Sarah's 52 for 2010 - Now continued in part 2

Stop: Ouch - that looks as though it could hurt! I love the processing and lighting in this - and I think having the whole foot in would detract from the 'action' and make it less dynamic. Definitely a (y) from me.

Isolation: I love the composition and minimal colours of this. There's something very lonely about one bird perched on a rooftop and the moon balances the shot beautifully. I think you're right that clouds would detract from the crispness of the whole image. Your cheapo lens has served you well - it just proves it the photographer not the kit that makes a photo! :)

I hope life is getting back to normal. :)

Jean

Isolation Sarah........WOW that is simply fantastic. The detail you have captured in the moon, the crisp outline of the bird perched on the tv aerial both really make this image. I can't add anything more to my comments, the image is perfect IMHO. Welcome back, I hope everything has settled in your non TP life. Iain

Stop makes me cringe I can feel that pin I love it

Sarah isolation is fantastic, the colours work perfectly and fits the theme well

Last edited:
Ouch, i can feel the pain now, i've done this many a time and it hurts like hell for such a small wound, i only wish i'd stopped so great take on the theme.

Isolation is a great shot, it has simplicity to it but on a grand scale, i too like the crisp silhouette and it gives it adds to the dusk atmosphere , i wonder if it would have even more impact if you took two images and blended them so the moon was also in focus and the detail stronger. Your PP skills are excellent so im sure you could easily do this.

Sorry, Sarah, I have been getting way behind with comments due to work commitments.

Ingredients - great idea and very promising. Your self crit is spot on and I look forward to the reshoot.

Stop (the real one). Ouch! - definitely fits the theme, and I like the slightly weird colours. I wonder if there is a bit too much blank space on the left? Not sure about that.....

Isolation - lovely colours and silhouette. A slight pity the starling's tail almost merges into the frame of the aerial -- a step to the right might have helped but not always possible, and it is only a minor niggle. The softness of the moon is a bit disturbing though and I agree with Chris that it would be a good idea to blend in a sharper version of the moon. (We don't ask much, do we :D) But the overall concept and composition is stunning. :clap::clap:

STOP: this is such a good idea, Im sure we can all associate with this one. Nice lighting and PP and I dont think not having the heel detracts to be honest as my focus is the pin ;)

ISOLATION: wow, very crisp and well composed. I actually thought this was a composite, the simplicity of this shot works wonderfully ;)

The drawing pin shot is great. If you saw someone in this position you would be shouting "Stop".

I like the bird and the moon too for isolation. The silhouette works well and is nice and crisp.I wonder what he was doing to get left behind.

Love them both, Sarah. Processing works well and they're both bang on theme. The stop one really does make you wince.

The lighting on stop is fantastic. I would want somebody to shout stop if I was in that situation :LOL:

I can't make my mind up with isolation. The silhouette, moon and overall compostion work well and are bang on theme. I think it is the moon that gives me the issue though. It looks like it has been added although I'm sure it hasn't :thinking:

Andy

Stop: Ouch - that looks as though it could hurt! I love the processing and lighting in this - and I think having the whole foot in would detract from the 'action' and make it less dynamic. Definitely a (y) from me.

Isolation: I love the composition and minimal colours of this. There's something very lonely about one bird perched on a rooftop and the moon balances the shot beautifully. I think you're right that clouds would detract from the crispness of the whole image. Your cheapo lens has served you well - it just proves it the photographer not the kit that makes a photo! :)

I hope life is getting back to normal.

Jean

Thanks Jean.
The lens was a bargain at £45 from Ebay. Not really sure how much use I'll get from it, but I'm determined to try moving away from still life so I thought I'd dip my toe in with a cheap one before investing in something more expensive to give me more reach.

Still lots of work and family stuff going on. But the family problems are out of my power to do anything about right now and work is . . . well work.
Gets in the way of life sometimes, but it pays the bills :LOL:

Glad that you like these. After a bit of a failure over the last few weeks I desperately wanted to get back on track this week.

Isolation Sarah........WOW that is simply fantastic. The detail you have captured in the moon, the crisp outline of the bird perched on the tv aerial both really make this image. I can't add anything more to my comments, the image is perfect IMHO. Welcome back, I hope everything has settled in your non TP life. Iain

Thanks Iain.
Non TP life is a bit calmer (for me anyway!) and it's good to get time to spend with the camera again this week.
And thank you for the lovely comments on the isolation shot.

