Sarah's 52 for 2010 - Now continued in part 2

I love this! I like the angle you have got and the way the gear wheels are reflected in the water, and the way the bright wings stand out against the spooky dark background. Brilliant processing gives it a real sci-fi effect. :clap::clap:

As always Sarah, your processing skills get (y) from me.
As you have said, you have lost a wee bit of the sharpness which would really make the subject pop but there are sometimes compromises to be made.
I like the composition but do you have one with more of the reflection in? i feel this would balance the image a bit more.
An interesting subject though Sarah, certainly unique in this weeks theme.
Iain

Wow, that is quite an interesting subject and the processing sets it off a treat.

What an odd statue... your image and processing have really worked well Sarah, I really like it. It wouldn't look amiss in a gallery... I do agree with Iain and wonder about the reflection... perhaps a vertical pano ?

Oh dear - I seem to be in a minority. :shake:

This doesn't really do anything for me - possible because I'm not really a fan of this type of modern sculpture, my eyes keep getting drawn to the 'cog' the dragonfly is standing on.

Having said that I do like the way you've captured the water.

Sorry :shrug:

Your metal picture is really special. I love the light reflecting on the water. I keep looking at it trying to work out how you did it.I checked out your link to the place where it is.Great processing.:clap:

Thanks Sue. That's one of my regular photography spots. Only 5 minutes up the road.
No real secret with the light on the water I'm afraid - that's just the way it came out :shrug:

Your Metal shot makes me realise just how uninspired I've been this week, Sarah. As always, you've used creative processing in the best possible way and made an eye-catching and interesting image out of it.

I specifically like: the dark background bringing out the intricate shapes in the wings; the reflection - just enough; the colours and the presentation (framing).

A huge (y) from me! :)

Jean

Thank you Jean. The b/g was quite dark anyway, but a bit of selective burning there to darken it a bit more.

I love the idea, Sarah. I'm on my wifes laptop for the next week or two so I'm not commenting on pictures as it's so bright it's impossible to do so fairly.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I know that feeling with a bright laptop screen. My spare one is ridiculously bright, but that's the one I tend to use in the garden.

thats cool Sarah. creepy feeling to it, colours are superb. keep it up

Thanks David.

I love this! I like the angle you have got and the way the gear wheels are reflected in the water, and the way the bright wings stand out against the spooky dark background. Brilliant processing gives it a real sci-fi effect. :clap::clap:

Thank you !!!!
And I'm glad that the Sci-fi effect came across.

As always Sarah, your processing skills get (y) from me.
As you have said, you have lost a wee bit of the sharpness which would really make the subject pop but there are sometimes compromises to be made.
I like the composition but do you have one with more of the reflection in? i feel this would balance the image a bit more.
An interesting subject though Sarah, certainly unique in this weeks theme.
Iain

Thanks Iain.
I have a closer version which I've processed a bit better second time around. Unfortunately even less reflection in that version, but I'll post it up with this week's shot for you to look at.
I think the ideal compromise would have been the PP on the second, with the composition on the first but I really can't be bothered to revisit.

Wow, that is quite an interesting subject and the processing sets it off a treat.

Thanks Steve.

What an odd statue... your image and processing have really worked well Sarah, I really like it. It wouldn't look amiss in a gallery... I do agree with Iain and wonder about the reflection... perhaps a vertical pano ?

Thank you John.
As I said to Iain I don't have anything with the full reflection in it - but I might go back and try again soon.

Oh dear - I seem to be in a minority. :shake:

This doesn't really do anything for me - possible because I'm not really a fan of this type of modern sculpture, my eyes keep getting drawn to the 'cog' the dragonfly is standing on.

Having said that I do like the way you've captured the water.

Sorry :shrug:

Don't worry Paul. We don't all like the same things . . . although I can't really take the blame for the cog being there :LOL:
Glad you liked the water though.

I would say that I hope grunge will be more your thing - but I somehow doubt it!
There's always next week though.

For Iain and John. This is the only other crop that I have for metal.
Doesn't really address your reflection comment - in fact there's even less of it. But I think the PP worked better second time around.

Will definitely go back and try again with some more reflection in it.

Alternate Crop for Metal

:puke: :puke: :puke:

I hoped Simon was joking when he said that grunge was going back in the bag. I really didn't think he'd be this cruel :shake:

Anyway here's my take on it this year. . .
A grungy apple core left out in the sun for a few hours this afternoon.
I also found some centipedes (?I think that's what they are?) under a rock in the garden, so I thought I'd rope them in as models.

