Sarah's 52 for 2010 - Now continued in part 2

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, Sarah, and I'm amazed at the concistent quality of your photography even under difficult circumstances. I hope losing yourself in your photography gives you a rest and break from everything else. I certainly forget everything when I'm taking photos!

Peace: For me image #1 elicits a feeling of peace and tranquility. It's elegant, simple, professional and well lit. Absolutely top class. The composition breaks the rules successfully - no complaints from me on this score either - although I can't quite work out why it's so successful. :bang: :)

Image #2: Technically, I can't fault it, but like Chris, I feel the chess pieces, ;) are intrusive. Yes, it's a clever reference to the theme, but visually the peace lily with the chess board fading out into the background would be a stronger imge imho. But this is just opinion, Sarah!

Also a big 'well done' for getting two excellent images done in a difficult week. I hope next week is better, and we get a theme which will take you out into the sunshine. Ever the optimist, me! :D

Jean

Number 1 is excellent Sarah.

Sharp, well composed and a lovely clean image. The reflection works well.

Number 2 is all of the above but the chess set doesn't add anything to it for me i'm afraid.

Andy

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I prefer the second. It's still simple but the chess pieces behind serve to highlight the lily for me.

Mike

2 remarkable shots.
For me I prefer #1. Its simple and perfectly lit. For some reason it reminds me of a spa which always says peace and calm.

Hi Sarah,

Definitely number 1 for me this week........... lovely shot....

Hi Sarah sorry to hear that you are having a rough time, I hope things improve soon and many thanks for the good wishes you sent for my daughter(she's feeling much better)

There is an outstanding quality to all these latest images I love the new mask shot these are a truly lovely set!

With regards to Peace I'm not going to be much help either I don't think. I like 1's simplicity but I think 2 is probably slightly my favourite as an image but as others have said not 'quite' sure about chess saying peace......I don't really care though as I love the image :LOL:

Sarah, both peace shots are absolutely beautiful so pin sharp and I would be proud to have No 1 on display.(y)

The 2 peace shots are very clever. Love the chess one. For some reason it really works for peace, but I can't explain why! I think it's the almost transparent chess pieces or something. Really good work yet again from you :) I love the last addition you posted for stare too. I think it works a lot better than the original 2 (y)

The first one of the two peace shots for me. Very nicely done.

Hi Sarah, I think both images are outstanding, but I prefer the first one because it fits the theme better.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope everything improves soon. It's great that you can still manage to keep up with your 52. Your images are really worth waiting for each week.

Jenny

Sorry to hear you have troubles at the moment Sarah, it seems like this weeks theme has more meaning to you then. I hope things brighten up for you soon, until then "Kia kaha".

Its a tricky choice between the two as you say as both are cracking images. I like the second but im not sure where the chess theme fits into peace? Is it chess pieces or is it the reference to the complicated battle of thinking out your next move that makes life so challenging? I like the chequered floor and the way you have processed this. The first one is beautiful and simple and i love the way both are lighted.

Im not sure i can help you out with the choice here but either way well done.(y)

Thanks Chris - both for the kind words and the comments on the shots.
There's a lot going on at the moment, but TBH I'm probably still luckier than most in many ways.

re: The shots.
I hadn't really thought out anything as deep as that for chess pieces, beyond the fact that I like photographing this particular chess set. :LOL:
Although I did have a vague notion in the back of my mind about the chess pieces representing battle - and the lily representing peace contrasting with that.

The first shot for me Sarah, as ever well thought out and executed.

Thanks Steve. I'm glad that you liked it.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, Sarah, and I'm amazed at the concistent quality of your photography even under difficult circumstances. I hope losing yourself in your photography gives you a rest and break from everything else. I certainly forget everything when I'm taking photos!

Peace: For me image #1 elicits a feeling of peace and tranquility. It's elegant, simple, professional and well lit. Absolutely top class. The composition breaks the rules successfully - no complaints from me on this score either - although I can't quite work out why it's so successful. :bang: :)

Image #2: Technically, I can't fault it, but like Chris, I feel the chess pieces, ;) are intrusive. Yes, it's a clever reference to the theme, but visually the peace lily with the chess board fading out into the background would be a stronger imge imho. But this is just opinion, Sarah!

