Sarah's 52 - FINAL WEEK - "Texture"

Thank you Jean.
Not effortless, but I definitely find this type of shot easier than anything else. No background to worry about, just a piece of black card . . . and more control over everything else than I'd have outdoors.

p.s.
I've put the rest of the set here if anyone wants to see the rest of them.

Well done Sarah. I commented already on your other thread. A great take on the theme, but I'm also going to bet it wasn't that easy to setup and shoot. You're doing some great work with the bridge and pushing it along nicely. I can't wait to see what you do with an SLR, bet you go DOF crazy... I did :D...

Wow Sarah, you have posted so many shots already that I am going to struggle to remember them all other than that they are all of very very good quality.

The two that stick out are Ebony liking her toy!! Fabulous :D the other is the lemons, so very vibrant!! I wonder if I could try something similar with oranges, as I am alergic to lemons!!

great start and hope you enjoy!! :)

Easy: Really like the idea! I prefer the second shot just because the water in the first looks a bit too heavy - more of a sprinkling would have been nice. The colours look great though (y)

You're doing some great work with the bridge and pushing it along nicely. I can't wait to see what you do with an SLR, bet you go DOF crazy... I did :D...

Thank you so much for your help and comments on the other thread !
:D Yep, I can see me going nuts with DOF when the SLR comes along. I think that's why I like the simple black background shots at the moment - there's no annoying background that I get frustrated about not being able to blur.

Wow Sarah, you have posted so many shots already that I am going to struggle to remember them all other than that they are all of very very good quality.

The two that stick out are Ebony liking her toy!! Fabulous :D the other is the lemons, so very vibrant!! I wonder if I could try something similar with oranges, as I am alergic to lemons!!

great start and hope you enjoy!! :)

Thank you. I seem to have slowed down this week, I think I've given up on trying to catch up on the missed weeks. I've decided that maybe it's better to just concentrate on one thing and try to do it well rather than last week when I ended up with 3 shots none of which I was completely happy with.

Sarah, these are excellent and just as good as my lemon effort, of the two I think the second is the better as the water is better.
Keep up the good work.

Mark

Both good Sarah, if I was pushed to pick, I'd pic the first, I like the patterns the water has made in front of the lemons.

Good shots.

Easy: Really like the idea! I prefer the second shot just because the water in the first looks a bit too heavy - more of a sprinkling would have been nice. The colours look great though (y)

Stunning colours and composition (y)

Sarah, these are excellent and just as good as my lemon effort, of the two I think the second is the better as the water is better.
Keep up the good work.

Mark

Sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of days.
Thank you all for the comments.

Mark, I have to disagree - yours had the edge for colour and sharpness I think, but thank you for the kind words :)

Well young lady what can I say that's not already been said...:thinking:

these are a stunning shots you are taking with that camera, so blimey are we in for a run for our money when you up grade...:LOL:

you have a great sense of view when you compose your shots and they work so well, don't worry too much about your comfort zone not being broken, when you can produce such fantastic shots...(y)

loving your photography...:love:

Both good Sarah, if I was pushed to pick, I'd pic the first, I like the patterns the water has made in front of the lemons.

Good shots.

Thank you Hyster.
I do feel like I'm improving and these are my favourites so far.

Well young lady what can I say that's not already been said...:thinking:

these are a stunning shots you are taking with that camera, so blimey are we in for a run for our money when you up grade...:LOL:

you have a great sense of view when you compose your shots and they work so well, don't worry too much about your comfort zone not being broken, when you can produce such fantastic shots...(y)

loving your photography...:love:

Thank you !
Glowing praise indeed - I don't know what to say to that, but I'm glad that you're enjoying them.

I have to agree with Marcus, that Lemon shot is stunning. :clap::clap::clap:

If this is what you can do with the camera you´ve got now then we are all going to have to watch out when you get your DSLR :D (y)

Sarah, I too started my 52 with a point and shoot, and it is good to get feedback on things such as compositiona and editing. I was amazed at the difference though when I got my DSLR, and the fun just keeps growing!!

Love the pics of your doogie, and well done on the cloning (it is not as easy as it looks) great shot! :clap::clap:

I have to agree with Marcus, that Lemon shot is stunning. :clap::clap::clap:

If this is what you can do with the camera you´ve got now then we are all going to have to watch out when you get your DSLR :D (y)

Sarah, I too started my 52 with a point and shoot, and it is good to get feedback on things such as compositiona and editing. I was amazed at the difference though when I got my DSLR, and the fun just keeps growing!!