Stop makes me cringe I can feel that pin I love it

Sarah isolation is fantastic, the colours work perfectly and fits the theme well

:LOL: That was kind of the intention with stop, but don't worry I didn't actually step on it!

And thank you for the comments on isolation.
I've already admitted that it was a bit experimental and not shot specifically for the theme, so I'm amazed that it's gone down so well.

Ouch, i can feel the pain now, i've done this many a time and it hurts like hell for such a small wound, i only wish i'd stopped so great take on the theme.

Isolation is a great shot, it has simplicity to it but on a grand scale, i too like the crisp silhouette and it gives it adds to the dusk atmosphere , i wonder if it would have even more impact if you took two images and blended them so the moon was also in focus and the detail stronger. Your PP skills are excellent so im sure you could easily do this.

Thanks Chris. Been there, done that with the stop image too. Thankfully this time was staged!

I might just try out your suggestion with the isolation shot. TBH there was quite a bit of PP on the moon to bring out the details that are there, so overlaying another moon shot might actually be a simpler solution.

Sorry, Sarah, I have been getting way behind with comments due to work commitments.

Ingredients - great idea and very promising. Your self crit is spot on and I look forward to the reshoot.

Stop (the real one). Ouch! - definitely fits the theme, and I like the slightly weird colours. I wonder if there is a bit too much blank space on the left? Not sure about that.....

Isolation - lovely colours and silhouette. A slight pity the starling's tail almost merges into the frame of the aerial -- a step to the right might have helped but not always possible, and it is only a minor niggle. The softness of the moon is a bit disturbing though and I agree with Chris that it would be a good idea to blend in a sharper version of the moon. (We don't ask much, do we :D) But the overall concept and composition is stunning. :clap::clap:

Thanks Tracer.
Re: Stop. I'm relieved that you like the weird colours. That wasn't an odd WB mistake, I deliberately added the toning to give it a bit more oomph - the straight B&W looked a little too flat. Interesting that you mention the crop too. I had originally taken more from the LHS, but I felt that the pin/nail type thingy (not really sure what it is, it came with some flat pack furniture and looked pretty lethal which is why I used it) ended up too central.

Re: Isolation.
You're a demanding audience this year aren't you? ;) :p
I might just give Chris's idea a try if I get chance.
I hadn't noticed the tail until you mentioned it. He was fidgeting about quite a bit and I was so focused on trying to get his head in profile that I didn't look at where his tail was :bang:

STOP: this is such a good idea, Im sure we can all associate with this one. Nice lighting and PP and I dont think not having the heel detracts to be honest as my focus is the pin ;)

ISOLATION: wow, very crisp and well composed. I actually thought this was a composite, the simplicity of this shot works wonderfully ;)

Thank you Dade.
It's nice to post something that I'm not ashamed of this week - and a relief to see them both received well (even though I know that both are far from perfect)

Last edited:
The drawing pin shot is great. If you saw someone in this position you would be shouting "Stop".

I like the bird and the moon too for isolation. The silhouette works well and is nice and crisp.I wonder what he was doing to get left behind.

Thanks Sue, when I took the stop shot I was visualising someone shouting "Stop!", so I'm glad that came across.
As for the Starling, maybe he'd been misbehaving and was sent to the naughty perch :LOL:

Love them both, Sarah. Processing works well and they're both bang on theme. The stop one really does make you wince.

Thanks Dean. That means a lot coming from you.
Lots that I'd still like to improve in them, but I'm satisfied that they're acceptable enough to show this week :)

The lighting on stop is fantastic. I would want somebody to shout stop if I was in that situation :LOL:

I can't make my mind up with isolation. The silhouette, moon and overall compostion work well and are bang on theme. I think it is the moon that gives me the issue though. It looks like it has been added although I'm sure it hasn't :thinking:

Andy

Thanks Andy.
The lighting was probably more luck than judgement on stop - I used 2 desk lamps angled towards the pin and fiddled around until I was happy with the result.