Also a big 'well done' for getting two excellent images done in a difficult week. I hope next week is better, and we get a theme which will take you out into the sunshine. Ever the optimist, me! :D

Jean

Thank you Jean.
The photography is definitely helping as a distraction. Personally, everything is fine with me but I always seem to be the one people turn to with their problems - and right now I feel like I'm bearing the weight of 6 or 7 other people's issues. But that's what family's all about I suppose.

I'm glad that you like no.1. Given the funeral this week it does have some extra meaning for me. It was my grandmother, but given that she was 101 it wasn't totally unexpected.

I've explained my half-formed theory about the chess pieces to Chris above, so I won't repeat it. Not sure that it makes a lot of sense anyway :LOL:

Number 1 is excellent Sarah.

Sharp, well composed and a lovely clean image. The reflection works well.

Number 2 is all of the above but the chess set doesn't add anything to it for me i'm afraid.

Andy

Thank you Andy.
I'm really pleased to have got so many positive responses to the first one, especially since it's relying entirely on the photography rather than PP or exciting props.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I prefer the second. It's still simple but the chess pieces behind serve to highlight the lily for me.

Mike

Thanks Mike.
I'm still undecided between the two, but the different opinions are definitely helping.

2 remarkable shots.
For me I prefer #1. Its simple and perfectly lit. For some reason it reminds me of a spa which always says peace and calm.

Thanks Darren.
I hadn't really thought about the spa theme, but now that you mention it there is something of that about it.

Hi Sarah,

Definitely number 1 for me this week........... lovely shot....

Thanks you Lynton. I'm really pleased that this one is getting such positive comments . . . although I really do need to move out of this comfort zone.

I really love the first shot- a peace lily- one of my favourite pot plants.The reflection is beautiful. I dont think the chess set adds anything to the second.

Thanks Sue.
And although I sacrificed one flower the peace lily is otherwise unharmed and still going strong :)

Hi Sarah sorry to hear that you are having a rough time, I hope things improve soon and many thanks for the good wishes you sent for my daughter(she's feeling much better)

There is an outstanding quality to all these latest images I love the new mask shot these are a truly lovely set!

With regards to Peace I'm not going to be much help either I don't think. I like 1's simplicity but I think 2 is probably slightly my favourite as an image but as others have said not 'quite' sure about chess saying peace......I don't really care though as I love the image :LOL:

Hi Sonia.
Glad that your daughter is on the mend.

I posted a bit in reply to Chris about my thinking on the chess set . . . it was only half thought out though, so I'm not sure that it entirely fits.

Sarah, both peace shots are absolutely beautiful so pin sharp and I would be proud to have No 1 on display.(y)

Thank you Nicki.
I've yet to shoot anything that I feel is good enough to print and display, but I'm really flattered that you think this one may be.

Wonderful shots Sarah!

Both outstanding in everyway, but the second one, just doesn't seem to suit... I know chess is a "quiet" mans game, but its not really what I'd call peace.

Can I ask, how did you acomplish the shots?

Thank you Martin.

To get these, I basically created a huge lightbox. Black fabric draped over a bookcase and clothes airer for the base, background and "ceiling" and a piece of white muslin at each side to diffuse the light.
A desklight either side shining through the muslin and directed at the lily and an otherwise darkened room.

Camera in manual mode and set on tripod. Focal length around 50mm for both, shot at F10 with an exposure of around 1 sec and ISO 100.
This seems to be the combination where I get the sharpest results with the kit lens.

Other than that not much else. PP consisted of a tweak in curves and obviously a crop.

The 2 peace shots are very clever. Love the chess one. For some reason it really works for peace, but I can't explain why! I think it's the almost transparent chess pieces or something. Really good work yet again from you :) I love the last addition you posted for stare too. I think it works a lot better than the original 2 (y)

Thanks fr popping in Conor.
Glad that you liked these.

How's yours going? I haven't seen any new ones from you for a while.

I really like the first one. Love the reflection.

Thank you.
I was quite pleased with the reflection in this too.

