Shooting at Florida School

It's a start - I can't see it happening.
A computerised record system would be a start - but the NRA oppose that.

I missed out rules about secure weapon storage when not being used.

Cant see that ever happening in the USA
That would be the best thing they could do, but agree with Matt.

Except that this time the Students need to organise and push the agenda. There are many 17 & 18 year olds just becoming eligible to vote in the mid terms. Find out who takes money from the NRA, who supports the gun lobby and vote them out. Use social media for good, put pressure on the politicians, swing opinion. Thats all the politicians care about, especially Trump with his obsession about his ratings

Allow single shot hunting rifles, ban semi automatics ownership. They can still be shot at authorised ranges etc.
Ban open carry of rifles/semi autos
Computerised database of gun ownership that dealers immediately put details into, that all law agencies have immediate access to.
Gun ownership to be licenced, signed off by the local police, after a visit and interview
A rationalisation of gun laws across all states so all have the same rules for ownership

Thats very similar to the Canadian PAL, but you are allowed semi-automatics with a limited magazine capacity (5 if I remember).

Sorry Matt, as a statistician I say that's complete rubbish. If you look at absolute numbers, for any kind of activity whatsoever, all you conclude is that lots of things happen in big countries.

Worldwide there are FAR more breakdowns of Toyotas than Lamborghinis. Does that mean Toyotas are much less reliable? No, because there are far more Toyotas on the road and the average Toyota probably gets driven more than the average Lamborghini. You have to look at the rate (per car, or per 1000 miles driven or whatever).

Same here. There are FAR more gun deaths in the USA than in, say, Denmark. Does that mean there's a worse problem in the USA? No, because there are far more people in the USA, so you'd expect there to be far more of everything. In fact the population in the USA is over 50 times that of Denmark. But it turns out that there are not 50 times as many gun deaths in the USA, but 400 times as many. If tyu look at the rate, it shows this clearly: the rate per 100,000 population is 10.54 in the USDA and 1.28 in Denmark.
What would it feel like if you then could reduce the number of gun related deaths in the us to 1/10 of today numbers and school mass shootings only once every 10 Weeks instead of every weekend ( we dont have them in DK)
ass hoo

Last edited by a moderator:
Some powerful cartoons

Dana Loesch, a spokeswoman for the NRA, noted that the organization would consider raising the minimum age to 21 for purchasing a rifle an infringement of the Second Amendment.
“It's not the position of the NRA because I think that if we are asking young men and women to — to go and serve their country, that they should be able to also have a firearm,” she told CNN.

Totally ignoring the reason they have the weapons, the control of the weapons when not in theater and the training received.

From BBC Website
"More Americans die annually from the drugs than are killed in car accidents or firearm incidents. Of the 63,630 recorded drug overdose deaths in the US in 2016, 42,249 were from opioids."

What a wonderful country.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel announced Deputy Scot Peterson chose to resign after Israel suspended him without pay.
Israel said Peterson chose to resign as he had met the necessary requirements for retirement. The sheriff noted that the investigation would continue.

from: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...eriff-armed-officer-at-school-never-went-into

So he was of retirement age? Surely thats a factor to his actions.
I really hope we don't have a report saying the guard has now taken his life due to the vilification.
frown.gif

That guard was on £54k a year and had been doing that job since 2009.
reckon I would have wimped out rather than gone up against that spotty t*** with an assault rifle.

I don't know if this has already been posted, but yesterday they arrested a 17 year old in California who planned to shoot up his school. The stash of weapons is incredible.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ssault-rifle-handguns-el-camino-a8222876.html

There was a story of a 12 year old posting she was going to do the same who has been arrested.

meanwhile teacher careless with gun
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-teacher-left-gun-in-bathroom-elementary-kids-found-it/

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel announced Deputy Scot Peterson chose to resign after Israel suspended him without pay.
Israel said Peterson chose to resign as he had met the necessary requirements for retirement. The sheriff noted that the investigation would continue.

from: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...eriff-armed-officer-at-school-never-went-into

So he was of retirement age? Surely thats a factor to his actions.
I really hope we don't have a report saying the guard has now taken his life due to the vilification.
frown.gif

Sorry just occured to me, in the Florida concert shooting, a whole SWAT team waited over hour before breaking down the door of the hotel room with the bad guy in it, even though he'd killed himself 50 minutes before

New tactics, bore people to death. Youll see it used by one of these kids too, just wait and see
"Mass school Boredom in......"

