weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

I had a little bit of free time this morning so went out and about to shoot some rural Images.

Here is one
Wk24 Rural by Peter, on Flickr

I did think of cutting some of the grass foreground out, but that leaves the black bullock in the wrong place.

Pete

Last edited:
Nice rural scene and I agree about the placement of the bullock the cows are nicely framed by the trees

That's a good idea for Match, Steve, and a lovely viewpoint. I've been up there once myself and really enjoyed the view and the contrast between the beautiful old buildings and the new ones just over the river.
A nice set of images for Music, and although the close-ups are a good idea I really like the first one as it shouts 'music' the moment you see it. A good selection of items (y)
Hard - good idea, and you've done a good to to cut out any reflections.
Creatures - not the most interesting creatures but it's a box ticked :)
Synthetic - I'm not sure if it's really synthetic (?) but the statue is an interesting one and I like the way you've gone in close; it makes the viewer feel like part of the whispered conversation. Good exposure of the metal too, avoiding any reflections or burned-out highlights.
Rural - that's a cracker; such a traditional rural scene with the blue sky and rich fresh greens of the grass and leaves. Very nice indeed!

Last edited:
Rural -- A pleasant little scene. I think the black one is correctly placed unless you were going to move really close in on him.

Nice rural scene and I agree about the placement of the bullock the cows are nicely framed by the trees

Thanks Allan

That's a good idea for Match, Steve, and a lovely viewpoint. I've been up there once myself and really enjoyed the view and the contrast between the beautiful old buildings and the new ones just over the river.
A nice set of images for Music, and although the close-ups are a good idea I really like the first one as it shouts 'music' the moment you see it. A good selection of items (y)
Hard - good idea, and you've done a good to to cut out any reflections.
Creatures - not the most interesting creatures but it's a box ticked :)
Synthetic - I'm not sure if it's really synthetic (?) but the statue is an interesting one and I like the way you've gone in close; it makes the viewer feel like part of the whispered conversation. Good exposure of the metal too, avoiding any reflections or burned-out highlights.
Rural - that's a cracker; such a traditional rural scene with the blue sky and rich fresh greens of the grass and leaves. Very nice indeed!

Hi Andrea, My name is Pete, not Steve.
Greenwich is an interest place now, I have alway thought it would be like most of the rest of London.
Hard, Thanks for the comments.
Creatures, I know, I could have takens some cows lying down in a field, which I thought was not as good.
Synthectic, Well they are not real, Thanks for the other comments, makes this worthwhile.
Rural, Thanks, being in the right place at the right time helps, but more my thing than taking photos of odd subjects.

Rural -- A pleasant little scene. I think the black one is correctly placed unless you were going to move really close in on him.
Thanks Martin, I did ask him to move there from the gate, I'm glad he understood.

Pete

Nice coos and tree pic! I'd whap the colour up a notch but that's just me :)

Certainly bang on for the theme, I'm with Dave in as much as I would up the saturation/vibrance a tad

Hi Pete,

Synthetic - Works for the theme for me. They certainly stand out from the background, even though the colours are similar(ish). The crop in is a bit awkward perhaps, but I don't know what else would have been intruding into the frame. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Rural - No problem with the foreground space here, I think it balances it well. Colours look good too.

Nice compo, nice sky too. (y)

Nice coos and tree pic! I'd whap the colour up a notch but that's just me :)

Certainly bang on for the theme, I'm with Dave in as much as I would up the saturation/vibrance a tad

Hi Pete,

Synthetic - Works for the theme for me. They certainly stand out from the background, even though the colours are similar(ish). The crop in is a bit awkward perhaps, but I don't know what else would have been intruding into the frame. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Rural - No problem with the foreground space here, I think it balances it well. Colours look good too.

Thanks fella's, I don't have a Fuji so not used to the saturated colours.

