SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

Just got in absolutely sopping wet..... No I refuse to post a photo! Lol

No photo taken as the light just didn’t happen bit more storms expected tomorrow so perhaps I’ll fall lucky enough to suffer another drenching. Pmsl

Time to air the kit out which will give me a practice run for tomorrow probably!!

H'mm not very good advert for sunny South of France ;)

Like it is atm.....

Laid at the side of the river which is gently flowing down into the gorges towards Italy .

Tried to get a photo resembling this but although a beautiful sunny day, the wind made the LF shot impossible [emoji20]

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

Seems like I’ll have to return another day unless the wind drops whilst I snooze.....

Like it is atm.....

Laid at the side of the river which is gently flowing down into the gorges towards Italy .

Tried to get a photo resembling this but although a beautiful sunny day, the wind made the LF shot impossible [emoji20]

View attachment 293618

View attachment 293619

Seems like I’ll have to return another day unless the wind drops whilst I snooze.....
I wouldn't snooze too long, judging by that shadow Bart Simpson is trying to sneak up on you! :giggle:

Out with the intrepid 5x7 atm and just exposed two frames of an old abandoned ‘snack bar’. It is actually part of the abandoned hotel , Hotel de France’ situated on the opposite side of the road here in the village.
Why two sheets?
Well not because it’s an inportant shot and I may never get chance to return , but because I’ve exposed each sheet on the shadows for different duration, one as I typically would and the other considerably longer
The plan is to reduce the development time ( in this case by about 30% , ) with the longer exposed sheet and bring the highlights into zone 8 , the shadows being in zone 3.
Basically N-2

I’ve played around before with the zone system before without an awful lot of success so I thought I would try again and see what, if any improvements I can obtain with my negatives.

The zone system may not be for me ( although I have it kinda rattling around my head all the time when metering) .
No big deal if not, as I generally manage to obtain acceptable résultats (to me ) from my present method anyway.

No harm in a little expérimentâtion though ;)

IMG_1316.JPG

Interested to hear how you get on @Asha, I sometimes wonder about trying the zone system but have never got around to it

Out with the intrepid 5x7 atm and just exposed two frames of an old abandoned ‘snack bar’. It is actually part of the abandoned hotel , Hotel de France’ situated on the opposite side of the road here in the village.
Why two sheets?
Well not because it’s an inportant shot and I may never get chance to return , but because I’ve exposed each sheet on the shadows for different duration, one as I typically would and the other considerably longer
The plan is to reduce the development time ( in this case by about 30% , ) with the longer exposed sheet and bring the highlights into zone 8 , the shadows being in zone 3.
Basically N-2

I’ve played around before with the zone system before without an awful lot of success so I thought I would try again and see what, if any improvements I can obtain with my negatives.

The zone system may not be for me ( although I have it kinda rattling around my head all the time when metering) .
No big deal if not, as I generally manage to obtain acceptable résultats (to me ) from my present method anyway.

No harm in a little expérimentâtion though ;)

View attachment 295268
I thought that was your kitchen until I read your description :LOL:

Results!

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

#1 is a typical average exposure with an attempt made to obtain detail in the shadows without blowing the highlights completely.
Developing was standard ‘Normal’ (N) duration.
With seven stops difference between highlights and deepest shadows, the shadows here were basically in zone 1-2 , the highlights being 8-9.

#2 , the shadows here were placed in zone 3 thus the highlights fell into zone 10 ( ie two zones ( stops) outside of the ‘acceptable five stop latitude for b&w negative film)
To pull back the overexposure of the highlights, the development time was adjusted to compensate two stops ( ie N -2) thus bringing the highlights back down to zone 8.

It is very much experimental.
A guideline is to reduce dev time by 15-20% for each stop.
I chose 15% so therefore reduced the total developnent time used for #1 by 30%.

Looking at the results , 30% appears to have not been sufficient as #2 is a tad overexposed so next time I will try 20% reduction for each stop/zone.

Nonetheless it can be seen that the zone system offers benefits. The shadows in #2 are not blocked and the highlights still hold detail.

I think it may be easier ( for some) to assess the positives rather than the negs so once dry, I’ll scan and post in here.

Last edited:
Sat next to the river feeling somewhat fed up and irritated with myself having come out specifically to try out a new toy , well two actually . Set up the 10x8 , all ready to insert a film holder when it dawned on me that one new toy and the primary reason for my late afternoon outing is sat on the table at home!!
I’m just glad I didn’t walk further than the village, like up a mountainside!

Anyway heres a pic all set up....., for nothing! Damn!!

Oh well, hipefully tomorrow will prove more fruitful.

IMG_1459.JPG

A challenging day with everything against LF togging.
Wind, haze, crap light atm and to top it all , now that I’m miles from home and a steep descent to the village, it’s attempting to rain.....

I got one of the 4x10 ‘test’ exposures done looking down on the village. Here’s hoping I can obtain the second before weather stops play altogether and return home with a 10x8 sheet to develop .

Onward and forward.....

