Produce & Share a Zine Round II (May - October 2020)

Funny how ideas spring to mind. I've put something together from my archive which is looking OK. Also got an idea to restart a project which might be zine fodder in time for this round's deadline. :)

I had so many ideas for this round, none of which I have made any progress with however I have had it mind for a while to do a zine of my lockdown photos so it looks like that will be it. not very original but better than nothing :(

I had so many ideas for this round, none of which I have made any progress with however I have had it mind for a while to do a zine of my lockdown photos so it looks like that will be it. not very original but better than nothing :(
Sometimes last minute, unplanned things work out well. (y)

My archive zine is as much about the layout as the pics.

Copied over from another thread
When we finally meet up in a pub and have pint in hand, we need to have a chat about this....

May be a zine swap would be a good time for a socially distanced meet up?

Or just a Cheshire crew gathering somewhere?

May be a zine swap would be a good time for a socially distanced meet up?

I'd love to. Sadly, home life is unpredictable at the moment, so all I could do would "hope" to be there. Not even sure the zine is going to get done tbh.

I'd love to. Sadly, home life is unpredictable at the moment, so all I could do would "hope" to be there. Not even sure the zine is going to get done tbh.
Fingers crossed that things improve at home and let's hope, no need to decide anything now (y)

BTW, I'm sure you don't need to produce a zine to come to a meet up and I'm happy to send you a copy of whatever I produce.

Last edited:
I'd be up for this all things being equal, whether I'd have anything to contribute however is a different matter :/
I don't think having a zine to swap would be an issue, just good to meet up.

I started trying to pull a zine together last night and it really doesn't feel like I've got the material for my fall-back idea, all other ideas having got nowhere over the last 6 months. I'm now contemplating trying to shoot something and get it produced in the next 6 weeks :eek:

I started trying to pull a zine together last night and it really doesn't feel like I've got the material for my fall-back idea, all other ideas having got nowhere over the last 6 months. I'm now contemplating trying to shoot something and get it produced in the next 6 weeks :eek:
I've gone from clueless to spoilt for choice. One completed, one in development and one at the planning stage. (Smug > :giggle:)

In the same boat, had a plan at the weekend, but an unsolicited bout of vertigo put paid to that, dunno what that all about, never suffered before, but it's all the bad bits about being drunk with none of the fun :confused:
Does not sound like fun, get well soon.

I gave it another go this evening and all is not lost :) having scraped the barrel bottom, I had a quick look underneath and found a few things that weren't too terrible to present to a wider audience

Last edited:
I gave it another go this evening and not lost :) having scraped the barrel bottom, I had a quick look underneath and found a few things that weren't too terrible to present to a wider audience
That's the way to do it. (y)

I don't want to get too giddy over this but I crawled out of my pit of creative lethargy yesterday, dusted off the old Oly and just might have a small project to share come October.......or I may look again later in the week and hit the big red "trash all" button................

Spent much of the past week editing images for this project and then this morning re-acquainting myself with Affinity Publisher. What I should have done is decided on the presentation before the editing :/ so I will either need to re-edit or compromise on the presentation. I suspect the former as there is still some time.

Every day's a school day

Spent much of the past week editing images for this project and then this morning re-acquainting myself with Affinity Publisher. What I should have done is decided on the presentation before the editing :/ so I will either need to re-edit or compromise on the presentation. I suspect the former as there is still some time.

Every day's a school day
I usually find that when putting a zine/book together my initial selection of pictures changes. Unless it's a simple set of pictures I always make sure I have more than the space allows before starting to put it togteher. Even then I sometimes have to go back and find one or more to 'fit' the publication.

I usually find that when putting a zine/book together my initial selection of pictures changes. Unless it's a simple set of pictures I always make sure I have more than the space allows before starting to put it togteher. Even then I sometimes have to go back and find one or more to 'fit' the publication.

It's not the selection or sequence I've buggered up but the presentation :) included a border effect through nik efex then decided I didn't want it, can't edit to remove the border and don't want to crop, so re-edit appears the only way. Thankfully I saved the base recipes used so should be easy enough

It's not the selection or sequence I've buggered up but the presentation :) included a border effect through nik efex then decided I didn't want it, can't edit to remove the border and don't want to crop, so re-edit appears the only way. Thankfully I saved the base recipes used so should be easy enough
Gotcha. (y)

There's quite a lot you can do to pictures within Affinity. Nothing too fancy, but borders are possible.

Well from having nothing, not even an idea, a week ago, I'm ready to send for a test print. It's quite short and I feel as though I've cheated a little in that it was all shot in one day, but putting it together has re-ignited the fire of enthusiasm, and I have another historical set which I think may make an interesting zine, so it has accomplished one thing at least.

What is the target date for number 3? :)

Well from having nothing, not even an idea, a week ago, I'm ready to send for a test print. It's quite short and I feel as though I've cheated a little in that it was all shot in one day, but putting it together has re-ignited the fire of enthusiasm, and I have another historical set which I think may make an interesting zine, so it has accomplished one thing at least.

What is the target date for number 3? :)
Shooting in one day can be good. (y)

Number three is probably due next March!

I've pressed the confirm button on my Mixam zine this morning, so it's all go. As it cost the same price for anything up to 25 copies, that's how many I have coming. Not sure what I'll do with them all, though they may prove useful in the event of another toilet-paper shortage. I'm not sure how absorbent 150gsm paper is though...

I've pressed the confirm button on my Mixam zine this morning, so it's all go. As it cost the same price for anything up to 25 copies, that's how many I have coming. Not sure what I'll do with them all, though they may prove useful in the event of another toilet-paper shortage. I'm not sure how absorbent 150gsm paper is though...
As long as it's not glossy 150gsm it should be OK. :giggle:

Number 2 is ready to print, and number 3, which is in 2 parts, is half finished, but unfortunately it's the easy half thats finished :/

I'm messing around in affinity with page design for number 3 but so far have only managed to make it look extremely tacky :)

I've just put another one together this afternoon from archive pics and it's turned out much different than I originally planned when I found some photos I'd not considered for it. Mulling over the edit I've done now.

What's Mixam's turnaround time like at the moment? I've had a complete change of mind and started something completely different, it would be good to get a test print done before committing but I am ware that time is running out on this round o_O

What's Mixam's turnaround time like at the moment? I've had a complete change of mind and started something completely different, it would be good to get a test print done before committing but I am ware that time is running out on this round o_O
My chicken book got held up through me not replying to a question from them but once answered it was turned round in the usual time.

I ordered mine on Thursday last week and it's scheduled to arrive on Wednesday this week. I didn't ask for a test print though (I wasn't sure how to!). That might come back to bite me on the ar$e if I've done something wrong.

I ordered mine on Thursday last week and it's scheduled to arrive on Wednesday this week. I didn't ask for a test print though (I wasn't sure how to!). That might come back to bite me on the ar$e if I've done something wrong.
Mixam's test print page is tricky to find - https://mixam.co.uk/sampletest

Q: Wait... Deadline?
A: Yes. Your zine needs to be finished in principle by 31st October 2020. You can then commit formally, and we will know how many people are taking part. Zines should be posted out after the 31st but before the end of November.
We don't need to go to print until after 31st October?

We don't need to go to print until after 31st October?
I'd be a bit uncomfortable if I hadn't at least got something in draft by the end of Oct though and I was working back from a month hence to now

I'd be a bit uncomfortable if I hadn't at least got something in draft by the end of Oct though and I was working back from a month hence to now
I've got two ready to print - one for the swap, one not. So I'm just budgeting. :giggle:

Back