Recommend me an EOS film camera

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Is that a dirty word around here!?

Seeing as I have a few cracking EF lenses (I only realised the other day that these would work with one of these!) I quite fancy picking one of these up.

Firstly though, are they a bit pointless? If everything is automatic, does it effectively just become a more expensive version of my 6D but on film and the related costs, or does it still have the same 'film' feel or 'soul'? I realise that may be a pointless question as using film is a very subjective thing, but I think you know what I'm asking.

Any recommendations for something reliable (if that's possible) for under £50 body only?

Last edited:
Is that a dirty word around here!?

Seeing as I have a few cracking EF lenses (I only realised the other day that these would work with one of these!) I quite fancy picking one of these up.

Firstly though, are they a bit pointless? If everything is automatic, does it effectively just become a more expensive version of my 6D but on film and the related costs, or does it still have the same 'film' feel or 'soul'? I realise that may be a pointless question as using film is a very subjective thing, but I think you know what I'm asking.

Any recommendations for something reliable (if that's possible) for under £50 body only?
Over to you Canon boys :LOL:

T90

its the beginning and end of everything isn't it ??

I had an EOS 5 back in the day. I seem to remember it was pretty good. Looking on eBay they are in that price bracket.

For me the joy of film is partly in the feel of the camera. My preferred cameras being old school manual cameras. As much as I love my Minolta X700 and XD7 with their auto exposure capabilities I am increasingly drawn to using fully mechanical/ non electronic cameras because of their feel and simplicity.

Then again you will still get the 'look' and there are lots of forumites on here that make some beautiful images using newer automated cameras. It all comes down to what you enjoy. I'll admit that there are times when AF would be useful for me but I'm a stubborn Yorkshireman

Actually what I've forgotten to mention is that you will still have the excitement of rewinding the film and waiting for it to be developed, not knowing whether you have captured anything good or not. That's pretty special.

Thanks chaps.

The cheaper the better to be honest, as long as its reliable. I'm very curious how good my lenses will perform on film. Not too bothered on features as such.

EOS 300 SLR bodies go for around a tenner on eBay, if one of those is suitable?

You'll still get a lot of the pleasures of film from a more modern SLR. Automated metering and focus have the possible benefit of letting you concentrate more easily on the shot, so you can just pick a roll of film you fancy the look of and away you go. I love my manual Olympus OM-1, but also love the Nikon F70 I have.

If your budget is £50 and you can get a good, fully-working, EOS-5 for that (give or take a few quid) then you could be sorted. If you can extend your budget enough (by perhaps £100 or so) and you're prepared to wait and hunt around, then you might be able to find a Canon EOS-3 in very good or near mint condition, which was arguably one of the best 'prosumer' EOS 35mm SLR film cameras Canon made. You can find the spec and some reviews by Googling Canon EOS 3.

I've owned an EOS-3 from new and have recently started using it again with the EF L series lenses I use with my 6D. Reliable? Well, you'll be buying an old camera containing a mixture of fairly complicated mechanical and electronic parts, so it's probably down to the luck of the draw. If you can find a suitable camera form a reputable dealer then you should get a warranty with it, which could take a bit of the risk out of things for as long as the warranty lasts. If not, it's probably a case of trying to find one in nice condition and hoping it's a good one?

How do modern Canon EF lenses work with the last of the high-spec Canon EOS 35mm film cameras? Here's some photos taken with my Canon EOS-3 and Canon EF 24-105 L IS on Kodak Ektar 100 film. Hope this is useful, and best of luck finding a nice, reliable, camera if you decide to give EOS film photography a try.

Rolls by J White, on Flickr

Guard of honour by J White, on Flickr

img452a by J White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Watch out for some older Canon film cameras. Check the shutter as some older ones had a bits of a sticky substance from deterioration of seals. The later the model the better or buy the cheapest just to try it out. It takes me months to go through a whole roll of film!

Well I'm not an expert on digi\film Canon AF cameras but my 2ps worth of a reply might be of some interest:- The lens is important on a film camera so any film camera body is of less importance if you are not a pro.....anyway saw a EOS300 body in mint condition for £1 (at the bootie) and thought it's worth playing with and later I picked up a kit lens for £1, well IMO it's a very good camera so light being plastic fantastic and seems to do everything and even bought a EF to M42 adapter to take screw lenses. The AF focusing speed is roughly equivalent to a Canon 400d but think it's a bit slower compared to a Nikon F90x.
One point is EF lenses changed and believe the latest ones wont work properly with the EOS 300.

One point is EF lenses changed and believe the latest ones wont work properly with the EOS 300.
Not strictly true, ef-s lenses won't work but any EF ff lenses will.
Matt

Not strictly true, ef-s lenses won't work but any EF ff lenses will.
Matt

H'mm Well that's Canon to change from FD to EF to EF-s...anyway I'm happy with FD lenses and prefer the Nikon AF camera (F90x and similar) as at least it can take most newer Nikon manual focus lenses, anyway only use an AF camera for those times like fast moving grand chilldren.

