SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

Got out at long last this pm

intrepid 57 withrecently acquired 210mm

Nice location but don’t getexcited over a decent result as I was not on form with LF today!

I have an exposed sheet of Foma so who knows the result may please me more than Ithink it will.

69981376-7BFA-43B1-89A8-094873A4822F.jpeg

Last edited:
So outside didn’t happen.

Technically I am trespassing ( not that I’m doing harm to anything or anyone) and literally only a hundred yards or so from the gendarmerie!!

Atm I’m tucked away sat here:

View attachment 281562

It’s 17:39 local time and i will be going nowhere until 18.45 as I came out with the last sheet of film I have loaded in a film holder.
Of course it has to be fomapan 100.
I quite like the film and the reciprocal issue generally don’t bother me however the image that I ended up choosing to shoot is in a dim location and the necessary exposure is 4 mins..... that’s before recip compensation.
Calculated by my own makeshift methods, I have an exposure duration of EIGHTY ONE MINUTES!!!.

It’s the longest exposure I have ever attempted and one that for sure was not planned.
It will be an absolute miracle of the negative is even worthwhile as focusing on the groundglass was like trying to obtain sharp focus of my black cat in an unlit cellar!!

So who’s bored and wants to keep me amused for an hour ?

View attachment 281563

At the time of developing the 10x8 negative from this very long exposure of over an hour back in June last year, I wasn't convinced that i would obtain a pleasing ( to me ) positive print from it but having returned to processing it today and printing out a small inkjet proof print prior to dust spotting, it may not be so bad.

TP.jpg

I like that!

Cheers Simon (y)

Even with a field camera, the verticals/ horizontals were never all going to come together simply due to the amount geometry in the scene and the limitations that the movements can offer but for the best part they are good.

I think initially it was those "out of square" lines that made me dismiss the negative but now I reckon i can accept them.

Time to clean it up and print A3

Anyone notice that someones necklace has been left/ lost on the third step above the 'sortie' sign?

Anyone notice that someones necklace has been left/ lost on the third step above the 'sortie' sign?
I missed that. It's a really interesting image with lots of textures. Your hour, plus all the other time spent on it has not been wasted.

Got results , one neg looks fine but thé other one has a serious problem.
Anyone care to offer the potential cause of
I feel sure it’s development / chemical related.
Perhaps contamination of some sort.
Both sheets devd in same tank at the same time in a 20th Century Camera spiral.

View attachment 298991View attachment 298992View attachment 298993

Seems that this outing came to nothing productive but I think that it's by sharing duds s well as good results helps us possibly to learn from each other but also shows that the frustrations of failures comes to us all.

One neg was stuffed ( still unsure what happened, still to reload and check the filmholder), the other sheet in the same holder seems to be affected too ( the light entry wasn't so apparent on the neg when I initially viewed it)

tp.jpg

Either that, or someone realised that they no longer needed to take their own sink plug and chain for the bathroom when staying in a French hotel?

;)

Last edited:
Either that, or someone realised that they no longer needed to take their own sink plug and chain for the bathroom when staying in a French hotel?

;)
Well it was a 'hotel' of sorts.....It used to be an OAP residential home.

Noticed that since my 'removal' from there by the gendarmes, there are now private property, no entry signs splattered everywhere.:rolleyes:.......Since when i have taken notice of rules:naughty:

No worries I have three decent prints out of that location inc the one that the authorities thought they had refrained me from obtaining ( I fired the shutter as they arrived;))

Well it was a 'hotel' of sorts.....It used to be an OAP residential home.

Noticed that since my 'removal' from there by the gendarmes, there are now private property, no entry signs splattered everywhere.:rolleyes:.......Since when i have taken notice of rules:naughty:

No worries I have three decent prints out of that location inc the one that the authorities thought they had refrained me from obtaining ( I fired the shutter as they arrived;))

Blimey... a seemingly casual disregard for law and authority, and not spotting and grabbing that sink plug and chain when you had the chance (just in case). I'm beginning to think you're going native on us! :eek:

;)

Last edited:

;)

Coo, I must go to France sometime then for the bath plug. Do french hotels have bedroom curtains? I ask since we once went to a Travelodge in the UK with no bath plug and curtains...

Coo, I must go to France sometime then for the bath plug. Do french hotels have bedroom curtains? I ask since we once went to a Travelodge in the UK with no bath plug and curtains...
Serves you right for not stumping up the extra cash and staying at a Premier Inn instead! ;)

Serves you right for not stumping up the extra cash and staying at a Premier Inn instead! ;)

I can't afford to. I'm long term unemployed. I don't think I'll ever work again. I'm on the scrapheap and I'm only 72 (goes away in tears...).

And in fairness to Travelodge, it was an oversight as they were doing some renovations, and the place was very full at the time. They turned out immediately (it was late at night when we arrived), apologised profusely and fixed everything quickly.

Got out at long last this pm

intrepid 57 withrecently acquired 210mm

Nice location but don’t getexcited over a decent result as I was not on form with LF today!

I have an exposed sheet of Foma so who knows the result may please me more than Ithink it will.

