Show us yer film shots then!

Gorgeous shot @Andysnap - it's a beautiful subject, looks lovely in this light.

Thanks Charlotte, I've got some to develop that were taken inside the cathedral that I'm hopeful are going to be interesting.

Bit of front rise there, Andy?

Some good atmospheric shots there, Charlotte, but I think the grain should be a lot finer than that. Was the film still in date? If so, they might be a stop or two underexposed as this can cause grain to appear on fast print film, have you checked the camera's meter at 800 ISO, as it could be a bit out up there but more accurate in the 100 to 400 range so going undetected the rest of the time?

Failing that, try a roll of Kodak Portra 800 next time as the grain is quite fine for an 800 ISO film. The one below was taken on 35mm Portra 800 (shame I didn't get the depth of field right, I was struggling with low light, but it should give you an idea of what to expect, even in the darker areas).

Model of Poynton C1900 at the Anson Museum, Poynton, Cheshire. Canon EOS-3, 24-104 f/4.

Last edited:
Some good atmospheric shots there, Charlotte, but I think the grain should be a lot finer than that. Was the film still in date? If so, they might be a stop or two underexposed as this can cause grain to appear on fast print film, have you checked the camera's meter at 800 ISO, as it could be a bit out up there but more accurate in the 100 to 400 range so going undetected the rest of the time?

You could be right on both counts to be honest - I didn't check the expiry date of the film - I'll have a poke around in The film Drawer (salad crisper in the fridge) and see if I have another roll. I'll check the meter in the Cosina too - I did have it serviced a few years ago but it was by Mr Cad and I'd be surprised if he adjusted the meter at all. Thanks for the tips!

Failing that, try a roll of Kodak Portra 800 next time as the grain is quite fine for an 800 ISO film. The one below was taken on 35mm Portra 800 (shame I didn't get the depth of field right, I was struggling with low light, but it should give you an idea of what to expect, even in the darker areas).

Model of Poynton C1900 at the Anson Museum, Poynton, Cheshire. Canon EOS-3, 24-104 f/4.

Lovely but a case for Scheimpflug principle or tilt and shift lens o_O ;)

A case for using f/11 or f/16 and a tripod instead of f/4 and IS to cope with the low light! Trouble is, the model is very large and there's only really enough room for two people to pass on either side of it; setting up a tripod would block access to a complete side, so would need to be done with prior permission and agreement with the museum, at a time when there were no paying public to get in the way or complain about badgers and tripods. ;)

Last edited:
Another from Wells Cathedral. I actually got up early and was inside the cathedral at about 07.15 as I was hoping the sunrise would flood through the large stained glass window in the east end of the church, it didn't quite work but I'm still happy with the result.

Wista Field 45, OOD Fuji 160NS, Fujinon 135mm f5.6 lens.

Wells-Cathedral-Inside by Andy, on Flickr

Another from Wells Cathedral. I actually got up early and was inside the cathedral at about 07.15 as I was hoping the sunrise would flood through the large stained glass window in the east end of the church, it didn't quite work but I'm still happy with the result.

Wista Field 45, OOD Fuji 160NS, Fujinon 135mm f5.6 lens.

Wells-Cathedral-Inside by Andy, on Flickr
It’s so good to see you getting to grips with the large format camera Andy, getting some really great results too :clap:

It’s so good to see you getting to grips with the large format camera Andy, getting some really great results too :clap:

Yes, I decided to stop wingeing and get on with it especially as I'll soon have 2 large format cameras. :D

Is that a normal Chesterfield market or do they have a special 2nd hand market going on? (Asking as that tool stall looks like it would interest my Dad).

There’s a flea-market on Thursdays, which is when I took these. I think it’s on all day, but I once went at lunchtime and some of the stalls were packing up, so I’d advise going in the morning.

There’re some interesting stalls, and it’s nice for street-photography shots.

