Shiny's 2023 52 Thread

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Off we go again.

My Area

Since the weather is only going to get worse tonight and tomorrow, there is no chance of me getting out to take any photographs, so instead here is My Area. I probably spend six or seven hours a day in this little room, it's like a little home within a home. I write books, songs, play guitar, sax, mandolin, dulcimer plus there is a cajon on the floor. I record songs here too using the instruments you see. Unseen, the camera is on it, is a piano -- which I play badly -- and on the adjacent wall, is my mandolin.

Yes, it is rather cluttered. I tidy it occasionally; you can see I haven't done that recently.

My Area by Martin H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice set up. I see a Taylor guitar I think. You should have a Martin, Martin :)

Nice set up. I see a Taylor guitar I think. You should have a Martin, Martin :)

It is indeed a Taylor, the other two are Yamahas. The dulcimer is, er, some make or other.

Last edited:
Nice to see an insight there. Is this paid work? Or purely for pleasure?

I have a huge appreciation for music but cannot play a thing! So plenty of respect for you on that count

Nice to see an insight there. Is this paid work? Or purely for pleasure?

I have a huge appreciation for music but cannot play a thing! So plenty of respect for you on that count

No, I just amuse myself, my son is the performer, I don't have the nerve. I even forget the words to my own songs when under the pressure of an audience, I did an open mic night once, it was a car crash. Might do another one day, and then again, probably not :)

No, I just amuse myself, my son is the performer, I don't have the nerve. I even forget the words to my own songs when under the pressure of an audience, I did an open mic night once, it was a car crash. Might do another one day, and then again, probably not :)

Shame. Seems you have the enthusiasm, and presumably the talent.. but missing confidence? I dunno,!?! Maybe there's room for you to do backing for your son in a small way? Feel free to not answer.. maybe just consider it? :)

Shame. Seems you have the enthusiasm, and presumably the talent.. but missing confidence? I dunno,!?! Maybe there's room for you to do backing for your son in a small way? Feel free to not answer.. maybe just consider it? :)
He's already asked but I live in Cornwall and he lives in Kent so not too convenient.

Wow, that's a man cave and a half Martin! Fabulous. Love the guitars. I have a couple (acoustic & electric), but sadly arthritic fingers have rather knocked that on the head for me for a few years now

Wow, that's a man cave and a half Martin! Fabulous. Love the guitars. I have a couple (acoustic & electric), but sadly arthritic fingers have rather knocked that on the head for me for a few years now
I too have arthritis in my hands, if I twist my fingers or bash my knuckles the pain is quite exquisite. Fortunately, if I can keep every finger straight or bending normally I can still play guitar but some chords are, and will always be, beyond me due to lack of mobility.

Looks like a creative place to be Martin (I had to look up what a cajon was though :D)

That's a proper man cave. It's been interesting to see how many have posted images of their "workspace" and the variety of interests incorporated.

That's a proper man cave. It's been interesting to see how many have posted images of their "workspace" and the variety of interests incorporated.
It just means that too many of us spend too much time in tiny rooms :D

I bet you know where everything is in it
I do indeed. Even to the two recorders that are in the picture -- although I'll bet you can't find them as they are in their cases on the shelf at top right. Oh, and the set of bongos that are in a bag underneath the acoustic guitar.

Not so much a photograph as a cry of despair. As it says at the bottom (not part of the song), I really don't know where to go with this now -- so I probably won't. This happens to a lot of my songs.

It's an example of Moiré though towards the top right

Incomplete by Martin H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Martin, as a 'photograph' it may not be up to much on first look, but as one reads the words the emotional journey a performer must go on as they 'take the stage' really does come through.

I think that's a really strong submission this week, kudos for sharing.

Last edited:
Wow, I got stressed out just reading it. I hope you don't always feel that way Martin. Good submission.

A different and good take on the theme Martin :)

Your area - looks a nice cosy place to be surrounded by your creature comforts. I know web browsers can have many pages open simultaneously but I've never seen the benefit of more than a couple, yours has a good few across the top!
Incomplete - I could feel your concerns through the words, certainly an interesting take on the theme. I'm sure I remember writing some angst ridden stuff in my teenage years along with concrete poetry. One line I remember from a trip to the dentist which was shaped like an injection ended.