The first one of the two peace shots for me. Very nicely done.

Thanks Charlie.
Glad that you like it.

Hi Sarah, I think both images are outstanding, but I prefer the first one because it fits the theme better.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope everything improves soon. It's great that you can still manage to keep up with your 52. Your images are really worth waiting for each week.

Jenny

Thank you Jenny.
I'm glad that you're enjoying looking in here.

TBH it's photography that's helping me keep my sanity at the moment. There's something very relaxing about sitting down quietly with a camera.

Thanks fr popping in Conor.
Glad that you liked these.

How's yours going? I haven't seen any new ones from you for a while.

Just caught up today. That's the thing about film, you hang about for weeks with shots in the camera you can't yet upload! I'm starting to agree with everyone who told me I was :wacky:

Just caught up today. That's the thing about film, you hang about for weeks with shots in the camera you can't yet upload! I'm starting to agree with everyone who told me I was :wacky:

I haven't come across your thread yet this week - I'll look out for it and if I don't get there tonight I'll drop in tomorrow.

. . . and I hate to say I told you so, but you are definitely :wacky:

....actually now you mention 'battle' and peace then yes it works very well :LOL: much too deep for me obviously!!!! ....and I'm so pleased because it means I can like it even more! I was asked to pose once....well my leg anyway....I was at a re-enactment and had on an old pair of 1970s styley jeans with the words love and peace embroidered on them and was standing around with a bunch of guys with muskets....togger nearby wanted pick of me holding gun against leg with the words love and peace.......wish now I'd seen the results as it was a good few years ago now!

Another vote for #1 Sarah, I love the simplicity of the image. It simply says peace to me. The reflection and composition are great. There isn't anything I would change about the image, it is very sharp too.
Lets see what this weeks theme brings and if it tempts you to step out your comfort zone;). A good week (image wise) Sarah. Keep smiling, Iain.

Both are beautiful images, with perfect lighting and composition. I understand your thinking behind the second one but still prefer the first for the week's theme because of its utter simplicity. (Having to think harder about the second isn't so 'peaceful' :LOL:)

Hope things improve for you soon - good that you can escape into your photography.

I like 'em both there Sarah.

Though I think it's #1 for me. Less is more there when it comes to both PP and subject matter. It's simple, clean, sharp and well lit. Care has gone into that shot and it shows. For me, that makes it a winner over the chessboard as that's too distracting.

It's a shame really, I like them both, and there's nothing wrong with #2, it's just that #1 stands out better on it's own.

Good stuff as usual!

Ian.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Its good that you are staying focussed though.
all the clichés are true, but we all deal with loss in different ways, here's to hoping you find your way soon x

As for the shots - again what we have come to expect from you; top quality stuff (no pressure) The first is great and tips it for me, the second remove the flower and leave the lines of the board taking you to the beautifully lit chess peices and you have a cracker there - not peace but pieces, lol.

Interesting use of light in your recent stuff Sarah :)

I love your original shoot.. shots, version 2 would loov wonderful blown up HUUUGE on a massive canvas!

And Peace, nice and minimal, great use of available lighting and it's nice to see that chess set pop up again!

Two lovely images Sarah. I really like both of them, and I kinda get the battle/peace concept going on in the second, but for the theme, it just doesn't quite come together for me. #1 however, is perfect (y)

Now that outtake Stare shot is just freaky, on the fist one the right eye seems a little sharper/brighter than the left though.
I like the improved shot (post677) very cat like with the stretched eyes.

2 great choices for Peace, they are both nicely lit and the PP'ing is just right. :thinking: the second just pips it.....just (y)

Sarah, I think the 1st peace shot is the one. The one with the chess set doesn't make any sense to me...

Oh, actually, now I think about it I can see the point. Chess is a game about war, right? Peace lily! Awesome! You're way too clever for me. :)

....actually now you mention 'battle' and peace then yes it works very well :LOL: much too deep for me obviously!!!! ....and I'm so pleased because it means I can like it even more! I was asked to pose once....well my leg anyway....I was at a re-enactment and had on an old pair of 1970s styley jeans with the words love and peace embroidered on them and was standing around with a bunch of guys with muskets....togger nearby wanted pick of me holding gun against leg with the words love and peace.......wish now I'd seen the results as it was a good few years ago now!

