Daily Samuelslade007 2016/7 365 Popcorn and Malteasers - Day 161 Predestination

This is not a film I'm familiar with Sammy, but I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride (y)

you should check all of the films I'm including.... there are some good ones coming... (y)

..... you do like subtitles...right? just checking

sadly....you will be missing out on more than just one film then....
As above, in that case, I'll just sit and enjoy the ride / your interpretations (y)

Day 046

Manny: Hey, Wilee, I got an idea. Why don't you race me for it? You get to 28th Street before I do, I'll give you the envelope. We'll go through the park. Enter on 106.
Wilee: I don't have time for this b******t, man.
Manny: You don't got the legs for it, man. And that steel pig you're riding ain't gonna help you neither. Be like me, baby. Parlee, custom-cut carbon fibre!

25005793214_df19b83a43_c.jpg

Day 047

Wilee: I'm gonna shred the living s*** outta that thing.
Vanessa: Wait. I'll see you outside.
Bobby Monday: Hey! Where is the little s***?
Copper 1: Left him back there behind the bikes. End of the row.
Bobby Monday: You left him?
Copper 1: What, you wanted me to watch him the whole time?
Bobby Monday: No, I wanted you to give him the keys to your car, jackass.

25380574940_e9070819de_c.jpg

Day 049

Bobbi Monday
: s***. Yeah, what? What, huh? I'm a cop, you zipperheads. What are you going to do? What? Wait a second. Wait a second. I need a... Okay... Okay, just gimme a break. I need to think for a second.

25709352736_46284b48ed_c.jpg

Day 050 - Network

This story is about Howard Beale......who was the Network News anchorman on UBS TV. In his time, Howard Beale had been a mandarin of television. The grand old man of news, with a HU rating of 16 and a 28 audience share. In 1969, however, his fortunes began to decline. He fell to a 22 share. The following year his wife died, and he was left a childless widower...
...with an 8 rating and a 12 share. He became morose and isolated, began to drink heavily. And on September 22, 1975, he was fired...
...effective in two weeks.

25738292046_fed4660635_c.jpg

Day 051

Howard Beale: Good evening. Today is Wednesday, September the 24th....and this is my last broadcast. Yesterday I announced on this program that I was going to commit public suicide. Admittedly an act of madness. Well, I'll tell you what happened. I just ran out of b******t.
Booth director: All right, cut him off.
Max: Leave him on.
Howard Beale: Am I still on the air?
Max: If this is how he wants to go out, this is how he goes out.
Howard Beale: except I just ran out of b******t.
Booth girl: Mr. Schumacher's right here. Wanna talk to him?
Howard Beale: b******t is all the reasons we give for living. If we can't think up any reasons of our own, we have the God b******t. Holy Mary, Mother of Christ.
Max: Tom, what is it?
Howard Beale: through all this pointless pain, humiliation and decay... so there better be someone who does know. That's the God b******t.
Booth director: He's saying that life is b******t and it is. What are you screaming about?
Howard Beale: Man is a noble creature that can order his own world. Who needs God? If there's anybody out there...that can look around this slaughterhouse of a world we live in....and tell me that man is a noble creature.....believe me, that man is full of b******t.
Max: What's so goddamn funny?
Booth director: I can't help it, Harry. It's funny. Max, this is going out live to 67 affiliates.
Max: Leave him on.
Howard Beale: And I was married for 33 years of shrill, shrieking fraud.
Booth director: Mr. Hackett's trying to get through to you.
Max: Tell Mr. Hackett to go f*** himself.
Howard Beale: So I don't have any b******t left. I just ran out of it, you see.

25790707105_019eb6c2d3_c.jpg

its nothing in mr le-bra's library ...i feel certain of that sort of controversy
And you are quite right too ;)

Sci fi, horror and plain stupid for me (y)

And you are quite right too ;)

Sci fi, horror and plain stupid for me (y)

Sci first. ..yep got a couple u should Ave seen.... horror? Um......horror...................erm........ omg..... I canna see noo horror capt'in ....!!! Oh wait...that's sci-fi. .... omg Mt le-bra.... I'm going to play a game..and I'm the boot with all the orange money!!

As for stupid............. well 1 out of 3 of ur genres isn't bad....right? Use this year as a means of expanding ur horizons... I'll be including aussie and French films too... as well as Japanese and Korean titles a must....as they are heavily subtitles.....OOo. .. might be a German one I do believe..... can't promise anything....

How about fantasy comedy? With a mix of sci-fi? And romance.....bet u can guess that movie. .

Use this year as a means of expanding ur horizons...
I don't watch that many TBH, Ilet my son watch them first and he gives me the heads up, he's a real aficionado, of the silver screen.

