Show us yer film shots then!

I've been wanting to start a new project for a little while now, and waves are something that have always interested me, so I thought I can make a project out of that! Sadly, because Cornwall is a little far from where I live, this'll be a "take as many as I can on the few occasions I get" approach, but I can at least bit a bit more trigger happy with roll film at the time :D Anyway, here's the first of a moderate few, where waves are the key element. Hope you like :)

Project Waves; One by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very powerful image, I do like that a lot.(y)

I've been wanting to start a new project for a little while now, and waves are something that have always interested me, so I thought I can make a project out of that! Sadly, because Cornwall is a little far from where I live, this'll be a "take as many as I can on the few occasions I get" approach, but I can at least bit a bit more trigger happy with roll film at the time :D Anyway, here's the first of a moderate few, where waves are the key element. Hope you like :)

Like it? - Love it!!!

@pentaxpete identified a magenta colour cast in my previous pictures that I'm struggling to see :-(

Please can anyone else see the casts - I need to know if my eyes are fubbared!

Black Country 9 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 6003, Rollei PQ 80mm f2.8, Kodak Porta 160.

No casts as far as I can see - close to the colours that were there (my monitor is colour calibrated) same with the mine. Those wooden headsticks were an odd colour (not real black) - but colour picking white clouds comes out as pure white.

@pentaxpete identified a magenta colour cast in my previous pictures that I'm struggling to see :-(

Please can anyone else see the casts - I need to know if my eyes are fubbared!

Black Country 9 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 6003, Rollei PQ 80mm f2.8, Kodak Porta 160.
I can't see any magenta cast, nor can I see a magenta cast in your previous 'coal mine' photos. Perhaps it's just down to viewing on different devices/ monitors?

Really like this mate, however if I were to be incredibly picky:

The horizon looks to be just a gnats off horizontal.
I'd personally like to see a little bit more of the left hand side, it feels a little bit squeezed.
And finally, if next time you could arrange a small sail boat to be included in the crashing waves that would be perfect. :D
As I say, I'm being incredibly picky, this is actually a really lovely image, very powerful and dramatic.

Andy

Just a slight Magenta cast...and using "auto color" in Photoshop didn't seem to work perfectly, so went to color balance using the sliders, and on my monitor, had to slide magenta to green and then yellow to blue.....all nit picking and it's just what looks OK to me and others might choose different settings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very powerful image, I do like that a lot.(y)

Like it? - Love it!!!

Many thanks chaps :)

Really like this mate, however if I were to be incredibly picky:

The horizon looks to be just a gnats off horizontal.
I'd personally like to see a little bit more of the left hand side, it feels a little bit squeezed.
And finally, if next time you could arrange a small sail boat to be included in the crashing waves that would be perfect. :D
As I say, I'm being incredibly picky, this is actually a really lovely image, very powerful and dramatic.

Andy

Appreciate the feedback fella :)

You're quite right, the horizon is off. I'll get that fixed :D
With regard to the sail boat, I've only ever lucked out on that once (and no, it was never a time in Cornwall sadly! See here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/woodsy2k/8266770026 )
About the left hand side, I appreciate what you mean. So the shortest lens I had on me was a 105-210, and I'm 99% sure this was at 105mm (with a little cropped off the bottom because it didn't add anything to the composition). The issue with the left side is that there's nothing really there other than black rock, and so turning to the left put the headland in the very top right, which kind of lead the eye away from the middle and out of the frame. I also wanted to keep the focal lengths as long as I could, so as to maintain relative size perspective; something I feel is lost with wider angle lenses.

Lovely stuff, Jonathan. You've certainly got the sense of scale and power right here.

Have you seen the work of Rachael Talibert? I really like it, but suspect she uses rapid fire digital, and it would be hard to do something similar with film without a huge amount of luck.

Can you not get to Dorset or Devon a bit more easily? I know it's not the same, but in the right weather conditions there could be some very dramatic wave shots. Lyme Regis for example, if you'd consider human-scapes!

Lovely stuff, Jonathan. You've certainly got the sense of scale and power right here.

Have you seen the work of Rachael Talibert? I really like it, but suspect she uses rapid fire digital, and it would be hard to do something similar with film without a huge amount of luck.

Can you not get to Dorset or Devon a bit more easily? I know it's not the same, but in the right weather conditions there could be some very dramatic wave shots. Lyme Regis for example, if you'd consider human-scapes!

Many thanks chap!

I had not, no, but on looking, I really like her work! Shooting this sort of thing on digital really does make life a hell of a lot easier in so many ways!

Dorset and Devon are considerably easier to get to, yes, and indeed I'd not turn down going there just because it's not Cornwall. Mupe bay is probably my nearest go-to location, but places that are not atlantic facing really do need some aggressive seas.

Now thats a corker. (y)

You really had much better conditions than we had the week before.

