Show us yer film shots then!

I tried freelensing recently, and was really pleased with the results! These are with my Cosina PM-1, a 50mm lens detatched from the body, on Agfa Vista 200. More photos here: https://www.35millimetre.co.uk/2017/08/01/freelensing-is-bestlensing/
Freelensing-7 by Charlotte Davis, on Flickr
Freelensing-3 by Charlotte Davis, on Flickr

Very interesting effects, Charlotte. I've never really got to grips with the idea of freelensing but I followed up some links from your blog. What I don't understand is why it isn't dominated by a huge light leak, holding the lens away from the body!

Very interesting effects, Charlotte. I've never really got to grips with the idea of freelensing but I followed up some links from your blog. What I don't understand is why it isn't dominated by a huge light leak, holding the lens away from the body!
It's possible to angle the body and lens so that most of the direct light is filtered through the lens itself, and you only move the lens away from the body a small amount (literally detach it, hold it against the body, tilt it a bit). Hoping to try b/w next!

If only I had got my shots back from the developers in time, this would probably have been the shot for this month's FPOTY. (Sorry about the frame etc. I got a bit arty on it)

Dee-Sunset1-framed by Andy, on Flickr

A few from Dumfries and Galloway last week.

Wista 45DX, Nikkor 180mm f5.6, Fuji 160NS. Taken from our patio in Kircudbright.
Dee-Sunset-3 by Andy, on Flickr

Voigtlander R4a, Nokton 35mm f1.4, Kodak Ektar 100. Mytilus leaving port.
Mytilus-Leaving-Port by Andy, on Flickr

Rolleiflex Automat, Kodak Ektar 100. Port Patrick.
Port-Patrick-Rope by Andy, on Flickr

Used my 'Gift' Pentax SF-7 at the annual Filipino Festival in Colchester ( Essex, England) on Saturday -- tried out another of my 'Lloyds Pharmacy 200 ASA ( Agfa) film found tucked away in fridge. _ i downrated to 100ASA again and home-processed in C41 -- the Negs seemed a little 'Dense' for scanning and came out 'grainy' . Next test of SF-7 I will use better film. as the day went it got rainy and dark so had to use full aperture of my SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm f4-5.6 and SMC Pentax-F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 and still got a lot spoilt by movement ( MINE and the Subject's!! )
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 + flash

Filipino Festival : Colchester by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm f4-5.6 +Flash

SMC Pentax-F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 at full aperture
SMC Pentax-F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 at full aperture

Some more Olympus Trip 35 & Portra 160 pics.

I know the subject matter might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm very happy with the results I've had from this roll trhough the Trip.

FILM - True love
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Signs of the Mothman

FILM - Somewhere to sit

FILM - Past its best

FILM - Sky pipes

FILM - Up on the roof

FILM - Construction Time Again

FILM - Dub

Last edited:
@pentaxpete I wish I had known about that festival - I live in Clacton - I would have brought the Nikon F601 along.provided I could have found somewhere to park!!!! You got some great photos there.

@Andysnap I'm not sure about your first one as I don't know how much light was available to you BUT, the Voigtlander and the Rolleiflex have most certainly done a fine job for you.

David

David H -- you can park right INSIDE the Colchester Castle upper Park for FREE !! Probably ONLY on Filipino Festival Day though -- you go through a very narrow opening off St Peter's Road off Westway roundabout system. I had a good walk to the Colne River before the entertainment ( and RAIN ! ) started and got some good photos of Swans etc which I will show shortly. There are 'Filipino Barrio Fiestas' on many towns in July-August all over England -- how to find them probably ask Google ?

I shot a roll of Rollei Superpan 200 (135) recently. The last time I shot it (in 120) it was fine, but this roll had come out with very thin negatives. I had a similar thing when I shot some Rollei Retro 400s earlier in the year. I don't think it's anything to do with the processing, and the meter on the camera is fine (as another roll from the same camera I've had developed - Ilford Delta 100 - at the same time is fine). When I shot the Retro 400, it turnerd out upon further investigation that it's best rated at 200asa, but I've not seen anything similar about overexposing Superpan. Having said that, I'm pretty happy with most of the shots. A few of them are no good, but a lot of them have a pleasing, low-key look, and outdoor shots are super contrasty, which I like - such as these.

FILM - Beside the Trent

FILM - Riverside

FILM - Treetops

Here are a few recent shots taken with a variety of cameras. No idea about exposure details but they were all metered manually. Processed by AG.

