Zine Swap Round IV (May 2021 - October 2021)

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Got a project on the go that you never finish?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group on here?

This is a group project where all participants make a zine, then exchange it with everyone else taking part.

IMG_1741.jpg

This challenge aims to get people printing and publishing their work. What you produce and how, is up to you.

What is a Zine? The word is a shortened form of the word magazine (or maybe fanzine?) and the product is a short, small format magazine - generally a small circulation, self-published work. For this challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or booklet format. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service. For this group a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a magazine with images that are the product of a project, or shot as a coherent set.

Sign-up, chat, banter, progress reports, questions and queries can all be posted in here.

You don't need to decide right now, there are a few of us who are committed to this so watch this thread, hang around, ask questions and start pulling together the content you might include, then when you are comfortable with that let us know.

Timeline:
May - 24th October 2021 : You come up with an idea, take pictures and design your zine. You can even build it in your software of choice.
25th October 2021 : This week I will be asking people to formally commit to making their zine. You will have 7 days to PM me your name & address to confirm your commitment. I generally tag anyone who has registered an interest to remind them, so if you post on this thread that you might be interested, I can let you know closer to the time.
1st November : I will send out a PM to all confirmed participants with everyone's name & address as well as a confirmed amount of zines people need to print.
1st November - 30th November 2021 : Everyone gets the appropriate number of zines printed and mails them out to everyone on the list.

Links
- Link to the Book & Zine Making Thread.
- Link to the 1st zine exchange
- Link to the 2nd zine exchange
- Link to the 3rd zine exchange

Some buried and useful posts.
- My tips for surviving Mixam's UI
- Dave's thoughts on the different print services
- My post on making a page ready for print using Lightroom & Photoshop
- Dave's post on potential zine storage options
- Graham's list of links for making a photobook
- My silly post on how to make a 6 page mini zine from a single sheet of paper
- Potential packaging suppliers (for postage)
- Typography - a mini discussion (with links)
- Flip through video example by Andy
- Procrastination. A TED talk linked by Chris
- A review of the different paper types supplied by Mixam

Off TP links
- Emulsive guide to printing a zine
- Dave's blog post on how to make a zine
- Another blog post from Dave about the thinking behind ZE:III (Zine Exchange III)
- Introductory post on using Affinity Publisher to set up an A5 zine (Sourced by ChrisR)

FAQ
Q: Can anyone take part?

A: Yes. However if you are outside the UK it will be OPTIONAL for people to post zines out to you mainly due to the cost. I'm happy to post anywhere, so you will at least get one zine, but it wouldn't be fair to force people to post outside the UK.

Q: So how much will it all cost?
A: My experience is that you can get a box of 25-30 zines from Mixam delivered for about £40. Then there's the postage to each person taking part. Previous zine exchanges have increased in numbers. 6, 8 then 15. Have a read through the thread to get an idea of roughly how many are taking part. Postage of a "normal" A5 zine will be £1 to £1.50 using 2nd class. (Large letter, then depends whether it's >100g or not)

Q: How many zines will I have to send?
A: Not sure. We'll monitor how many people show interest and we're mindful that sending 20-30 zines out will be expensive, so will be looking to try and limit the costs somehow should we get a lot of entrants. Rest assured that you can leave it until the last month before committing to the point of spending any money so you can make a decision then.

Q: How should I design it?
A: That's the challenge of making a zine. It's not just about plonking a bunch of photos in a book, it's about crafting something. Text or no text? Colour, monochrome or mix? Square, landscape or portrait (or mix)? One image to a page, or collages? A Google search for "Photography zine" will give you some good cover ideas too! If you're new to the challenge, ask in the thread to see if anyone will send you an example of theirs.

Q: How big should I make it?
A: As a minimum, I'd suggest A5 and containing 10-15 pages. A5 also makes storage easier. Bear in mind you need to pay for it, and post it, so the bigger or heavier you go, the more cost to you.

Q: What should the zine contain?
A: It's up to you, but most zines work well when based around a theme or project. I prefer to take new images for it, whilst others like to go through their back catalogue. Do what makes you happy - film, digital, or phone - doesn't matter. I'd say pick a theme or a topic and work to that but my last zine was a mess of incohesion and indecision, so don't listen to me! And if you want to put poetry in it, or scans of your paintings, or stick men on a mountain, that's fine too!

Q: What software do I need to make a zine?
A: Again - up to you. Many previous participants used Affinity Publisher as it has a relatively easy learning curve and is often available at a 50% discount. Photoshop will also do the job if you have the Adobe Photographer plan. Other programs are available though, so please ask in the thread if you're not sure.