Seems like the moon isn't quite there for a few people. That's part of the reason I would have liked some clouds to make it more a part of the image, if you know what I mean.
This is also quite heavily cropped which I don't think has helped with the sharpness of the moon.

Hi Sarah. Two great images this week. Like others have said "stop" really made me wince. I like the colour and the lighting and I don't think the heel being chopped off detracts at all.

The moon shot is very clever and a great take on the theme. I have tried taking photos of the moon and it is very difficult, so you have made a good job of it, although a bit sharper would have helped. I disagree about the clouds. I don't think you need any distractions in this shot.

Good week this week :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Stop reshoot, is excellent Sarah, very well thought out, and defo something you'd want to stop for..

Based on the image of the moon, you took this on about the 22nd :D...

It looks like you have pushed the definition/clarity a bit hard, the dark halo around the moon and the light halo around the aerial and starling.

It is clearly showing isolation, and I think the moon adds to it. Whilst it might have been nice to see more detail in the moon, you would have been very hard pushed to achieve it getting the aerial and bird sharp as you have, you could have taken two and merged them.

Now... I like it, and think that even though the moon isn't as sharp as you might like, it's a great idea for the theme.

Two great images Sarah!! Glad you are getting more time behind the camera again :)

Stop is simply brilliant, I love the 'feel' of this shot...(y)

Isolation is very impressive too...I love the silhouette and am impressed at the clarity of the moon...works really well :)

The Stop shot is superb, I really like the idea and the interpretation is really clever. Can't help feeling it's all a bit too much on the right though with all the black space on the left. I'm not sure it needs the heel, maybe just crop a little off the right.

I'm not so keen on the Isolated shot but that doesn't mean it's bad but it doesn't grab my attention as well as the other one. Really well exposed though.

John, Sonia, JustLooking & Neil - Thankyou for your comments on my last catch up.

I can't help feeling that my 52 is doomed this year :bang:
This time it hasn't been work or family stuff, but broadband problems that have been keeping me away.
Fingers crossed that all seems to be sorted now and I'm back to being able to use the internet without waiting 10 minutes for a page to load.

Anyway, the PC problems haven't kept me away from the camera. I've got the last 2 weeks to upload, plus a couple of reshoots - so here goes :

Week 22 - Quality

Week 23 - Post

Reshoots for Chopped and Produce (take your pick as to which is which)

Quality : Would you believe me if I said that I deliberately overexposed the petals in this one and I liked the dreamlike quality it gave the shot?
No?
How about if I said that this wasn't just a Chrysanthemum, but an M&S quality Chrysanthemum?
Still No?

:razz: Well I don't care. I couldn't get inspired by this theme and I liked this image.

Anyway, I spotted the light coming through the front door Sunday morning and quite liked the way that it lit up odd places in the hall.
A de-clutter of the hallway, a few envelopes stuck in the letterbox and some eerie PP and this is what I ended up with.
Another uninspiring theme and this is the best that I could come up with.

Reshoots Chopped and produce have been on my reshoot list for a while and as they're similar themes, I decided to shoot 2 similar subjects but try to give them a totally different feel.
Also finally got round to ordering my nifty fifty and the strawberry shot is its first appearance so far in my 52.

Anyway off now for a major catch up on everybody else's :)

Wow come more stunning photos.

Quality - The detail and sharpness is incredible.

Post - A really interesting photo. A truely unique shot and makes what is a pretty boring theme really interesting.

Chopped/Produce - 2 very good photos, not sure which is which. I think I'd go for the strawberrys as produce and the cherry for chopped, I have no idea why. Out of the 2 I think the strawberry one is the stand out one just because of the colours.

That's an excellent catch up, Sarah. (y)

Quality: A Quality shot for a carp theme. I like it. :)

Post: Anybody could have taken a photo of their front door with post in the letter box, but you have made it something special. I'm not sure what you've done - some crazy negative filter? - radioactive? :eek: - but it definitely works for me. This is the type of shot that makes your 52 a treat to visit each week. :)

Reshoot, strawberries and cherry: It doesn't matter what you call them - they're both good clean images and Persil-white backgrounds. :clap:

The shadow under the strawberry looks a bit textured, so I'm wondering how you got the rest of the b/g white? :thinking: Are you pleased with the nifty fifty? The strawberry shot is nice and sharp on the green stalk, and the dof works well.

