Daily Sarah's 365 31st December 2013 - The End! (CAN'T BELIEVE I'VE ACTUALLY FINISHED!!)

Interesting tree and a very eerie looking shot.

So sorry I tormented you with blue skies and puffy clouds :(

LOL but you can see what we had to put up with today :)

I'd really forgotten how flat the light can be in the UK, I was reminded of it at Christmas. But I only got my DSLR once I'd moved here - so probably don't properly appreciated the great light that I do get. In the summer it's completely the other way though and open shade is my friend ;)

I like this and mono really fits the mood, I mentioned before in someone elses how I love when we see the fog/mist hit the ground but still get some detail closer in. Great photo and the knarly old subject works well in it! (y)

That definitely portrays the weather we have been having well Sarah.

That water photo is really beautiful! The tones in the "first love" photo are perfect and congrats on 30 years! And lastly, the mood in the recent one is spot on! Love it!

I'd really forgotten how flat the light can be in the UK, I was reminded of it at Christmas. But I only got my DSLR once I'd moved here - so probably don't properly appreciated the great light that I do get. In the summer it's completely the other way though and open shade is my friend ;)

Certainly was flat yesterday, complete white out.

I like this and mono really fits the mood, I mentioned before in someone elses how I love when we see the fog/mist hit the ground but still get some detail closer in. Great photo and the knarly old subject works well in it! (y)

Thanks Sam, this is a little colour in there still :) I know what you mean about liking it when the fog hits the ground, it can look amazing.

That definitely portrays the weather we have been having well Sarah.

Thanks Phil.

That water photo is really beautiful! The tones in the "first love" photo are perfect and congrats on 30 years! And lastly, the mood in the recent one is spot on! Love it!

Thanks Toni.

Awwww congrats on 30 years that's lovely!

Yesterday was awful wasn't it and today doesn't look much better :-(

9th March 2013

The Artist

Candid photography is not something I normally do as I always feel too conspicuous & worry people might not like their photograph taken, but as today we were going to the annual Custom show at the local Harley garage, I thought I'd give it a go. This chap was completely engrossed in his work so didn't notice me at all. Amazingly steady hands to get the lines on this work.

9th-March-2013 by Sarah Brooke, on Flickr

That is well captured Sarah although I would have liked to see the top of his head included.
The work that guy is doing is amazing.

Very nice indeed - lovely detail and colour - not a fan of "just" clipped heads though... :coat:

Gorgeous colours and detail Sarah! Cropped heads don't bother me either tbh, that guide is quite handy(y)

10th March 2013

Opals

Some raw stones, they were mounted, but didn't like the mounts, so have to think of something to put them in. This shot makes them look huge, but they are actually quite tiny.
Very tricky to photograph as they all reflect differently, so was using self timer & three led torches moving at different angles.

10th-March-2013 by Sarah Brooke, on Flickr

Last edited:
very nice - you've done well with the lighting

Thank you, they are a tricky balance between making the colours flash to going completely white.

The "Artist" turned out really well, nice shot. Lovely colours and contrast in it.

Thank you.

Those are stunning!

Thank you, they do look nice for unpolished bits, Andy is going to have a go at polishing them & have them mounted in a necklace for me.

Wow they look beautiful!

Thanks Trace.

Well done Sarah, the colours in them look great.

Thanks Phil.

Wow, thay are just beautiful, I love opals :love:

Thanks Sarah, so do I they are my favourite stones.

Love the shot of the opals - a real gem! (y)

Artist shot: Very sharp and a good subject. My next 'theme' is going to be candid stuff - so I'll do what you have done and choose people who are busy. I know what you mean about people often getting shirty about having their photo taken. Sometimes it seems like we're 'stealing' images and maybe they see it as a kind of theft, too.

Cheers

Two great photos, in an ideal world the top of the head in The Artist could have been included but I was so drawn to what he was doing and the true focus of the photo I didn't notice until it was pointed out. Today's is beautiful and you did a great job with the way in which you lit those stones....very nice :)

Two great photos, in an ideal world the top of the head in The Artist could have been included but I was so drawn to what he was doing and the true focus of the photo I didn't notice until it was pointed out. Today's is beautiful and you did a great job with the way in which you lit those stones....very nice :)

Thanks Sam.

Great shots of the Opals...you've caught them beautifully (y)

Cheers Simon, was a bit tricky holding the 3 torches though :)

Hi Jake, fairly simple this one. Sheet of A2 Green paper made into an infinity curve with a piece of black card either side to cut reflections in the glass, light is natural in the conservatory.
ISO100, apeture f25 & shutter speed 2.5 seconds as I wanted everything in sharp focus on this one.
Then the RAW file was processed. The colour temperature was adjusted to bring the green background down from a brighter green to the more sage green colour of the finished shot & the yellows brought down a touch as they were too overpowering & not the right difference in shade between the outer & inner petals. Then
vibrance saturation etc adjusted to get the final colour balance & the a bit of sharpening applied & made sure it was straight.
Opened in photoshop and then ran it through NIK filter effex using the detail extractor to bring out the details in the bottle & glass then removed that filter from the background as I wanted that less detailed. Then just flattened the layers & saved.

Back