weekly Rob E's TP52 2015 - Alphabet and Sound

Thanks for the feedback.

Ive had some more success with my "Scenic" entry today... It's up on the BBC website :D Link here

Trying to get Milo (my dog) to look at the lens was quite easy, I just took his stick away from him! Its amazing how obedient he will be for a stick :D

Nice pair of shots Rob! Like the moss and lichen on the rocks in the foreground and it's pin sharp, nice dark clouds rolling in. The natural 'V' in the rock formation pulls you into the shot nicely and that ribbon of smoke gives an additional element of interest, it's a good anchor. Nice shot well deserved posting with the beeb!

Like companions! Is Milo a Golden Doodle? Just that my friend has one and it's a dead spit of Milo. (Ok just read Flickr, a water dog, can the thought then). Yes Dogs will do anything for a stick or a biscuit! Nice pose well shot, matching brown eyes :). They look like best buddy's good interpretation of the theme. Nice work(y)

Love both images but the Companions shot is especially nice. Two gorgeous pairs of eyes, taken from an unusual angle which really works.

Hiya,

Scenic - cracking shot and congrats on being on th BBC ebsite.

Companions - another good shot

Well done :)

Grats on the BBC choice for the landscape shot Rob! It's a perfect fit for Scenic. I must drag my sorry behind up Mow Cop some day. I really like the companions portrait too. Difficult to get right with such contrast in skin/fur tones, and I wonder if the pooch might benefit from a bit of dodging around the eyes?

Hi Rob

Fragile...simply wonderful ....nuff said :clap::clap:

Scenic.....another where I can give no crit.....story skies , fab colors on the rocks & a great view point :clap::clap:

Companions.....like the POV & great eye contact :clap:

Thank you all. Im relieved the companions shot has been received well because portraits are not my strongest part of photography. The results are very satisfying when you manage to nail the focal point and composition though :)

Thanks again for dropping by! I'm trying my best to give feedback to you all too :)

Hi Rob

Nicely done for Scenic... quite heavily processed but that can work with rocky scenes. I'd lift the exposure/shadows a touch more though and maybe lose a sliver of sky?

Companions - really like it. Simple and effective. Nice lighting which would allow you to pump up the contast a touch more if you wanted (but might then need to relift shadows on the dog?)

Great pair of images!

Lovely shots Rob, especially Scenic.
That's a belting sky!

Scenic - Nice landscape shot with some decent lighting and even better clouds. For me it’s the sky that make this image atmospheric and blends a feeling of quality to the scenery. Good one.

Companions - This one breaks the rules for you not taking it at eye level but blow the rules because in this case it really works. The fact that both subjects are looking straight down the lens is a bonus. The sound lady has got a nice expression but the look on the dog’s face is something else. A super companion shot.

Thank you everyone. Its great to hear different peoples opinions, it opens my eyes to processing techniques I may have never though of!

Anyway, its time for another catch up. I've been working lots of overtime lately in work so its meant time to sit at the laptop and continue has been difficult but I'm determine to complete every week's challenge!

Week 5 - Elegant
I shot this photo of a work colleague's car while our work's motor club were attending our first trackday at Oulton Park. It was a great day! I didnt take my car round but had a couple of passenger rides and loved it. I shot this with my 50mm f1.8 lens as I cant actually remember the last time I used it. It captured some great images though. I couldnt fully remove the chromatic aberration though :(

Week-5-Elegant by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Week 6 - Watery
This was one of the very early shots I took with my Canon 7D back in 2013. I had been playing with the 7fps feature for the first time (accidentally left the camera shooting just JPEG!) and took this of the waves breaking in Rhos on Sea harbor. I messed around with the levels of this shot in photoshop and accidentally created this effect. I have no idea how I managed to create it :LOL: I really liked it and its been my laptop's background picture since :)

Week-6-Watery by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Original JPEG
original week 6 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Porche, elegant indeed. There are a lot of distractions, and I'd have moved much closer to exclude the other car and the trees. A nice detailed photograph of the badge or the flowing lines of the car.

Water, quite an abstract feel to it. You've frozen the water nicely.

Cheers.

Elegant ... indeed. Doesn't get much better than that. I assume that IS your car BTW ....!!??

Watery ... love the way you've processed that one and glad you put the original in so we can see what it is. Hope you didn't get too wet!!

Both nice work. Well Done.

... and now for Bold ...!!

Elegant - I agree porches are very elegant looking cars, good work.

Watery - I really like it, plenty of texture in the image. And when compared to the original image the blue in the edited image really makes the whole image, jump out at you I love it.

I actually thought it was glass to begin with :naughty: until I read your commentary. Actually like the abstract feel to the pic and great to see the original image. Would never have guessed this was at the beach.

wow Rob - love the watery image! I thought it was glass to begin with too. You have made it look amazing. :)

Hi Rob
Scenic is just lovely, would look just as good framed on the wall!
Companions is a great shot too, I love the dogs expression and the fact that both their eyes are brown is an added bonus
Elegant, I am sorry but I am not so keen on this. The top right brightness, funny tree shape and the black car are the reason. I wonder that, although i do particularly like the coloured rear lights, whether a conversion to mono would make this image
Watery is a super shot, i just love that blue and texture, it's interesting to see the original version too

(y)

Elegant. Porsches are indeed an elegant ride (one of my directors has one), though this would have looked more striking in different surroundings.

Watery. The blue shot is lovely. Great for the theme.

Hi Rob,

Elegant - it certainly is an elegant car, but I think the top right is a bit blown, which is a pity.

Watery - now that's very good, I like it a lot

Porche, elegant indeed. There are a lot of distractions, and I'd have moved much closer to exclude the other car and the trees. A nice detailed photograph of the badge or the flowing lines of the car.