Q: I have no clue what a zine looks like? Can I see some examples?
A: Andy did a flip through sample of one of his zines (see links above), and I'm fairly sure there will be some people happy to send you one of their previous efforts so you can see the sort of things we're doing. Just ask in-thread.

P.S. If you've got this far and are still thinking "my photography isn't good enough", rest assured it probably is. None of us are experts on what constitutes the "best photographs" but we are all experts on "what we see" which makes our/your view unique. Why not throw your photography out there? No one is going to say your zine is crap because.... well.... you're literally probably the worst critic of your work if you got this far, and this isn't about who is better than who. It's about looking at how other people see the world and experience it through photography. Your voice is just as valid as anyone else's. Add to the discussion rather than compete.

Last edited:
Count me in please.
I've got a few things on this summer and busy all of August, but hoping to be sorted by commit time.

Last edited:
A link to sources of small quantities of envelopes/mailers might be worth having in addition to my bulk supplier list.

Not sure if I'm in or out at this stage as I won't be making anything specifically for a swap in future. If the swap deadline coincides with me putting a zine together I might be in depending on how heavy it is and how many need posting out.

If the swap deadline coincides with me putting a zine together I might be in depending on how heavy it is and how many need posting out.
Either way it would be good to have you hanging around the thread for help and pointers :)

Like MrDrizz, I shall monitor. I'd love to join in but with other things going on, not sure I'll have the time. If not this time then next, I'm sure.

Go on then I am in
hopefully my second attempt will be easier to put together

now think about a theme?????

Life is still in the way, but I am following the posts.
Are any of the previous zines 'buyable'?

Not here on TP. However I'm happy to send you my efforts for nowt if you PM me your address. Other folks may also be happy to follow suite.

Thank you for all replying... I will send some pm's.
@viewfromthenorth do you have a link to your website...?

It’s at www.mechanicallandscapes.com. No idea when I’ll get round to putting it up as I’m a bit swamped currently but you’ll get a flavour of what I do, in fact if you look in the ‘Bookshop’ page you’ll see a flip through video of the first one I did. If you’re interested, let me know your address and I’ll send you one of the current ones.

50/50 on this one.

Have something I've been working on a while that might reach a nice conclusion, but October might be tight.

I have been keeping a watching brief on this and I may have a go this time. I have a couple of ideas and have bought the Affinity programme on the special offer so i could be tooled up. :) :oops: :$

I have just re read that - " a watching brief". How pompous is that ?:rolleyes:
More like stalking would be a better description.

I've been tempted a couple of times before, and probably should give this a go. I've a couple of ideas ranging from the traditional to the frankly weird (@Harlequin565 might have an idea what I mean by the latter!)...

Oh, how much difference does colour make versus black and white for (say) an A5 10-15 page zine like Ian describes?

Oh, how much difference does colour make versus black and white for (say) an A5 10-15 page zine like Ian describes?

Best thing to do is to go to Mixam's front page and play around with sizes, page numbers, page quality and colour vs black & white.

e.g. An A5, 20 side (10 page) colour zine with standard paper and no "heavier" cover costs £26 for 25 copies vs £24 in B&W. Virtually no difference.

However a 32 side (16 page zine) with heavier paper and a nice cover costs £37 in colour vs the same £24 in B&W.

I have no clue what their pricing strategy is...

The other thing to consider is that you need software that outputs CMYK for colour printing. In the first round I tried an RGB sample print with Mixam and the colours were all over the place.

I added a poll to Round III involving a zoom meeting and inviting participants to talk about their zines. If you are interested in participating in this but weren't part of the exchange (looking at the agenda it will be pretty much listen only!) please let me know.

I can't participate in the zoom meet
I only work 3 days a week , Sat,Sun and Mon

Well folks... We're over halfway through the 6 months... How's everyone doing? last minute job for everyone, or are things going ok?

Mine has been "in progress" for 2 years next month and it's time to finish it so I know what I'm doing, I just need to collate the images I'm going to use and decide if I need more.

A whole new set of images for me this time around and I have a plan of what I'd like to do. Whether I can translate the ideas into the pics I want is another matter. I've been out a couple of times and am a bit disappointed with the results so far.
I've had fun trying though!

I'm already looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with after the wonderful results of the last round.

I had selected a few to start off with but have not yet expanded with any new shots
Time to pull my finger out methinks

Well folks... We're over halfway through the 6 months... How's everyone doing? last minute job for everyone, or are things going ok?

Mine has been "in progress" for 2 years next month and it's time to finish it so I know what I'm doing, I just need to collate the images I'm going to use and decide if I need more.
That more or less sums it up!

I've got nothing and at bit of a loose end for now.
I was hoping to visit Paris for a project I've had planned for a couple of years.

Back