Show us yer film shots then!

I had pretty much given up on 35mm b&w as I was getting far better results with 120, but there's effectively no cost in using up OOD 35mm devved in a few drops of Rodinal, so I'll just shoot it anyway. For comparison purposes, here's an HP5+ shot taken on a Yashicamat late last year and it has far less grain than the 35mm FP4+ shots.
View attachment 121907

The way to go Peter nearly free from grain shot (y) but yours (and others) choice for grain in shots as some love lots of grain....although would agree in some shots lots of grain works.

Haven't really shot anything worthwhile on film recently. I did get some test shots back from my first rolls of slide (Velvia 50). Real pain to scan or maybe my exposures are off (don't have a lightbox to judge, a lot of them seem dark, if I hold them real close to a desklamp I can see a lot of shadow detail that the scanner is missing).

Olympus OM-1.

Rolleicord Vb

Can only seem to bracket in full stops with the above cameras rather than the preferred 1/2 or 1/3 stops.

Nice.. How did you meter the shots? yes scanners will not do justice with velvia!

I bought a late 1930s Voigtlander Bessa 46 camera and have just had the test film developed and scanned by Ag Photo - arrived here this morning. Quite impressed with this. Film was Ilford FP4+ but do not know the developer. I used a Zeiss Ikon Ikophot selenium light meter (early 1960s as it uses the later ASA scale) to judge light levels.

Bessa 46-6-40.jpg Bessa 46-13-41.jpg Bessa 46-3-39.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a late 1930s Voigtlander Bessa 46 camera and have just had the test film developed and scanned by Ag Photo - arrived here this morning. Quite impressed with this. Film was Ilford FP4+ but do not know the developer. I used a Zeiss Ikon Ikophot selenium light meter (early 1960s as it uses the later ASA scale) to judge light levels.

View attachment 122259 View attachment 122260 View attachment 122261
Are the first and last shots Lincoln John? They look rather familiar.

They are - my home town. The other is Flamborough lighthouse.
Spent many happy holidays in Lincoln back in the 60’s, my grandparents lived in in the city.

Lincoln is slightly south of Sheffield, below Hull, a bit north of Nottingham. Beyond that, there be monsters and I don't go.

Luton is well south!

This chap only appears rarely busking in Lincoln. Buskers are one of my perpetual themes. Where he plays is awkward for photography as the walkway is very busy, even if it doesn't look so in the picture so it is hard to take your time with things - hence a hurried shot.
busker-1.jpg

I'm not sure why this shot has gathered so much grain - it's been processed in the same way as the others from the same roll and they don't exhibit half as much. It's a good job I don't mind grainy pictures, I suppose.

Nikon F70, Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-D & Ilford HP5+

FILM - Figures in a landscape
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I'm not sure why this shot has gathered so much grain - it's been processed in the same way as the others from the same roll and they don't exhibit half as much. It's a good job I don't mind grainy pictures, I suppose.

I think the grain gives this shot a lot of character, given then ‘bare’ scene. I like it

27033917868_0ffd315fb3_b.jpg

Keflavik, Iceland
Minolta MD 28mm | Provia 100F

Grasping at straws, was the shot well exposed? If not, the scanning workflow might perhaps end up amplifying the grain while correcting the exposure?

Grasping at straws, was the shot well exposed? If not, the scanning workflow might perhaps end up amplifying the grain while correcting the exposure?

It's possible. Although it wasn't bright, there was a lot of white snow and light mist so the camera might've compensated, but most of the other shots are fine, and the F70 seems to meter pretty well. I'd have to look at the negative again to be sure - I might've brightened it at the scanning stage and added some noise as a result.

A couple from a first test roll on the Bronica ETRS I got last Friday. Need to consider my metering as I've had to raise the exposure some in LR to get them where I really want them, albeit the weather (and subjects) were rather flat and not very contrasty. Also need to think more about focussing as I think it's a bit off on some of the images I took.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy for a first effort with 120mm, it gives me just the look and feel I want from my photographs. :)

by Dave Young, on Flickr

by Dave Young, on Flickr

by Dave Young, on Flickr

by Dave Young, on Flickr

Also need to think more about focussing as I think it's a bit off on some of the images I took.
I found the same when I dug out my SQB a couple of weeks ago. I wear varifocals and I'm not clear in my own mind about using them with the WLF, even less so with the flip-up magnifier. :( I'll maybe just stick to faraway landscapes!

I found the same when I dug out my SQB a couple of weeks ago. I wear varifocals and I'm not clear in my own mind about using them with the WLF, even less so with the flip-up magnifier. :( I'll maybe just stick to faraway landscapes!

Agreed. Think it could well be my dodgy eyesight even with glasses! :D

Nice colours in that, reminds me of Velvia 100F but without the punch in the nose blues

Thanks John - Quite pleased with the scan as the Pakon 135 isn't meant to be able to scan slide film. It didn't need much more than the blacks lifting a bit.

Back