Show us yer film shots then!

Well we did a few more Historic Scotland visits last weekend. This time I decided to take the Olympus M-1, checked it out out Friday and all was well but the next day when we arrived at Tantallon Castle the meter wouldn't respond. Seems the wein cell had given up! Oh well, time to try out Sunny 16 for the first time (all my previous film cameras growing up had been all singing, all dancing auto-everything). Sadly it seems I need more practice, although most were somewhat salvageable in LR. As I was leaving Tantallon I remembered I had a light meter app on my phone, things got a bit better after that.

The final visit was to Seton Collegiate Church where we caught the tail end of a wedding, below are a few from there. Taken with Adox Silvermax.

R1-05452-0030 by Steven Cook, on Flickr

R1-05452-0027 by Steven Cook, on Flickr

R1-05452-0023 by Steven Cook, on Flickr

R1-05452-0022 by Steven Cook, on Flickr

R1-05452-0021 by Steven Cook, on Flickr

My son was married there just under 3 years ago, a great venue. I particularly like the first of these!

Some backup candidates for "lines" for me... couldn't have done much worse than the submitted one!

1) Plenty of lines, a bit green... if that moorhen had stayed on the grass where I first saw it, instead of jumping down to the bottom step where it's darn near invisible, I might have entered this!

R4-05018-015A by Chris R, on Flickr

2) Reeds...

R1-04900-036A by Chris R, on Flickr

3) Gable end, a bit abstract...

R1-04900-031A by Chris R, on Flickr

4) Ducks in a row... bit dark and looking aimlessly around, never mind...

R1-04900-018A by Chris R, on Flickr

All Pentax MX, various lenses, all Vista 400 (ie Superia 400X rebadged).

That duck shot is really pretty good, Chris - the water swirls reflecting the sky look almost oily, and (almost) perfect line up of the ducks.

Cracking shot.

Thanks Ken. Little bit more exposure on the ducks might have done it... but might have spoiled the water, too! Perhaps I should see what I can do in PP...

Some from outside RAF Cosford Museum with the Rolleicord and Delta 400.

I also went through a roll of Tri-X pushed to 1600 inside. I'm off to develop that now.

img635 by Simon, on Flickr

img632 by Simon, on Flickr

img630 by Simon, on Flickr

img628 by Simon, on Flickr

Went with Family on 8 day trip to New York -- first 3 days were TERRIBLE weather -- cold and rainy and I caught pneumonia so 7 hour all -night hospital stay -- on my actual Birthday April 10th I was i bed feeling like a Zombie. I took one of my Pentax ME Supers that had given good results in Philippines with outdated Fuji Velvia 50 BUT it let me down and film was mostly under-exposed --- I tested it today against a Weston Master V set to 200 ASA and to get same reading had to set camera to 100 ASA -- for B&W I took a Pentax P30n loaded with Ilford Delta 100. Various lenses added to the weight on my shoulder so not much fun when feeling ill
Budweiser in NYC by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Good Morning America! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Times Square area by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Smart car ! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Intrepid Aircraft Carrier by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Braving the Rain and Cold by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Last edited:
Went with Family on 8 day trip to New York -- first 3 days were TERRIBLE weather -- cold and rainy and I caught pneumonia so 7 hour all -night hospital stay -- on my actual Birthday April 10th I was i bed feeling like a Zombie. I took one of my Pentax ME Supers that had given good results in Philippines with outdated Fuji Velvia 50 BUT it let me down and film was mostly under-exposed --- I tested it today against a Weston Master V set to 200 ASA and to get same reading had to set camera to 100 ASA -- for B&W I took a Pentax P30n loaded with Ilford Delta 100. Various lenses added to the weight on my shoulder so not much fun when feeling ill
Budweiser in NYC by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Good Morning America! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Times Square area by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Smart car ! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Intrepid Aircraft Carrier by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Braving the Rain and Cold by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Loving your shots of New York Pete but I'm ata loss as to why you would use outdated film on a once in a lifetime trip (well it would be for me) and take the chance of the film failing and losing all those shots. Don't get me wrong I like a bit of outdated film for experimentation or if I'm searching for that 1970's s*** brown look that only old emulsions seem to produce but on a trip to New York, no.

Last edited:
Loving your shots of New York Pete but I'm ata loss as to why you would use outdated film on a once in a lifetime trip (well it would be for me) and take the chance of the film failing and losing all those shots. Don't get me wrong I like a bit of outdated film for experimentation or if I searching for that 1970's s*** brown that only old emulsions seem to produce but a trip to New York, no.

Well I too take outdated Reala on hols...but I know it's ok being in a batch and in the freezer.......but as you say if you are not sure it's a No No.

