weekly Reanimated 52 - Fit/Water added... 2013 done.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya. Having completed a 365, I've decided on a more relaxed pace. Hopefully that means I'll do better at keeping the thread updated.

Week 1 : Sin
Week 2 : Season
Week 3 : Gravity
Week 4 : Wild 1 Wild 2
Week 5 : Space
Week 6 : Work
Week 7 : Gluttony
Week 8 : Time
Week 9 :Juxtaposition
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Anyway, here's the first. most obvious version of Sin - I have two or three more to shoot tomorrow.

Sin by DrHWest, on Flickr

The quote is from Book 9 of Paradise lost, wherein Adam points out that it's not actually Eve's fault. I've added the word 'free' so I could take the two lines out of the 200 lines of context :) .

Last edited:
excellent really like that nice processing and nice idea :clap:

Hi Tony...welcome aboard :wave:

Cracking image to kick off your project....love the pp..thats a texture is it ?

crikey...2 or 3 more to shoot......:eek:

Look foward to seeing them mister (y)

Ta, Allan and Lynnne. Yes, there's a texture on there. The corners have then been grunted with some brush work and the scratches added again with brushes. Two layers of the original image to allow softening of the skin and increased vibrancy on the apple. I think five layers of work in all, hopefully just looking like a texture's been slapped over the picture.

Second shot for Sin is much simpler:

Sloth by DrHWest, on Flickr

I do like your backgrounds, very nice. The first picture is definitely my favourite although I like the processing in sloth as well. First one - would prefer to see the redness of the reflection on her thumb toned down a bit as with the rest of her being so white is stands out a bit much and have you missed the masking on the bottom and lower left of the apple as it looks unfinished there somehow?

I am puzzled, you are doing a 52 instead of a 365 for the slower pace and then doing multiple images ? :D

Good spot on the apple; half of it was deep red. The other half was yellowy red; what you can see there is the change in colour. By the time it had been in the fridge for two days - for the third shot - the colour had evened out considerably. I'll see if I can redden it in pp.

I know what you mean about the shadow; Mrs West - my most gracious model - pointed at it this morning and said. "that bit looks s***. You are going to fix it, aren't you?' so it's on the agenda.

The biggest problem with stopping doing the 365 is that I'm kind of in the habit of doing pictures, lots of pictures... So there's a good chance that I'll end u with multiples of lots of them as inspiration strikes.

Good start to your 52 Tony, quite a work rate putting three images up (y)
A few observations if you don't mind?
The one with the arm holding the apple, nice composition, I like the processing on this, particularly the colour tones. A small crit, the arm looks disembodied to me, I think it's the shadow/layer in the bottom right hand corner covering the elbow.
I like the one with the hippo, just clipping the reflection is a little distracting.

Creative thinking with the letters cut out the apple.

Overall good work. (y) iain

Nice images, I prefer the last one and contrary to Iain's comment I think the disembodied arm makes the image, that along with the way its being held suggests that they subject it trying to disassociate themselves from the apple and by extension sin.

God that came out all pretentious, but I hope you get what I meant :)

Thanks for the comments, chaps.

The crop on the arm was actually a requirement of the model for vanity reasons (she doesn't like her bony elbows) and because I wasn't at work and didn't have access to my usual array of models I have do what she tells me :)

So now I just need to choose which one will be the final one: doesn't look like the murder one will get shot this time round - possibly for a reshoot. So which of the three should I use?

Last edited:
I do like this image Tony. I love the shape and pose of the hand and the colour of the apple sets it all off nicely.

Hi, Tony, from what I've seen so far, I think I'm going to enjoy your thread (y)

Textures, minimal and detail...work for me.

Sin, both crackers, #1, nice textured BG and detail in the Original. Hot spot draws my eye as does the lower right darker area. #2, another great texture, except from darker lower right :D, arm looks slightly over exposed. Nice flowing arm and text.

Season, liking the minimal nature of #1 and #2 works well as off season.

Cheers.

HWest said:
Slightly desat shadow: didn't want to go full grey as it looked.. well, odd.

Couldn't do much about the colour of the apple without it looking slightly fake - ironic, as the deep red looks fake anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67779256@N08/8342541771/
Sin by DrHWest, on Flickr

That's a cracker, great piece of art that you'd expect to see on canvas in a shop somewhere
Would be interested to see the original photo

That's a cracker, great piece of art that you'd expect to see on canvas in a shop somewhere
Would be interested to see the original photo

Your wish is my command.

Here's the original shot, before I burnt out the arm to make it paler. The only change to this rather than SOC is the crop to remove the bony elbow.