Love the pics of your doogie, and well done on the cloning (it is not as easy as it looks) great shot! :clap::clap:

Thank you both so much. It's my birthday at the end of this month, so an SLR may be getting closer ;)

So many ideas this week and so little time to try them all out.

I've settled on the most colourful object that I could find in the house, so here's my little tribute to the 80's . . . Rubik's cube & Bubble Machine.
(well not quite a bubble machine, but you get the idea)

Things I Like

Some of you know that I've been struggling a bit with the lighting in these types of shots.
:) This week it worked for me. No colour bleaching, so no WB / saturation adjustments needed (except for a little bit on the reflections in the bubbles) and I'm pleased with where the highlights fell in between the squares.

The reflection of the cube in the bubbles came out better than I thought it would. I'm very pleased with that bit.

Things I don't Like

I didn't notice until I loaded this onto the laptop but the top layer and right hand side of the cube are slightly out of alignment - that's really niggling at me, but I don't have time to re-shoot.

I would have liked a few more bubbles in the shot. I did try cloning some, but it looked odd because they were all identical.

In fact I'm sure that if I spend more time looking at it I'll find more imperfections, so I'm going to stop now.

BTW it's the new "advanced" cube with 4 x squares to a side instead of 3. If anyone can give me some tips on solving it without resorting to a screwdriver it would be appreciated :D

rubik3v121.jpg

The Rubik's cube works really well for me and I feel could stand on it's own for this shot. The bubbles don't work for me and look out of place. (sorry) if you really felt the need to do a bit of coning how about some smaller versions of the cube...and remember it's your choice and if you like it then that's what counts...still a great effort from my point of view...:clap::clap::clap:

Lovely shot and good colours. I too think the cube stands on its own merit. Well done

Thank you both for your comments . . . no tips on how to solve it then? ;)

Funnily enough, this was actually going to be my submission, but I kept feeling that I wanted to add something else to the image . . . then I remembered that my nephew had left a tub of bubbles here last time he visited.
After reading your comments, I'm not so sure now.
Maybe I should have just stuck with what I originally had :shrug:

rubik3.jpg

Last edited:
I both agree and disagree with Spartacus and Corky (and I've only had one glass of wine - honesht. :LOL: )

I think the Cube stands on its own - the colours are superb and you've handled the contrast between the black and the white areas really well.

I also love the bubbles and the reflections of the Cube in them - a different take and very creative, imho. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

I'll be a pain and say I prefer your first shot Sarah, I quite like the bubbles and the second is a little too central for me.

Both fit the theme and you should definitely set about it with a screwdriver with all speed. I don't have much time for this thinking nonsense. :D

I both agree and disagree with Spartacus and Corky (and I've only had one glass of wine - honesht. :LOL: )

I think the Cube stands on its own - the colours are superb and you've handled the contrast between the black and the white areas really well.

I also love the bubbles and the reflections of the Cube in them - a different take and very creative, imho. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Thank you Jean.
I'm not completely decided between them myself. Should I have left it alone, or carried on playing with it? :shrug:
I think the bubbles would have worked better if I could have got the big cloud of them that I was trying for, but it just didn't work out.
I did clone a couple of extra ones in that shot, but any more than that started looking too fake.

I'll be a pain and say I prefer your first shot Sarah, I quite like the bubbles and the second is a little too central for me.

Both fit the theme and you should definitely set about it with a screwdriver with all speed. I don't have much time for this thinking nonsense. :D

Thank you Hyster.
In some ways I felt that the original single cube was a bit of a lazy shot - It took about 2 minutes to shoot and apart from a levels adjustment to the background it's straight from camera.

I feel that at least I put a bit more effort into the bubbles one in trying to get the reflections etc . . . whether it actually works better for the extra effort I'm still not sure.

Lovely idea, and you do fab for shots on tables/nice backgrounds, credit to you!

I like your colour one, but agree, the cube on it's own works best!!
Well done!

A pair of really good shots Sarah. I can't make up my mind which I prefer, I do like the reflections in the bubbles, although I suspect without the reflections they would just look out of place... As for help solving... I could never solve the 3x3 cube... in fact I have one in the state I could get them to, top layer solved, half the second layer...

Jean

I agree, I really like both of them (y)

The Rubik's cube works really well for me and I feel could stand on it's own for this shot. The bubbles don't work for me and look out of place. (sorry) if you really felt the need to do a bit of coning how about some smaller versions of the cube...and remember it's your choice and if you like it then that's what counts...still a great effort from my point of view...:clap::clap::clap:

I agree although there is nothing wrong with the bubble they dont really add to the image imo. Love the rubix cube though :clap:

Thank you for the comments on colour everyone!
I haven't been on here much in the last week to be able to reply individually, but I appreciate everyone taking the time to look.
I still can't decide on my favourite from that theme, but onwards and upwards . . . and onto food.