Don't worry no centipedes were actually harmed and I returned them all to the rock when I'd finished.

No self critique yet.
I only took this this afternoon and I usually need to back away from a shot for a day before I can really look at it critically - so over to you on this one.

Week 25 - Grunge

Well done with an excellent idea, certainly says "Grunge" for me.
Good background and lighting but the Centipedes steal the show. :)

Mmmmm not really sure about your grunge image Sarah, sorry.
I think its the dof/focus on the apple core, I think it would work better with it all in focus. The clean background doesn't really say grunge to me, maybe a dirtier background would tie it more into the theme. All IMHO of course, apologies for appearing negative, Iain.

Hi Sarah,

you know the threads that go around about peoplel giving crit rather than "nice shot" I think your Grunge thread sums it up for me.

I looked at the image and thought ..m mm would prefer all the apple in focus and a grungier background. Then I read the comments following the image and as I am still a bit unsure about giving crit would have probably skipped giving any comment until I read Iain's reply who had written what I had thought !

ps I hate creepy crawlies .. you were very brave to get your models!

Wow! what a great shot for grunge really fits the theme - made me feel a bit creepy though :eek:

oohh centipedes *shudders* they have too many legs for my liking!
I do like the shot though as others have pointed out, the background isn't particularly 'grungy' But, why not add a texture over it and mask out the apple? (maaaybe?) Hey, if you don't have any textures to hand I have a deviantart stock account where you could use one from. I'm going to stop linking to all my other websites now before I get shunted for spamming the forums!
Anyway, a macro of the apple would've been fab, that way you wouldn't need to worry about the background :)

It's certainly a grungy apple core... I can't help thinking that the pristine white (tableclothe ??) doesn't really work for the theme with the core though.. I'm not so keen on the DOF...it's doing strange things to my eyes, as I'm expecting all the core to be in focus... Sorry...

The centipedes add nicely to it though...

Love the dragonfly sculpture... I wonder if mirroring it vertically, and applying a ripple to it would give the reflection (in pp rather than in actuality).

I can't seem to catch up with commenting on peoples threads.

Here goes with yours though Sarah.

"quality" - superb. Well focused and really sharp. This would look great on your wall as a huge canvas.

"post" - I like the image and the processing. It looks really eerie. As the post is so small in the frame it doesn't shout the theme out to me though.

"metal" - I like interesting sculptures and this fits the bill perfectly. Processing works really well to achieve the sci-fi look you were after.

"grunge" - the idea is good and a discarded apple core with creepy crawlies on "should" be bang on theme. I'm in the camp of background too clean though I'm afraid. Perhaps shooting it in a forgotten corner of the garden where all the grunge builds up (or is that just my garden :LOL: ) would work better?

Andy

Nice dragonfly sculpture, interesting image ;)

I like your grunge image too, works well, I like the hardness of the shadow and the disregard the image has

Thank you Dade!

The creepy crawlies add to the picture but a slug would have been better. Plenty of them in my garden, revolting things.

Thanks Sue.
For some reason we don't seem to have had many slugs in the garden this year - in fact, I've seen plenty of snails but I don't think I've seen any slugs at all.
Not sure if the cold winter did for them.

You're welcome to keep the ones you have though. I really don't need any sending to me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well done with an excellent idea, certainly says "Grunge" for me.
Good background and lighting but the Centipedes steal the show. :)

Thanks Steve. Glad my efforts of collecting centipedes didn't go to waste.

Mmmmm not really sure about your grunge image Sarah, sorry.
I think its the dof/focus on the apple core, I think it would work better with it all in focus. The clean background doesn't really say grunge to me, maybe a dirtier background would tie it more into the theme. All IMHO of course, apologies for appearing negative, Iain.

No need to be sorry Iain.
I actually have a few different angles on this with more / less DoF. They're on my other PC, but when I get a chance I'll post them up for comparison. Personally, I thought this angle / DoF worked best, but I'll post one of the alternatives up to see what you think.

Hi Sarah,

you know the threads that go around about peoplel giving crit rather than "nice shot" I think your Grunge thread sums it up for me.

I looked at the image and thought ..m mm would prefer all the apple in focus and a grungier background. Then I read the comments following the image and as I am still a bit unsure about giving crit would have probably skipped giving any comment until I read Iain's reply who had written what I had thought !

ps I hate creepy crawlies .. you were very brave to get your models!

You should never be afraid to say what you think. No matter how much or how little experience you have you know what you like / don't like and you're opinions are valid.

