Show us yer film shots then!

I'm impressed with the quality of the grain (or lack of it) in those shots developed in Rodinal. I have a Minox and a roll of expired Minopan 100, so I have been shamed into actually using it one day. As I'm very low on chemicals and I can't just wander into a shop and buy them now and resent paying a courier charge I'm going to test out my bottle pf Rodinal (RO9 actually) on a cut down roll of Vista 200. Despite claims to the contrary, I have proved to myself that RO9 doesn't have a long shelf life and when it deteriorates it goes through a step function from 'working fine' to 'useless'. I've gone so far as to use my bulk loader to make a roll of about 10 shot Vista 200. All I need now is a bit of motivation to go out and shoot some test frames and test the RO9. Exactly what I would do with any Minox negatives, I don't know, as no amount of fettling could make my Minolta Scan Dual II accept them.

Well, I'm glad I tested out that bottle of RO9 with my usual method for Agfa Vista, a method that has been reasonably successful in the past. If you were to ask me what was on the negatives of the test roll, then I could give the same reply as a flatmate of mine used a long time ago, when I asked what was on TV that night:

"F*** all, in colour, on all 3 channels"

This confirms to me that RO9 doesn't have the legendary long shelf life of old-time Rodinal. It was quite astonishing to see the strip without even the hint of frame lines. I'm going to have to have a think about ordering some chemicals with a view to minimising cost of postage.

How long does the Rodinal last now after opening?

You'll get away with a few months as long as the lid is sealed well, if you can fill the bottle with glass marbles as you deplete it, then probably longer than that

I'm very pleased with the results I got from the roll of Adox Silvermax 100 I shot recently. I'm happy with pretty much every shot from the roll (well, my uncritical eye is, anyway :)). The only downside was that, because I'd rated it at 80 ASA, and was shooting indoors and on mostly dull, rainy conditions, I was stuck using very wide apertures and pretty slow shutter speeds. I did shoot a couple at sub 1/50 sec speeds (using a 50mm f.1.8 lens), but one of those has noticeable camera shake. Otherwise, though, this one's definately another for the "keep" pile and will be shot with again. I'll post a bunch of shots as I upload them, but here are the three already on Flickr...

FILM - Gilden observer
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Belt

FILM - Water feature

All with the F70 & Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-D.

Last edited:
Love Silvermax, the grain on the clock shot particularly is fantastic. Did you dev in the Silvermax developer?

Yeah, based on my first roll, it's lovely stuff. The clock shot has been cropped, so the grain is more apparent, but it still looks nice.

I don't develop myself though, it all goes via Peak Imaging, so they presumably used Kodak X-Tol.

Got my Olympus 35RD back from repair recently and had the opprtunity to give it a test drive at the weekend. The wife likes visiting "Historic Scotland" sites, so we took a run down to Dryburgh and Melrose Abbeys. Happy to report the 35RD seems to be problem free.
All shot with Acros 100.

Dryburgh Abbey

by Steven Cook, on Flickr

Melrose Abbey

by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141863752@N02/]Steven Cook, on Flickr

by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141863752@N02/]Steven Cook, on Flickr

by Steven Cook, on Flickr[/url][/url]

Got my Olympus 35RD back from repair recently and had the opprtunity to give it a test drive at the weekend. The wife likes visiting "Historic Scotland" sites, so we took a run down to Dryburgh and Melrose Abbeys. Happy to report the 35RD seems to be problem free.
All shot with Acros 100.

Dryburgh Abbey

Melrose Abbey

https://flic.kr/p/SAp1p7
https://flic.kr/p/SAp1Es

Those are lovely and sharp. I like the second shot with the tree and gravestones in particular.

Had a wander around Calke Abbey the other day and mostly took the same photos again as on previous visits. Took the recently bought yashica and the hi-matic for some range finder practice. Don't like the rollei film really but I'm impressed with both in low light. F1.7 is a great help. Colour was the yashica with some lomo colour film. Hi-matic was black and white rollei rpx or something.

R2-05039-0021 by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

R2-05039-0012 by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

R1-05030-0033 by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

Had a wander around Calke Abbey the other day and mostly took the same photos again as on previous visits. Took the recently bought yashica and the hi-matic for some range finder practice. Don't like the rollei film really but I'm impressed with both in low light. F1.7 is a great help. Colour was the yashica with some lomo colour film. Hi-matic was black and white rollei rpx or something.

That's some lovely detail you've captured in #3, which Yashica was it you used?

I used Rollei RPX 400 for the shots of millstones that I posted on here recently. I wasn't that impressed either. It's ok, and my shots are quite nice, but they're not a patch on the shots I got from Rollei Superpan 200, which I think have much nicer tones. The RPX 400 felt a little flat and lacking in contrast. I believe that RPX is the same as Kentmere. I've only shot the 400 ASA variant of both brands, so can't speak for the 100 speed version though.

I think my Konica Big Mini is stuffed, this is about the only salvageable photo from a roll I shot last week :(

Mallorca Sa Calobra 2017 by Jason Turvey, on Flickr

If all your other frames were shot in the same area, then it is a shame that this is the only one you can salvage as it looks like a beautiful area....Italy perhaps??

I did a "quick" 100km this morning on roads like that in the hills where I live.......a seriously fast descent when the rain started ( well hailstone initially on the high cols at 1600 meters) in an attempt to get to lower and " safer" ground before the predicted very heavy rains flooded the roads......I failed miserably and got drenched but it's all fun especially as I was alone on the road :) ( The local Rivierians don't like the wet stuff :rolleyes::D)

Edit: Looking at your profil, there's a possibility this scene could be on your doorstep in Wales although it resembles more like the Alpes imo
I knew Wales quite well but wouldn't be able to place this location if that is where it was shot.

Last edited:
If all your other frames were shot in the same area, then it is a shame that this is the only one you can salvage as it looks like a beautiful area....Italy perhaps??

I did a "quick" 100km this morning on roads like that in the hills where I live.......a seriously fast descent when the rain started ( well hailstone initially on the high cols at 1600 meters) in an attempt to get to lower and " safer" ground before the predicted very heavy rains flooded the roads......I failed miserably and got drenched but it's all fun especially as I was alone on the road :) ( The local Rivierians don't like the wet stuff :rolleyes::D)

Edit: Looking at your profil, there's a possibility this scene could be on your doorstep in Wales although it resembles more like the Alpes imo
I knew Wales quite well but wouldn't be able to place this location if that is where it was shot.

Ahem, the title of his picture should give you a clue, Asha!

I was away with the cycling club last week in mallorca and lost a number of good shots, oh well.

H'mm didn't you check the camera out before? A camera you can't trust is a door stop or for a glass case or
for spare parts.

Last edited:
I was away with the cycling club last week in mallorca and lost a number of good shots, oh well.

Tbh I've tried taking a camera with me on rides, and of course I have a crappy mob phone that I could use too but having rode and raced as a young man, I ride to ride like I did then if you know what I mean and typically stops are solely for refreshements.
The beautiful scenes remain in my head but not on a photograph......

Back