Thanks all for the replies. I've done some reading and think I'll do my best to pick one up for £10- £15 and run a roll through it to see if it interests me. I suspect part of the charm of using my AE-1 is down to the fact that it is a different experience being mostly manual. I'll try to update if I have any luck!

H'mm Well that's Canon to change from FD to EF to EF-s...anyway I'm happy with FD lenses and prefer the Nikon AF camera (F90x and similar) as at least it can take most newer Nikon manual focus lenses, anyway only use an AF camera for those times like fast moving grand chilldren.
Canon changed their mount FD to EF many years ago and to be fair any old EF lens is forward compatible to any modern DSLR and any ff EF lens is backward compatible to any EF film body, each body/lens combination maintains full functionality and one can have confidence that the combination will work correctly.

Thanks all for the replies. I've done some reading and think I'll do my best to pick one up for £10- £15 and run a roll through it to see if it interests me. I suspect part of the charm of using my AE-1 is down to the fact that it is a different experience being mostly manual. I'll try to update if I have any luck!

If you are mainly a digi shooter and have an AE-1, I don't see the point in getting a film AF camera unless you have a problem with focusing....anyway it's a "been there done it" at a cheap price if still interested.

Canon changed their mount FD to EF many years ago and to be fair any old EF lens is forward compatible to any modern DSLR and any ff EF lens is backward compatible to any EF film body, each body/lens combination maintains full functionality and one can have confidence that the combination will work correctly.

Well on this forum a lot of us have manual focus primes and for me I have a stack of FD lenses but can't use em on the Canon EOS 300 :(

It's not the focusing that's a problem, I'm just curious what results I could get with my current lenses which if I wanted similar quality in FD form would have to spend a small fortune. But as you say, my original post acknowledged it may be a pointless endeavour.

I believe all Canon EF lenses will fit and work (giving full functionality) with Canon EOS 35mm SLR camera bodies, from the first EOS 650 to the last EOS 3. The Canon EF-S lens was designed for the sub-full frame EOS digital SLR cameras, and won't fit Canon's full frame digital cameras, let alone old EOS 35mm film ones! As the OP has a 'full frame' Canon 6D he will be using EF fit lenses, which should work with all 35mm Canon EOS SLRs, which I don't think is bad going considering the first EOS system camera (the 650) was introduced on 2 March 1987.

I found some info about which old lenses fit which camera on this link, which might be of interest or use? http://www.takebetterphotos.com.au/articles-SLR-lenses.html

The thing I like about the later EOS film cameras such as the 5 and the 3 is that you get something approaching a modern matrix/multi-zone metering system, options to change this to spot, centre weighted, etc. plus auto focus for when you need it (faster moving subjects, grabbing street photos, etc.). It also gives me the option to use image stabiliser lenses, which can be handy if the weather goes dull and you've got a 100 ISO part-used film in the camera! :)

As a lot of the F&C regulars will know, I also have other film cameras, dating from a 1924 box brownie, through 1930s and 50s roll film folders to TLRs, 35mm manual everything 'compacts', and a Canon A1 with a small selection of FD lenses. They all give me pleasure to use for different reasons, and can all produce some nice looking shots if the conditions are right. However, the EOS 3 gives all that, the ability to use modern IS lenses, eye controlled focus point selection (yes really!) and the ability to go fully manual if I want to have a more traditional experience and don't want to carry one or two of my other film cameras around as well.

Also, If going for an 'important' shot on film I can choose an EF lens, run some test exposures using my digital 6D (set to the ISO of the film I'm using), check everything looks right, then change the camera body to the EOS 3 using the same lens... and hey presto, I've got something akin to a polaroid back! ;)

Last edited:
Look out for an EF-M.. I have one with the gen flash unit.. It's a dream to use..!

Last edited:
My first Canon was an ae-1 and I still have it along with some newer canon film cameras plus FD lenses, I was slightly miffed when they swapped to EF mount, 30 years later those EF lenses still work on my digital bodies and my L series lenses work on those old film cameras.

Snap - a fully manual EF mount camera https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-M_camera not to be confused with EF-M lenses for the EOS M (as did the man who was trying to sell me the EF-M camera - got it for fiver with lens and flash in the end.

Congrats man!

Apparently the flash is quite rare too..

Mine was about a tenner and the camera a Fiver too :D Bargain and I can still use all my lenses.. Including the ridiculous looking Tamron 150-600mm :LOL:

Well, I got one off e-bay the other day and ran a roll through it, need to process asap, and must say the focusing screen is a delight (assuming they come out and are in focus), the split line helps loads and teh fresnel snaps in and out really well. Only slight issue, being an old beast it doesnt communicate to the lens that IS needs to be activated, unless I'm doing something wrong or IS only works when AF is active. Isnt a big issue, none of my FD series lenses had IS :)
Have to say I really enjoyed using the "new" camera, like a breath of fresh air, but, I did catch myself looking at the back to see what I'd taken!!!!
Matt

Back