Sarah's 52 for 2010 - Now continued in part 2

Shoot V1 gets my vote Sarah. I like all three of the images in your tryptich, the deep colours and dof are really appealling to me. The presentation is good too, I like the subtle background you have used too. The theme may not have appealed to you but I think you have done a great job. Well done. Iain

Version 2 all the way. I love that one!!! Really does look like an expensive greeting card.
Tryp look great too, but my vote is on number .

I really like what you did with the texture too. Usually I don't really like added texture, but it works in this picture.

Not very inspired by this week's theme. I'm with you all the way on that, Sarah. :)
I was trying to look on this as an "open" theme. After all anything taken with the camera can be said to be "shot".
I just couldn't get past the concept of Springtime and new plant shoots in the garden though :shake: It's a legit interpretation and I'd have definitely done garden stuff if I hadn't already done similar in my Growing project.

It's been a busy week and haven't had much time, so here are my very uninspiring and dull takes on "shoot".
One for the re-shoot week methinks :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

p.s. He was delighted with the car shots.
They're currently up on his gumtree page, pending the website getting going.
But I'm hoping to hear back from him when he's close to getting the website finalised.

I like the shots in V1 - they do what it says on the tin, even if it's not particularly inspiring for you. I feel they are a little overpowered by the very smart border, though. I spent longer looking at that than the pics. Sorry. :(

V2: I think this type of treatment is a minefield in PS, but you've pulled it off brilliantly, Sarah. It looks like an expensive art print. And I love the border on this - it sets it off a treat. :clap::clap::clap:

Delighted to hear your car shoot was a success. Good luck for lots more. :D

Jean

Sarah, Love your take on shoot, beautiful just my type of thing, very pretty and love the finish.(y)

Sarah, I've looked at your reshoot stuff and want to like them, but I can't. For me they're just too haevy on the pp looking more like paintings than photos. I think the people reshoot would have been an amazing shot without the work you've done to it.

Your quad shot works much better as the pp is much more subtle. Still looks unreal, but it's working for me. It's a shame the car and the sun are on the same side as it would have balanced better the other way.

I like the v1 shoot much more than the second version for the same reasons. I know this stuff is very much your style, and I don't want to be overly critical, but I think I'm just eager to see some nice clean photographs from you. :)

Although I am not a big fan of frames on images, I feel these two both work with the frame. I particularly like v1, as stated above it would make a great greeting card.

Very good pair Sarah... the triptych works well, and the canvas treatment on the single image is very good too. I think I'm gonna go for #1 though as my fave. Good job on the car shots too.

Love the framing in your shoot number 1 but prefer No 2 for the PP. never realised this could be done in PS.
The car shots are great too and it must be a great feeling to see your image being used in the way it is?

First one for me Sarah although both are strong in their own right. On theme well too.

Like the borders and the shot has more of a photograph feel than the second which is more of a painting.

The black colours help the colours stand out really nicely

Also the twig/leaf cutting through the flower on the right hand side of the second image is slightly distracting.

im amazed at the number of comments you recieve! Very jealous!
i do like the 3 shots of shoots for Shoot. Framing works well, individual shots are great nice bokeh, nice and sharp! the second option for shoot is made by the PP it looks like its been painted onto a stone wall!

going back to quad, im not a fan, i love the sky in both, but the freelander doesn't look real. to me it looks like its been drawn in. good luck with getting some work from it!

These are both nicely processed, I really like the subtle background image in the border of the Triptych your attention to detail is lovely and that's what pulls these images out from just the 'norm' I had thought of shoots in the garden but couldn't find anything in mine that the chickens hadn't eaten :D

Time to catch up on your thread Sarah.

2 reshoots and a quad ! Very impressive.

I like street. It reminds me of a road through Sherwood Forest when I was in Nottingham. Lovely dreamy quality to it.

People has the same dreamy quality to it but I don't like it as much as street. I can't explain why though :shrug:

Quad is a good shot but as others have said it is perhaps the wrong location. Having said that, it is a new Landrover and Tesco carpark is about as offroad as they can go :LOL: That's me in trouble now :exit: Well done on the commision.

Shoot V1 I think the border overpowers the shots a bit.