Whitstable with Konica S2 Auto
z1iSfDN.jpg

A few from last Saturday's F&C trip to the Black Country Living Museum. AG Photolab was lighting fast again, posted on Monday, developed and scanned the same day and received back today (Weds).

It's that coal truck again!

Coal by J White, on Flickr

Engine house (I can go square too!)

Engine house by J White, on Flickr

Cottage interior, a coal fire lit despite the hot weather, apparently it's the only way for them to boil water to make a cup of tea!

Cottage by J White, on Flickr

A cottage exterior, is that leaning due to lens perspective distortion? No, the place is falling over!

25220017 by J White, on Flickr

Time for tea. :)

25220036 by J White, on Flickr

Canon EOS-3, Canon 28-135 IS, Kodak Ektar 100.

Last edited:
A few from last Saturday's F&C trip to the Black Country Living Museum. AG Photolab was lighting fast again, posted on Monday, developed and scanned the same day and received back today (Weds).

It's that coal truck again!

Coal by J White, on Flickr

Engine house (I can go square too!)

Engine house by J White, on Flickr

Cottage interior, a coal fire lit despite the hot weather, apparently it's the only way to boil water to make a cup of tea!

Cottage by J White, on Flickr

A cottage exterior, is that leaning down to lens perspective distortion? No, the place is falling over!

25220017 by J White, on Flickr

Time for tea. :)

25220036 by J White, on Flickr

Canon EOS-3, Canon 28-135 IS, Kodak Ektar 100.

Fantastic set of images - loving these :)

Honest I was not trying to spoil @Mr Badger 's prize winning shot but apparently I was in his wide angle frame.

David, you are in my shot

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

and how many shots of a coal truck do we need ?

That coal truck again

and these photographers sneak into so many shots @Fraser Euan White and Mr Badger - and yes that is the strap from the XA dangling in front of the lens.

Two photographers reflecting over biscuits

and my lesson for this meet up - when loading up the XA with film check that you have picked up the right film -- I'm sure the in date Superia Xtra that is still in the fridge would not have given me as many problems in colour balance as the roll I did load which I think I picked up with a camera at a car boot years ago ......

Last edited:
As lunchtime approached our photos seemed to develop a bit of a theme... here's the chippy!

Chip Shop by J White, on Flickr

Which is decorated with some fantastic tiled portraits of fish - it's amazing they managed to remove them from the original building without breaking them all.

Fish by J White, on Flickr

And has the original vintage frying range, which still does a very good job, as the 15 minute queue to get into the shop shows!

Chippy by J White, on Flickr

Canon EOS-3, 28-135 IS, Kodak Ektar 100.

I love the one of the bus; I got the memory of the smell of the interior of a 1960s bus just by looking at it (people of a certain age will probably remember what I'm talking about).

I love the one of the bus; I got the memory of the smell of the interior of a 1960s bus just by looking at it (people of a certain age will probably remember what I'm talking about).

Well I suppose most people have been on a tram but less so the trolley bus, it was quite amusing (erm if not in a hurry) if the driver took a corner too wide and the arms come off the overhead cables...the driver had a long poll and used to hook them back on again. o_O

Many thanks chap :)

Magenta? I can’t see a magenta cast on my monitors? They are calibrated, but that may have slipped. Anyone else see it?
I can’t but that means nothing, you need the eagle eyes of @Andysnap

Magenta? I can’t see a magenta cast on my monitors? They are calibrated, but that may have slipped. Anyone else see it?

I saw a slight hint of magenta on my uncalibrated work monitors, and less of a hint still at home on another uncalibrated monitor.

Magenta..... another example of FAKE NEWS :D

I can’t but that means nothing, you need the eagle eyes of @Andysnap
I saw a slight hint of magenta on my uncalibrated work monitors, and less of a hint still at home on another uncalibrated monitor.

At which point I have to rather shame-facedly (is that really a word?) admit the my MacBook Pro is not calibrated. And like...
Magenta..... another example of FAKE NEWS :D

I probably don't really know what magenta is anyway. But the shadow parts of some of those bits of white water look positively purple on my screen! Glad to know it's not really there...:coat:

At which point I have to rather shame-facedly (is that really a word?) admit the my MacBook Pro is not calibrated. And like...

I probably don't really know what magenta is anyway. But the shadow parts of some of those bits of white water look positively purple on my screen! Glad to know it's not really there...:coat:
Reminds me of a part of a book called "Children's letters to God"

Dear God, I didn’t think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset You made on Tuesday. That was cool. Eugene.

My monitor was calibrated a loooong time ago, so it must have drifted. That said, the various photos that have been said to have a magenta cast have one on my screen viewed with my eyes. Is it possible to settle this by using the Photoshop eyedropper on a genuinely grey patch and seeing if there is a cast?

If it is OK with @Woodsy can I post a small section of your picture captured from Flickr and put side by side with the same bit reduced in the mystical magenta and also what Photoshop auto algorithm does with the colour balance?

Back