Pete

Another early go at this weeks theme. Yesterday I was home sitting in the garden having a cup of tea and looking at a Chris Packam Book "100 Things That Caught My Eye" I had from the library. I looked up thinking and saw the moon all nice and bright against the Blue Sky. I got my equipment out, Tripod was up and I was changing to my 80-400mm Lens when I had another look up and this plane went right past the moon, all lit up by the sun as well. I had missed that one. There some clouds about and I wait till they where in position and took this shot. Which has been cropped a bit.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/28mUae9]Bright Moon by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

This morning I was up early and went out side to take some pictures in the garden as it was Bright again.
Here is one I like, square cropped, I like the highlights on the flowers in focus and the OOF background which is still very colourful.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/28ri24F]Flowers in the Morning Bright. by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

I did take some photos of the sun hiding behind trees, but they did not turn out as well as I was hoping.
I'm on holiday next week so will have some time to try some more ideas.

Pete

I prefer the moon shot to the flowers as I am not to keen on the placement of the flowers in the frame and it needs a little more DoF

Moon shot is ok but I really like the flowers :)

Here is my starter for one.
When Snakey picked ELEGANT, I was a bit stumped. My wife mentioned roses as being elegant so here is one. I had a lot of trouble seperating a nice flower out and making it look elegant as the wind was moving them around alot even after I had tied the stem down.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25Xqczj]Elegant Pink Rose by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

Pete

I prefer the moon shot for bright, the DoF on the flowers doesn't do it for me. I really like your shot for elegant, the shadows in the shot are really good

Not sure about that, I think they look better when they are a little more closed or maybe it’s the type of rose the light also is a bit to harsh I feel

Bright
It's the moon shot for me. The moon in the top left corner and the cloud running from bottom left to top right, works pretty well.

Not sure about that, I think they look better when they are a little more closed or maybe it’s the type of rose the light also is a bit to harsh I feel

Hi Allen, I agree that some roses are more elegant than others, but that is what I had.

Pete

Pete

Your Bright Moon shot is a beaut ... very nicely framed with the cloud running diagonally. (y)

The moon shot for bright is a cracking shot. the crop works well with the clouds forming almost half of the frame diagonally. And the use of just blue and white is great.

The DoF in the rose is a bit shallow for me, and the bud below the main flower is a bit distracting.

Pete

Your Bright Moon shot is a beaut ... very nicely framed with the cloud running diagonally. (y)

The moon shot for bright is a cracking shot. the crop works well with the clouds forming almost half of the frame diagonally. And the use of just blue and white is great.

The DoF in the rose is a bit shallow for me, and the bud below the main flower is a bit distracting.

Thanks for the encouraging words re the Bright Image. The clouds where playing games with me that evening, but I got the better of them with that image.

I'm finding Elegant a bit hard to do justice to, I have an idea but currently not enought time to see if I can make it work this week, so I'm going to pass by this theme and come back to it in a couple of weeks.

Pete

I prefer the moon shot for bright, the DoF on the flowers doesn't do it for me. I really like your shot for elegant, the shadows in the shot are really good
Thank you Tilly, I'm not THAT happy with the Elegant Image so will try again in a while.
Thank you for the Bright comments, the flower shot is a bit Marmite, but I like it as its a bit abstract. The Moon Shot is a no Brainer I think.

Pete
Bright
It's the moon shot for me. The moon in the top left corner and the cloud running from bottom left to top right, works pretty well.

Thanks Dominic

Nice shot for derelict Pete. I prefer the colour version too for the same reasons as you

Like the colour version, you've handled the exposure well well keeping some detail in the shadows.

^^^^ and another. :)

And to Jump to this weeks Theme of Home

Dudley is by his front door after coming HOME from his walk.

Dudleys Home3 by Peter, on Flickr

Dudleys Home2 by Peter, on Flickr

Dudleys Home by Peter, on Flickr

Not sure which one to pick.
Will get back on looking and commenting on other photos over the last few weeks now.

Pete

Last edited:
Another catch-up from me, Pete, and you found an ideal subject for Derelict. I agree with you that the colour version works better than B&W as the colours helps the contrast between the greenery and the jagged man-made glass and frame.
For Elegant, the second one jumps out at me because of the bright sparkling colours, the light and the clear shadows on the wood.
For Home, I would pick #3 because you can see Dudley's eye really clearly, the lead isn't as prominent and the background not so distracting as in #2, and the letterbox sets the scene of him sitting by his front door at home. It works really well for me (y)

The shoes I think the first one is the better composition though the red shoes are more elegant
Dudley looks a lovely dog I would have to say the second or third pic are the better two I think Andrea above is correct about the letterbox so the third one for the theme for me

Back