Shoot V2 is much better. Well processed and like an art print. The border doesn't detract from the picture.

Having said that, none of them really say "shoot". Sorry. They are great springtime shots but more flowers than shoots.

Andy

Andy

Sarah, another great week. I love the PP of the single flower, was it just a canvas filter on photoshop?

Nice composition and really beautiful DOF (y)

Both of these images work very well - not sure which I prefer. I like the individual images in the triptych very much but it feels slightly odd to me to have the first two pretty similar then the third so different. I think I'd prefer three versions of conifer buds, or three different plants, rather than 2 + 1. But maybe I'm just being anal.....

Your second version is a cracker, and the border sets it off beautifully. Generally I am not a fan of textured backgrounds like this but it really works for me here.

Just catching up - some great shots here! Love the canvas-effect shoot, car against the fantastic sky is really good & I like your re-shoots - especially of street.

Phil

think I prefer the second image for shoot.. love the texture and its such a pretty white flower too.. am a fan of textures, when done well... and this is done very well indeed so gets a big thumbs up from me!

good news on the car shoot too.. hope it leads to more :)

Hi Sarah,

Another overly late comment I'm afraid...

Produce: Marmite... Corwbar... Who cares. If it is Marmite, then I really like it. Have to agree with the others. Your photoshop skills are amazing. I love it as an amstract image. My favourite colour is purple though, so you're onto a winner to begin with :)

Quad: Very nice shots Sarah. If all he has a camera phone shots, I'm guessing he was blown away by these. Totally agree on the pixelated number plates. Maybe it's worth doing him one without a number plate at all (or anything else) to see how he reacts. Glad to hear he's delighted with the shots.

Shoot: It's wierd... Just like John (jgs001) when you struggle with a theme it really shows in the content of the photo. There's nothing wrong with your "shoot" photo per-se, but when you look at it in context with your other shots, it's not coming up to par. High quality work nonetheless and I like the (canvas?) finish on the second shot.

Ian.

Version one for shoot is phenomenal Sarah. That really blew me away. Great shot!!

I love the divided as it works very well and the opacity of the background behind the 3 images is perfect.

Very well done this week :) Ive finally caught up after having excuse after excuse :nono: :LOL:

I can't believe I haven't looked in here all week!
Thank you all for commenting . . . time for me to catch up I think :D

I like what you have done with the second shot, this could be a shot for a birthday/greetings card. Being as it is spring i'm surprised how many people have overlooked the garden full of shoots.

Hmmmm I'm still not sure on this one.
I felt like I needed to do something because the original was so dull, but it's still not doing much for me :(

I like your triptych of shoots. The second does look like a card but I'm not so kean on that one.

:LOL: That makes 2 of us (although I don't like the first much either TBH)

Shoot V1 gets my vote Sarah. I like all three of the images in your tryptich, the deep colours and dof are really appealling to me. The presentation is good too, I like the subtle background you have used too. The theme may not have appealed to you but I think you have done a great job. Well done. Iain

Thanks Iain. Very kind of you.
I don't think any of he triptych images were bad, but they just don't excite me that much :shrug:

Nice triptych Sarah - be happy ;)

congrats on the car job too, lets hope there's more where that came from

Thank you Dade . . . but no, I'm not very happy with it.

version 1 for me Sarah, The dof is great. i like it.

cheers

Thanks David.
The DoF is the one bit that I'm happy with.

Version 2 all the way. I love that one!!! Really does look like an expensive greeting card.
Tryp look great too, but my vote is on number .

I really like what you did with the texture too. Usually I don't really like added texture, but it works in this picture.

Thank you Vicky.
One of my other hobbies is cardmaking, so maybe I'll print it off and see if it grows on me as a greeting card.

I like the shots in V1 - they do what it says on the tin, even if it's not particularly inspiring for you. I feel they are a little overpowered by the very smart border, though. I spent longer looking at that than the pics. Sorry. :(

V2: I think this type of treatment is a minefield in PS, but you've pulled it off brilliantly, Sarah. It looks like an expensive art print. And I love the border on this - it sets it off a treat. :clap::clap::clap:

Delighted to hear your car shoot was a success. Good luck for lots more. :D

Jean

Thank you Jean.
I felt like I needed a border or something in v1 to give it some oomph.

