weekly Richard, 52 week - Change added

HI Richard

what a bizarre structure.....very modern but with older style house in the bg..would work well if we ever get Juxtaposition drawn as a theme again :D I like it , sky you couldn't do a lot about but it does seem very artifcaty ( not sure that's even a word ! ) on the lhs ? Overall , yeah I like this one & image a high contrast B&W would work well too (y)

Vertical - what an odd shaped building but i like it good find for the theme :).

Yum - Fits the theme for me, i am just not to sure on where you have the focusing. I think for my tastes i would prefer it all to be in focus, but they look good enough to eat, feeling hungry now.

Good work Richard bang on theme, (y)
I love the warm colour tones in there but like Mandy, not sure about the focussing, my eye is drawn to the bright patch on the front bun.

Hi lovely warm oranges in there. It has an Instagram feel to it which works for me. As mentioned the OOF RHS is my only crit.

Cheers.

Yummy indeed. I too would prefer both in focus but that may reduce the blur on the background, which could be an issue. The brightness above the second bun/cob is a bit distracting as it is. Nice tones though - very warming and yum! Was it shot through glass?

Yummy indeed. I too would prefer both in focus but that may reduce the blur on the background, which could be an issue. The brightness above the second bun/cob is a bit distracting as it is. Nice tones though - very warming and yum! Was it shot through glass?
Yes you are right it was shot through a window. I deliberately focussed on the second bun but judging by the feedback everyone would have preferred all the bread I focus. Thanks for looking and commenting

Vertical - A strange looking structure. I'm wondering whether a contrasty mono conversion would look good with this?

Yum - Interesting processing on this one especially in the top third. As Posiview says, it has an instagram feel to it.

Hi Richard

I didn;t notice the camera strap until I read your words , my eye's are drawn to the cracking DOF & the scrummy looking cakes...partic the ones on the bottom layer where you've caught the moistness really well (y)

Loud...yup , works for me , sharp on the headphons , enough DOF to see whats going on (y)

I like your interpretation of the theme loud Richard your point of focus is the headphones and there is enough information in the oof part of the photograph to tell you what he is doing.

As for Rich I am with Lynne and Susie never noticed the strap all my attention was on the cake stand full of cakes.........making me hungry just looking at them!

Hi, loud works well nice DoF
I think the cake shot works but is a little too busy the guy in the white shirt is annoying me

Great action shot Richard nice capture and bang on theme as it is a skill first to ride a horse, second to be sitting on it at full pelt (40 odd mph) and as you say to have the determination and stamina to win!
I might have prefered to see a tad more of the jockey in 2nd place, I feel he has been cut off a little too much but hey to get the picture in the first place never mind where the jockey was in the frame was a skill in itself.

Skill - Super action shot and bang on theme for me as it is indeed a skill to be able to ride horses , I ride my self and very badly at that to. i really like the fact there has been no heavy processing done on this image, and that you can see the horses muscles in work as the jockey and horse work together to win the race.

Hi Richard

Loud is good - I wonder if a slightly different composition might help (less head / more head etc.) but the DOF is great, lighting good and perfectly in theme. I like the background - it gives good context
Rich - I find quite a lot of distractions here. I think this would be a shot improved by just having the subject in the shot (the tea) and nothing else at all.
Skill - brilliant capture. I like the positioning of the main/lead horse and rider. Beautiful lighting as well... Great focus and expression on the horse. Super! Only thing I'd do is brush some more clarity/contrast onto the horse to really bring out the muscles without affecting the rest of the image...

Great shot Richard, the detail in the horses is excellent, you've captured some great lighting (evening?) focus and colour look spot on (y)

Composition is a little unfortunate, would have certainly been better for me with just the lead horse :)

Edit- .....:thinking:.......or possibly more of the rear horse :D

Last edited:
Nice work, cracking light and detail on the front of the lead horse there.

Its easy to say better with more or less of the other horse, I agree it would have made a different picture, not necessarily a better one though.

Hi Richard,
Loud.. I agree with the others on this one:)
Rich.. a very busy image, cake are well caught although I think I would have liked a nice cup of tea with mine, the wine would taste awful with cake :)
Skill... lovely sharp shot, huge amount of skill there fits the theme well :)

Half... interesting take, but it's not setting my world alight. I guess not all photos have to!

Architecture... great shot of a super building and bang on theme. Nice and vertical, good exposure (could perhaps even be lifted half a stop or so?), good focus. Very solid shot and well executed!

Back