(y)
Shame you didn't get to see that love & peace photo - I reckon that would have worked really well.

Another vote for #1 Sarah, I love the simplicity of the image. It simply says peace to me. The reflection and composition are great. There isn't anything I would change about the image, it is very sharp too.
Lets see what this weeks theme brings and if it tempts you to step out your comfort zone;). A good week (image wise) Sarah. Keep smiling, Iain.

Thanks Iain. Looking back on these now, I think it's number 1 for me too.

Both are beautiful images, with perfect lighting and composition. I understand your thinking behind the second one but still prefer the first for the week's theme because of its utter simplicity. (Having to think harder about the second isn't so 'peaceful' :LOL:)

Hope things improve for you soon - good that you can escape into your photography.

Thanks Tracer . . . just have to lose myself in "indulgence now" :LOL:

I like 'em both there Sarah.

Though I think it's #1 for me. Less is more there when it comes to both PP and subject matter. It's simple, clean, sharp and well lit. Care has gone into that shot and it shows. For me, that makes it a winner over the chessboard as that's too distracting.

It's a shame really, I like them both, and there's nothing wrong with #2, it's just that #1 stands out better on it's own.

Good stuff as usual!

Ian.

Thanks Ian. I'm glad that you like them.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Its good that you are staying focussed though.
all the clichés are true, but we all deal with loss in different ways, here's to hoping you find your way soon x

As for the shots - again what we have come to expect from you; top quality stuff (no pressure) The first is great and tips it for me, the second remove the flower and leave the lines of the board taking you to the beautifully lit chess peices and you have a cracker there - not peace but pieces, lol.

Thank you Dade . . . and I think you're spot on with the comment on the chess shot. Hadn't even thought about "pieces" for the theme :bonk:

Interesting use of light in your recent stuff Sarah :)

I love your original shoot.. shots, version 2 would loov wonderful blown up HUUUGE on a massive canvas!

And Peace, nice and minimal, great use of available lighting and it's nice to see that chess set pop up again!

Thank you Louise . . . and watch out. I reckon that chess set might pop again before this 52 is over.

Two lovely images Sarah. I really like both of them, and I kinda get the battle/peace concept going on in the second, but for the theme, it just doesn't quite come together for me. #1 however, is perfect (y)

Thanks John.
Looking at them again I'm coming round to No.1 as being the keeper too.

Now that outtake Stare shot is just freaky, on the fist one the right eye seems a little sharper/brighter than the left though.
I like the improved shot (post677) very cat like with the stretched eyes.

2 great choices for Peace, they are both nicely lit and the PP'ing is just right. :thinking: the second just pips it.....just (y)

Thank you.
I think I'm coming round to preferring no.1 though.
On looking at them again, I'm not too keen on the top edge of the lily in no.2. Too much white above it . . . the white square on the chess board and the white reflections n the dark squares . . . It's left it a bit blobby looking. Maybe a slightly different angle or shallower DoF would have helped.

Your first shot is the one I am going for, although I find it to be a little on the dark side.
In the second shot the chess pieces do not say much about peace to me.
If you did not say then I would not have known that it was a peace Lilly.

Allan

Thanks Allan.
Brightness for viewing on here is something I always struggle with. I know that my monitor is slightly bright, but it's difficult to know how much to compensate for.

Sarah, I think the 1st peace shot is the one. The one with the chess set doesn't make any sense to me...

