weekly Rowee's 52 for 2016 Week 8 - Topical added

Really like the droplets and the Nintendo shots. DoF a touch too narrow on the NES for me, quite grainy too which I'm assuming was intentional?

Your perseverance with the water droplets has paid off Mark - well done. Nice image - do they call that a crown? I do like the mini droplets. As for the Nintendo - brings back many fond memories so definitely a good one for Old. :clap:

Thanks Carl, yes I think that's a crown. I thought about using one of the other images with a spike but I think with the tiny droplets, it fits the theme more. With the Nintendo, I'm so disappointed that the light gun doesn't work with new TV's :( although I am just glad it still works really!

Really like the droplets and the Nintendo shots. DoF a touch too narrow on the NES for me, quite grainy too which I'm assuming was intentional?

Thanks Ian, I would tend to agree about the DoF, but the effect was essentially what I was aiming for. Yes the grain is an overlay to make the image itself look old :)

Water droplets look great, you must be very patient and the Nintendo shot is certainly a good choice for old.

Isn't that grand!
I Love the little iddy biddy droplets flying through the air, they really add to the dynamics.

B. :cow:

I'm not totally convinced that the flying droplets add anything TBH.
But having said that, its a very nice water splash (y)

Miniature - Well done on the droplets great result. I like the crown and the mini drops

Old - definitely on theme.

Really like the old photo, liking the dof you have used, miniature is a cool idea for the theme

Miniature - well done for persevering, it paid off with a very nice shot.

Old - I like the point of view that you have used and the DOF. Not so keen on the noise you have added but that's just personal taste. Good shot for the theme.

Water droplets look great, you must be very patient and the Nintendo shot is certainly a good choice for old.

A nice set of pictures, that cat looks mean, and the old nintendo brings back memories.

Old Nintendo is a great take on the theme and love the DOF and well done on the droplets - I have tried and failed miserably on many occasions !

Isn't that grand!
I Love the little iddy biddy droplets flying through the air, they really add to the dynamics.

B. :cow:

I'm not totally convinced that the flying droplets add anything TBH.
But having said that, its a very nice water splash (y)

Miniature - Well done on the droplets great result. I like the crown and the mini drops

Old - definitely on theme.

Well done with your water drops Mark ...not easy at all, but your patience has paid off.

Nintendo spot on for old.

Grrrrr. I hate people who can get those drop / splash shots to work.
Well done you :clap:

Excellent work on the water droplet shot, I have tried this my self several times and know how tricky it can be.

Really like the old photo, liking the dof you have used, miniature is a cool idea for the theme

Miniature - well done for persevering, it paid off with a very nice shot.

Old - I like the point of view that you have used and the DOF. Not so keen on the noise you have added but that's just personal taste. Good shot for the theme.

Wow, clearly I took my eye off the ball for a few days! Work's been a bit crazy! Thanks for all the comments everyone :) I really need to catch up on everyones 52's and see how everyone else is getting on!

I cannot believe it's Friday again already. Does anyone have a clock that runs slower than normal?

Here's my happy shot, simple and maybe not quite as punchy as I'd hoped but as the next theme has already been announced, I need to continue moving forward.

24658192956_c5a30664f1_b.jpg

ƒ/3.5 | 50mm | 1/160Sec | ISO500

Nice start to the year Mark,

Metal- very nicely lit and excellent use of DOF, others have already commented on the focus so I'll leave it at that. (y)

Captive - that's one kitty that doesn't look impressed, love it.

Happy - clever interpretation and nicely executed. It must have taken you ages sticking all those on :)

Ditto with me Mark - had to post to make way for the next. You gave some thought to yours - nice composition. Nice to see a happy smiley faces amidst all those glum ones.

Great take on the theme, nice bright smiley surrounded by the glum faces, well thought and well captured

Top idea for happy but looks a bit one dimensional ... if you must know. ;)

Clever idea Mark, (y)

This is maybe the easiest 'Where's Wally" I've ever played, but it's a nice, simple shot which raised a smile from me - which is the whole point, really.

Nice start to the year Mark,

Metal- very nicely lit and excellent use of DOF, others have already commented on the focus so I'll leave it at that. (y)

Captive - that's one kitty that doesn't look impressed, love it.

Happy - clever interpretation and nicely executed. It must have taken you ages sticking all those on :)

Well done for getting happy done, these weeks are rushing by.

That's a lot of sad faces but the happy one stands out nicely. Nice use of DOF again.

Happy - a good image that fits the theme.

Nice idea - I like the dof and placing of the happy face - where did you find all the sad ones?

Ditto with me Mark - had to post to make way for the next. You gave some thought to yours - nice composition. Nice to see a happy smiley faces amidst all those glum ones.

Great take on the theme, nice bright smiley surrounded by the glum faces, well thought and well captured

Great choice for the theme Mark ...love the focus, a very effective shot.

Top idea for happy but looks a bit one dimensional ... if you must know. ;)

Really well done love it and my daughter like it a lot. (y)

Brilliant. Looks great and fits really well with the theme.

Clever Happy, I like the colour too.

Clever idea Mark, (y)

Brilliant happy shot - made me smile.:)

Very Clever. I love the use of blue for unhappy counterpointed with yellow for happy. Clever use of colours :)

Happy - right on theme and good colours

This is maybe the easiest 'Where's Wally" I've ever played, but it's a nice, simple shot which raised a smile from me - which is the whole point, really.

Happy - Really like this nice take on the theme

Nice one for happy - that's a really neat take! Shallow DOF works very well for that composition. Colours also suit - looks good (y)

Wow, thanks for all your comments. I thought the image would work well for the theme but I did worry that it was a litlte forced.

Yes Chris it took some time sticking all the sad faces on. I was surprised how many stickers it required to cover such a small area!

Emma, all the stickers were bought from Amazon, I bought a pack of 700 sad faces and asked if they could swap one of the sheets for a sheet of happy faces. They ended up just sending me a free sheet of happy faces which was great!

Week 5 - Abandoned

Taken at Chester Zoo. Looks like someone had an idea a while ago but decided not to go through with it. I'm guessing they owe the hire company a few quid by now, it's been there for months

24794432805_d3d66ba71e_b.jpg

ƒ/4.0 | 28mm | 1/320Sec | ISO500

C&C welcome as always :)

Love the Happy shot, excellent idea and couldn't be more on topic. Selective colouring too?

Abandoned is on topic too, and although a bit washed out I kinda feel it fits the brief.

A good pair of shots.

Thanks Ian, no selective colour on the happy shot, but I did desaturate most of the abandoned image but left the digger and cement mixer in full colour

Thanks Ian, no selective colour on the happy shot, but I did desaturate most of the abandoned image but left the digger and cement mixer in full colour
I can't say I noticed re: the digger shot, and as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing! Easy to go overboard whereas you've added to the image without going OTT. Well done mate.

Really like the Happy shot as Mr Happy stands out with that punch of colour.

Abandoned is a bit dark on my screen. I know it can be difficult managing such a light sky whilst being able to see foreground detail. Try playing with the sliders if you have Lightroom for shadows and black.

Back