Show us yer film shots then!

Managed a couple of hours out just for me and took the 6x17 down to Shakerly Mere.

2022-03-05-ortho80-tommy-04.jpg
Tomiyama Art Pano 170, Ilford Ortho Plus in DD-X

51921641745_388933cb04_h.jpg

Fomapan 100 135, Ilford ID-11 1+3, 16 min.

Last edited:
Here's a few from my archives, all taken in Malaysia in the 80's when I was back packing around SE Asia.
I think the camera was a Canon T70 and I was using a Sigma 35-135 lens, not sure what film was used but either Fuji or Kodak slide film.

Malaysia 1.jpg

Malaysia 2.jpg

Malaysia 3.jpg

Blimey, that's a blast from the past. I grew up just 2 miles form there in Milton Road, Hoyland just beside the ponds. Nice to see the old PO still standing proud. (y)

I was lucky to get the picture without cars or vans in the way. I tried twice before getting this one, so the place must be doing reasonable trade.

For a few years every time I've seen these crops anywhere, I'm drawn to them to take a photograph and I'm always left wanting by the result I get. I think this is finally the shot that I've been after all this time. It seems so simple when I look at it now but it's eluded me before. The question is will I stop shooting it or carry on? :LOL:

Crop by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr
You should carry on. Once you've mastered barley there's rye and wheat.....

Fujica GW690
Fomapan 400 (shot as 200asa and lab developed at box speed)

More cottages by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Roadside cottages by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr
Not just because it's my old stomping ground Nige I should say that I think your shots are great. There is a cleanliness and clarity that I don't seem to get with B&W (Tri-X) and I don't think it's rose tinted glasses. I find I get cleaner B&W files converting Portra to B&W in Lightroom than using Tri-X.

Not just because it's my old stomping ground Nige I should say that I think your shots are great. There is a cleanliness and clarity that I don't seem to get with B&W (Tri-X) and I don't think it's rose tinted glasses. I find I get cleaner B&W files converting Portra to B&W in Lightroom than using Tri-X.

Thanks Paul. I think a lot of it comes down to the initial scan settings, and then some sharpening and post processing. A lot of the time my initial scans can look quite flat, but there's always some detail and "pop" to be found in the virtual darkroom. :)

West Wheal Basset Stamps, Carnkie.

W8h1Ah.jpg

gPq4yo.jpg

iklm3R.jpg

UG1ovA.jpg

EryTuh.jpg

hThSpz.jpg

The photos show the Stamps Engine, Vanning House, Buddles and Arsenic Calciner, the processing plant for Wheal Basset Ltd, which included Wheal Basset, West Wheal Basset, and South Wheal Frances. The company exploited the rich tin reserves of the Great Flat Lode, below the reverse slopes of Carn Brea, Redruth. It was wound up in 1918.

Pentax ES/HP5/ID11, taken in 1980.

Yashicamat 124G with Shanghai GP3 film developed in HC110:

At Beamish Museum by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

From a trip to Marsden in South Tyneside today.

Rock detail at Marsden, South Tyneside by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Camera: Intrepid 4x5
Film:Fomapan 100
Developer: HC110 Dilution H

More rocks

Rock details at Marsden by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Camera: Intrepid 4x5
Film:Fomapan 100
Developer: HC110 Dilution H
The tones in these are excellent, it just shows you don't need to spend a fortune on Tri-X and Acros.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick - the Fomapan 100 cost me just 65p per 5x4 sheet - which actually makes it cheaper per frame that some other films would be in medium format.
Fomapan 100 is imo darned good in formats of 5x4 and upwards. Negs scan well and render decent wet prints when enlarged.
Fears of delicate emulsion when wet have never been an issue for me personally.

I generally have a mix of Foma and FP4 with me when out with LF kit but find myself drawn more to using Foma more . I think knowing more of its characteristics makes me feel more comfortable ( confident)when exposing it.

Have to agree 100% with @trypdal about the excellent images posted in here recently.
Sadly atm I have nothing to show but that of course is why the content of the thread is of such high quality atm :LOL:

More playing around with Fomapan - this time Foma 400 rated at 200

ID-11 1+2, 20C for 12 minutes.
Slightly underdeveloped, so these probably could have gone another 3 or maybe even 4 minutes...

Nikon F3 + Nikkor Ai-35/2 and yellow filter...
Taken on consecutive days, so I got quite lucky with the aircraft - first is a mid-afternoon shot, the other around 10 in the morning - those aircraft are actually heading in opposite directions...

2022.02-03- (25).jpg

2022.02-03- (28).jpg

Back