IMG_1467.JPG

Last edited:
Grabbed very quickly another rooftop shot Fulton lower down as the light rain is défi not going to get lighter.

As far as LF outings go this one has been far from the best but at least I’ve hotly two 4x10 exposures si tested the darkslides and the 429mm lens .... one shot with filters , the second purposely eithout to see how much contrast the glass offers without.

Time to head home .....

DC445673-1BC5-4088-BC43-42AE02B3FCA4.jpeg

I am absolutely over the moon :):):):):)

D38E18DD-B84C-4027-91C8-1AF1C56EF5E8.jpeg

It looks like I’ve mal focused one exposure but tbh I’m not bothered about any technical errors on this occasion, I’m simply delighted that I have a pano camera that will offer large quality negs.

What a wonderful end to the day,.

Did I mention how happy I am??!:):) lol

So presumably that idea (two 4x10s from a 8x10 sheet) could be applied in 4x5. Definitely sending this in @stevelmx5 's general direction (although someone will no doubt tell me such dark slides are available... at silly money presumably!)...

So presumably that idea (two 4x10s from a 8x10 sheet) could be applied in 4x5. Definitely sending this in @stevelmx5 's general direction (although someone will no doubt tell me such dark slides are available... at silly money presumably!)...
Yep basically any LF format where the darkslide can be cut down.

I’ve never seen any factory produced slides available, in fact only once have I seen someone selling a modified 10x8 slide.

EDIT
To add that the darkslide ( minus filmholder) cost iirc about £40 then the lazer cutting was another £25 so £75 in total.

EDIT EDIT:
The likelihood is that the cost of cutting will be same for smaller sides going on the fact that machine set up time etc will be pretty much the same.
Obviously the cost of the actual darkslide would, in theory , be cheaper.

Last edited:

I’ve never seen any factory produced slides available, in fact only once have I seen someone selling a modified 10x8 slide.

EDIT
To add that the darkslide ( minus filmholder) cost iirc about £40 then the lazer cutting was another £25 so £75 in total.

EDIT EDIT:
The likelihood is that the cost of cutting will be same for smaller sides going on the fact that machine set up time etc will be pretty much the same.
Obviously the cost of the actual darkslide would, in theory , be cheaper.

Reporting for duty ;)

Manufacturing a half-size dark slide should be pretty straightforward, if it's something that would be useful. I'd use the same 2mm acrylic I use for my wet plate holders.

Reporting for duty ;)

Manufacturing a half-size dark slide should be pretty straightforward, if it's something that would be useful. I'd use the same 2mm acrylic I use for my wet plate holders.

Well, a half size 5x7 darkslide coupled with the chroma 5x7 (other 5x7 cameras are available) gives a 6x17 negative. Some people pay a fortune for 6x17 cameras.

Clearly my abacus isn't to hand! :banghead::LOL:

I presume the extra £10 represents postage two ways?

Don't correct me, I'm saving your reputation and indicating that you do count....

I am absolutely over the moon :):):):):)

View attachment 296658

It looks like I’ve mal focused one exposure but tbh I’m not bothered about any technical errors on this occasion, I’m simply delighted that I have a pano camera that will offer large quality negs.

What a wonderful end to the day,.

Did I mention how happy I am??!:):) lol

Scans:

I didn't mal focus , it is camera shake .....No surprise given the wind.

1.Pano Test 2 TP.jpg

2.Pano Test 1 TP.jpg

The above are low res scans.

I've just rescanned #1 at a higher res and taken a tiny section of it at 100% to show the detail......A drum scan and it might be possible to read the labels on those wine? bottles. :jawdrop:

#1 is the exposure that was taken with no filters and the contrast is fine.(y)

A rather nice piece of glass that 420mm :), I reckon it's going to see quite a lot of use;)

For anyone who doesn't understand my reasons for lugging LF kit around , this is a fine example as to why.........The large negs offer the IQ necessary to get GOOD large prints.
It's as simple as that!

100% crop.jpg

Heading out with a rather large and very full kit bag.m weighing with tripod, 14kg
10x8 intrepid . 5x7 reducing back. 420mm lens. One 10x8 holder , two 13x18 holders and of course the 4x10 darkslide so three formats to go at.
How far I’ll get depends on how long the legs and back hold out lol
IMG_1478.JPG

14KG? :LOL: Get yourself one of these instead! (y)

Had one but often struggled for a good quality A3 print!

It’s only 14kg cos I av the other back and holders otherwise it would be a good couple of kg lighter.

Anyway over two hours of climbing has got me here overlooking the mountains that shadow the area where I live.

Viewed on the groundglass, the filters appear to cut through the haze reasonably well. Here’s hoping so that I get a decent resulting 4x10 negative.

C566B08B-D5C6-4586-8FCC-8B44B208DCA0.jpeg

So presumably you load the film with a standard dark slide, then in the camera withdraw that and replace with the half size slide, shoot, replace with standard slide, store film holder, find another location, rinse and repeat 'tother way up?

Back