weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

The first shoe shot I agree with Allan better composition, but I really like the colours in the second shot, especially the well defined shadow they make.

The third shot of Dudley is simply excellent, the focus on the eye really works well. What a cracking little dog:)

I'd go with the first elegant photo, I find the angle a bit unusual in the second.
Lovely photos of your dog, may be the slight hint of a shoehorn, agree with the above that the third is probably the pick.

I'd go with the first elegant photo, I find the angle a bit unusual in the second.
Lovely photos of your dog, may be the slight hint of a shoehorn, agree with the above that the third is probably the pick.
Hi Chris

What is the slight hint you are getting of a shoehorn? just womdering.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Derelict - I'm going to say the colour version too, for much the same reason as you. But I think If they were both colour, I would have gone #2 due to having the arch of the window in the shot too.

Elegant - Shoes2 for me. The reds and golds are excelent, and there are no distractions. Stunning.

Home - Leftfield, we like leftfield... I think the second for me, due to the extra context.

Round
The second photo is more interesting for me.
It might be because I'm looking on my phone, does it need a white balance adjustment, it looks a little warm.

both work for the theme but number two for me also, i do agree with the white balance adjustment mentioned above too

Two good subjects for the them, second for me too mainly because it is a different take on the theme

#2, Leading lines - tick, well controlled exposure - tick, on theme - tick, strong colours - tick. But oddly I think I prefer #1, because it's something different/unusual.

Thank you for your comments

Round
The second photo is more interesting for me.
It might be because I'm looking on my phone, does it need a white balance adjustment, it looks a little warm.

both work for the theme but number two for me also, i do agree with the white balance adjustment mentioned above too

Thank you both for your comments, re the white balance, It was taken early in the morning and the lens I used has a more yellow coating than my nikon lenses and is a bit older so the coatings may not be so colour neutral.

Two good subjects for the them, second for me too mainly because it is a different take on the theme

Certainly #2 for me Pete, a perfect location for the theme of round, the shadows of the railings certainly have a good place within the scene.

Thank you for your comments.

Pete

Yum yum!

Food photography is quite an art it’s all about presentation not sure this is the best way to have presented it the grill doesn’t work for me a plate may have been a better option

Food photography is quite an art it’s all about presentation not sure this is the best way to have presented it the grill doesn’t work for me a plate may have been a better option

It is bl**dy hard. but it was cooking, I did try to take a photo of the steak being lift up at one end, but there was not enought light and my hand and tongs where moving. I guess I could have increased the ISO but it was a complete faff due to where the tripod was. Our kitchen is not large.
But the steak was very tasty.

Pete

I like the grill but think you could of cropped out the hob bit(ok I am not very domesticated!). Are the mushroom bottom right in focus? I really like the way you have captured the sheen of the juices which I think really makes the picture and of course bang on theme.

I like the grill but think you could of cropped out the hob bit(ok I am not very domesticated!). Are the mushroom bottom right in focus? I really like the way you have captured the sheen of the juices which I think really makes the picture and of course bang on theme.
You mean at the top, I had not seen that. I had already cropped and rotated the image to get it looking better than it was shot.

Pete

You mean at the top, I had not seen that. I had already cropped and rotated the image to get it looking better than it was shot.

Pete
Yes Pete the bit at the top, oven, cooker, gas ring thingy!

Roger

I do get what the other comments about the surroundings are saying.
With the options available, perhaps a very tight crop might be an option?
I want to question the colour. It seems a bit warm maybe?

White balance looks a bit off (yellow/tungsten) on my monitor and the angle make it look to me like the steak is going to slide off. Otherwise I like it, the grill is good context IMHO and the food looks juicy and yummy which is the point of food photography.

Cooking

I actually don't mind the composition and crop, a little w/b adjustment might be an idea, it all looks a bit orange.

Short, like the composition, think I might of tried to pull a little more detail out of the shadows if possible. Fits the theme great.

My starter for wk32 Forked.

Wk32 Forked Tree Trunck by Peter, on Flickr

Saw this tree while walking round an open garden in Somerset while away from home.
Exposure upped a bit to show the forked tree trunk better.

Last edited:
Like the composition, on theme, well exposed looks sharper on flickr in my opinion.

Pity about the fence but a good example of a forked tree abit more of the top of the tree rather than the floor maybe but that’s being a bit picky

Like the composition, on theme, well exposed looks sharper on flickr in my opinion.

Thanks for your comments Roger.

Pity about the fence but a good example of a forked tree abit more of the top of the tree rather than the floor maybe but that’s being a bit picky

Hi Allan, unfortunatly the fence was there not much I could do about it as I had left my Saw at home. Thanks for the comments.

Hi Pete,
Ref the fence. Possibly one for the spot healing brush in PS? The wooden fence is fine, but the wires could do with disappearing IMO. Worth a try?
As you say, you've upped the exposure to make the forks in the trunk stand out. It's had a bit of an effect on the sky that's showing through the canopy though. Possibly could have been done differently using a brush to increase the exposure on the tree by itself, leaving the sky and canopy darker (would have helped make the tree pop too).
It's always going to be difficult with so much of the same colour palette.

Hi Pete,
Ref the fence. Possibly one for the spot healing brush in PS? The wooden fence is fine, but the wires could do with disappearing IMO. Worth a try?
As you say, you've upped the exposure to make the forks in the trunk stand out. It's had a bit of an effect on the sky that's showing through the canopy though. Possibly could have been done differently using a brush to increase the exposure on the tree by itself, leaving the sky and canopy darker (would have helped make the tree pop too).
It's always going to be difficult with so much of the same colour palette.

Thanks Tim for your comments. I will give your suggestions a try, with my limited PS Skills.

Pete

Fork

Good idea using the fork of a tree. The edit is better.

Thanks Dominic
When I saw it I knew I had a photo for the theme. Also first time I had used the tools LC2 mentioned in PS so I'm glad you prefered it.

Back