How about fantasy comedy? With a mix of sci-fi? And romance.....bet u can guess that movie. .
A couple of potentials spring to mind but I'm going with Bar-bar-bar-umbrella :D

Day 052

Last night, I was awakened from a fitful sleep......shortly after 2:00 in the morning.....by a shrill, sibilant, faceless voice. I couldn't make it out at first in the dark bedroom......and I said, "I'm sorry, you will have to talk a little louder." What do you want me to do? Nothing.
And the voice said to me, "I want you to tell the people the truth. Not an easy thing to do because the people don't want to know."
And I said, "You're kidding. What the hell should I know about the truth?"
But the voice said to me, "Don't worry about the truth. I will put the words in your mouth."
I said, "What's this, the Burning Bush? For God's sake, I'm not Moses."
The voice said to me, "And I'm not God. What has that got to do with it?" The voice said to me: "We're not talking about eternal or absolute or ultimate truth. We're talking about impermanent, transient, human truth. I don't expect you people to be capable of truth... ...but at least you're capable of self-preservation."
And I said, "Why me?"
And the voice said, "Because you're on television, dummy. Beautiful. You have 40 million Americans listening to you. After this show, you could have 50. I'm not asking you to walk the land in sackcloth, preaching the Armageddon. You're on TV, man."
So I thought about it for a moment......and then I said, "Okay."

25793697066_6cc696d621_c.jpg

Day 053

Howard:
I don't have to tell you things are bad, everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the streets. There's nobody anywhere who seems to
know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat. We sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us...that today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes... ...as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad. Worse than bad, they're crazy.
Everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house and the world we're living in is getting smaller... ...and all we say is, "Please,
at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV, and my steel-belted radials.....and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone!"

Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest, to riot. Don't write to your congressmen. I wouldn't know what to tell you.
I don't know what to do about the depression.....and the Russians, and the crime in the street. All I know is that first, you've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm a human being, goddamn it. My life has value." So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window.....open it and stick your head out and yell: "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!"
I want you to get up right now, get up...

Studio Hand: Stay with him.

Howard:
...go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell: "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

...Things have got to change....

25746939892_2d836a0fa1_c.jpg

Day 054

Howard:
Edward George Ruddy died today. Edward George Ruddy was the chairman of the board....of the Union Broadcasting Systems and he died at 11:00 this morning....of a heart condition, and woe is us, we're in a lot of trouble. So a rich little man with white hair died. What has that got to do with the price of rice, right? And why is that woe to us? Because you people....and 62 million other Americans are listening to me right now. Because less than 3 percent of you people read books. Because less than 15 percent of you read newspapers. Because the only truth you know is what you get over this tube. Right now, there is a whole and entire generation.....that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube. This tube is the Gospel. The ultimate revelation. This tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers! This tube is the most awesome god damn force....in the whole godless world! And woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people. And that's why woe is us that Edward George Ruddy died. Because this company is now in the hands of CCA.....the Communication Corporation of America.

There's a new chairman. A man called Frank Hackett.....sitting in Mr. Ruddy's office on the 20th floor! And when the 12th largest company in the world.....controls the most awesome, goddamn propaganda force.....in the whole godless world.....who knows what s*** will be peddled for truth on this network.
So you listen to me. Listen to me! Television is not the truth. Television's a goddamned amusement park. Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats.....storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, sideshow freaks, lion-tamers.....and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business. So if you want the truth, go to God. Go to your gurus. Go to yourselves. Because that's the only place you're ever gonna find any real truth. But, man, you're never gonna get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear. We lie like hell. We'll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer... ...and that nobody ever gets cancer in Archie Bunker's house. No matter how much trouble the hero is in, don't worry.....just look at your watch, at the end of the hour he's gonna win!

We'll tell you any s*** you want to hear. We deal in illusions, man. None of it is true. But you people sit there, day after day, night after night.....all ages, colors, creeds. We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here. You're beginning to think the tube is reality and that your own lives are unreal. You do whatever the tube tells you. Dress like the tube, you eat like the tube.....raise your children like the tube, you think like the tube. This is mass madness, you maniacs. In God's name, you people are the real thing. We are the illusion. So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now. Turn them off right now.

Turn them off and leave them off.

Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I'm speaking to you now.

Turn them off!

25567205460_fe031de691_c.jpg

Ah that one rings a bell Sammy, title, meant something different back then, before it was a phrase coined by social media .... Yes?

Edit, bugger just seen the title a few posts up :D

Last edited:
Ah that one rings a bell Sammy, title, meant something different back then, before it was a phrase coined by social media .... Yes?

Edit, bugger just seen the title a few posts up :D

I feel it's ironic that Howard's words can relate to the Internet too....

And there's me thinking u would mention the snakes .. ??

Day 055

Mr Jensen:
I'm going to take you into our conference room. Seems more seemly a setting for what I have to say to you. I started as a salesman, Mr. Beale. I sold sewing machines and automobile parts.....hairbrushes and electronic equipment. They say I can sell anything. I'd like to try to sell something to you.

Valhalla, Mr. Beale. Please, sit down.

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale. And I won't have it! Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal. That is not the case. The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country......and now they must put it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity, it is ecological balance.You are an old man.....who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations, there are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no Third Worlds. There is no West! There is only one holistic system of systems. One vast and immane.....interwoven, interacting, multi-variate.....multinational dominion of dollars. Petrol dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars. Reichsmarks, rins, rubles, pounds and shekels.