I've already responded to Iain re: the DoF and I'd be interested to see what you think when I put the alternative up.

Re: the background, this was a paving slab in the garden. I wanted it to look like it had just been abandoned on the pavement, but unfortunately the bright sun on Sunday bleached it out more than I would have liked.

BTW : Give me a bunch of centipedes over a group of brownies in a bell tower any day ;) :LOL:

Wow! what a great shot for grunge really fits the theme - made me feel a bit creepy though :eek:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: They're really not that bad. much better than spiders anyway!

oohh centipedes *shudders* they have too many legs for my liking!
I do like the shot though as others have pointed out, the background isn't particularly 'grungy' But, why not add a texture over it and mask out the apple? (maaaybe?) Hey, if you don't have any textures to hand I have a deviantart stock account where you could use one from. I'm going to stop linking to all my other websites now before I get shunted for spamming the forums!
Anyway, a macro of the apple would've been fab, that way you wouldn't need to worry about the background :)

Thanks Louise and an extra thank you for the link to your textures :D. I think one of those decay ones could be just perfect for this. I will have a play and show you the result.

It's certainly a grungy apple core... I can't help thinking that the pristine white (tableclothe ??) doesn't really work for the theme with the core though.. I'm not so keen on the DOF...it's doing strange things to my eyes, as I'm expecting all the core to be in focus... Sorry...

The centipedes add nicely to it though...

Love the dragonfly sculpture... I wonder if mirroring it vertically, and applying a ripple to it would give the reflection (in pp rather than in actuality).

Thanks John.
I've replied a bit further up on Iain's comment re: the background and DoF. Will definitely post one of the alternate shots up for comparison and I'll give Louise's texture suggestion a try too.
My concern with a dirtier background was whether the centipedes would get lost against it . . . and TBH they weren't the easiest to transport around the garden to try different locations :LOL:

Clever take on the theme, I like the simple background and border and the image is nice and sharp

Hi Sarah, playing catch up, I'm afraid.

I love your dragonfly shot. I love the colours, the effect on the water and the reflection. I also prefer the original shot. Great take on the theme.

Grunge is really an awful theme. Thank goodness I am doing my own 52! You have come up with an excellent idea, but I would have preferred it on a more grungy background, like a pavement or something. The centipedes are a clever idea (I could not have done that :puke:) and I think you have got the lighting and the DOF spot on.

Jenny

Great idea and the apple and centipedes are well composed and nice and sharp. I would like to see some dead leaves or something as the background rather than the pristine white, though, to fit the theme better.

I'm glad no centipedes were harmed but what about the poor apple? :LOL:

I can't seem to catch up with commenting on peoples threads.

Here goes with yours though Sarah.

"quality" - superb. Well focused and really sharp. This would look great on your wall as a huge canvas.

"post" - I like the image and the processing. It looks really eerie. As the post is so small in the frame it doesn't shout the theme out to me though.

"metal" - I like interesting sculptures and this fits the bill perfectly. Processing works really well to achieve the sci-fi look you were after.

"grunge" - the idea is good and a discarded apple core with creepy crawlies on "should" be bang on theme. I'm in the camp of background too clean though I'm afraid. Perhaps shooting it in a forgotten corner of the garden where all the grunge builds up (or is that just my garden :LOL: ) would work better?

Andy

Thanks Andy.
Post was the second or third :puke: theme in a row. I'm afraid that by this point I didn't really care too much about how well it fitted the theme :LOL:

Thanks for taking the time to catch up so thoroughly. There will be a new grunge shot coming up shortly.

Clever take on the theme, I like the simple background and border and the image is nice and sharp

Thank you Darren.

Hi Sarah, playing catch up, I'm afraid.

I love your dragonfly shot. I love the colours, the effect on the water and the reflection. I also prefer the original shot. Great take on the theme.

Grunge is really an awful theme. Thank goodness I am doing my own 52! You have come up with an excellent idea, but I would have preferred it on a more grungy background, like a pavement or something. The centipedes are a clever idea (I could not have done that :puke:) and I think you have got the lighting and the DOF spot on.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny . . . the way the themes have been lately, you're lucky that you're not doing a themed 52 :LOL:

Great idea and the apple and centipedes are well composed and nice and sharp. I would like to see some dead leaves or something as the background rather than the pristine white, though, to fit the theme better.

