Show us yer film shots then!

Simple Simon says....

rr5jbp.jpg

A couple from my first ever roll of Tri-X on the Bronica ETRS - bit disappointed if I'm brutally honest, I thought they would be nicer than they are, maybe down to user error! Ho hum, I have 5 rolls of HP5 sitting here, so will see how they look.

What is it about them that you're unhappy with? It looks like the light on the day was pretty flat with some mist, which is not always the best in terms of flattering images of wider scenes such as these. The beach shot works best IMO as it takes advantage of the conditions in the composition.

I remember getting the results from my first roll of HP5+ (shot on a dull overcast day) and being similarly disappointed with most of the shots. I wondered what all the fuss was about the film, but since then it's grown to be a firm favourite, so don't be too disheartened on your first go with Tri-X. There's a reason for it being such a popular choice, and it's worth giving it another chance for sure. :)

What is it about them that you're unhappy with? It looks like the light on the day was pretty flat with some mist, which is not always the best in terms of flattering images of wider scenes such as these. The beach shot works best IMO as it takes advantage of the conditions in the composition.

I remember getting the results from my first roll of HP5+ (shot on a dull overcast day) and being similarly disappointed with most of the shots. I wondered what all the fuss was about the film, but since then it's grown to be a firm favourite, so don't be too disheartened on your first go with Tri-X. There's a reason for it being such a popular choice, and it's worth giving it another chance for sure. :)

Thanks for commenting - maybe the light was a bit flat, perhaps I was just expecting too much having seen so many great photos over time shot with Tri-X. It certainly won’t stop me trying it again, I just happen to have 5 rolls of HP5 to work with - bit cheaper to learn film with :)

A couple more classic autos. Shot on Sunday at a local car meet on the Bronica ETRS with Portra 400. Definitely my favourite film stock.

Feels like I'm slowly starting to get to grips with the ETRS, still need to practice more, I guessed the exposure based on shooting the film at ISO200, perhaps I still need to ask for a +1 on developing as I seem to bump the exposure in Lightroom a little at times.

#005_ETRS_P400100
by Dave Young, on Flickr

#005_ETRS_P400101
by Dave Young, on Flickr

I guessed the exposure based on shooting the film at ISO200, perhaps I still need to ask for a +1 on developing as I seem to bump the exposure in Lightroom a little at times.

A +1 in development (i.e., pushing) will just result in additional contrast, not an increase in exposure or a brighter photograph.

Assuming your negatives are not underexposed, which introduces other variables into the mix, you might be able to ask the lab to adjust their scans to suit your preferences going forward. Some of the better labs will often take note of your preferences for colour, contrast, and brightness, for example. I don't know what your lab offers, but here are some samples of scans adjusted to suit customer preferences: Carmencita Film Lab.

Last edited:
A +1 in development (i.e., pushing) will just result in additional contrast, not an increase in exposure or a brighter photograph.

Assuming your negatives are not underexposed, which introduces other variables into the mix, you might be able to ask the lab to adjust their scans to suit your preferences going forward. Some of the better labs will often take note of your preferences for colour, contrast, and brightness, for example. I don't know what your lab offers, but here are some samples of scans adjusted to suit customer preferences: Carmencita Film Lab.

Oh Gawd! I still have so much to learn don't I?! :D Thanks for that, I'm not sure how much latitude FilmDev offer for such things, whom I usually use for processing my film.

Oh Gawd! I still have so much to learn don't I?! :D Thanks for that, I'm not sure how much latitude FilmDev offer for such things, whom I usually use for processing my film.
Give them a ring and ask. Certainly in the early days we often had discussions about how I wanted my scans.

Several weeks back, we were in Edinburgh, just before (and during) The "beast from the East" attack. I went for a wander in Holyrood Park one afternoon. I think this is my most successful image of St Anthony's Chapel yet:

000019610010 by Chris R, on Flickr

From nearby, I thought this view across to Calton Hill really worked:

000019610014 by Chris R, on Flickr

So that was before... During the beastly attack (about day 2 I think) I thought there was a break in the relentless snow, so went out into the park again, near Holyrood Palace, and climbed the hill a bit. An extraordinary number of people were there. Unfortunately the snow came back with a vengeance and the wind got up fiercely so it was a horizontal blizzard (though moving too fast to show up in these shots)! I was trying to channel my inner Bruce Percy, thought this one worked fairly well:

000019610025 by Chris R, on Flickr

This last was taken balanced on the edge of an icy path, trying desperately not to be blown over!

000019610027 by Chris R, on Flickr

All Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70/2.8, Superia 400, on a monopod.

1330_001 copy.jpg
1330_001 Pete (me!) in the office.
Horseman 760 6x9 technical camera, Horseman 65mm lens on Kodak Pro 160 negative film.
Fill light provided by 500W floodlamp.
1331_001 copy.jpg
1331_001 Rum
Horseman 760 6x9 technical camera, Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 lens (making it a slightly wide standard focal length) on Kodak Pro 160 negative film.
1332_004 copy.jpg
1332_004 Prayer book ca 1711
Horseman 760 6x9 technical camera, Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 lens on Kodak Pro 160 negative film.
Needed more front tilt or a higher viewpoint. The Horseman movements are limited to shift, rise, back tilt (front standard) and front tilt by dropping the camera bed.
1334_011 copy.jpg
1334_011 Molly
Rolleicord IV, TRI-X.
1335_023 copy.jpg
1335_023 Nic
Leica IIIA 50/3.5 Elmar, HP5.

View attachment 125601
1330_001 Pete (me!) in the office.
Horseman 760 6x9 technical camera, Horseman 65mm lens on Kodak Pro 160 negative film.
Fill light provided by 500W floodlamp.
View attachment 125602
1331_001 Rum
Horseman 760 6x9 technical camera, Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 lens (making it a slightly wide standard focal length) on Kodak Pro 160 negative film.
View attachment 125603
1332_004 Prayer book ca 1711
Horseman 760 6x9 technical camera, Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 lens on Kodak Pro 160 negative film.
Needed more front tilt or a higher viewpoint. The Horseman movements are limited to shift, rise, back tilt (front standard) and front tilt by dropping the camera bed.
View attachment 125604
1334_011 Molly
Rolleicord IV, TRI-X.
View attachment 125605
1335_023 Nic
Leica IIIA 50/3.5 Elmar, HP5.

Love 'Molly'; the Rollei image is fantastic :)

Back