View attachment 310258

Better than expected even if atm I’m not convinced on the focusing.

Similar thoughts on focus of the other negative from yesterday which is still washing itself

At least the lens appears to work ok [emoji106]

75A7CF19-C818-4269-8CF9-EBA9DB712E20.jpeg

Last edited:
Had this camera about a week but due to weather ( wind!) , been unable to try it out.

Todayagain the wind is against me so resorted to an indoor ´creative’ image.

10x8 negative washing atm exposed through this Canham 10x8 which I am very fortunate to have in my possession for a period of time.

Basically it’s big brother of the wooden 5x7 Canham that I quite recently purchased for myself.

900mm ( 36 inches) of bellows is what makes it an interesting beast in anything more than a slight breeze.

With a bit of luck the coming days will seecalmer conditions outside and allow an exposure in daylight.

336A2C8B-426F-44E8-BE11-905A7C7F458F.jpeg

Looks like you'll go fern (German pun) :) with that.

@Asha what a beast! At least you won't need to enlarge the negative.

ihave to admit to being greedy.
10x8 is a decent print size but other than for portraits, the format doesn’t satisfy my needs.
A3 / 12x16 and upwards is the way to go although I have yet to go upwards.

i do however have some LARGE paper to play with in the darkroom:naughty:

It's better to assess the overall effect when looking at the final print. A conventional print changes in appearance when it's dried down, and no print illuminated by reflected light will be exactly like a back lit screen.

On the first, if I were printing it, there are a couple of areas where I'd either burn or dodge. On the second, I'd look carefully at the highlights in terms of exposure in the print.

It's better to assess the overall effect when looking at the final print. A conventional print changes in appearance when it's dried down, and no print illuminated by reflected light will be exactly like a back lit screen.

On the first, if I were printing it, there are a couple of areas where I'd either burn or dodge. On the second, I'd look carefully at the highlights in terms of exposure in the print.

Yes i think I'm seeing along similar lines .....Bottom right pebbles to dodge in the first and the top of the waterfall highlights to consider in the second ;)

Had this camera about a week but due to weather ( wind!) , been unable to try it out.

Todayagain the wind is against me so resorted to an indoor ´creative’ image.

10x8 negative washing atm exposed through this Canham 10x8 which I am very fortunate to have in my possession for a period of time.

Basically it’s big brother of the wooden 5x7 Canham that I quite recently purchased for myself.

900mm ( 36 inches) of bellows is what makes it an interesting beast in anything more than a slight breeze.

With a bit of luck the coming days will seecalmer conditions outside and allow an exposure in daylight.

View attachment 310715

All I had to do was focus on the tiniest bit of the scene and i couldn't even nail that 100% :banghead:

It's close mindst;)

A fraction overexposed but i got the bellows extension compensation ( of 4.5 stops) close enough though

Plant 10x8 Sospel 2021 TP.jpg

Out with BigWuddy 10x8 Canham

Hopefully I will have all three windows in focus .... the rest will fall where it falls.

Now to pack and make a move to get home before o get told off ( curfew in an hours time!!)

IMG_2404.JPG

More 10x8 but with lighter kit.

Composure realistically needed the Canham 10x8 for rear swing and longer bellows but I’ve done best possible with the kit to hand ..... intrepid 10x8
View attachment 310926
The cutting ´teeth’ are sharp where I wanted them to be so another reasonable negative by the looks of it.:)

Some print making this weekend perhaps ;)

F50B4D1F-B008-4BE3-BD98-BA91BCBC1C67.jpeg

5x4 today with the Walker Titan.

The village this weekend is swarming with gendarmes keeping tabs on the population re wearing of masks blah blah blah.

I’ve never seen so many gendarmes out in the village.
I’ve got myself tucked away in a little corner and might have a photo worth keeping from this scene.
Ive embraced the manhole covers, drain covers and composed for the two passages heading off at angles to each other.
It might work it might not..... all part of the fun.
Already heading towards 4.30 so with a good half hour walk home and still to pack kit away, I guess having to be home like a good little boy by 6pm means no more exposures today.

Now then , can I get through the village without being stopped , controlled and generally peeved off by the SS!:cautious:

752F1B54-41F7-4860-950B-40E58A3AC830.jpeg
060D54A5-D388-4E7B-8CC1-B19A3DAEEC06.jpeg

Last edited:
Could well be ..... this is a village out in the country!! ...... you city dwellers :rolleyes: :exit: :LOL::LOL:

Is that a pile of horse droppings at the bottom of the steps?

I think you'll find that it's the rhubarb patch in the courtyard garden.

More 10x8 but with lighter kit.

Composure realistically needed the Canham 10x8 for rear swing and longer bellows but I’ve done best possible with the kit to hand ..... intrepid 10x8
View attachment 310926

File ready to print.

I'm undecided wether to flip the image horizontally as the flipped option ( #2) has more appeal I think.

As we naturally read from left to right ( or at most of us do), having the teeth to the left and 'reading' the image through to the blurry mechanical bits may be more pleasing.

Which do you guys prefer?

1# TP.jpg

2# TP2.jpg

Back