It is the international system of currency which determines.....the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic......and subatomic... ...and galactic structure of things today. And you have meddled.....with the primal forces of nature! And you will atone.

Am I getting it through to you, Mr. Beale? You get up on your little 21-inch screen... ...and howl about America and democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM and ITT and AT&T... ...and Dupont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state? Karl Marx? They get out their linear programming charts.....statistical decision theories, minimax solutions.....and compute price-cost probabilities of transactions nd investments......just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a college of corporations.....inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Mr. Beale.....to see that.....perfect world.....in which there's no war or famine.....oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical holding company.....for whom all men will work to serve a common profit.....in which all men will hold
a share of stock.....all necessities provided.....all anxieties tranquillized.....all boredom amused. And I have chosen you, Mr. Beale.....to preach this evangel.

25791292771_9b69757783_c.jpg

Day 056

Max
: There's nothing left in you that I can live with. You're one of Howard's humanoids....and if I stay with you, I'll be destroyed. Like Howard Beale was destroyed. Like Laureen Hobbs was destroyed. Like everything that you and the institution of television touch....is destroyed.
You're television incarnate, Diana. Indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death....all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space....into split seconds and instant replays.
You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure and pain....and love.
And it's a happy ending. Wayward husband comes to his senses.....returns to his wife.....with whom he's established a long and sustaining love. Heartless young woman left alone in her arctic desolation.

Music up with a swell.

Final commercial.

And here are a few scenes from next week's show.

25283303084_e22884c603_c.jpg

Day 057 - V for Vendetta

V
:Tell me, do you know what day it is, Evey?
Evey: November the 4th?
V: Not anymore.
V:Remember, remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot. First, the overture. Yes. Yes, the strings. Listen carefully, can you hear it? Now the brass.
Evey: I can hear it!
Child in house: Look outside, Mummy! They're playing music!
Evey: How do you do that?
V: Wait. Here comes the crescendo! How beautiful, is it not?

Last edited:
Day 058

V: Good evening, London. - Allow me first to apologize...I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of the everyday routine... the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration...

Girl: Who's that, Mum?

V: Whereby important events of the past.... usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful, bloody struggle..... are celebrated with a nice holiday..... I thought we could mark this November the 5th..... a day that is, sadly, no longer remembered... by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are, of course,
those who do not want us to speak. Let me think, let me think. Even now, orders are being shouted into telephones.... and men with guns will soon be on their way.
Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation.... words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning..... and, for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is.... there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once
you had the freedom to object..... to think and speak as you saw fit... you now have censors and surveillance coercing your conformity.....and soliciting submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Certainly there are those who are more responsible than others. And they will be held accountable. But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty..... you need only look into a mirror.

I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired.... to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you. And in your panic, you turned to the now High Chancellor Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace.... and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night, I sought to end that silence. Last night, I destroyed the Old Bailey.... to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than 400 years ago, a great citizen wished to imbed the 5th of November.... forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice and freedom..... are more than words. They are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing..... if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you.... then I would suggest that you allow the 5th of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see.... if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek.... then I ask you to stand beside me, one year from tonight.... outside the gates of Parliament. And together, we shall give them a 5th of November...

... that shall never, ever be forgot.

25953437025_811e95d162_c.jpg

Now this is one I have seen fairly recently (y)

Day 059

V
: Now, would you care for a cup of tea with your egg?
Evey: Yes, thank you. I'm starving, actually.
V: Have a seat.
Evey: It's delicious.
V: Good.
Evey: God, I haven't had real butter since I was a little girl. Where did you get it?
V: A government supply train on its way to Chancellor Sutler.
Evey: You stole this from Chancellor Sutler?
V:Yes.
Evey: You're insane.
V: I dare do all that may become a man. Who dares more is none.

25346093714_45834afec0_b.jpg

......... I'm not too convinced u know.... (chin scratch) .....
Awww don't be like that,
Everybody is special. Everybody. Everybody is a hero, a lover, a fool, a villain. Everybody. Everybody has their story to tell ...

;)

Day 60

Bishop:
To think that I doubted your loveliness for an instant. Mea culpa, my child. Mea culpa.
Evey: Your Grace, we don't have much time and I have to tell you something.
Bishop: A confession? I love the confessional game. Tell me your sins.
Evey: This isn't a game, Your Grace.

25881868862_83701eb090_c.jpg

Day 061

Delia: It's funny. I was given one of your roses today. I wasn't sure you were the terrorist until I saw it. What a strange coincidence, that I should be given one today.
V: There are no coincidences, Delia. Only the illusion of coincidence. I have another rose. And this one is for you.
Delia: You're going to kill me now?
V: I killed you 10 minutes ago....while you slept.
Delia: Is there any pain?
V: No.
Delia: Thank you. Is it meaningless to apologize?
V: Never.
Delia: I'm so sorry.

25942906271_2908591475_b.jpg

Back