Of the two, I'd vote for the cherry - the b&w treatment has an 'art print' look and that's a very crisp background. I like the lighting and the shadow of the stalk. A simple but elegant shot. (y)

Jean

initially looking at the post shot i thought its a door i don't get it, after i looked again i noticed the post in the letter box, I like the feel and shot, good work.

the b&w cherry is also very nice to look at, some thing i would expect in canvas print at a large size.

Super shots as always Sarah.

Quality is excellent - very sharp at the centre.

Post is creepy.

Love the cherry - the shape formed by the stalk is great.

Sarah, welcome back :D
Great catch-up, well done on that against the many obstacles you've had to get over.
Quality, a lovely crisp image, showing lots of detail. This would work really well as a large print. Your thoughts/reasons for it being on theme :cautious: :LOL:

Post, I spotted the mail in the letterbox straight away, its bang on theme. Very creative processing on this, I am a fan of your processing skills, wish I was half as good. I like the lighting and composition of this image, I like the eerie feel to it too.

Reshoot, I am drawn more to the strawberries image, might be something to do with the colour. They are both well lit and composed images, I particularly like the framing of both.

All round good catch-up, well done (y) Iain

Really like the quality and post shots Sarah, I know you like to process your shots pretty heavilly and that often means its not to my taste but the post image is visually great.

The strawberry shot seems oversharpened but like the cherry shot a lot as it has much better composition.

Dan

Hi Sarah, glad you got your broadband sorted. How did we manage in the days of modems?

I love all your catch-up shots. Quality is beautiful, although I have no idea how it fits the theme. I love the symmetry of it.

Post - your processing has made what could have been a rather boring photo into something quite special. Great take on the theme.

I love both of the fruit shots but prefer the strawberry mainly becuase I tend to go for bright colours. I really like the texture of the surface under the strawberry in the shadows.

Great week.

Jenny

Wow come more stunning photos.

Quality - The detail and sharpness is incredible.

Post - A really interesting photo. A truely unique shot and makes what is a pretty boring theme really interesting.

Chopped/Produce - 2 very good photos, not sure which is which. I think I'd go for the strawberrys as produce and the cherry for chopped, I have no idea why. Out of the 2 I think the strawberry one is the stand out one just because of the colours.

Thanks Darren.
Quality and Post were both done in desperation. I think those are the 2 least inspiring themes that we've had so far, so I'm glad that you liked them.

That's an excellent catch up, Sarah. (y)

Quality: A Quality shot for a carp theme. I like it. :)

Post: Anybody could have taken a photo of their front door with post in the letter box, but you have made it something special. I'm not sure what you've done - some crazy negative filter? - radioactive? :eek: - but it definitely works for me. This is the type of shot that makes your 52 a treat to visit each week. :)

Reshoot, strawberries and cherry: It doesn't matter what you call them - they're both good clean images and Persil-white backgrounds. :clap:

The shadow under the strawberry looks a bit textured, so I'm wondering how you got the rest of the b/g white? :thinking: Are you pleased with the nifty fifty? The strawberry shot is nice and sharp on the green stalk, and the dof works well.

Of the two, I'd vote for the cherry - the b&w treatment has an 'art print' look and that's a very crisp background. I like the lighting and the shadow of the stalk. A simple but elegant shot. (y)

Jean

Thank you Jean. Really detailed feedback as always.
The radioactive hall is a bit of fractalius applied with reduced opacity - Sheer desperation to create something interesting :LOL:

I can't answer your question about the textured shadow / white background because I don't know the answer - :shrug: that's just how it came out.
It was shot on a white cotton napkin, which is where the texture came from, but as to why it's only visible in the shadow I've no idea.
Both fruit shots were taken in bright sun in the garden to try to get the white as bright as possible and then a tweak in levels to brighten the whites.

I'm pleased with the nifty but haven't really played with it much yet.
It's a learning curve in PP. I always shoot in RAW so have to sharpen a bit, just getting used to it needing less sharpening than the kit lens.

initially looking at the post shot i thought its a door i don't get it, after i looked again i noticed the post in the letter box, I like the feel and shot, good work.

the b&w cherry is also very nice to look at, some thing i would expect in canvas print at a large size.

