weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

Bang on theme but I kind of agree with Dave the BG is a little busy

Mark of Respect - Like it!

Filthy, like the take on filthy, different.

Mark, bang on theme but as the others have said the background is distracting.

As you say, shame about the sky but it might of been better to go in close as my eyes are drawn to the cars a bit more.

Dave, I wanted the full memorial shown as it's a "Mark of Respect", rather than in your Lost theme, which I agree a close up would be more suited.

Thanks for your comments.

Bang on theme but I kind of agree with Dave the BG is a little busy

Thanks Allan, it was what it was.

Mark of Respect - Like it!

Thanks Dave

Two good takes on the themes, Pete, especially the very original idea for Filthy.

You've already mentioned the sky in Mark, and Dave and Allan have a point about the background, but the poppies stand out well and it's a good idea (y)

Thanks for your comments Andrea

Filthy, like the take on filthy, different.

Mark, bang on theme but as the others have said the background is distracting.

Thanks Roger

Filthy - nicely done, good idea for the theme.

The background is a bit busy for me in your mark photo

Lost
The white house in the background (not the one in DC) doesn't bother me too much, probably because the main subject is a little unusual. The idea of shooting through the figure is a good idea.

Lost
The white house in the background (not the one in DC) doesn't bother me too much, probably because the main subject is a little unusual. The idea of shooting through the figure is a good idea.

Thanks Dominic, The house was very over exposed due to the bright Sunlight, while the memorial was in shadow. Knowing I would not get the time again this week to shoot it.

Nice take on Lost Pete, maybe better if the hedge was just in the BG, still a nice shot though.

Hi Dave, to shoot though the outline so only the hedge was in the background then the memorial would have been off to one side and the outline would have been lost itself. That was the only angle I could get the memorial in the outline.

Pete

Lost - nice take! We have some of those here and we worried they;d get trashed being a bit fragile. No damage as yet!

Hi Pete,

Mark(ed) - I'm going to have to get my eyes tested I think, or is it a little soft?
Appreciate you can't move the cross, and wanted a head on shot, but did you consider moving a little to your right to try to get the cross into the gap between the two houses?

Lost - Another poignant shot. Agree that shooting through the outline was the way to go :) The white of the house behind isn't an issue as it contrasts nicely with the darker colour of the monument. the diagonal contrast between the light and shadow also seems to add some impact to the image.

I understand that it was the only angle where you could get the memorial through the outline and the idea is good, I wonder if a shallower depth of field might have helped to separate the the outline from the background?

The house is quite blown out so it kind of distracts and maybe the whole of the outlined figure would be good but its difficult as we don't know the situation.

For This week Monstrous I give you

Monstrous Tree by Peter, on Flickr

Taken today while it was raining.
We don't have any monstrous carbunkles round here so with a bit of grey sky thinking this is what you get.

Pete

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

Mark(ed) - I'm going to have to get my eyes tested I think, or is it a little soft?
Appreciate you can't move the cross, and wanted a head on shot, but did you consider moving a little to your right to try to get the cross into the gap between the two houses?

Lost - Another poignant shot. Agree that shooting through the outline was the way to go :) The white of the house behind isn't an issue as it contrasts nicely with the darker colour of the monument. the diagonal contrast between the light and shadow also seems to add some impact to the image.

Hi Tim

I went straight on with Mark as I wanted to show all the wreaths around the bottom.It's not the sharpest pic out of the box, but looks ok to me.

Lost, Thanks for the comments.It was hard to get everything to line up and the sun was out full bore at the time.

I understand that it was the only angle where you could get the memorial through the outline and the idea is good, I wonder if a shallower depth of field might have helped to separate the the outline from the background?
Hi Chris, it may have worked if I had my DSLR with me, I'm limited to lunch time shots now with the evenings being dark and I don't want to leave that in my car in the carpark while at work. The lens on the G11 ionly goes up to F2.8 if that end is up and with such a small sensor.

The house is quite blown out so it kind of distracts and maybe the whole of the outlined figure would be good but its difficult as we don't know the situation.
Hi Allan

The house was well overexposed due to the Sun being at full bore at that time. Doing an evening shot would have been in the dark and the outline even more difficult to see.

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment.
Pete

It's a good angle on the tree, really emphasises the size of it. I think it might loose some of its menace if you lifted the shadows.

Monstrous tree is a cool shot and good angle.

Thanks Dave.

Agreed, very interesting and menacing.
Nice, sharp detail front to back.

Like it.(y)

Thanks Garath

I think it needs the shadows lifted a bit, nice idea though

Thanks Allan, I did alter the shadows but it lost the Impact of the size.

It's a good angle on the tree, really emphasises the size of it. I think it might loose some of its menace if you lifted the shadows.

Thanks Chris, I agree.

Pete

Chuckle at grey sky thinking - I think I might have to use that at work in some meeting that drones on about s***e ;)
Good use of the angle and perspective. As Allan says, maybe a tweak to the shadows to bring out more detail?

Monstrous
The mighty Oak certainly is monstrous. Its a good pov you've got there. I think the shadow detail is fine, a levels adjustment may give a bit more impact.

Chuckle at grey sky thinking - I think I might have to use that at work in some meeting that drones on about s***e ;)

Bet it will go straight over theirs heads, not in the corporate dictionary.

Good use of the angle and perspective. As Allan says, maybe a tweak to the shadows to bring out more detail?

Monstrous
The mighty Oak certainly is monstrous. Its a good pov you've got there. I think the shadow detail is fine, a levels adjustment may give a bit more impact.

I find it looks different on my laptop and desktop screens, who knows which one is correct.
On my Desktop, I do calibrate it every so often and adjust the brightness using a greyscale bar. I don't bother with the laptop as the brightness controls are not that good.

Thanks for your comments allways appreciated

I have got a bit behind but I have a few ideas for balance and crushed which will be forth comming this week.

Pete

Might be noisy but it is a great shot, what a little character the dog is.

Balance: completely adorable!! I can forgive the noise also, he's such an excellent model, and perfect for the theme!

Crushed: I like the textures, and the blue plastic adds a nice splash of colour. Nicely on theme.

(y)
Thank you Gareth.

Hi Pete,

Balance - Very cute. Nicely caught and I quite like the not quite central composition.
Is it perhaps a little on the warm side? (Or was the lighting warm anyway).

Crushed - A breakers was one of my thoughts for the theme, but most have closed down round here and those left don't actually crush the cars :/
Crushed concrete fits the theme, but dunno, a bit lacking in inspiration? No real focal point except the turquoise plastic?

Back