weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

I agree with Tim above the white balance is more of an issue in the dog picture but a good shot of the dog anyhow and bang on theme

crushed is not really doing a thing for me

Hi Pete, I do love those Tommy figures and they are very effective. I can see exactly what you wanted to do, having the memorial framed by the Tommy and the wreaths at the bottom, and it's just a shame about the light on the white house in the background. Not a lot you could do about that though, and I had a similar problem with my Lost subject and a bench in exactly the wrong place!
Monstrous - fit the theme very well and gives a great sense of scale with the tree canopy looming above and filling the sky.
Balance - very cute and clever!
Crushed - definitely conveys the theme title very clearly, but I wonder if you could have done something different with the point of focus as the foreground is a bit empty and OOF and the background rocks are truncated at the top. It's hard to tell if there is another angle you could have tried, but you say it's a starter so maybe you have something else up your sleeve...

Lovely little chap balancing on his hind legs, good choice for the theme.

Crushed, I think the idea is good but hard to execute, the blue plastic adds a bit of colour amongst the grey.

I must learn to stop posting my weekly theme and then adding comments to all the other posters putting my thread back down the list.

Pete

Well I was just about to come in and comment which would have put you back up, you beat me too it, I like the feeling of motion you have but to be a little critical it maybe slightly to much as you have lost one of the dancers a little, but it’s certainly on theme

Motion. I like the movement you have captured and it is great to see people experimenting a bit in the 52. I must admit on first looking it did look a bit like a bloke hugging a xmas tree, then I saw the legs.:)

Sorry Pete, not for me I'm afraid.
It's on theme n all that, but I would rather have the background still and the dancers moving, than the whole lot blurred. I don't really think it works as a panning shot.

Balance
That's pretty impressive, my dog can only just about stand on four legs

Crush(ed)

Not a bad go for the theme, the blue stands out well against the grey tones.

Loving the motion - just enough detail in their faces to make it work :)

Works for me Pete.
Nicely exposed. Glad you didn't feel the need to bring down the window highlights as the gradient between the bright and the darker areas works well.
Definitely has the dinner party feel :)

Party, Really nice image, I like the tree slightly oof in the background makes a real festive feel to the shot. I might of tried adjusting the verticals in LR.

Ps. Love your Charlie Chaplin figurine.

I have enjoyed doing the 52, it has been Hard work keeping up with the themes and comments and apologies for any that I may have missed, but it has been rewarding and made me use a camera most weeks. Not always the camera I would have preferred but they all work the same way and using the Canon G11 has at times been a nightmare hand holding long exposures like my Tango Motion shot from wk50.

I hope every one had a Merry Christmas and has a brilliant New Year.

Cheers Pete:beer:

Hi Pete.
Unless I've missed it, you've not linked this in the main thread.

Great detail captured in your shot of Dudley, and he's very well behaved to model for you like that, but for me the kite surfin' shot pips it, a great composite of the action, it really captures the energy.

Two superb images, I'm so torn, both are excellent.
The first is perfectly captured and such a dynamic shot, and the second is a fantastically detailed, perfectly focussed portrait of an adorable subject!

Great finish Pete, congratulations....see you in next years 52, Happy New Year!:)

Party is a lovely shot, Pete, with warm tones and an inviting composition. Both of your Showcase images are excellent and how can you choose between an excellent action composite and an adorable doggy?

Well done for plugging on and completing your 52, and I look forward to seeing your images next year. Happy New Year!

Well I was just about to come in and comment which would have put you back up, you beat me too it, I like the feeling of motion you have but to be a little critical it maybe slightly to much as you have lost one of the dancers a little, but it’s certainly on theme

Thanks Allan, They where moving quite fast at the time doing a Giro, this is where the lady moves around the Gent. It was also a 1 second handheld shot.

Motion. I like the movement you have captured and it is great to see people experimenting a bit in the 52. I must admit on first looking it did look a bit like a bloke hugging a xmas tree, then I saw the legs.:)

I can see why, there was a xmas tree behind them.