I'm glad that you like the treatment in V2, although it's still not really working for me. . . with the treatment or without it.

Sarah, Love your take on shoot, beautiful just my type of thing, very pretty and love the finish.(y)

Thanks Nicki.
I'm glad that you like it. I suppose the reason it's not appealing much to me may be because it's a bit too pretty.

Sarah, I've looked at your reshoot stuff and want to like them, but I can't. For me they're just too haevy on the pp looking more like paintings than photos. I think the people reshoot would have been an amazing shot without the work you've done to it.

Your quad shot works much better as the pp is much more subtle. Still looks unreal, but it's working for me. It's a shame the car and the sun are on the same side as it would have balanced better the other way.

I like the v1 shoot much more than the second version for the same reasons. I know this stuff is very much your style, and I don't want to be overly critical, but I think I'm just eager to see some nice clean photographs from you. :)

Dean, please be as critical as you like. The best way to learn is through other peoples' critique . . . and you'll never be half as critical as I am about my own work !!!!!

Next week's is actually a lot less PP'd, although I've tried to keep some sort of dreamy feel to it. Be interesting to see what you think about this one.

Although I am not a big fan of frames on images, I feel these two both work with the frame. I particularly like v1, as stated above it would make a great greeting card.

Thanks Steve.
Unfortunately these were so dull that I felt like I needed some extra oomph in the border, so I'm glad that it went down well.

Very good pair Sarah... the triptych works well, and the canvas treatment on the single image is very good too. I think I'm gonna go for #1 though as my fave. Good job on the car shots too.

Thank you John.
I'm still undecided between them, although neither are really wowing me.

Love the framing in your shoot number 1 but prefer No 2 for the PP. never realised this could be done in PS.
The car shots are great too and it must be a great feeling to see your image being used in the way it is?

Thank you.
The canvas effect is just one of the standard filters in PS. I'm not generally a big fan of it, but I wanted to try to liven this one up a bit.

First one for me Sarah although both are strong in their own right. On theme well too.

Like the borders and the shot has more of a photograph feel than the second which is more of a painting.

The black colours help the colours stand out really nicely

Also the twig/leaf cutting through the flower on the right hand side of the second image is slightly distracting.

Thank you Dan.
I noticed that twig after I'd uploaded - a combination of laziness and not feeling inspired by this shot meant I couldn't be bothered to try cloning it out (sorry)

im amazed at the number of comments you recieve! Very jealous!
i do like the 3 shots of shoots for Shoot. Framing works well, individual shots are great nice bokeh, nice and sharp! the second option for shoot is made by the PP it looks like its been painted onto a stone wall!

going back to quad, im not a fan, i love the sky in both, but the freelander doesn't look real. to me it looks like its been drawn in. good luck with getting some work from it!

Thank you Peter.
And don't worry about the number of comments you're getting. There are so many 52s on here that it's hard for people to get around all of them.

Strange you should say that about the car.
Not much PP in it, other than a separate curves adjustment in the sky. Possible the effect of the polarising filter I used.

These are both nicely processed, I really like the subtle background image in the border of the Triptych your attention to detail is lovely and that's what pulls these images out from just the 'norm' I had thought of shoots in the garden but couldn't find anything in mine that the chickens hadn't eaten :D

Thanks Sonia.
I guess chickens are kind of hard to crowbar into "shoot" week. Glad you like the border in v1. That's the only bit I really like about it!

Time to catch up on your thread Sarah.

2 reshoots and a quad ! Very impressive.

I like street. It reminds me of a road through Sherwood Forest when I was in Nottingham. Lovely dreamy quality to it.

People has the same dreamy quality to it but I don't like it as much as street. I can't explain why though :shrug:

Quad is a good shot but as others have said it is perhaps the wrong location. Having said that, it is a new Landrover and Tesco carpark is about as offroad as they can go :LOL: That's me in trouble now :exit: Well done on the commision.

Shoot V1 I think the border overpowers the shots a bit.

Shoot V2 is much better. Well processed and like an art print. The border doesn't detract from the picture.