Was trying to upload a photo here but it's saying its too large, im sure i've uploaded bigger - am i missing something?

Was trying to upload a photo here but it's saying its too large, im sure i've uploaded bigger - am i missing something?
Think its maximum 800 down the longest size.

Two from the OM-1 & Poundland Agfa. Then two from the Pentax P30t - these have been cropped to squares as they're from a couple of overlapped frames that occured when my thum slipped off the advance lever mid-stroke. Agai, on Poundland Agfa.

FILM - Tulips
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - The exhibition

FILM - Unintentional square

FILM - Unintentional square-2

And this is what the conjoined frames looked like pre-crop...
FILM - Overlap.jpg

Last edited:
Two from the OM-1 & Poundland Agfa. Then two from the Pentax P30t - these have been cropped to squares as they're from a couple of overlapped frames that occured when my thum slipped off the advance lever mid-stroke. Agai, on Poundland Agfa.

FILM - Tulips

FILM - The exhibition

FILM - Unintentional square

FILM - Unintentional square-2

And this is what the conjoined frames looked like pre-crop...
View attachment 100242
your not helping my irrational urge to get a P30t :p:Di want one more now,

Last edited:
@RaglanSurf @ChrisR i didnt like it at 800 so i did it at 700 on long side and it worked. i was originally trying 1000 - it obv dislikes me....

Were you trying to "attach a file" on TP? I think there are more complicated rules there, with issues like file size also taken into account. I tried recently; got one pic up but the second one failed.

My usual workflow is to host the pic on an external site (used to be Photobucket until that became too much of a pain in the backside, now flickr) and paste IMG tags (which the hosting sites often provide via a short cut) into the post. Apart from the 1024 pixel limit, that seems to work fine. (I'm trying to remember to keep portrait or square images to 800 pixels max so that people don't have to scroll vertically to see the image.)

I was given a Pentax P30n -- I do not use it much but took it loaded with B&W Ilford Delta 100 to New York --- it has NO 'Exposure Compensation' control which is a bind -- some of my New York Skyline shots in really 'Grotty Weather' with white skies were a bit under-exposed as they need some '+' Exposure Compensation.
NYC 24.jpg NYC 25.jpg NYC 26.jpg

Some from the recent FilmDev download, all shot over Winter, some with a little "Minor Rangefinder cropping"
Konica Auto S2 - Kentmere 400
R2-05481-0009s.jpg
R2-05481-0016sc.jpg

R2-05481-0031s.jpg

I also picked up a vintage "Rank Aldiss" Rangefinder over Winter for less than the price of a film, knew nothing about the Camera except it looked like it was in Good condition.
Here's a couple of shots from it, quite a pleasing little camera, ok the focus ring is a little stiff and metering takes a bit of getting used too, but on the whole for what I paid I think it will be worth loading up with 100ASA again.
Kentmere 400
R3-05482-0021s.jpg

Kentmere 100
R1-05480-0016s.jpg

Some from the recent FilmDev download, all shot over Winter, some with a little "Minor Rangefinder cropping"
Konica Auto S2 - Kentmere 400
R2-05481-0009s.jpg
R2-05481-0016sc.jpg

R2-05481-0031s.jpg

You have achieved some super smooth Kentmere 400 shoots using that film. I have never been able to accomplice that quality with 400 Asa.

I really like the last photograph with that cyclist,reminds me of a young Boris Johnson.I have the Konica S2 Auto as well great rangefinder,but,lets not tell them all. :)

Very good.(y)

Last edited:
Olympus OM-1, F Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 & Poundland Agfa.

Not sure about the composition on this, with the blossoms being centre-frame. I did try a crop, but didn't like the additional grain that resulted from the enlarging effect. I might try a square crop though.

Those are gravestones you can vaguely make out in the backdrop.

FILM - Springtime

Last edited:
The last few frames on B&W on my Pentax P30n + 10/2004 dated Ilford Delta 100 -- I CUT the film and processed only 6 frames in my 'homemade' Microphen 1+1
New York all with 24mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena ( a £10 Boot Fair bargain)
Rectangular Shapes from Big Bus Tour
NYC 36.jpg
New World Trade Centre No. 1
NYC 37.jpg
B&W from the 9/11 Memorial -- I have some COLOUR but film not finished yet.
NYC 38.jpg

went for another walk round the local pond at the weekend and took the Wista out for some fresh air and a few slides full of old fomapan 200! A couple of abstracts and one sensible one. My first portrait with the wista
and my first total stranger who ive walked up to and asked if i could take their pic! Nice chap.

On the Inside Looking Out

Abstraction

Patience

Back