weekly Shirleyr's 52 ~ 2016 ~ Week 52 ~ Celebration

Good idea Shirley but I can't help but think that making the calves a larger part of the overall photo would be a stronger photo for the theme

I'll change the photo tomorrow for something different.
Why? that would invalidate all the comments, suggestions and help.
You don't have to take any notice of anything anyone says, but we all try to help one another (y)

Why? that would invalidate all the comments, suggestions and help.
You don't have to take any notice of anything anyone says, but we all try to help one another (y)
Agreed, leave the original Shirley, we all learn from the changes, if you wish to put a new one up just explain what comments made you re-think and why :)

I like the uncropped version of your photo, or a much smaller crop that focussed on the young ones... but right on theme.

I quite like the painting Shirley. Why is it Cultural though - we're not the only people to paint summer flowers. Bit of a shoehorn methinks ... but nice for all that.

Well, I read Google search that cultural meant all sorts including painting, its my version of sunflowers. I was expecting a dig from you, :D(y)

Well, I read Google search that cultural meant all sorts including painting, its my version of sunflowers. I was expecting a dig from you, :D(y)
Not meant to be a "dig" at all Shirley, just that it doesn't immediately shout Cultural ... to me anyway.

I think I'd hang that on my wall :)
Nicely taken shot with no untoward lighting or anything (y)
Maybe a bit of context might be nice (but I've certainly posted similar shots that have been tightly cropped to hit the theme).

It looks a little Monet-esque to me Shirley ( thats not a bad thing btw)
Monet was French, so I'd say on the Monet ( groan) for Cultural :)

Seems like part of our culture and so cultural to me Shirley and as Tim says nicely captured (n)

Thanks all, if you would like to see beautiful paintings, the lady who I copied is Yvonne Coomber. I painted that one I posted, took me ages to get the paint off the kitchen blinds, cupboards and walls. Its flicked with a tooth brush, I've banished myself to the shed now. I'm sure the ladies will love to see Yvonne's paintings, they are superb and very expensive.
At first I was going to local art gallery but no cameras allowed. My next thought would be stained glass windows in a church, it might be cameras are not allowed in some churches, the one in the grounds of Sandringham have a rule no cameras. On the risk of being arrested I decided to post my own, it does look a bit dull. If you want to view it, it looks better on my landing wall.:D
I would have prefered Power, had it all ready, lifeboat going out in the morning for a practice. Darn it, darn it, darn it.:dummy:

A lovely painting Shirley, but photography wise it is just a straight on capture of said painting, so not sure that after 48 weeks your abilities are being stretched or challenged at all,, so presuming that is not your goal ??

Painting wise I really like that, well done :clap:

A lovely painting Shirley, but photography wise it is just a straight on capture of said painting, so not sure that after 48 weeks your abilities are being stretched or challenged at all,, so presuming that is not your goal ??

I'm not sure how to answer your question, my goal was to join in and to match a photo to the given theme. After finding out what the theme was, I try to understand it, if not ask or google it, which I did and as I said in an above post
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjD3dLi7MnQAhVMBcAKHdEUCkkQFgg3MAE&url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cultural&usg=AFQjCNEt0zC1KtvpQi1frJ3uIc3Qrf04xQ&sig2=KLlicMFffAyXFbqtBMkX6Q.
As I cannot go into an art gallery with a camera, I thought that a painting close to sunflowers and Monet would be a near match.
You ask am I stretching my abilities, well, I stretch my abilities every day, carrying my camera, looking what's around me. Walking sometimes for miles.
What is my goal you ask, my goal every day is too achieve something positive. I now reading your post think that in the last 48 posts and themes have achieve nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh no that was a serious question whether you were just looking to capture the theme or try and improve your techniques and skills week on week, as that is what most in the 52 want..., it's your challenge, if you want to just post images that match the themes that is fine, I for one will not offer critique in future and just talk about the content :)

Some interesting comments have been made.

Cultural, well yes, art is culture, IMO.

It's a great painting and much to my liking.

As a photograph, technically, it's a little under exposed and I think the colours could do with a bit more oooommph.