Having said that, none of them really say "shoot". Sorry. They are great springtime shots but more flowers than shoots.

Andy

Andy

Thanks Andy.
And I'll let you off with the Landrover comment, since you were kind enough to offer so much critique ;)

FWIW I'm with you on the shoot images. Reshoot coming up shortly.

Sarah, another great week. I love the PP of the single flower, was it just a canvas filter on photoshop?

Nice composition and really beautiful DOF (y)

Hi Gary - Yep just the canvas filter in PS.
On a duplicate layer and opacity turned down to minimise it a bit.
Thank you for your comments.

Both of these images work very well - not sure which I prefer. I like the individual images in the triptych very much but it feels slightly odd to me to have the first two pretty similar then the third so different. I think I'd prefer three versions of conifer buds, or three different plants, rather than 2 + 1. But maybe I'm just being anal.....

Your second version is a cracker, and the border sets it off beautifully. Generally I am not a fan of textured backgrounds like this but it really works for me here.

No, you're not being anal at all :LOL:
I happen to agree with you completely on that.

Glad that you liked the second one though :)

I like the second of your flower shot photos. It had a homely beauty to it. A comforting feel. Great stuff. x

Thanks for popping in Nat.
Glad that you like it.

Shoot version 1 for me. Great work :)

Thank you Rich

Just catching up - some great shots here! Love the canvas-effect shoot, car against the fantastic sky is really good & I like your re-shoots - especially of street.

Phil

Thanks Phil.
I'm particularly happy that you like the street reshoot because that is one of my favouites.

think I prefer the second image for shoot.. love the texture and its such a pretty white flower too.. am a fan of textures, when done well... and this is done very well indeed so gets a big thumbs up from me!

good news on the car shoot too.. hope it leads to more :)

Thanks Mich.
I might not like these shots very much, but its nice to know that people think I got the balance right with the texture.

Hi Sarah,

Another overly late comment I'm afraid...

Produce: Marmite... Corwbar... Who cares. If it is Marmite, then I really like it. Have to agree with the others. Your photoshop skills are amazing. I love it as an amstract image. My favourite colour is purple though, so you're onto a winner to begin with :)

Quad: Very nice shots Sarah. If all he has a camera phone shots, I'm guessing he was blown away by these. Totally agree on the pixelated number plates. Maybe it's worth doing him one without a number plate at all (or anything else) to see how he reacts. Glad to hear he's delighted with the shots.

Shoot: It's wierd... Just like John (jgs001) when you struggle with a theme it really shows in the content of the photo. There's nothing wrong with your "shoot" photo per-se, but when you look at it in context with your other shots, it's not coming up to par. High quality work nonetheless and I like the (canvas?) finish on the second shot.

Ian.

Thanks Ian.
I love purple too, although I seem to have a lack of purple props lying around - I guess that's why I picked this colour when I had the chance to just "create" (*cough* produce) something.

Glad you like the car shots and I absolutely agree with you on the choice of subject for shoot.
Although I've included a retake with next week's theme. Similar subject but a bit more inspired.

Version one for shoot is phenomenal Sarah. That really blew me away. Great shot!!

I love the divided as it works very well and the opacity of the background behind the 3 images is perfect.

Very well done this week :) Ive finally caught up after having excuse after excuse :nono: :LOL:

Thank you Stephen.
I'm soooo pleased that you liked v.1 of shoot.
Personally, I'm still not keen but it's given me a nice warm smile to know that other people liked it.

Despite all the positive comments about last week’s “shoot”, I’m still totally uninspired by last week’s images. Looking back on them after a week has passed and I still hate them.
So those of you who didn’t like them quite so much you’ll be relieved to know that I decided to reshoot last week’s theme.

Not sure if it’s any more “shooty”, but I was still mentally stuck on new shoots in the garden.
So a big thank you to JennyB – it’s her fantastic shots of moss and lichens in her 52 that finally inspired me for subject matter.
Of course, being me I couldn’t settle for just a natural shot of moss shoots . . . so I give you a landscape in mossy miniature (with a quite a few shoots in it)
Miniature sunset courtesy of a Tea Light concealed behind the moss.