Sin - base shot by DrHWest, on Flickr

Great timing on season :) very niclely shot and lit

I think I'm going to enjoy your 52 Tony! Great week 2 shot

I sort of find myself distracted by the electrical sockets though....and the odd background reflection if I am being picky!!

Last edited:
Here's the second version of Season: unless inspiration strikes again before Saturday, this will likely be the one I use, but I won't lock it down 'til then.

Tony, this is a wonderful shot, great drama in it, love it. Yes, the sockets are distracting, but otherwise it's great. I'm not getting a really humming link to "season", though... (Also, it was pretty hard finding this thread to comment on! Something weird about the links, unless I've misunderstood. I ended up clicking on your TP name andlooking for posts!)

Tony, this is a wonderful shot, great drama in it, love it. Yes, the sockets are distracting, but otherwise it's great. I'm not getting a really humming link to "season", though... (Also, it was pretty hard finding this thread to comment on! Something weird about the links, unless I've misunderstood. I ended up clicking on your TP name andlooking for posts!)

Ohhhhh, strange. I'll have a look at the link in my sig and see what the problem is.

Thanks for the comments. I have a version where I 'shopped the sockets out, but it made the bottom corner of the pan look a little odd and the dealbreaker was that I lost the nice reflection of the flame in the worktop.

The sockets are just the price you pay for shooting in a classroom, I guess :)

I was a little disappointed with your first two season efforts Tony. And then you redeem yourself with your chef photo. Absolutely brilliant :clap:

Took me a while to figure out what was going on there. You need to try this with a real person :)

Took me a while to figure out what was going on there. You need to try this with a real person :)

Rather annoyingly, two of a mates from work went snowboarding on the hill out back at lunch yesterday, and exactly that happened: and I didn't have my camera.

Grrrrrrrr.

Here's the second go: third and final will be done on Thursday.

Slipped the surly bonds of Earth by DrHWest, on Flickr

Hi, Tony, quite like your second Gravity. Nicely frozen. Looks a tad blue on my monitor, unless intended. I had a quick edit to remove the footprints and it speaks gravity without the footprints more for me.

Looking forward to your 3rd submission.

Cheers.

Tony you are clearly very talented with the camera and P P stuff.

Sometimes your thoughts are a little to off tangent for me to understand, but ill enjoy keeping up with your multiple images

Much prefer your second gravity - couldn't work out the purple ski's in the first - the shallow DOF didn;t help here either.

Second is great - Is the flash lighting the way you can get away with a slow (1/20 sec) shutter speed?
Was it a mid air jump caught - or a stood on chair and edited shot? :thinking:

OK, last go at Gravity: I think this is probably the one that goes through, but I'm willing to be disauded if someone really like the snow one.

Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off... but not impossible by DrHWest, on Flickr

Irritated that her eyes aren't quite lined up with the floating molecule or quite lit, but I rigged the shot up for a male model who was taller and let me down at the last moment. However, pretty close to what I wanted and I learnt a bit about light placement in a non-studio environment, so that's the main thing.

ETA: Oh, and all the equations are legit gravitational ones - I got a physicist to do them for me :) (the model is actually a biologist)

Last edited:
Another great shot, nice

Hi Tony :)

I seem to have missed most of yours somehow :thinking:

You have some fantastic Ideas and really know how to deliver a great image !!!

For me Your last gravity shot is my fav, really well set up, great lighting, very convincing model and props - Love it :clap:

Really liking your Chef image too and the levitation one... I could go on and On, really look forward to your next shots :)

Definitely the severe lady scientist for me, no question! She can do physics AND biology! You're right, the eyes are well off the molecule; oddly, they even seem lower than her hand. But a very imaginative shot!

This is my favourite of your images this week. Nice strong subject placed in the right environment. Couple of niggles other than the eyes -
the molecule is slightly lost againt the writing in the background, needed to be in a clean space
depth of field needs to be slightly deeper to keep the molecule in focus

But other than that, more of the same please :)

Some great ideas Tony, you definitely have far too much time on your hands :LOL:

Some great ideas Tony, you definitely have far too much time on your hands :LOL:

Oh, how I wish that were true. :)

If I hadn't been rushing at the end of the day and scrambling round to find my model,mid have had time to reset the lights. I also would have adjusted the aperture to make sure the hand plane was in focus as well.

But it's all learning opportunities, innit?

Oddly,mthe thing that annoyed me the most is the little bit of cupboard sticking into the frame at the top left; the only reason I suppose is that I spent ages reconstructing that top wall to remove the posters about punctuation and spelling :)

Back