1312_009 copy.jpg
Back Gate: Fuji 645S Ilford XP2 Super (forgot to switch of automatic sharpening in Epson Scan, i.e it's oversharpened)
1313_006 copy.jpg
Winter Hill: Rolleicord IV Fuji NCN400
1314_008 copy.jpg
Ella: Nikomat FT2 135mm f3.5 TRI-X
1315_032 copy.jpg
Max: Nikomat FT2 Nikkor 135mm f3.5 TRI-X
1317_017 copy.jpg
Molly: Canon F1 FD 100mm f2.8 Kodak 200-8 (the cheap stuff)

And four more...
1318_004 copy.jpg
Adrian: Canon F1 FD 100mm f2.8 Kodak 200-8
1309031 copy.jpg
Scramble: Nikomat FT2 Nikkor 50mm f2 TRI-X (split toned in Lightroom)
1311021 copy.jpg
Max and Bella Rose: Nikomat FT2 Nikkor 50mm f2 TRI-X
1310035 copy.jpg
PB: Nikomat FT2 Nikkor 50mm f2 TRI-X

I only recently started using the Nikomat after it had to be serviced (by Miles Whitehead) because of a shutter release problem. The lenses are astonishingly contrasty compared to my equally superb Canon lenses.

That's a lovely set, Peter. I particularly like the one of Ella, with a whole other story reflected in her glasses! (Are you really reclining on cushions like a Roman Emperor?)

Original Old Buildings in Brentwood by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
The main road through Brentwood was a 'Pilgrims' Route' and the Roman Road to Colchester -- so there are still some 'Old Buildings' left from the Middle Ages -- just before I was born by a few years. I was using up some 1993 Dated ORWO NP22 film in my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM and used my 50mm f4 CFi Distagon T* and 'guessed' 1/250 @ f8 and negative was good! I tried to 'straighten the verticals' in PhotoShop 7.

Bride To Be -- by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Caught in Brentwood High Street as I was using up some 1993 dated ORWO NP22 in my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM -- they were on the 'shadow side' and cried out for a little fill-in FLASH but of course I didn't have a flash with me ! I had to adjust scan in FastStone Image Viewer best I could. I used my 50mm f4 CFi Distagon T* and 'guessed' 1/125 @ f5.5 and negative was good !

Through the Arch by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Using up some 1993 ORWO NP22 film at the 10th Century Beckett Chapel Ruins in Brentwood HIgh Street-- I tried a 'hand-held' 1/60th second stopped down to f18 . There is slight 'Subject Movement' but these Old Hands were still steady !

Last edited:
I went to Beamhurst Museum with the Yashica. It's a strange little place. Stuffed to the rafters with all sorts of oddities. My focussing skills with a range finder are still pants and I also managed to forget what the indicator lights meant so I knackered the exposure on many shots. I now have an idiot label on the back of the camera. :rolleyes:

Beamhurst Museum by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

Here are some more on my 'Gift' PENTAX SF-7 and the 04/2004 dated 'Lloyds Pharmacy ( Agfa) 200 film I rated at 100ASA and processed myself -- they are all by the River Colne in Colchester, Essex ( England) and all on a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens. I used the Built-in Flash for some .
Festival 06.jpg Festival 07.jpg Festival 08.jpg Festival 09.jpg Festival 10.jpg

A few more random Ilford Delta 100 shots from the OM-1. I took these at a classic car event in the centre of Sheffield at the weekend, I've got lots of shots of the cars and bikes too but I'll put the rest in a dedicated thread in From Film once I've uploaded them.

FILM - Cantor at the bottom

FILM - He's a character

FILM - Under surveillance

FILM - Two Paddingtons and a dog

FILM - Zigzags

Looking thru' my JPGs looking for a waterfall shot....these two shots looked pretty pretty and stood out....primrose with razor sharp Minolta 50 f1.7 and 2nd old Meyer 135mm...OOD 4th layer superia 200.... Asda.

Eq71VZn.jpg

Tcn5lQM.jpg

I did photos on my Pentax S3 loaded with 08/2005 outdated 'Tudor' ( FUJI) 100 rated 64 ASA and processed myself and had some 'weird' results -- the negs were a but dense and 'Foggy' looking so loaded another of same batch in to my Minolta Dynax 40 and this time had it processed and printed by BOOTS of Brentwood High Street and rated it at 80 ASA and results were better -- cleaner fog-free negs compared with MY C41 chemicals .
I scanned some of the Boots 6x4 inch prints to show you
Over the 20MPH limit ? by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Pensioners Shopping Rush hour by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Must have said something Funny ! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Dynax Test on 'Tudor' film by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

That is fantastic, Jonathan! Fantastic colours, great amount of movement in the sea and the image quality is some of the best I've seen on here.

I also love that part of the north cornwall coast!

Back