Week 14 – Shoot Reshot

Now onto this week’s theme.
There must be thousands of interpretations for this theme, but since it was pulled all I’ve been able to think of is “a single red Rose”

Well I actually prefer white Roses to red, but there’s still only one of them . . .
I’m not sure that it absolutely screams “single” to me at the top of its lungs, but this really is all that I could think of.
and since it was inspired by my thoughts on this week's theme I'm going to allow it.

Week 15 – Single

Lessons Learnt

- Thanks to Nat (Magicmynx) for the starburst inspiration. She’s got some brilliant night shots with starbursts in her 365 and I’ve been wanting to try this for ages.
So this week I got to play with long exposures and candles.

- This week I wanted to try to make it more about the photgraph than the PP. Not sure if I've pulled it off, but there was really very minimal PP on both of these.

- I also think there’s some mileage in the miniature landscape idea. I’ve been meaning to do a personal project on top of the 52 and I think this might be it.
I definitely want to try this again. It was good fun and there are loads of little niggles with this one that I want to put right next time.

EDIT
Following on from some of the feedback below, here's a recropped version of single which (I think) outs a bit more focus on the Rose.

Last edited:
Your miniature shot certainly is interesting, looks like a small island in a lake and the sun just popping up over the horizon.

As for SINGLE: sorry to say, not your best. The candle is a huge part of the focus here, not the rose and as you pointed out yourself it doesnt scream Single.
It would be interesting to know your thoughts behind this, (since it was inspired by my thoughts)
Having said all that the shot itself is nice, well lit and nicely composed.

Shoot/Reshoot: I know what you mean about not being satisfied with an image - but this is how we learn and progress - and just look at your phenomenal progress in the last year and a half!

I like the miniature landscape idea, and it's one I've toyed with - but it requires more patience than I've got. You however, have endless patience to produce just the right effect and you would make it into a brilliant project. (y)

This shot is a good start, with a whole landscape encapsulated in a little moss. For me the reflection of the starburst is better than the actual, which is just a tad too distracting - and I do mean just a tad! All in all, an excellent reshoot and hopefully a whole new world of inspiration awaits you in miniature. :) :clap::clap::clap:

Single: As a stil life, this is well composed, beautifully staged and well shot, although the rose is slightly overwhelmed by the candle. It might not scream 'single', but it works overall, so well done. :)

Jean

Much prefer the reshoot of shoot, Sarah. Nice idea well executed.

Single, however, doesn't inspire me much, I'm afraid. the idea might have worked with a smaller candle and different background. I feel the material you've surrounded the candle with looks too harsh for the shot. Also the rose is looking a little bit lost.

Single, I do agree with the view that the candle dominates the shot but not too much to spoil the shot completely, the shot is technically good and well presented. You have got plenty of detail in the image too, as the textures of the different props are well defined.

Your miniature shot certainly is interesting, looks like a small island in a lake and the sun just popping up over the horizon.

As for SINGLE: sorry to say, not your best. The candle is a huge part of the focus here, not the rose and as you pointed out yourself it doesnt scream Single.
It would be interesting to know your thoughts behind this, (since it was inspired by my thoughts)
Having said all that the shot itself is nice, well lit and nicely composed.

Thanks Dade.
Re: Single. I'm afraid it was another uninspiring theme for me. I'm really hoping that we get something I connect to a bit more this week.
Although like with "shoot", maybe my inspiration is just lagging a week behind at the moment.

In terms of the candle, I really wanted to experiment with getting some starbursts so I suppose psychologically I was focussed on the candle as much as the Rose, if that makes any sense.

Shoot/Reshoot: I know what you mean about not being satisfied with an image - but this is how we learn and progress - and just look at your phenomenal progress in the last year and a half!

Thank you Jean - and I'll take that as a compliment in itself :LOL:
I only joined last year's 52 halfway through.
I hadn't given photography a thought until last June and didn't get my DSLR until late August !