Oh, actually, now I think about it I can see the point. Chess is a game about war, right? Peace lily! Awesome! You're way too clever for me. :)

Thank you Dean . . . and that was my thinking behind the chess shot - although maybe a little bit too deep this week?
I'm coming round to preferring No.1 though - see reply to Scott above.

what a great shot for stare.. I cant stop looking at the eyes, such a feel of sorrow in them i'm mesmerised by them.. superb PP as always sarah

love the 1st for peace, very elegant and the simple composition says it all.. fabulous focus and great reflection, I took a shot of a peace lily for this but it was in a garden and failed miserably :)

The first shot for peace works the best for me. I think just because of the simplicity of it, and the reflection looks lovely :)

Briony Thank you.
I seem to have completely bypassed your thread - there are just so many on here this year.
But I promise to pop in and have a look soon :)

what a great shot for stare.. I cant stop looking at the eyes, such a feel of sorrow in them i'm mesmerised by them.. superb PP as always sarah

love the 1st for peace, very elegant and the simple composition says it all.. fabulous focus and great reflection, I took a shot of a peace lily for this but it was in a garden and failed miserably :)

Thanks Mich.
Shame that your peace lily didn't work out. I'm far more comfortable shooting in a home studio set up where I have everything under control - I've tried to break out of that this week though.

Before I post this week's shot, I've decided to take up Dade's suggestion of shooting the chess pieces on their own as an alternative for peace.
I'm quite pleased with this, so thank you for the suggestion Dade (y)

For Dade - Peace / Pieces

Week 18

This week I wanted to do a shot that fitted for both themes - just haven't had time to do two different things.
So - I hope "close" speaks for itself. This is just about as close as I can get with the kit lens anyway !
And indulgence . . . OK this is a bit tenuous but . . .

- It's an indulgence on my part in not sticking too closely to the theme and just shooting something because I fancied shooting it :shrug:

- The biggest issue I have with indulging myself is actually finding any spare time just for me. So this shot also represents a Dandelion clock in the wind - time blowing away.

. . . told you it was a bit tenuous didn't I? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've included the outtake again this week (I know it's getting to be a habit) but this was a close call for me.
I'm never quite sure about the crop and framing of flower shots, and although the PP version has a bit more impact I also like the natural feeling of the outtake.
The outtake is more or less straight from camera BTW, just a very minor crop to remove some distractions.

Week 18 - Close / Indulgence

Week 18 - Outtake

Lessons Learnt and Self Critique

- The DoF is just a touch too narrow for me. I would have liked a bit more sharpness on the stem . . . although I do like the b/g.
Probably should have bumped the ISO up a bit and used a slightly smaller aperture.

- I played around with drop shadows in PP to experiment with a different framing style.
I think I messed up somewhere because I seem to have caused a bit of vignetting in the corners and edges of the shots . . . I quite like it though.

- I got out of my comfort zone and shot this outside where it was growing rather than bringing it indoors to a studio environment. A bit scary for me because it means giving up some control, but I'm going to try to do more outdoor stuff now Summer is on its way.

- I'm noticing more and more that I seem to be using the kit lens around the 50mm mark . . . seriously considering picking up one of Kerso's nifty fifties to see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:
You should continue with the outdoor stuff Sarah as you have done pretty well with it. Im not sure it matters about the stem as the eye is immediately drawn in to the centre. The first is definitely better but i like what you have done with the frame on the second. It lends itself to the natural theme you have chosen.

I think I prefer your chosen "close" shot but the outtake is beautiful in a different way- natural and pretty. The chosen version would make a good picture on a wall- easy on the eye and yet plenty to see.

Can I be different Sarah and prefer the out-take?
I like both images but #2 has more appeal to me for its colour and I particularly like the border you have applied to it. Good to see you have stepped out your comfort zone again. It doesn't say indulgence but with your explanation, I can see where you are coming from. A good week Sarah (y)

Sorry Sarah, I know you are trying to limit your PP but I prefer the first shot. The brown background works better than the original green.

Depth of field is spot on. I am drawn to the head of the flower as I should be (y)

The theme can be interpreted in any way you please but I do feel a liberal application of the crowbar has been used this week :LOL:

A lovely shot all the same. I keep meaning to try a dandelion clock myself. I have hundreds of the buggers growing :shake:

Andy

Hi Sarah,

Firstly, the chess shot for Dade is fantastic. I just love the lighting.

I really like both of your indulgence shots, but I have to admit you have used a huge crowbar! I find these things fascinating and think I prefer the first one - mainly because with the crop you can see more detail. I really like the colour treatment, too. I think the DOF is spot on. It gets more difficult the closer you get.

Very well done this week, especially for getting out of your comfort zone.

Jenny

Back