Water, quite an abstract feel to it. You've frozen the water nicely.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, Unfortunately there wasn't any opportunity to move it anywhere. We all parked up for a group shot and I only had a few mins to snap some photos.

Elegant ... indeed. Doesn't get much better than that. I assume that IS your car BTW ....!!??

Watery ... love the way you've processed that one and glad you put the original in so we can see what it is. Hope you didn't get too wet!!

Both nice work. Well Done.

... and now for Bold ...!!

Thanks Sara, Unfortunately it's not my car but a work colleagues! There were some very nice cars present that day. Everything from Saxos to Ariel Atoms! hopefully I managed to capture a fitting shot for the Bold subject today, I'll get round to processing it today or tomorrow hopefully :)

Elegant - I agree porches are very elegant looking cars, good work.

Watery - I really like it, plenty of texture in the image. And when compared to the original image the blue in the edited image really makes the whole image, jump out at you I love it.

Thanks Mandy, I wish I could remember how I managed to end up with the end result though!

I actually thought it was glass to begin with :naughty: until I read your commentary. Actually like the abstract feel to the pic and great to see the original image. Would never have guessed this was at the beach.

Thanks Mandy, I guess that just goes to show the power of photoshop :LOL:

wow Rob - love the watery image! I thought it was glass to begin with too. You have made it look amazing. :)

Thanks Michalene :)

Hi Rob
Scenic is just lovely, would look just as good framed on the wall!
Companions is a great shot too, I love the dogs expression and the fact that both their eyes are brown is an added bonus
Elegant, I am sorry but I am not so keen on this. The top right brightness, funny tree shape and the black car are the reason. I wonder that, although i do particularly like the coloured rear lights, whether a conversion to mono would make this image
Watery is a super shot, i just love that blue and texture, it's interesting to see the original version too

(y)

Thanks Hazel, I actually had the Scenic image framed! It's the first ever image I have printed and framed It came out wonderful :D

Elegant. Porsches are indeed an elegant ride (one of my directors has one), though this would have looked more striking in different surroundings.

Watery. The blue shot is lovely. Great for the theme.

Thanks Ruth, as hard as it is to stomach, this is nothing compared to what I see parked in my work's director carpark. They all get a brand new Bentley every few months!

Hi Rob,

Elegant - it certainly is an elegant car, but I think the top right is a bit blown, which is a pity.

Watery - now that's very good, I like it a lot

Thanks Lorraine. I was shooting directly into low sunlight when I shot this so I was expecting the sky to get blown out. I exposed off the car :)

Hi Rob .... not sure about the Porsche ... doesn't say Elegant to me. Cars can be darn difficult to photograph.

watery ... that blue is amazing.

Thanks Ruth, as hard as it is to stomach, this is nothing compared to what I see parked in my work's director carpark. They all get a brand new Bentley every few months!

I know that feeling....Director's Mrs has a convertable Continental. He himself has a Rangie, but his "toy" - an Aventador - is currently hibernating for the winter in case it gets dirty! :LOL:
My directors are car nuts.

It's a Porsche, I have nothing to add :)

Watery: great effect. You need to remember what you did as it might come in useful.

Elegant - I can see your thinking behind it but it needs a slightly more creative shot I think.

Watery - Love the abstract nature of this

Onwards and upwards to BOLD

HI Rob

Elegant....much as I dislike Porsche I will admit they are quite good looking .....like the low angle & shooting in to the light kinda fits the car........shame about the one on the left though , some people are sooooo inconsiderate :D

Watery......lol, I frequently managed to edit things & like the results but have no idea how I got there :LOL: From the SOOC you'v really come up with a striking image, frozen the action really well (y)

The Elegant shot was in a line of about 20 cars! The car next to it is a Williams Clio which I got the opportunity to go out in round the track. Very impressive little machine and very well cared for :)

Firstly, apologies for my absence and lack o f photos. I have been taking photos, I've just had a severe lack of time to sit down and edit them. Today I've managed to play catch up though :)

Week 7 - Bold

I caught this rather large fellow perching on top of the tree in our back garden. He looked very bold sat there with his chest puffed out!

Week-7-Bold by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Week 8 - Relax

Milo, our Portuguese Water Dog has recently taken a shine to the couch in our living room.....He knows he isn't allowed up here but I found him curled up looking so peaceful, I quickly grabbed the camera and luckily managed to capture him before he moved. I used my speedlite with my home made light diffuser and bounced it off the door (camera left). I'm still trialing the DxO imaging software so I ran it through FilmPack with some preference to B&W. I thought the boarder suited it quite well too which is something I don't tend to use all that often!

Week-8-Relax by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Week 9 - Vertical.

I took the camera out walking with me this morning and really struggled to find anything that fitted this week's theme. After an unsuccessful trip out, I came home, put the camera down on the kitchen worktop and found my subject for the week :D The good old wooden chopping board! I took this image with my Cosina 100mm Macro lens and processed it through Zerene stacker. I've got two versions of the same image for this week, I've just tweaked the perspective which I think suits the theme better.

Original Perspective

Vertical-1 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Modified Perspective version

Week-9-Vertical by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Hi, Rob, Bold, I actually prefer the detail and curves of the branches :)

Relax, I like the processing and tones in this one. Relaxed indeed.

Vertical, nice detail in the grain and nice warm colours.

Cheers.

Really liking the second, straight on vertical shot.
Very effective.

Version 2 for me too. The straight view satisfies my OCD mind. I really like the colour variations going on.

I really like Relax too. Milo's form and shape take precedence when we (I) can't see his eyes. Portraits like this work well I think.

Hi nice doggy pic for relax nice processing, vertical the second one for me also you have got some good detail in

Back