I'm glad no centipedes were harmed but what about the poor apple? :LOL:

Thanks Tracer . . . I'm afraid that the apple didn't make it :( :shake:

A big thank you to everyone for their really constructive comments this week. I'm afraid that a reshoot with a grungier background just isn't going to happen . . . I'm not going centipede hunting again!!!

Anyway, I've had a play around with some of the other ideas.
Tried a texture, but I really didn't like the end result. I also looked through my other shots from the day. There are a few with a wider DoF, but they still didn't quite work for me.

In the end I decided to go with one of them and have a play in Photoshop. Mono conversion, vignette and some dodging and burning to make the centipedes stand out. Sort of high key grunge ???

What do you think?

Last edited:
I like the interpretation of (dare I say it, a bugger of a theme?!). I still have to get my head around my interpretation. Did you go all “girly” and get someone else to handle the insects for you?

This 52 lark does have us taking photos of things we’d never dream of!

Hi! Major catch uppage for me all round! Haven't commented on anyones for yonks.

1 particular shot of yours that jumped out was Post. Love how you've made what might otherwise be a boring shot very very interesting!

Hard to pick out my other favourites from your set, a lot of cracking shots! Really like Stop, metal and would you believe it... GRUNGE! I cringed too when I saw that theme... being a lot of weeks behind at the time (about 8 I think) it very nearly made me abandon the 52 for good :LOL:

Looking forward to your beginnings shot!

I like the interpretation of (dare I say it, a bugger of a theme?!). I still have to get my head around my interpretation. Did you go all “girly” and get someone else to handle the insects for you?

This 52 lark does have us taking photos of things we’d never dream of!

Thanks David!
And no - centipedes were picked and handled by yours truly :)
(As long as it's not spiders, I'm generally OK with bugs)

Hi! Major catch uppage for me all round! Haven't commented on anyones for yonks.

1 particular shot of yours that jumped out was Post. Love how you've made what might otherwise be a boring shot very very interesting!

Hard to pick out my other favourites from your set, a lot of cracking shots! Really like Stop, metal and would you believe it... GRUNGE! I cringed too when I saw that theme... being a lot of weeks behind at the time (about 8 I think) it very nearly made me abandon the 52 for good :LOL:

Looking forward to your beginnings shot!

Thanks for the catch up Conor :)
Good to see you still hanging in there. Beginnings coming up shortly and then I'll start getting around the other threads.

Been a bit of a busy weekend.
Loads to sort out in the garden - My tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are starting to fruit so I've just planted some salad leaves to go with them . . . fresh homegrown salads coming up in the next couple of weeks (y)

My Evening Primroses have gone insane and seeded all over the garden, so I've potted up some of the seedlings to share with family . . . and I'd rather not mention the weeds that have sprung up everywhere in the last week.

Anyway, it was a bit of a struggle to fit anything photographically creative in amongst all of that.
This may not be the most inspired shot, but at least it (sort of) fits the theme.
We had rain last night and this morning the raindrops were really sparkling in the early morning sun. So this is the beginning of a new sunny day after last night's rain . . . rain droplets on the fir tree
(Also just noticed that the wrong date is showing on the camera . . . will have to work out how to fix that)

Week 26 - Beginnings

I tried out one of those cheap e-bay magnifying filters. I thought I'd start with that and see how much use I get out of it before investing in anything more expensive. Given how cheap they were I was quite pleasantly surprised by the quality. The shot below was about the closest I could get without the filter . . . those needles and water drops really were tiny.

Two lovely shots for 'beginnings'. I love macro shots, the way they pick out the detail we normally never see.

I like the mono version of Grunge - even though the background is still a bit on the clean side for the theme it is a much more dramatic image overall. (y)

Beginnings - these are lovely, and I particularly like the first one where the OOF droplets in the top left lead the eye down to the detail in the lower right. DOF and processing are spot on. :clap::clap:

Those close-up filters are astonishingly good, aren't they. Although eventually I bought a s/h macro lens, I still prefer to take the filter in my light-weight travelling kit.

I like both of your beginning images Sarah but I think #1 gets my vote. I like your processing (as always) on this one. The water drops are more accentuated in #1 and with the light flare top left, it has a more interesting composition. Iain

I'm with the above comment of it looking like an xmas card shot. Nicely done

First one for me, there is no focal point in the second but the first has lots of detail.

Much prefer your second shot for grunge... it's still way to clean and white in the background ;), but the texture of the cloth has gone...

Beginnings... excellent... the cheap filter has done a great job for you there and the processing has helped bring it out. What did you do ? I really like the look and feel of it.

Back