Good and bad for me this week . . .

Good because I've got my DSLR!!!!!! :D :clap: :clap:

Bad because I'm not really supposed to be playing with it until my birthday, so I just got to do a couple of "test" shots to make sure that it was all in working order.

It's also another theme that I had so many ideas for and just no time to put them into practice. I've been ridiculously busy at work and just haven't had time to put anything creative together either to "test" the SLR or for my Fuji :(

Anyway, here's one of my very first SLR shots. Just grabbed a handful of veg from the fridge so it's not very exciting. I'll try to do better next week when time is on my side (and if I can get my hands on the SLR early! :D)

IMG_0013.jpg

Last edited:
WOW 'quick shot' I'm yet to pull anything as fab as this out the bag and I'm now onto DSLR #2, Really love the DOF on this, and am hugely looking forward to more photos from you from the DSLR.
Love the colours too :clap: (y)

WOW 'quick shot' I'm yet to pull anything as fab as this out the bag and I'm now onto DSLR #2, Really love the DOF on this, and am hugely looking forward to more photos from you from the DSLR.
Love the colours too :clap: (y)

Thank you Shorty, I'm glad that you like it.
Honestly I don't think it's anything special. I just set the aperture and the AF point and snapped away. With a bit more time / thought I would have liked to rearrange the pods on the left so that they were a bit further back and maybe had a few more to the right.

Forget that actually. With a bit more time / thought I would have tried for something a bit more interesting than peas :LOL:

Looking forward to this week though, if I can persuade a certain someone to let me have my present early.

great idea sarah

could say its pod on :clap:

alan

Thank you Alan.

Just waiting for both of you to post your food shots now :)

Very nice indeed Sarah. That's spot on. As soon as I saw it I was reminded of that Pea advert, fresh as when the pod went pop. Well done on a cracking test shot with the SLR.

Very nice Sarah, it has a the feel of a product shot.

I must that's another fine shot you have put in for this weeks theme and it works so well, the dof is spot on and the subject work so well also.

There is so much to like about this shot...:clap::clap::clap:

Wow, for a shot you'd like to change I think it's fab! I like the way there are pods on the left. They come in bunches so should be photographed in bunches in my opinion. The DOF is excellent, the way the pod leads down from the right of the photo really grabs your attention, the wood or reeds you sat them on are fitting. If I thought of this I wouldn't be complaining!

That's a fantastic 'test' shot, Sarah. :clap:

I love the dof and the composition looks fine to me.

It looks as though you're enjoying your birthday present already. :LOL:

Jean

Thank you Jean.
I'm loving my birthday present . . . somehow I can't see myself lasting another 2 weeks before I get it out of the box again! :D

looks spot on to me and love the DoF :)

Thank you Ruth. I think I'll be going DoF crazy now I have an SLR.

Very nice indeed Sarah. That's spot on. As soon as I saw it I was reminded of that Pea advert, fresh as when the pod went pop. Well done on a cracking test shot with the SLR.

I hadn't even thought of that advert . . . but guess what I've got going through my head right now?
For an early test shot I was quite pleased with it, but there are still a few things I'd like to change.

Great shot that. DOF is spot on:clap::clap:

Very nice Sarah, it has a the feel of a product shot.

Thanks. I see what you mean about a product shot. Looking back on it now I can almost imagine something similar on the front of a bag of frozen peas.

I must that's another fine shot you have put in for this weeks theme and it works so well, the dof is spot on and the subject work so well also.

There is so much to like about this shot...:clap::clap::clap:

I'm glad that you like it. I have to say that it's growing on me.
Somehow it feels a bit lazy though as there wasn't much effort at all put into it.

Wow, for a shot you'd like to change I think it's fab! I like the way there are pods on the left. They come in bunches so should be photographed in bunches in my opinion. The DOF is excellent, the way the pod leads down from the right of the photo really grabs your attention, the wood or reeds you sat them on are fitting. If I thought of this I wouldn't be complaining!

More praise :nuts:
Thank you so much.
The reeds underneath are just a bamboo Japanese style place mat that I grabbed out of the cupboard.
I guess I was quite lucky with the way they fell when I put them there (although I still want to tweak it). The only manipulation was to open up the one pod and lay that over the front.

Back