddings etc, so a large amount of my "after day job" time will need to be spent networking, marketing, building up interest and of course doing shoots.

I saw the 365 as a challenge which initially I looked forward to and relished, but it's now to me become more of a chore, but the main thing that has come out of it all so far is the amazing contacts and friends I have made, and although won't be posting any more shots I will still be around to support all you guys and gals that are continuing, and also would like to thank you for all for your comments, feedback etc and your new found friendship :).

Please feel free to follow me on Flickr, Facebook etc as I'll definitely be continuing posting on there.

Well, Simon and Trace you will both be sorely missed - if you don't keep popping in to moral boost every now and again I shall be forced to hunt you both down :p

Trace and Simon, I am truly sorry to hear about the decisions you have made...not because I feel they are wrong (there are many reasons why any one of us won't continue and all are valid....I'm teetering on the edge myself...again!!) but because I have enjoyed your threads so much and the interaction you have had with all of us.

I look forward to seeing you round and about and just want to let you know that I have loved following both of you! :)

Have fun, both of you, rekindle the passion and SHARE with us!! (y)

Back