Definitely a great sense of motion, nice strong colours too. Portrait orientation gives emphasis to their feet movement....clever! (y)

Thanks Gareth, Nice comments

That just captures the essence of the theme with plenty of blurry movement to show. Being a bit picky, I would crop or clone out that stray feet/body/object at the bottom.

Hi Stan, I used my crap laptop to post the Image so it was not that obvious

Motion is a nice shot and good for the theme. I love the shot for Balance...OH so cute.

Thanks Dave, he knows he is cute and plays on it.

Pete

Sorry Pete, not for me I'm afraid.
It's on theme n all that, but I would rather have the background still and the dancers moving, than the whole lot blurred. I don't really think it works as a panning shot.

It was a handheld shot with no inteded movement of the camera, the dancers are moving around each other, but mainly the lady doing most of the movement.

Balance
That's pretty impressive, my dog can only just about stand on four legs

He is so very clever he does handstands as well on his front legs, not managed to catch him on camera doing that yet.

Thanks Pete

Crush(ed)

Not a bad go for the theme, the blue stands out well against the grey tones.

It was not one of my best shots but I did like that and the detail in the crust ruble.

Loving the motion - just enough detail in their faces to make it work :)

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Hi Pete, that's a great idea for Motion. Maybe a tad too much movement as some detail is lost, as a couple of people have mentioned, but I do like the way more detail has been retained in the feet and also the bright colours in the background. It conveys the theme very well (y)

Thanks for your comments Andrea, It was a once only type of shot and it worked for me. The Tango can be a very fast dance.

Pete

Very nice....I can sense the atmosphere of anticipation for the party from here!
Well balanced image, with great detail all the way through to the far room.
I like the colour scheme of the rooms....nice furniture too Pete.
(y)

Thanks Gareth.I did a bit of focus stacking to get most of it in focus, apart the the tree. My Missis chooses the furniture and colours of the rooms, she does a good job.

Works for me Pete.
Nicely exposed. Glad you didn't feel the need to bring down the window highlights as the gradient between the bright and the darker areas works well.
Definitely has the dinner party feel :)

Hi Tim, I like taking photos which show what I see, so I did not play with the highlight of the window.

Party is a good image and agree with Tim about not bringing down the highlights. A good colourful party shot.

Thanks David.

Party, Really nice image, I like the tree slightly oof in the background makes a real festive feel to the shot. I might of tried adjusting the verticals in LR.

Ps. Love your Charlie Chaplin figurine.

That would have been very difficult as some vertical are not as bad as the close one are. Charlie just stands there not saying a word, so he is ok.

Pete

Hi Pete.
Unless I've missed it, you've not linked this in the main thread.

I ran out of time to post to the main thread as well, I'm one of those cash poor time poor people.

Great detail captured in your shot of Dudley, and he's very well behaved to model for you like that, but for me the kite surfin' shot pips it, a great composite of the action, it really captures the energy.

Thanks Tim for your comments through out the year.

Two superb images, I'm so torn, both are excellent.
The first is perfectly captured and such a dynamic shot, and the second is a fantastically detailed, perfectly focussed portrait of an adorable subject!

Great finish Pete, congratulations....see you in next years 52, Happy New Year!:)

Thanks Gareth, Yes see you next year and I hope it will be a happy one.

Nice finish Pete, love the picture of Dudley! Well done on completing the project.

Thanks Micheal. Enjoy the New Year.

Party is a lovely shot, Pete, with warm tones and an inviting composition. Both of your Showcase images are excellent and how can you choose between an excellent action composite and an adorable doggy?

Well done for plugging on and completing your 52, and I look forward to seeing your images next year. Happy New Year!

Thank you Andrea, Have a great New Year as well.

Showcase
They both look good to me, but I'm a sucker for a pet pic, even more so for a dog one.

Well done for finishing Pete. The composite is very clever but for me its the lovely Dudley who is the winner :D

Back