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a story of a 12 year old posting she was going to do the same who has been arrested.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-teacher-left-gun-in-bathroom-elementary-kids-found-it/[/QUOTEYou cannot possibly blame the teacher or the gun for that mistake - it has to be the fault of the unisex bathroom

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-teacher-left-gun-in-bathroom-elementary-kids-found-it/

You cannot possibly blame the teacher or the gun for that mistake - it has to be the fault of the unisex bathroom:exit:

If you don't mind me saying so, you seem to be subscribing to this "absolutist" approach that we see in US politics -"It won't stop *ALL* school shootings, therefore <insert proposed measure here> shouldn't be adopted." Virtually everyone here, I think, would say that if it were possible to cut the frequency of these incidents from weekly to, say, monthly, that would be a good thing. (And a good start.) But a significant proportion of the US don't seem to go along with that kind of reasoning. I wonder why?
I don't think I'm being "absolutist," just realist... To my way of thinking the issue isn't really the type of weapon used. Unless you regulate it to the point that the perpetrator couldn't arm their self to the point of significant advantage these types of events won't decline at all. What I can't fathom is what has changed in society to where these types of attacks are more commonly seen as "the best answer" to these people when there is some perceived wrong done to them (most of these tragedies are not "terrorist").
If an individual is law abiding, keeps their car properly maintained, undergoes regular 'advanced driver' training, and uses their car in a safe/responsible manner, then what is the basis for saying they shouldn't be allowed to drive at 120mph on the freeway?
I think your correlation here is owning a high powered rifle and shoot it anywhere they like? That isn't the case obviously... If it's just owning a high powered rifle in the first place; there is more justification for that here than there is for you to be able to own a car that can do 160mph there. If it's owning a semi auto rifle, again I see valid justification for that as well here (small capacity for hunting).
The paradox here is that it is *only* with the issue of gun ownership that Americans assert these rights. Americans accept all sorts of Government-imposed restrictions in other walks of life, even to the point where Europeans would think them over-regulated.
I think the majority of Americans can and do accept regulation in regards to gun ownership... In NY any gun owned has to be registered. To get a hunting license you have to get training. To buy a gun in a store you have to undergo a background check. To own a AOW (i.e modified/otherwise illegal) you have to register federally. In many states to own/carry you have to have training. etc. etc. A lot of the issues are loopholes in the regulations, or breakdowns in the system/communication. That said, the regulations are not uniform across all states and as such are obviously inadequate.

Here we have the impression you can pick up an AR15 from the shelfes next to the cereals and tha thats just to easy access
In general that's not the case. But there are some loopholes in the laws that makes it nearly so in some cases (trade show/individual sales), and *most* here would say that needs changed. Personally, unless you limited it to single shot weapons I don't see it being much of a limit to how much damage can be done in a given timeframe... excluding "automatic" type capabilities (I wasn't even aware of bump stocks).
The idea of being able to protecti yourself against a government gone to far is of the past, romantic but naive
I would have to agree...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. Its a very black and whit view thats simply not the same as having some sort of sensible weapons control. It often surprises Americans (maybe you already knew, I'm sorry if you did) that there are about 1.8 million legally held guns in the UK.Theres also a pretty strict certification program and a mechanism where by if someone is showing mental health issues (amongst other things) those guns will be removed pretty quickly. I'm not seeing the harm taking guns away from someone who shows issues can cause?
There are those that are suggesting no gun ownership for individuals, or ban all semi-automatics, etc etc. I think the problem is that most of these debates are carried out at the extremes with polar (probably unrealistic) viewpoints predominating... it's politics.
But being serious for a moment you're likely to kill far fewer people with 4 rounds in a shotgun the 30 in an AR-15
I agree. I think a 3-5 round limit for a sporting semi automatic would be quite reasonable... and it should not be clip fed. Anything beyond that has no real *practical* justification. Anything beyond that needs greater regulation/control IMO.

