Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
This challenge is now complete. If you're interested in having a go (or another go!) Round IV is here.

Got a project on the go that you never finish?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group on here?

This is a group project where all participants make a zine, then exchange it with everyone else taking part.

We're now in the closing stages of this challenge, so if you have a zine pretty much made and want to take part, go here.

IMG_1326.jpg

This is a thread that aims to get people printing and publishing their work, what you produce and how, is up to you.

What is a Zine? The word is a shortened form of the word magazine (or maybe fanzine?) and the product is a short, small format magazine - generally a small circulation, self-published work. For this challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or booklet format. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service. For this group a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a magazine with images that are the product of a project, or shot as a coherent set.

Sign-up, chat, banter, progress reports, questions and queries can all be posted in here.

You don't need to decide right now, there are a few of us who are committed to this so watch this thread, hang around, ask questions and start pulling together the content you might include, then when you are comfortable with that let us know. However on 30th April, we will be asking folks to commit yay or nay so that we all know how many zines to print.

- Link to the Book & Zine Making Thread.
- Link to the 1st zine exchange
- Link to the 2nd zine exchange

Some buried and useful posts.
- My tips for surviving Mixam's UI
- Dave's thoughts on the different print services
- My post on making a page ready for print using Lightroom & Photoshop
- Dave's post on potential zine storage options
- Graham's list of links for making a photobook
- My silly post on how to make a 6 page mini zine from a single sheet of paper
- Potential packaging suppliers (for postage)
- Typography - a mini discussion (with links)
- Flip through video example by Andy
- Procrastination. A TED talk linked by Chris

Off TP links
- Emulsive guide to printing a zine
- Dave's blog post on how to make a zine

FAQ

Q: So how much will it all cost?
A: My experience is that you can get a box of 25-30 zines from Mixam delivered for about £40. Then there's the postage to each person taking part. Previous zine exchanges have had less than ten entrants, so 10 lots of postage could be another tenner depending on the size of your zine and postage class (2nd is fine for this!)

Q: Most of the participants are crusty film shooters. Is this a film only thing?
A: Not at all. Shoot the whole zine with your phone if you like.

Q: How should I design it?
A: That's the challenge of making a zine. It's not just about plonking a bunch of photos in a book, it's about crafting something. Text or no text? Colour, monochrome or mix? Square, landscape or portrait (or mix)? One image to a page, or collages? A Google search for "Photography zine" will give you some good cover ideas too!

Q: How big should I make it?
A: As a minimum, I'd suggest A5 and containing 10-15 pages. Bear in mind you need to pay for it, and post it, so the bigger or heavier you go, the more cost to you.

Q: How many should I order?
A: It's up to you, but on April 30th, I will be asking people to commit yay or nay so that we can get final numbers of participants so that people can make appropriate print orders. Previous zine exchanges have had no more than ten entrants though and reading through this thread should give you an idea.

Q: Wait... Deadline?
A: Yes. Your zine needs to be finished in principle by 30th April 2021. You can then commit formally, and we will know how many people are taking part and how many prints we need to make. Zines should then be printed, and posted out after the 30th but before the end of May.
Edit 17/4/21 - The sign up process is detailed here.

Q: New images or old? Theme?
A: It's up to you, but most zines work well when based around a theme or project. I prefer to take new images for it, whilst others like to go through their back catalogue. Do what makes you happy.

Last edited:
@Cobra could you unsticky version 2 and sticky this one when you get a sec? Would be most grateful!

Also, if everyone else could have a read through for any errors, omissions, or general idiocy, I'd be grateful.

I guess I'l state I'm in for the record. May have to buy another plastic holder though!

:LOL:

your only issue will be deciding which one to send out! I hope its Meanygate meanderings
I'm getting a bit stuck at the moment with only three potential zine projects on the go. :giggle:

Although I might use round three as an excuse to get one going which I've wanted to do for a few years as a homage to a Keith Arnatt.

Meanygate Meanderings might make a zine at some point, or a selected edit from it at least. ;)

I'm so in.
On side note, anykne heard of zineswap.com?

Nope. Never heard of it. But it would be good to hear if anyone has used it.

I think that's 9 so far so we beat the Super Six and the Hateful Eight. Maybe try for the Dirty Dozen?

i'm in, and just to be clear I'll be leaving it till the last minute again and panicking
It's the best way to do it, spice things up with a nice frisson of false jeopardy. I might even have got round 2 out before round three is due :)

So is this only open to folks that shoot analogue?

*waits for Dave to start frothing at the mouth*

No. Shoot with a phone if you like!

(Edit to add I've updated the FAQ because we've had this question before...)

Last edited:
Going to be dead cheeky,
Do any if you have a copy of your last zine that you wouldn't mind sending me? Alas I don't have a zine yet to swap. But it'll give a good feel for what a Zine should be.

@Harlequin565 sent me his last 2 [emoji106]

Going to be dead cheeky,
Do any if you have a copy of your last zine that you wouldn't mind sending me? Alas I don't have a zine yet to swap. But it'll give a good feel for what a Zine should be.

I've got a couple with slightly damaged covers (Mixam sent me a few extra to compensate), PM me your address and I'll put one in the post this weekend.

I've got a couple with slightly damaged covers (Mixam sent me a few extra to compensate), PM me your address and I'll put one in the post this weekend.
My spares are undamaged but I can send one.

Going to be dead cheeky,

I've got a bunch of spares still, so PM me you address and I'll send you one of mine too.

Well after getting @Ed Sutton Zine and it's pictures from Southport and it's pier, I have produced my first Zine using old pictures, well not that old all taken this year, of Southport pier.
All the pictures are from my practice rolls as I got to grips with shooting and developing film, mixture of medium format and 35mm B&W and of mediocre quality.

I probably won't make this my official "Share-a-Zine iii" zine though. But going to order 20 to pass around. Shout if you want a copy, need to hold a few back for family and friends.

PM me

Last edited:
Would be great to see some of the Zines from the last round(s) happy to cover postage as I've got nothing to give in return, yet. PM me.

Going to be dead cheeky,

Would be great to see some of the Zines from the last round(s) happy to cover postage as I've got nothing to give in return, yet. PM me.
PM me your addresses and I'll send them

I have a plan, in fact, I have 2 plans, I may be early for this one after all o_O

I'm reminded of the amusing quote regarding gods and plans...

Back