Show us yer film shots then!

I went on a Coach trip to Portsmouth 'Historical Dockyard' -- gave my OLYMPUS OM-2n an outing loaded with a 24 exp 02/2007 dated Ilford FP4+ which I processed in my Home-made Microphen 1+1 and also took my 1956 Agfa Isolette III loaded with 2002 dated Fuji RMS but I have not used up THAT film yet so show a few B&W -- I was stuck in the 'Mary Rose' exhibition as it is VERY DARK in there and under 'Climate Control' -- it is only half the Ship as rest was eaten by worms and bacteria over the 450 years it was in the sea, but this half survived as it was under silt so no oxygen for all the 'Nasties' !!
Mary Rose 01.jpg Mary Rose 03.jpg HMS Victory.jpg HMS Warrior.jpg Seaman.jpg

Here's a couple from my first roll since getting back into proper film photography earlier this year. I'd bought an Olympus Trip and took it to a weekend away in Luss. The weather was poor, misty and dreich but it made for a couple of quite atmospheric shots. I used Ilford XP2, developed in Boots and scanned on a cheap all-in-one printer. Ended up not getting on well with the zone focusing of the Trip so sold it and bought the 35RD and then the Olympus M-1.

trip011a small.jpg

trip012b small.jpg

Ok, so these are not my film shots, but I quite like them nontheless. They were amongst a bag of old photos and negatives that my dad has given me to scan. I'm assuming my dad took the shot of the tram in Cologne around 1959/60 when he was on National Service there with the RAF.

I think the second was from a trip to the Nurburgring (see shot 3), but I don't know who the people in the shot are (again, I'm assuming my dad was taking the picture). Not sure what camera the guy in the middle is holding. Any takers?

Some of the negs (these included) have seen better days, and the focus on whatever camera was used leaves something to be desired on many pictures, but I'm prepared to forgive them their shortcomings. I'll post some more if people are interested?

Scanned Negs-5
by a_bit_of_this_a_bit_of_that, on Flickr

Scanned Negs-2

Scanned Negs-7

Last edited:
Oh for the double, nay triple Like button! Respect in all dimensions, Rob, excellent shots there... I'm guessing those poses weren't held for very long!

Oh for the double, nay triple Like button! Respect in all dimensions, Rob, excellent shots there... I'm guessing those poses weren't held for very long!

Thanks Chris. Yes you are right they don't stay still long! This is where this particular large format camera has an unusual benefit in that it can be used hand held.

Another of my dad's shots. Again, from the Nurburgring in 1959 or 1960 I think. Not sure who the driver shown is.

EDIT: The driver might be Tony Brooks. On further research, I think this is actually from the 1960 Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, not the Nuburgring. The car is a Cooper Climax.

Scanned Negs

Last edited:
I wondered very briefly if it might have been Archie Scott Brown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Scott_Brown , but then I realised the shot was back to front, and Archie was born with a deformed right arm. Sadly, he died as a result of a motor racing accident in 1958, so it wouldn't have fitted with the 1959/60 date either.

Yeah, I realised after initially uploading it that the shot was flipped horizontally. Should be correct now.

I wish I kept a lot better notes but I'm pretty sure that I used my old Mamiya 6 with FP4 and one of Peter Hogan's staining developers (cant for the life of me remember the name of it!)
I've very recently returned to photography and it was such a tough decision whether to invest into film or digital, I went for the latter but I don't half miss the look of film so when funds have recovered I can see myself getting back into it. :)

Self portrait by Mike Meal, on Flickr

A few more from last weekend, all on a Voigtlander R4a and Nokton 35mm lens and Kodak Ektar 100.

Asleep-on-the-beach by Andy, on Flickr

Beach-Pano1 by Andy, on Flickr

Iron-Man2 by Andy, on Flickr

And finally, and I know that I've gone and hit the sliders waaaay to hard on this one but I wanted to see how much detail had been captured even though it was nearly dark.
Sunset-and-the-pier by Andy, on Flickr

A bit nuclear but it's growing on me. :D

New fresh photos from me!! This is the first time I've left the house with a proper camera since the Peaks meet.

For some reason I've been very drawn to interiors of late, not really still life but hardly interior design dunno what it is. I may have taken a camera but I didn't take a meter so these are all just a punt, some bracketing, tri-x's forgiving nature and a good compensating developer.

These were taken in a bothy near Hadrians wall after a very wet walk in.

haughton green bothy by Steven, on Flickr

haughton green bothy by Steven, on Flickr

And this is my buddy making supper.

Bothy Chef by Steven, on Flickr

I've been doing one of my occasional revisits to old shots that I didn't do anything with at the time. These are both from the roll of Rollei Retro 400s that I underexposed a couple of months back and shot with my OM-1. I decided to just go with it and make them contrasty. The cross photo has impressive levels of grain / noise now! :D

FILM - Railings
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Underexposed
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Found some shots I took with a Lubitel 2 camera around 1979, not a bad little camera for the price (especially second hand), the results were usually quite good in ideal conditions with the sun behind you, but I don't think I'd be swapping a Yashica 635 for one any time soon!

A snap of my Grandad, he was so engrossed in reading he didn't even know I was taking a photo!

Lubitel 2 with Kodacolor II ISO 100 print film

Last edited:
Found some shots I took with a Lubitel 2 camera around 1979, not a bad little camera for the price (especially second hand), the results were usually quite good in ideal conditions with the sun behind you, but I don't think I'd be swapping a Yashica 635 for one any time soon!

A snap of my Grandad, he was so engrossed in reading he didn't even know I was taking a photo!

Lubitel 2 with Kodacolor II ISO 100 print film

Tthe shot of your grandad is great. It's a combination of the decor and that smartly dressed older generation thing that's going on in the photo.

Thanks Nige, it's a nice photo to remember him by, he was always smartly dressed as so many of that generation were in those days. Not like us lot these days, mooching round in jeans and sweaters!

Like an album cover for a forgotten 70s metal band. :)

A planned shot for a forgotten client then!:rolleyes::D

It just needs a mushroom cloud adding to it:ROFLMAO:

Tbh the silhouette of the cross is OK, and with a starlit sky, would work pretty well I reckon.;)

Cracking shot Jason, I'd be inclined to crop in just a little bit tighter and lose the buildings and lamp on the middle left side, and see how it looked without the part post on the right too, plus a little bit of the foreground if you wanted to retain the aspect ratio? It's got a really nostalgic look to it, so a shot that won't date. With the suggested crop I bet you could sell that via one of the photo libraries. :)

Back