Show us yer film shots then!

Thanks Nige, just a bit annoyed that I clipped the lhs of the flower.

My OCD did spot that, but I felt it polite not to say anything. :)

It's still a lovely shot - the low key light and deep blacks really work well.

I sometimes process my pictures to drop a lot of the blacks down, but then I chicken out and bring them back up so there's very little clipping as I'm concerned that what looks nice on my PC might look less so elsewhere. You've encouraged me to maybe be a little more adventurous though.

Perhaps I'll do a few tests and put them up for critique on here. :)

Thanks Nige, just a bit annoyed that I clipped the lhs of the flower.
Like Nige I wasn't going to mention clipping the edge but now you have ...

WTF were you thinking?

I sometimes process my pictures to drop a lot of the blacks down, but then I chicken out and bring them back up so there's very little clipping as I'm concerned that what looks nice on my PC might look less so elsewhere. You've encouraged me to maybe be a little more adventurous though.

I think you should hold to what works for you, and let others take their chances. There's no way of governing what others see. The sensible way to me, as a photographer, is to set up the in-house display with printing in mind as regards brightness, because that's a key purpose. But, equally, I haven't noticed a conflict when seeing my images on other people's devices.

My OCD did spot that, but I felt it polite not to say anything. :)

It's still a lovely shot - the low key light and deep blacks really work well.

Oh I wouldn't know anything about clipping and the like, I just fiddle about till it looks ok to my eyes.

Like Nige I wasn't going to mention clipping the edge but now you have ...

WTF were you thinking?

I don't do thinking, far too complicated. :D

A couple from the Royal Mile at Edinburgh Festival:

1708EPMXBW06 by Chris R, on Flickr

1708EPMXBW04 by Chris R, on Flickr

Pity about the didgeridoo over the child's face in the second one. I wish I could claim the rim lighting effect was deliberate... oh, of course it was... wasn't it?

Both Tri-X at 400 in a Pentax MX with the Pentax-M 35-70 f/2.8-3.5. It was hard to focus, but works nicely when I get it right. Or got it right. That lens was on the Pentax LX I threw on some rocks when I went backside over elbow at Queensferry the other week. Still lovely and sharp this side of infinity but won't quite focus all the way, also very stiff. Uncle Miles says £45 plus P&P but doesn't want either until October because he wants to clear his backlog.

So, here's a quick edit of a shot to really drop the blacks. The photo was underexposed to start with and covered in dust spots, but the lack of shadow detail works quite well to my eyes (and on my monitor). Large swathes of the image are pure black with no shadow detail remaining at all. What do other people think though?

OM-1 & Rollei Superpan 200.

FILM - Low-key vases
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
So, here's a quick edit of a shot to really drop the blacks. The photo was underexposed to start with and covered in dust spots, but the lack of shadow detail works quite well to my eyes (and on my monitor). Large swathes of the image are pure black with no shadow detail remaining at all. What do other people think though?

OM-1 & Rollei Superpan 200.

FILM - Low-key vases
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr
That really works for me, I really like the compressed black look.

Works for me, really highlights the window glass and the outside.

Works for me, really highlights the window glass and the outside.

I always prefer black and white images that have some actual black tones in. I've never been a fan of the dark grey look.

Thanks. I shall endeavour to be more daring with the blacks in future. :)

Ansel Adams was....

A few more of the kids

1. Nikon F3, 50mm F1.4 and Ektar 100 film.

Brooke - F3 Ektar by Michael Carver, on Flickr

2. Yashica Minister rangefinder but I screwed a macro filter over the end to get closer and reduce the depth of field. Again, Ektar 100

Reece - Yashica Minister by Michael Carver, on Flickr

3. Yashica YL rangefinder with Ekar but Ive flipped it to mono because the sunset tones were really red

Yashica - YL by Michael Carver, on Flickr

Excellent set, 2 is stunning.

Hi Michael
Was that shot deliberate or an accident...not criticising just trying to understand it o_O

Yeah - I shoot a lot of landscapes, Im one of the in house pro's for Vanguard. When Im out shooting with film I like to experiment and do stuff I wouldn't normally when shooting digital. It might not be for everyone and you might not understand it but I guess thats the beauty of photography (y)

Yeah - I shoot a lot of landscapes, Im one of the in house pro's for Vanguard. When Im out shooting with film I like to experiment and do stuff I wouldn't normally when shooting digital. It might not be for everyone and you might not understand it but I guess thats the beauty of photography (y)

I like the ethereal look to it, rather like some of those Cadbury's Flake TV adverts of the 1970s.

I love it, intriguing and interesting.

Great to catch up with this thread, there's wonderful and inspiring photographs on every page! And Andy's posted some of his too. (y)

Oi! ..... Oh, right yes, I see what you mean. :D

Gormley at the UEA

Fujica GS645W, Kodak Portra 160, rated at 80 ASA
36716063481_d16b463f47_b.jpg

Pentax 645N, Pentax 67 90mm f2.8, Kodak Portra 160 rated at 80 ASA
36458268690_5f4cf79722_b.jpg

Pentax 645N, Pentax 67 90mm f2.8, Kodak Portra 160 rated at 80 ASA
36457940210_c7d9884caa_b.jpg

Pentax 645N, Pentax 67 90mm f2.8, Kodak Portra 160 rated at 80 ASA (very under exposed)
36722859931_c42ac06955_b.jpg

Last edited:
Some Voigtlander-ness

R4a with the Nokton 35mm f1.4
Powerhouse by Andy, on Flickr
Entrance by Andy, on Flickr
The-Door1 by Andy, on Flickr

And some on my newly acquired Voigtlander Bessamatic with the standard 50mm f2.8 lens. I'd had a Bessamatic before and I'd also forgotten how flippin' wonderful and sharp the lenses are.
Bike1 by Andy, on Flickr
Station-Steps by Andy, on Flickr

Not a selfie. This was taken by my great-nephew Louis who is 4 and wanted to know why he couldn't see the picture... try explaining that one then. :D
Me-by-Louie by Andy, on Flickr

The picture that Louis took makes it look like you have hair :thinking::whistle:

Last edited:
Back