Thanks Nigel, I haven't been to Chesterfield since I was school age. I'll have to keep an eye on the weather and see if I can combine it with a photowalk.

One from a recent trip to Liverpool with the Xpan

19842-1522527098-29589ad832d87dde1888e88b0644746d.jpg

Another pinhole with the Intrepid 4*5 and TMax 100. This one was cropped to 6*12 to remove the sky, so I could have used a roll film pinhole such as my Ondu mult-format. But the Intrepid does give the advantage of effectively allowing a continously variable projection distance between 75mm and 150mm, by extending the belows as required.

Seaton Sluice pinhole
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Once again, haven't shot or posted anything for a while. :(. Have a few films from a recent 12 days in Scotland that need shipping to the lab.

I still have soooo many unpublished photos from Iceland, Venice Beach, San Francisco. Just dunno what to do with them all, it seems such a waste of film + processing with them just sad on a hard drive. Anyways, here's one from last Spring when I owned this little Mini Cooper briefly.

Pentax 67ii + Kodak Ektar +1 stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have soooo many unpublished photos from Iceland, Venice Beach, San Francisco. Just dunno what to do with them all, it seems such a waste of film + processing with them just sad on a hard drive.

Why is it a waste
What do you think you should be doing with them
I have thousands of negs I've not even scanned never mind published
Is this a shoot for myself > then shoot for somebody else > forgot why I shot for myself, thing.
Or a compelling online/social media participation thing....or neither

I try and rate all my shots (and sometimes go back and rate them again, finding new ones I like). The 4 and 5 star ones (by my own personal system, not any external measure... and they're rather rare) automatically get shown (to me) as part of a random slideshow screensaver. At least I get to see them every now and again! I also try to print some, although an idea I had for a changing set of A3 prints rather lost out to the Director of Decorative Arts... :)

I often make a book of our holiday shots and occasionally I'll make one of a project, in 2017 I made one with shots taken in the Lakes the previous year.
We have quite a collection now and its nice to have a look occasionally at past jaunts.
I only have 6 or 7 shots printed and framed but these do get swapped around sometimes for newer shots.

Once again, haven't shot or posted anything for a while. :(. Have a few films from a recent 12 days in Scotland that need shipping to the lab.

I still have soooo many unpublished photos from Iceland, Venice Beach, San Francisco. Just dunno what to do with them all, it seems such a waste of film + processing with them just sad on a hard drive. Anyways, here's one from last Spring when I owned this little Mini Cooper briefly.

Pentax 67ii + Kodak Ektar +1 stop.

Lovely photo (and car).

Sounds to me like you need to get stuck into some serious editing and printing. And if you don't have time, those negatives will be around for decades. There's no rush :)

Why is it a waste
What do you think you should be doing with them
I have thousands of negs I've not even scanned never mind published
Is this a shoot for myself > then shoot for somebody else > forgot why I shot for myself, thing.
Or a compelling online/social media participation thing....or neither

Good points to consider. Firstly of course, I do it for myself, especially now I am no longer shooting weddings, etc. But it would be nice to have an outlet I think, whether that was a website or whatever...perhaps just blogging about my travels or something. I dunno.

Lovely photo (and car).

Sounds to me like you need to get stuck into some serious editing and printing. And if you don't have time, those negatives will be around for decades. There's no rush :)

It was a lovely car, I kinda miss it. :( Maybe another one day......maybe. Yeah possibly, I definitely have the time. :)

Absolutely love that, the dark tones in the rocks with the smooth water and the lovely subtle sky is great. That needs printing and framing for sure :clap:

Absolutely love that, the dark tones in the rocks with the smooth water and the lovely subtle sky is great. That needs printing and framing for sure :clap:
I really do like that Jonathan...

Many thanks! :) I have to admit, I was umming and ahhing about it for ages, never having tried that crop until a few nights ago. Got to love LF though, the crop from original res is still 11,000x4,000 :D

I think I need a 617. *looks at @stevelmx5 *

Back