SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

Number 1. The brighter wheel catches my eye in both, but in number 2 I "read" to the right edge, get drawn back to the left and am left at the beginning of the line. The first I end on the natural end of the line.

BTW, I'm learning Biblical Hebrew, so I'm used to reading both ways.

So I'm outvoted :(

@Asha I think #2 is the stronger, by some margin.
Isn’t it strange how much difference it can sometimes make to an image by flipping left to right?
If a landscape or even a building, î’m reluctant to make the change in a print from what is real life.
A subject such as this however is somehow less ´important’ ( for want of a better word / explanation.)

I’ll sleep on it and see if others come back with a preference.

Compromise. Print it on a transparency sheet, and mount it in a rotating frame.

5x4 today with the Walker Titan.

The village this weekend is swarming with gendarmes keeping tabs on the population re wearing of masks blah blah blah.

I’ve never seen so many gendarmes out in the village.
I’ve got myself tucked away in a little corner and might have a photo worth keeping from this scene.
Ive embraced the manhole covers, drain covers and composed for the two passages heading off at angles to each other.
It might work it might not..... all part of the fun.
Already heading towards 4.30 so with a good half hour walk home and still to pack kit away, I guess having to be home like a good little boy by 6pm means no more exposures today.

Now then , can I get through the village without being stopped , controlled and generally peeved off by the SS!:cautious:

View attachment 311248
View attachment 311247

A quick scan and i get this:

The idea has potential but think that I can improve on this attempt.

TP.jpg

View attachment 311498

It's a picture that I think would really benefit from a person (or perhaps a dog or something) in the shot. Either in the doorway or the slope on the left. It's a vey interesting location though, and one that I think could probably be re-worked under a variety of conditions.

View attachment 311498

Went back to the same location for a retake.

Thanks for your ideas re a person/ dog etc but it didn't happen ( non available! lol)

A much lower perspective ( knee level) which although posed difficult working conditions, was worth it imo.

Small file.jpg

Tbh I'm rather pleased with what I achieved on my knees lol

Even more so as the image demanded rear tilt to correct verticals ( I had no option but to tilt the camera downwards) , along with a tiny bit of swing to bring the grids into focus.

As you ( presumably) know being a LF tog, focus for one movement, throws out the focus on the other so can take a bit of fiddling to get right.

It's all come together quite nicely though so, for me, it was worth the effort.

Tbh I'm rather pleased with what I achieved on my knees lol

[SNIP]

As you ( presumably) know being a LF tog, focus for one movement, throws out the focus on the other so can take a bit of fiddling to get right.

It's the fiddling that's the fun but!

Cracking picture Asha - I've fallen behind eye this thread so I didn't see the prequel, but where it's come to is a cracking printer!

Back with 10x8 today with BigWuddy ( my smaller Canham 5x7 is named Wuddy ;) )

Due to lack of time I wasn’t able to post the events as they happened but did grab the necessary snapshots.

Like the last composure ( 5x4) of the alleys , this one meant a crouched ( not kneeled) positionwith camera set low in order to hide urban sprawl behind the cathedral.

Anyone would believe that I enjoyed challenging photographs!

A section of the negative is blank simply due to lack of lens coverage (300mm apo), however it’s no problem as the important content is where it needs to be and looks to be sharp.

The negative is very contrasty and overexposed but given that I made a metering error and had to compensate two stops in development, it’s not looking too bad.

Here’s hoping it will scan ok.

9AAF46D1-2C34-4FFF-8FA1-896D26A4D633.jpeg

63078CC7-0E29-4275-B822-291132A021D7.jpeg

That is an interesting scene. I look forward to seeing the print.
I think it might take some curve adjustments :wideyed:

i can always return if this neg won’t offer a decent scan/ print but for the moment I remain optimistic, bedsides, I can do without another hunched back focusing session:oops: :$

Looking good! Interested to hear details of iso and development Asha?
The paper
originated from some 10x8 Jessops RC VC Lustre dating back to about the 1700’s.
:LOL:

Rated it at iso 6 *metered an average reading for the scene at F/16, then calculated an additional 7 stops into the time giving me a minute of exposure.

Souped in multigrade 1:9 , stop fix wash .... they’ll dry quick so if this film turns out to be boring like most TV, I might slip em into the enlarger and have a play for a laugh.

** Be aware that our climate here tends to offer more UV than what you get up there in the frozen, grey North lol, so like sunny f/16 is generally seen as sunny F/11 in the UK, iso 3 for paper negs would likely be the norm.

So a couple of ´perfectly’ exposed contrasty RC paper negatives

View attachment 313734

quick scans

Not bad for paper negs.

Camera works fine, not that I had doubts and my exposure calculations/ metering are pretty good too.

first one has some movement blur...no surprise as there was a breeze and with a one minute exposure.......