I dont see it that way. fear of death is natural. its only understandable he didnt go in and face the shooter. Either he wasnt trained well enough or... well i dont know
I don't see it that way either. You do not enter a situation, and you definitely don't start shooting, unless you *know* the consequences of your actions will be less detrimental than inaction would be. It would be very hard to accept having killed a child, or escalating the situation w/o being able to resolve it resulting in more deaths. It takes a very special (trained) person to take that upon themselves, and even then many struggle to live with the results that sometimes happen.

Just found this in my local paper. It shows the overwhelming response by a handful of British people to the news that Trump wants to arm teachers in US schools.
I wonder what the response would have been in the US? I think I know the answer to that.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/donald-trump-considers-arming-school-teachers-160539/
Anyone with a modicum of common sense, and especially those with actual experience/training for this type of stuff, has seriously berated Trumps suggestion here... and he's not getting much support from anyone that I can see (maybe the NRA?).

Allow single shot hunting rifles, ban semi automatics ownership. They can still be shot at authorised ranges etc.
You don't hunt do you?
Ban open carry of rifles/semi autos
no one is allowed to "open carry" a rifle/shotgun

Gun ownership to be licenced, signed off by the local police, after a visit and interview
supposed to be covered by federal background check (flawed system)
A rationalisation of gun laws across all states so all have the same rules for ownership
Makes sense to me...

Last edited:
You don't hunt do you?
Have done quite a lot of rough shooting, yes, mostly with a shotgun.
I also regularly shoot with other weapons, either in the US (not since trump elected) or in europe, most recently in January. Your point is?

no one is allowed to "open carry" a rifle/shotgun

Sorry you're wrong
http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/guns-in-public/open-carry/

Plus it was obvious in Charlottesville in the protests
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...harlottesville-could-have-been-graver/537087/

Last edited:
Have done quite a lot of rough shooting, yes, mostly with a shotgun.
I also regularly shoot with other weapons, either in the US (not since trump elected) or in europe, most recently in January. Your point is?
I don't see "single shot" as being particularly ethical in a hunting sense... Ideally it would always be "1 shot 1 kill," but that's not the case (I don't personally hunt anymore).
I guess so... my understanding and the practical application of this is for the purpose of transportation to/from legal activities. Anywhere I have ever lived you will get confronted if you open carry any weapon inappropriately.
That said, it is obviously very ambiguous legally which is not good.

Last edited:
I agree, I thought the same about transporting weapons, based on my experiences here in the UK, but was really surprised to see weapons openly carried, legally, at Charlottesville, especially as that was a flashpoint.
So I looked into it and was really surprised about the difference in rules for long guns and hand guns. Hence why I suggested common laws across the US imposed by congress, not state differences.

In general that's not the case. But there are some loopholes in the laws that makes it nearly so in some cases (trade show/individual sales), and *most* here would say that needs changed. Personally, unless you limited it to single shot weapons I don't see it being much of a limit to how much damage can be done in a given timeframe... excluding "automatic" type capabilities (I wasn't even aware of bump stocks).

I would have to agree...
The way I see it. There a big difference in rate of fire from bolt action to semi auto. Add a heftier kick from recoil of a bigger caliber (308 or 30 06)which makes it take longer to get back on target slowing rate of fire even more and then youll have to reload round by round after 5 shots. Every second count for possible victims to get out of the way.

I guess so... my understanding and the practical application of this is for the purpose of transportation to/from legal activities. Anywhere I have ever lived you will get confronted if you open carry any weapon inappropriately.
That said, it is obviously very ambiguous legally which is not good.
Indeed, you might be surprised to hear that a legally held and licensed gun can also be transported in the UK. But I wouldn’t fancy your chances openly carrying a firearm through any city centre here, you’re likely to find yourself face down in last nights pavement pizza.