Thank you David.
Glad that you liked them - and that you eventually spotted the post :LOL:

I quite like the cherry too.
Normally, I would never have thought of presenting fruit in B&W. I prefer to bring out the colour in it. This was a bit of an experiment to stop it being too similar to the strawberry, but it came out better than expected.

Super shots as always Sarah.

Quality is excellent - very sharp at the centre.

Post is creepy.

Love the cherry - the shape formed by the stalk is great.

Thanks Paul.
Glad that you liked them. The shape of the cherry stalk was a lucky accident - I didn't actually really notice that curve until I loaded it onto the PC.

Sarah, welcome back :D
Great catch-up, well done on that against the many obstacles you've had to get over.
Quality, a lovely crisp image, showing lots of detail. This would work really well as a large print. Your thoughts/reasons for it being on theme :cautious: :LOL:

Post, I spotted the mail in the letterbox straight away, its bang on theme. Very creative processing on this, I am a fan of your processing skills, wish I was half as good. I like the lighting and composition of this image, I like the eerie feel to it too.

Reshoot, I am drawn more to the strawberries image, might be something to do with the colour. They are both well lit and composed images, I particularly like the framing of both.

All round good catch-up, well done (y) Iain

Thanks Iain.
And I don't know what you mean about my reasons for quality being suspect :wacky: :LOL:

Believe me I still have loads to learn about processing - and the bits that I have learnt have just been by randomly playing around. I've created more disasters than things that have worked, but I'm glad that the spooky feel came across in post.

Really like the quality and post shots Sarah, I know you like to process your shots pretty heavilly and that often means its not to my taste but the post image is visually great.

The strawberry shot seems oversharpened but like the cherry shot a lot as it has much better composition.

Dan

Thanks Dan.
Good spot on the sharpening on the strawberries. I'm still getting used to the RAW files with the nifty fifty not needing as much sharpening as with the kit lens.

And if even you like the processing in post, then it can't be that bad :LOL:

Hi Sarah, glad you got your broadband sorted. How did we manage in the days of modems?

I love all your catch-up shots. Quality is beautiful, although I have no idea how it fits the theme. I love the symmetry of it.

Post - your processing has made what could have been a rather boring photo into something quite special. Great take on the theme.

I love both of the fruit shots but prefer the strawberry mainly becuase I tend to go for bright colours. I really like the texture of the surface under the strawberry in the shadows.

Great week.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny.
You don't realise how much you rely on the internet until it's not working for you.

I'm not sure that I know how quality really fits the theme either, but it was a rubbish theme anyway :LOL:
Glad that you like them though, and it feels good to have caught up.

Good to see you back again!

Quality: I love this image with its dreamy soft colours. It would make a very nice greetings card.

Post: scary stuff! It looks like the aftermath of some nuclear disaster. Full marks for an imaginative treatment of an uninspiring theme.

Chopped and Produce - excellent composition and lighting for both. Personally I would prefer a bit of colour in the cherry - a bleach bypass effect, perhaps? I also find the texture of the cloth in the shadows a bit disturbing.Not that I am one to talk - I find plain white bgs very difficult.

Very good Sarah... lovely sharp details in the flower. Post is a great take on the theme, I thought I recognised the plugin ;)...

A lovely pair of reshoot shots too... I think the strawbs are stronger with the colour

LOVE that quality shot, Sarah. Beautiful and simple composition, nice and sharp, and the slight over exposure really does add something to it. Makes it look like both a flower and a cauliflower!

The Post shot is cool as...Fractilus?

Ingredients...As always you self critique is spot on, pat on the back for trying something new and look forward to you trying again.

Stop....Would have prefered the hand coming straight at me but I wouldn't call it a cheat ;)

Isolation...That little chap looks perfect for the theme and I'm sure John likes your moon shot.

Quality...

Quality : Would you believe me if I said that I deliberately overexposed the petals in this one and I liked the dreamlike quality it gave the shot?

Yes I would, lovely shot.

Post...eerie is quite a good description of this shot, I think I have to de-clutter everytime I think about shooting inside.

