Ricoh GR III Owners Thread

Traded some gear in with A dealer and fancied trying a GR2. Unfortunately they have sent me a GR, I only realised when I was looking for the WiFi and was checking the current firmware. I have taken a few photos with it and I’m seriously impressed. I know the GR is more or less the same as the GR2 but has anyone gone from the 2 to the 3, there’s about £400 difference but I liked the GR a lot more than I thought I would and now wonder if it’s worth going for the 3 for the improvements and if the extra is worth it.

Traded some gear in with A dealer and fancied trying a GR2. Unfortunately they have sent me a GR, I only realised when I was looking for the WiFi and was checking the current firmware. I have taken a few photos with it and I’m seriously impressed. I know the GR is more or less the same as the GR2 but has anyone gone from the 2 to the 3, there’s about £400 difference but I liked the GR a lot more than I thought I would and now wonder if it’s worth going for the 3 for the improvements and if the extra is worth it.
As I said above I decided that at nearly half the price to go for the grii and I’ve not been disappointed. It’s a great camera! Obviously I don’t know if I’d have been even more impressed with the griii but it would be difficult!

Hi I haven’t had any other GR and started on the iii
I find it very accomplished up to about iso 1600 not great after that. The image stabiliser is just amazing it works for me down to 1/10 sec as long as the object isn’t moving.
The WiFi app is really good and I can transfer raw files to my phone and edit in Snapseed
The iii is insanely sharp in output it’s macro capabilities are relatively good
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Anyone else had problems with their GRiii not powering on properly when the On/Off button is pressed? Sometimes mine fails to respond until the fourth or fifth press.

From a recent trip to New York (Ricoh GR):

KP2jPVz.jpg

Had a play with the GRIII when I visited B&H, very impressed by the stabilisation, AF, and the resolution from the new sensor compared to my GR. Will definitely be a purchase in the near future, just can't justify it at the moment since my GR is still going strong after 5 years!

Hmmm... GR II has eaten my SD card!

It will take about 20 Large shots and then starts to write blank images ("Unmatched file" on playback). The last file will be half-written (you can see half a picture and then a solid area of grey/etc). The telltale sign that it has happened is that the green LED (for focus confirmation) flashes for a VERY long time after taking a shot.

Delete, reformat, repeat = same problem. Change to Small size photos, and it will save about 40+ before the same problem occurs. So it looks like there's a bad block (or similar) and the GR's format process doesn't avoid it, so each time it encounters this point, it writes rubbish.

The time that the GR format command takes is so short that it's definitely not doing a low-level format. So I presume the card is toast - unless there's some way to low-level reformat it on a PC/Mac so that the GR's card-writing process avoids the problem area. Might try that, although I'm not sure I want to trust a damaged card anyway.

The camera and card were babied by me. No mishandling, no water, no nastiness. Only actions that might be tangentially relevant: I did put the card into another camera (Sony) and take some photos, and I once forgot to put in any card, so used the camera memory and then copied the photos from memory to card in the GR. All of that worked fine.

Anyone have any similar experience or advice?

Hmmm... GR II has eaten my SD card!

It will take about 20 Large shots and then starts to write blank images ("Unmatched file" on playback). The last file will be half-written (you can see half a picture and then a solid area of grey/etc). The telltale sign that it has happened is that the green LED (for focus confirmation) flashes for a VERY long time after taking a shot.

Delete, reformat, repeat = same problem. Change to Small size photos, and it will save about 40+ before the same problem occurs. So it looks like there's a bad block (or similar) and the GR's format process doesn't avoid it, so each time it encounters this point, it writes rubbish.

The time that the GR format command takes is so short that it's definitely not doing a low-level format. So I presume the card is toast - unless there's some way to low-level reformat it on a PC/Mac so that the GR's card-writing process avoids the problem area. Might try that, although I'm not sure I want to trust a damaged card anyway.

The camera and card were babied by me. No mishandling, no water, no nastiness. Only actions that might be tangentially relevant: I did put the card into another camera (Sony) and take some photos, and I once forgot to put in any card, so used the camera memory and then copied the photos from memory to card in the GR. All of that worked fine.