Cheers.

Some interesting comments have been made.

Cultural, well yes, art is culture, IMO.

It's a great painting and much to my liking.

As a photograph, technically, it's a little under exposed and I think the colours could do with a bit more oooommph.

Cheers.
I agree that the colours are dull, I think its cheap paint but I'm about to have another go at it with photoshot. Thanks for being positive.

Excellent artwork, but underwhelming photo. In agreement with all the above comments, not least Tim @LC2 who says "Maybe a bit of context might be nice" ... yes try shooting from an angle with an OOF BG, propped up against a rustic garden table in your backyard, lying in the long grass or something.

... hope that's being positive. :)

Definitely on theme for me as one meaning of cultural is relating to the arts - I do agree with Andy that lifting the exposure would make a big difference to the vibrancy of the colours.
I especially liked your raindrops on fir needles and the seed head in your daily photos thread - you found interesting points of view for both of those and used depth of field to create very engaging shots imo. You take some lovely bird shots, too!

Thanks for all the encouragement.
Something a bit different for the Cultural theme, there is a lot of clutter and I was having a bit of trouble with the lack of wind. This has got to be better than the painting. Unfortunatly this is also rubbish, wrong lens and cropped too tight.
The flag of Wales
Welsh flag.jpg

Last edited:
I like the flag of Wales more than the photo of the painting! Maybe it would have worked better in landscape orientation?

I think the flag is better in landscape. The wind was up to-day and the dragon showed better.
Red Dragon.jpg

Week 49 ~ Arranged
The local shop let me take a photo of apples, I didn't like to handle them too much but I put a red one in the middle to break up the green colour. I put a frame round to hide the cardboard box.
Arrange.jpg

Hi Shirley, nice idea with apples, it's awkward being in a shop, I would like the apples to be all facing up or something symetrical, but as you say you can't fiddle around too much ......they might make you buy them all :)
There's a mark on your red apple, was it on your lens.

It was Susie to notice, well! you've heard of my little pony, this photo is my little secret. At the weekend I saw a new box of red apples in the shop and thought they'd look better with a green one in the middle. Flowers are a bit expensive at the moment so I thought go back to the veg shop, ask and if I can take a photo. Its amazing what some people will stoop to, most of the red apples were sold. So, its was the other way round which was ok but the reds would have won. Then the box had to be pulled out because of a shadow and took the photos before a customer tripped over the box which was on the floor.
On the way back to the car had a little blue sticker stuck to my thumb and wondered where it came from and as soon as I got the photo on the laptop screen saw all the little stickers,:banghead:, if ever there was bait for a @Dark Knight then there is was.:(. So, I clonned every sticker out on every apple and then left the red one till last and the clone picked out the side of the box and I couldn't rescue it. I could see for a mile that mark but I think @Cobra and Dark Knight were too polite to say anything. The fact is that all the apples are a bit odd, I'll change my edit to Yes and take it from there.
Photo called my little secret
My little secret.jpg

On the way back to the car had a little blue sticker stuck to my thumb and wondered where it came from and as soon as I got the photo on the laptop screen saw all the little stickers,:banghead:, if ever there was bait for a @Dark Knight then there is was.:(. So, I clonned every sticker out on every apple and then left the red one till last and the clone picked out the side of the box and I couldn't rescue it. I could see for a mile that mark but I think @Cobra and Dark Knight were too polite to say anything. The fact is that all the apples are a bit odd, I'll change my edit to Yes and take it from there.
Photo called my little secret
View attachment 91478
Hahaaaa am I that bad... I sure don't mean to be :whistle:

I'm glad that it makes you think about your images, which is the whole point for me :)

Last edited:
I agree with Susie - the original is best with that lovely sheen in evidence. Not bothered by the stickers. Excellent choice Shirley and good on you for "seeing" the potential

Thanks for comments for the two photos, it seems its a 50/50 split, or near enough. I liked the first one. If in the next last few weeks there is a re-shoot, I'm ready with the flowers.

I like the original with the stickers better...

Back