Show us yer film shots then!

I managed to shoot my first proper roll of black and white film in months yesterday. As we actually had a bit of sunshine, I tried to play with shapes and shadows, which was a fun departure from my usual colour fare.

I really enjoy your images RJ, and this is a good set. I especially like number 2, followed by 1 and 3.

I really enjoy your images RJ, and this is a good set. I especially like number 2, followed by 1 and 3.

Thanks, @Solo man! I'm not a huge black and white shooter ordinarily; I probably need to challenge myself to shoot it a bit more often. It requires a different way of seeing.

Thanks, @Solo man! I'm not a huge black and white shooter ordinarily; I probably need to challenge myself to shoot it a bit more often. It requires a different way of seeing.

IIRC the Hollywood guys used to put something in front of their eye to see in B/W...probably some sort colour to B/W filter.

This is very poor quality, but it is an old camera, shot with old expired film, by and even older worn out photographer.
Kershaw Eight 20 King Penguin.
Ilford HP5 (expired)
Coco Pops by Dave Gilbert, on Flickr

H'mm Dave it looks like you missed the dog and got the wall behind in focus. o_O

I have one of those. IIRC, the minimum focus distance is huge, so you were never going to get the dog in focus. Looks like it did well with the window and the wall, though!

H'mm Dave it looks like you missed the dog and got the wall behind in focus. o_O

I have one of those. IIRC, the minimum focus distance is huge, so you were never going to get the dog in focus. Looks like it did well with the window and the wall, though!

yeah, it was my first play with this camera. It was my late Father-in-laws. I couldn't get any further back as i was already up against the wall. But now I know what is and isn't capable of. Not bad for something thats around 65 years old and has been a little battered over the years.

Filppin 'eck, I just took a gannder on fleabay ...they demand a fair price don't they?!

Not that i want one, I was simply curious:D

It's what the exposure meter sees i.e. everything in B\W ;) but Asha it could be useful as we have all seen a lovely scene, taken a shot in B\W, and the results were disappointing (not due to bad processing etc). Looking through the Wratten would give you a rough idea what the result would be as things can stand out in colour but could merge with other things of slightly different colour but with similar grey card exposure readings...a good example of this is taking a landscape shot (in B\W) with the sun high at midday...everything looks flat but with colour it could look much better if e.g. the landscape is many subtle shades of green esp in places like Ireland.
I'll keep a look out at the bootie from now on...might be lucky

It's what the exposure meter sees i.e. everything in B\W ;) but Asha it could be useful as we have all seen a lovely scene, taken a shot in B\W, and the results were disappointing (not due to bad processing etc). Looking through the Wratten would give you a rough idea what the result would be as things can stand out in colour but could merge with other things of slightly different colour but with similar grey card exposure readings...a good example of this is taking a landscape shot (in B\W) with the sun high at midday...everything looks flat but with colour it could look much better if e.g. the landscape is many subtle shades of green esp in places like Ireland.
I'll keep a look out at the bootie from now on...might be lucky

Yeah, i see exactly where you're coming from Brian.
I know without doubt that certain scenes, particularly architecture, generally work very well ( for me anyway!) in b&w as do portraits, however many times I've shot landscapes and other scenes, particularly those containing flora which I've tried to envisage the tones of grey etc but more often than not, I've been dissapointed with the results.
If I ever come across a Wratten 90 at a fair price then i'll buy it just to see how much it helps.
Should you come across one then give me a shout although it's far from a "need" so if it comes about, all well and good, if not then it don't matter;)

With colour film it's more WYSIWYG (well hopefully) but when I used to do mainly B\W it was more difficult..anyway there must be a substitute for the Wratten going for peanuts are even something second best...maybe someone knows or a search on google.