Anyone have any similar experience or advice?
I’d probably do what you said, format in computer and then again in the camera. But SD cards die so probably just get another, better to have more than one anyway.

Borrowed a Ricoh GR2 for a few days or so from a mate of mine who's thinking of moving his on.

Anyone still using one, any tips/tricks to know before giving it a good workout?

If you like to take quick candid shots, definitely spend a day really mastering the snap focus thing.

Use the rear dial press to get to the settings you want so that you don't wade through the menus.

To lower the risk of sucking dust into the lens/sensor housing, when you just want to review photos you've already taken, use a long press on the Playback button. That will wake the camera but won't extend the lens.

Have fun. I did move my GRII on. Not for the card problem (above), but I just decided to take my street photography in a different direction and I need an EVF for that, (Because I have to wear reading glasses and getting them out so I can read the rear LCD is super annoying.)

Just bought a nice used gr2 , must say really enjoying it . Any body still use a gr much ?

Love my GRII only got it this year, just before March Lockdown. So not had a massive use of it, but do love it.

I must admit I’m really impressed by the output from the camera , iv had a few prints made and they are very nice

Was lucky enough to pop into the classifieds here just as a GRiii came up so I’ve finally succumbed. What a lovely little thing it is.

So much more responsive than my daily driver GR - which I never realised was so slow[emoji2]

Cant speak to the IQ yet as I’ve just been setting it up but I’ve high hopes.

This little beaut joins my GR1S, GRDigital, GXR and GR. Not that I’m a Ricoh fanboy or anything but every other brand I’ve ever bought (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Leica) I’ve ended up selling on but I’ve never wanted to sell a Ricoh.

Was lucky enough to pop into the classifieds here just as a GRiii came up so I’ve finally succumbed. What a lovely little thing it is.

So much more responsive than my daily driver GR - which I never realised was so slow[emoji2]

Cant speak to the IQ yet as I’ve just been setting it up but I’ve high hopes.

This little beaut joins my GR1S, GRDigital, GXR and GR. Not that I’m a Ricoh fanboy or anything but every other brand I’ve ever bought (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Leica) I’ve ended up selling on but I’ve never wanted to sell a Ricoh.

hope you enjoy it , i was gutted it sold as well

Absolutely loving it. I’ve always thought that the other camera makers could learn from Ricoh. Controls on this one are even better than the GR. Once set up you never need to dive into the menus.

I've just got myself a GR III and have a question....

How long does the battery take to charge first time?

It's been plugged in via the mains adapter USB connection that came with the camera for five hours now and the green light hasn't gone out yet. If I switch the camera on the battery indicator has moved to two bars from one.

Tha manual suggests that a fully drained battery should take approx 2.5 hours at 25 degrees. Its probably a few degrees cooler than that today, but even so...

Beginning to worry that there's a problem...

Thanks.

Last edited:

It's been plugged in via the mains adapter USB connection that came with the camera for five hours now and the green light hasn't gone out yet. If I switch the camera on the battery indicator has moved to two bars from one.

Tha manual suggests that a fully drained battery should take approx 2.5 hours at 25 degrees. Its probably a few degrees cooler than that today, but even so...

Thanks.

I don’t know but the GR 1 doesn’t take a particularly long time. Silly question but are you sure it’s plugged into the USB? I seem to remember it’s possible to get the sockets confused :(.

Thanks.
That doesn’t sound great to be honest. I have a GR3 and although I couldn’t tell you how long to charge from empty it usually isn’t that long.

Sounds a long shot but have you tried another cable to rule out that.

There's only one socket for the cable on the GR III, so I'm presuming I have the right one. :)

I see they removed the hdmi socket that the GR1 had.

That doesn’t sound great to be honest. I have a GR3 and although I couldn’t tell you how long to charge from empty it usually isn’t that long.

Sounds a long shot but have you tried another cable to rule out that.

I'll give that a go. It was charging for several hours and never got to the three bars stage. It's back on the zero-bars red icon now after messing with the camera (although not for long enough to drain it, I wouldn't have thought). I'm going to try re-charging the battery again from empty. Hopefully, if it's not the cable, its just a faulty battery rather than the camera (which seems to be fine otherwise).

Back