Sans titre-2.jpg

Sans titre-1.jpg

Lugged 14kg ! of gear up a hill, yes I weighed it because the bag felt very heavy. Since it came up recently in another thread I decided to give the 6x9 back an outing which if I ever had to stop a charging rhino would be my weapon of choice but otherwise is a pain in the neck to carry (0.75kg on its own) and use, the negs are drying but it looks like 4 of 8 frames might be at least reasonably exposed. Anyway having got the excuses in early...

20210405_112918.jpg

y heavy. Since it came up recently in another thread I decided to give the 6x9 back an outing which if I ever had to stop a charging rhino would be my weapon of choice but otherwise is a pain in the neck to carry (0.75kg on its own) and use,

but they are the best thing since sliced bread:exit::LOL::LOL:

I awoke to a bright if chilly morning and thought "it looks lovely, I should get out with the large format" and now that we are allowed to travel for exercise Hodge Close quarry came to mind so I started getting the gear together. It being bright it occurred to me that it might be a chance to have another go with the pinhole and then whilst loading up some darkslides I thought that I could also take the much hated 6x9 back as well. So out of pure obtuseness (or may be a minor lockdown mental health crisis :) ) I sallied forth with a large format camera, a pinhole shutter and a 6x9 back and of course it was a bright day so I added to that mix the bottom of a dark slate quarry. I suppose, as Kennedy said, "we do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard"

Anyway the negs are drying, the wonderful Stearman tank chose to trash one of the 4x5 frames but some of the others are at least reasonably exposed

20210410_134428.jpg

20210410_133320.jpg

I awoke to a bright if chilly morning and thought "it looks lovely, I should get out with the large format" and now that we are allowed to travel for exercise Hodge Close quarry came to mind so I started getting the gear together. It being bright it occurred to me that it might be a chance to have another go with the pinhole and then whilst loading up some darkslides I thought that I could also take the much hated 6x9 back as well. So out of pure obtuseness (or may be a minor lockdown mental health crisis :) ) I sallied forth with a large format camera, a pinhole shutter and a 6x9 back and of course it was a bright day so I added to that mix the bottom of a dark slate quarry. I suppose, as Kennedy said, "we do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard"

Anyway the negs are drying, the wonderful Stearman tank chose to trash one of the 4x5 frames but some of the others are at least reasonably exposed

View attachment 315181

View attachment 315182

6x9 back again?!!!!!....... you need help! :exit: :ROFLMAO:

e wonderful Stearman tank chose to trash one of the 4x5 frames
:confused: I’ve read a few negative feedbacks about those processors..........some positive ones too.

ive tried mod54, Paterson orbital and jobo.

always find myself prefering the orbital.
easiest to load and generally poses no development problems.
of course they are no longer manufactured!

:confused: I’ve read a few negative feedbacks about those processors..........some positive ones too.

ive tried mod54, Paterson orbital and jobo.

always find myself prefering the orbital.
easiest to load and generally poses no development problems.
of course they are no longer manufactured!
It's usually OK but it doesn't seem to like Fomapan which sometimes gets stuck to one of the ribs on the film holder and then the anti halation layer doesn't get washed off which I wouldn't expect to be a problem but somehow after exposure to the chemicals it leaves an indelible mark right in the middle of the frame. The 3 other sheets came out fine.

It's usually OK but it doesn't seem to like Fomapan which sometimes gets stuck to one of the ribs on the film holder and then the anti halation layer doesn't get washed off which I wouldn't expect to be a problem but somehow after exposure to the chemicals it leaves an indelible mark right in the middle of the frame. The 3 other sheets came out fine.
If you are left with antihalation .... green stains usually wash away with water, pink is more stubborn ..... after fixing , a quick rinse in water then résoup the neg in a solution of developer ( strength not critical) .
The alkaline solution removes the stains ( it may take several minutes to clear completely)
Afterwards simply wash as you would do normally.

If you are left with antihalation .... green stains usually wash away with water, pink is more stubborn ..... after fixing , a quick rinse in water then résoup the neg in a solution of developer ( strength not critical) .
The alkaline solution removes the stains ( it may take several minutes to clear completely)

Forgot to mention, seeing as the neg is fixed, the additional stage in developer can be done in daylight in a tray ;)

Thanks, I did wash it more and the green went but the pink remained, I'll try it in some dev.

Here's the first few 4x5 Fomapan 400. The first is with an actual lens, maximum front tilt to get it all in focus but its a bit of a shame that some of the shadows are blocked. The second is a pinhole shot with a ghost who walked in and stood there during the 1 min 40 exposure

HodgeCloseQuarry by Chris H, on Flickr

DSC06065.jpg

Last edited:
i'm really liking that first shot Chris, and I dont think the blocked shadows deract too much at all, the reflection is excellent.

The "ghost" in the pinhole is a little distracting but still an interesting shot.

Back