H'mm some guy said a sepia filter as an alternative h'mmm

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000Yl5

Last edited:
With colour film it's more WYSIWYG (well hopefully) but when I used to do mainly B\W it was more difficult..anyway there must be a substitute for the Wratten going for peanuts are even something second best...maybe someone knows or a search on google.

and of course I probably every colour filter imaginable but sepia!:banghead:

and of course I probably every colour filter imaginable but sepia!:banghead:

Well I've got one and if I find a spare you can have it....it sorta works as when looking in the garden plants shrubs etc were merging at places, difficult to use as everything is darker...but take my opnion with a pinch of salt as maybe it was because some parts were in slight shadow.

Well I've got one and if I find a spare you can have it....it sorta works as when looking in the garden plants shrubs etc were merging at places, difficult to use as everything is darker...but take my opnion with a pinch of salt as maybe it was because some parts were in slight shadow.

Brian, I take everything you say with a pinch of salt:p .......................Asdas own brand salt at that! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the offer...very kind;)

Should you come across a filter that can turn grey, cloudy, miserable UK skies into blue sunny ones, you could make yourself a fortune:D

Got a second one roughly 7cm sq but a bit of one corner is missing (well I ain't giving you my best one :D ) Ambico 7762 maybe it's for a cokin holder but no problem seeing through it........if you want it, I'll post.

Got a second one roughly 7cm sq but a bit of one corner is missing (well I ain't giving you my best one :D ) Ambico 7762 maybe it's for a cokin holder but no problem seeing through it........if you want it, I'll post.

:ty:Brian, .................PM coming your way;)

If you have it Asha, let us know if it's any use.

I'm interested in this concept.

Yep I'll have a play and let you know how different my little world looks through an Ambico:D

I spent an entertaining couple of hours with Simon (Ess) today at Audley Medieval Village Fayre. I took my newish (to me) Rolleicord and ended up shooting 3 rolls of film. Here's a few from the first, the others are still drying.

Rolleicord Model 6 on Fomapan 100

A soldier's breakfast.
F100-A-Soldiers-Breakfast by Andy, on Flickr

Dancing Girls
F100-Dancing-Girls by Andy, on Flickr

Jingle Bells
F100-Jingle-Bells by Andy, on Flickr

Waiting for the battle
F100-Waiting-for-the-battle by Andy, on Flickr

One more from Hampton Court.

I know the "rule" is to have the horizon on a third, but the vast majority of photos I take have the horizon on the half. Not sure why.

View attachment 62937

Rules!

We don't need no stinkin' rules.

:)

Imo "Rules" take away the freedom to be creative.

Shoot as you feel fit.

Breaking away from what is considered to be the correct or normal way sometimes produces the best / most interesting compositions / photos ;)

Very good Simon, nice stuff that fomapan. Course you did cheat by using one of them fancy modern cameras and a long lens.....:D

That owl... wow, stunning.

Now ^^that^^ would have made a fab entry for the "you've been framed" challenge

Later in the discussion they pointed out that almost any filter would do, red, green, blue... I reckon a red filter would be a good choice, it's strong enough to mask any of the other colours, leaving a range of red tones. Plus it has the usual red filter effects of dramatically increasing sky contrast and making greens blacker.

Anyone ever used FX-39? I bought some the other day and I've been using it this week with Acros 100. It seems pretty good, I think, and it's fairly economical. Apparently it's well suited to the T-grain type films (e.g., Acros, Delta, T-Max); I'm wondering how well it'll work with Delta 400.

Later in the discussion they pointed out that almost any filter would do, red, green, blue... I reckon a red filter would be a good choice, it's strong enough to mask any of the other colours, leaving a range of red tones. Plus it has the usual red filter effects of dramatically increasing sky contrast and making greens blacker.

Well I knew what the Hollywood guys did in the 1960's also filming in daylight and using a filter to give the effect of nightime.... but I can't remember reading about (or met) an amateur who actually used a see through filter....but it might be useful for long distance shots with greenery (or whatever) to see if the shot is going to look boring...anyway I never liked my distant landscapes and similar in 35mm B\W and would use Kodachrome for those.

Last edited:
Back