There’s a difference between ‘legal’ and what we’d consider acceptable behaviour.

I’ve said it before, I’ve been treated like a danger to society when discussing having a beer at the end of a long day’s work (shooting a wedding), by people who are happy to carry a gun to the same job. That’s so far away from sensible to any European but seems ‘normal’ to some Yanks.

Indeed, you might be surprised to hear that a legally held and licensed gun can also be transported in the UK. But I wouldn’t fancy your chances openly carrying a firearm through any city centre here, you’re likely to find yourself face down in last nights pavement pizza.

There’s a difference between ‘legal’ and what we’d consider acceptable behaviour.

I’ve said it before, I’ve been treated like a danger to society when discussing having a beer at the end of a long day’s work (shooting a wedding), by people who are happy to carry a gun to the same job. That’s so far away from sensible to any European but seems ‘normal’ to some Yanks.
Ouch such paranoia :( hope that doesn't happen to often.

I actually find that quite insulting,
I don't understand what you found insulting! :thinking: I was just pointing out that on a UK based site, with one would imagine, a mainly UK based or originated user base, we may have a different point of view to an actual American, who may see these events in a different way. They may also have a different view of guns and gun ownership. I think what Steven/sk66 has posted has done that so far has done that.

The way I see it. There a big difference in rate of fire from bolt action to semi auto.
Depends on if your shots are placed, or more random/scattered... and similarly, if the shots are more random/scattered (i.e. just shooting quickly) you'll have to reload sooner. I think you may be thinking of single shot bolt action rifles rather than clip fed (there are clip fed bolt action rifles)... that's part of why I think sporting (generally legal) rifles should not be clip fed and don't need a capacity of more than 3-5 rounds, reloading a feed tube/chamber is a lot slower than changing a clip.
The idea of a large caliber being "safer" is dubious I think... certainly would be hard to sell.

Some parents would give them a bigger stick...

Or, maybe teachers should have a hidden stick.

Last edited:
The ar15 is a ridiculously competent weapon. Even with a novice it's easy to get a tiny grouping at 30m, or 50m with a red dot sight. Recoil is minimal.
With a handgun, if we're honest, then accuracy starts to dissipate past 10-15m. At 25m we were taught it's an area denial weapon, keeping people away. Pistols are however easier to conceal. There's a reason on most us indoor ranges people shoot at 5m or so with a pistol as they are considered close range weapons, i.e., in your house.
In that environment/culture,you can understand the argument for a pistol for defence. Open. And concealed carry still seem strange to me but that's their culture.
But I cannot see any reason for weapons such as ar15's at home with very minimal rules on ownership.

I can't see anything changing. The NRA and trump have come out fighting.

The culture needs to change and this needs to be a. Step change driven by the youth.

The ar15 is a ridiculously competent weapon.
The AR15 was first introduced and sold to the public in 1964. And while we do have the highest, there are other countries with a high rate of civilian gun ownership that don't seem to have the same relative rate of incidence. There must be something else in our culture (USA) driving the rise in mass shootings... I can't fathom what that is, but there is a lot I don't understand about our youth/society.

It’s not rocket science is it?

View attachment 120884
or
D. make sticks illegal so no child can play with one.

I know some will think I'm off, but that is more of an accurate analogy. Of course the offender is going to have his stick taken away... and he'll go to jail or a mental facility for quite some time as well.

I fully acknowledge that the level of damage makes these analogies poor. And something has to be done even if it is treating the symptoms (increased regulation) rather than the cause... but it's not a cure, or even a reversal really.

US kids should simply refuse to go to school. En masse.
Their parents should back them up.
The teachers refuse to teach.

US kids should simply refuse to go to school. En masse.
Their parents should back them up.
The teachers refuse to teach.
There was some mention on the news (can't find it just now) that pupils will have action taken against them if they walk out.

There was some mention on the news (can't find it just now) that pupils will have action taken against them if they walk out.

I'm talking millions of kids, not just that school.
They can't deal with punishment on that scale, in in trying they'd look foolish.

Back