(y)

Quality shot of the chrysanthum flower.It looks so silky and soft ( not in an OOF way). The black and white cherry is great and the hallway leads you stright to the Post so excellent.
Sue

Thank you Sue.
I wasn't sure about post and it was a :puke: theme anyway, but I'm glad that it's got a positive response.

Very good Sarah... lovely sharp details in the flower. Post is a great take on the theme, I thought I recognised the plugin ;)...

A lovely pair of reshoot shots too... I think the strawbs are stronger with the colour

Thanks John. I haven't really used Fractalius much. Seemed a good idea at the time, but I just don't get much use for it.
It wasn't expensive though and there's always the odd shot that needs a bit of something "odd" done to it.

LOVE that quality shot, Sarah. Beautiful and simple composition, nice and sharp, and the slight over exposure really does add something to it. Makes it look like both a flower and a cauliflower!

The Post shot is cool as...Fractilus?

Thanks Dean. I hadn't seen the cauliflower likeness until you pointed it out . . . but now that you mention it, it's definitely there! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ingredients...As always you self critique is spot on, pat on the back for trying something new and look forward to you trying again.

Stop....Would have prefered the hand coming straight at me but I wouldn't call it a cheat ;)

Isolation...That little chap looks perfect for the theme and I'm sure John likes your moon shot.

Quality...

Yes I would, lovely shot.

Post...eerie is quite a good description of this shot, I think I have to de-clutter everytime I think about shooting inside.

(y)

Thanks Scott.

I've tried the ingredients reshoot once already. The results were far better, but still not quite of a quality that I'm happy with.
Hoping that it'll be third time lucky and I'll get what I'm after.

And thank you for believing my dubious reasoning behind quality :LOL:

I actually shot this a couple of weeks ago, but it's been sat on my hard drive waiting for processing.

This is a metal dragonfly sculpture at a canal centre, just up the road from me. Some more information here if anyone's interested.

A little worse for wear after 9 or 10 years. He's lost most of his tail and part of one of his wings, but I still think it's an interesting piece of artwork.

I wanted to give this a Sci-Fi type feel.
Mono conversion, split toning and some dodging and burning.

Week 24 - Metal

Not sure if it's a bit dark - I'm on the lappy out in the garden, so hard to tell. I'll have a look later and brighten up if necessary.

What the..is it? :LOL:
The colours are beautiful and the detail spot on. Definitely fits the theme.

Sarah i think your Post shot id amazing, i love how you have processed it, it looks like some kind of sci fi poltergeist plasma attack on the room, your house looks like fun:LOL:
continuing on the sci fi theme i also like the processing an split toning on the metal theme. How long do you take pp ing these?

What the..is it? :LOL:
The colours are beautiful and the detail spot on. Definitely fits the theme.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: It's a Dragonfly (or that's what it says on the label anyway)
Glad that you like it.

Sarah i think your Post shot id amazing, i love how you have processed it, it looks like some kind of sci fi poltergeist plasma attack on the room, your house looks like fun:LOL:
continuing on the sci fi theme i also like the processing an split toning on the metal theme. How long do you take pp ing these?

Thanks Chris.
The post shot was a really quick edit. A standard filter in Fractalius and then tweaking the opacity of the filter layer. It took me longer to move all the coats / dog leads etc off the coat rack and then put them all back :LOL:

Metal took quite a bit longer. Maybe an hour and a half or so.
The split toning was really quick and easy, but I spent a long time dodging and burning the dragonfly. Originally it was disappearing into the b/g too much.
I think I've lost a bit of sharpness through the PP, but I don't think that matters too much with the feel of the image.

I really like the composition and PP on the metal shot. I think you have lost a tiny bit of sharpness & the sharpness would help it to pop, but it is a very strong shot nevertheless.

Phil

Your Metal shot makes me realise just how uninspired I've been this week, Sarah. As always, you've used creative processing in the best possible way and made an eye-catching and interesting image out of it.

I specifically like: the dark background bringing out the intricate shapes in the wings; the reflection - just enough; the colours and the presentation (framing).

A huge (y) from me! :)

Jean

I love the idea, Sarah. I'm on my wifes laptop for the next week or two so I'm not commenting on pictures as it's so bright it's impossible to do so fairly.

Back