Like an oxyacetylene torch about to rob my mouth of teeth.
Zzz
Zzzz

:

Artificial. Not real milk, not real Guiness, but TBH they aren't too bad. The Alpro doesn't taste anything like milk but the Guinness tastes exactly like alcoholic Guinness.

Artificial 1 by Martin H, on Flickr

Definitely fits the brief. The Guinness in particular looks very unnatural :)

Fits the brief and I like the lighting - the heavy shadow adds to the shot.

Good idea for the theme! Never trried either. Normal guiness doesn't taste of much anyway compared to the craft beer I like lol.

Good idea and good composition. Guiness tastes better in Ireland (no joke).

Definitely fits the brief. The Guinness in particular looks very unnatural :)
Real stuff though
A nice take on the theme
Thank you
Fits the brief and I like the lighting - the heavy shadow adds to the shot.
It's difficult to make milk and guiness look interesting
Good idea for the theme! Never trried either. Normal guiness doesn't taste of much anyway compared to the craft beer I like lol.
I do like the 0.0 Guinness, and actually, the soya milk isn't too bad either.
Good idea and good composition. Guiness tastes better in Ireland (no joke).
Guinness really does taste better in Ireland although this stuff is a good substitute, if you are after a non-alcohol version. I can no longer drink 'full-fat' Guinness or indeed anything with alcohol in because of a recent scare involving my liver. It's all cleared up now but prevention is better etc.

We were going to go to Ireland on a motorcycling holiday but what's the point of going to Ireland if you can't drink Guinness? (apart from the scenery, the people, the history, the clean air and the fact that it's not in over-crowded England).

Last edited:
Area now that's what I want my spare bedroom to look like in a few weeks, not so many musical instruments but more model planes and tube amplifiers!
Incomplete, like the idea and well shot.
Artificial fits the theme spot on and I am with you on the Guinness only tastes right in Ireland. Done Ireland lots of time always tried to make it to Joey Dunlop's pub:)

Nice light on the Guinness can, they've got a sort of matt feel I seem to recall. I think that could make a shot just on it's own, or poured, or pouring??

Might have that as an idea myself if you don't. :thinking:

Transparent -- can't get more transparent than a fish tank.

Was going to try to get a better version than this but time has marched on, the cloudiness is because they have just been fed and they tend to raise up all sorts of sand and detritus from the bottom, and the fish food breaks up too.. It's a picture of my fish tank and the fish in the middle is a clown loach. The tank is six feet long and nearly 700 litres. To give scale to the fish, the underground drainage tube it is nosing is 110mm in diameter and he (and a couple of similarly sized others) just about fit in -- they do like small spaces to hide in. I have seven clown loaches in all as they like to be in groups of five. Also in the tank are at least 60 bristle-nosed catfish -- I started with just two!

The clown loaches will feed from your hand but be careful not to rile them up at all as under each eye they have a subocular spine which, if they get defensive, they can flick out and make a sizeable slice into an errant finger. I did this (they drew blood) when I was moving them to the bigger tank and at the time the loaches were all under two inches long so you can imagine the damage they could do now two of them are pushing eight inches! The one at the front is really very much smaller but it was closer and I was using a 14mm lens. Note how the small one has brighter colours, It seems they are perhaps born with a set amount of colour which gets fainter as they get bigger although they can actually make themselves 'grey' when upset with each other -- it is called greying out and the distinctive orange and black bands all but disappear.

There endeth the clown loach tutorial :D

Tansparent by Martin H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cool tank with some big fish in there! I've tried to take some shots of mine and it's not easy. Although my fish are smaller than yours.

Looking at your settings shows how little light there actually is, I reckon you're spot on with your settings.

Cool tank with some big fish in there! I've tried to take some shots of mine and it's not easy. Although my fish are smaller than yours.

Looking at your settings shows how little light there actually is, I reckon you're spot on with your settings.
If you look closely, you can see that the little particles of food floating around are actually tiny steaks where the internal water flow is moving them. I was going to have another go tonight with a much higher ISO but the lights have gone out now and I'm loathe to disturb the fish, so it is what it is now.

Nicely done Martin!

Nice picture of the tank and tank looks really clean with no algae- maybe tiny bit below the sand. Some good sized bogwood in there as well.

Back