I like the miniature landscape idea, and it's one I've toyed with - but it requires more patience than I've got. You however, have endless patience to produce just the right effect and you would make it into a brilliant project. (y)

This shot is a good start, with a whole landscape encapsulated in a little moss. For me the reflection of the starburst is better than the actual, which is just a tad too distracting - and I do mean just a tad! All in all, an excellent reshoot and hopefully a whole new world of inspiration awaits you in miniature. :) :clap::clap::clap:

Single: As a stil life, this is well composed, beautifully staged and well shot, although the rose is slightly overwhelmed by the candle. It might not scream 'single', but it works overall, so well done. :)

Jean

I'm glad you like the miniature landscape idea.
I think there's so much scope there with bits and pieces in the garden so watch out for my personal project kicking off soon. (it's only taken 4 months to get inspired!)

I'm going to post up a different crop of single later to see if that minimises the candle at all.

Much prefer the reshoot of shoot, Sarah. Nice idea well executed.

Single, however, doesn't inspire me much, I'm afraid. the idea might have worked with a smaller candle and different background. I feel the material you've surrounded the candle with looks too harsh for the shot. Also the rose is looking a little bit lost.

It's a shame that single doesn't seem to be doing much for people because I rather liked that one. :shrug: That's just the way it goes sometimes though.
Thank you for the very constructive feedback though - all taken on board and although I don't intend reshooting this one I have tried a slightly different crop to see if that draws your eye more to the Rose.

Single, I do agree with the view that the candle dominates the shot but not too much to spoil the shot completely, the shot is technically good and well presented. You have got plenty of detail in the image too, as the textures of the different props are well defined.

Thanks Steve.
That damn candle :bang:
But I'm glad that you found something you liked in there despite that.

I love the dark shots!

The rose shot I like the most, just seems to have "meaning" behind it. I was tempted to go for candles too, but struck gold on Daffs. haha.

Thank you Martin. And nothing at all wrong with Daffs ;)

I quite like the single shot actually... Agreed with the others that the pillar candle is a bit much but it's still a nice one.

I wonder though, if you had the rose, removed a single petal, did a nice arrangement with that and a tealight... But that's probably a completely different shot altogether :LOL:

Another (y) for the the Quad shot as you were getting paid for it.

Difficult choice for 'Shoot' but I think the triptych just nudges it.

As you have already said it doesn't scream Single but it's a very nice shot, but would prefer just the Rose.

Single - I know I have a small ancient monitor but although I like the edited shot I find myself peering really hard trying to see what the rose is sitting on. Can just make out an out line ..looks black and holey .. I guess I find it it a bit distracting.

Hi Sarah,

Wow, I can't believe that your shoot inspiration came from me! Your shots are always so imaginative. I think the miniature landscapes idea is a good one. I like the one you have done with the moss. The reflection does look like a lake. I think that maybe the starburst is just a bit too big?

I like your rose with the candle (prefer your edit). It does not shout single at me but it's a lovely picture. The edit makes the rose seem more important in the shot.

Jenny

Sarah, a nice shot in itself but I think you've suffered from your own success, for most people the shot would be good but it's not one of your very best.

I think it would work better in the 'poetry' category rather than single and, for me, it needs just a bit more natural light to bring out the colours a touch, the rose needs to be 'white' not slightly grey...

Onto the positive, I love the reshoot of shoot. It's a really clever composition and nice 'mini world'. I love the water reflection. I might be tempted to crop it a touch closer so the moss? touches both sides of the picture to give it more of a landscape look but I'm not sure it would work until I see it...

Well done, onto next week (y)

this one has split opinions sarah!.. think the edited version works better as it does give more emphasis to the rose.. a beautifully staged shot, I like the fabric the rose is sitting on personally.. gives some texture to the shot

I hadn't given photography a thought until last June and didn't get my DSLR until late August !
wow, you are a natural, obviously! ;)

I like the idea of a miniature landscape for your reshoot of shoot. It certainly says shoot more than the first ones. The reflection on the black is brilliant. For me it looks a little soft and the starbust is a touch too bright. In the reflection it seems more subdued and better for it. A cracking idea for a photo, you are showing real imagination throughout this 52 (y)

On to "single". The cropped version works better in my opinion as it brings more emphasis on the single rose. I love how you manage to think beyond the obvious boring shot of a single red rose by using a different colour and the props that you have. The texture of the material adds a new dimension to the shot and looks great. It's the props and differrent textures as well as lighting that makes a good still life rather than a snapshot.

Andy

Back