Show us yer film shots then!

Here we go; save us some trouble :)

https://www.flickr.com/groups/tlr/discuss/72157623173219485/

My own conclusion....................there is 'eff all' in it and many other factors about the cameras/use are far more significant.

I would agree, both cameras can produce excellent results but, for me, the Rollei just handles better and is built a little better as well. I've had numerous Rolleicord over the years and they are brilliant, yes, I know, I do tend to buy them then sell them on but I still have the original Rolleiflex Automat that I bought 5 years ago and I have no intention of selling that one, it's probably the medium format camera that I use the most often.

It could get complex!

Not that complex if we want a beer at the end of it! ;) :D

And even then, you'd only be comparing specific examples of the cameras. If one was ever so slghtly off focus, the result wouldn't reflect the camera. You should really get then all cleaned, serviced and lens/focusing checked and calibrated if needed. :D

If we chose the right subject we could tell where the exact point of focus was and take that into account if there was a comparative difference between cameras. Also, shooting at f/8 and f/11 would help even things out a bit too. As for differences between individual cameras, Simon and Fraser both have a Rolleicord Vb each, and I have two Yashinon lensed Yashica 635s if we want to even individual differences out a bit more and look for general characteristics.

It would be interesting to do a reasonably comparable test but I won't lose any sleep over it if it doesn't happen.

Here we go; save us some trouble :)

https://www.flickr.com/groups/tlr/discuss/72157623173219485/

My own conclusion....................there is 'eff all' in it and many other factors about the cameras/use are far more significant.

If I were doing a direct comparison between cameras then the last thing I'd do is put a close-up converter in front of the cameras' lenses... unless I wanted to see how the cameras compared when using a converter. I think a straight shoot-out using the same subject, angle, film, shutter speed and aperture, and firing the shutter at the same time to capture as near to the same lighting conditions as possible would provide more comparable results?

However, life is short and so is availability of spare time, so this may well never happen! :whistle:

Last edited:
Is it possible to have that done to my "being" as I'm sure I am the weak link in my photography, not my kit :D
I suspect it will be quicker and cheaper to do that to a camera, Asha; and probably with a considerably higher chance of success, if you're anything like me! :D

Finally managing to get portraits in focus. Slowly slowly catchy monkey...

Slowly Getting Better
by Ian, on Flickr

Canon AE-1, 135mm f2.8 @ f8 on Fuji C200

River and rocks.
Both taken on different days following the course of the Bevera river which passes through Sospel (France) into Italy.

The first one up the valley from Sospel heading further up into the mountains towards Moulinet. ( One can see high mountain towards L'Authion ( nearly 1900m) mid left of the shot.
The route follows quite a deep gorge with the road on one side of the river Bevera and a path on the other.
The approach to this rock formation is easy enough, however trying to get situated safely with a tripod for a suitable composure is something else!!
There are some better composures to be had but impossible with a tripod ….I may have to return with the Rolleicord!

Similarly the second shot taken down the valley on the otherside of the French / Italian border into Italy near Olivetta was an even more difficult location to work in with LF gear!

1. Rock formation vers Moulinet TP.jpg

2. Bevera near Olivetta TP.jpg

Last edited:
I've never used Fuji Neopan Acros 100 but I might now, lovely tones and fine grain in that when viewed large on flickr @Mr Badger

Acros has the best reciprocity characteristics of any film I know of, you can shoot up to a couple of minutes as metered! That's why it was a criminal shame that Fujinotfilm discontinued it! (Though there are occasional rumours they're bringing it back!)

Not that complex if we want a beer at the end of it! ;) :D

If we chose the right subject we could tell where the exact point of focus was and take that into account if there was a comparative difference between cameras. Also, shooting at f/8 and f/11 would help even things out a bit too. As for differences between individual cameras, Simon and Fraser both have a Rolleicord Vb each, and I have two Yashinon lensed Yashica 635s if we want to even individual differences out a bit more and look for general characteristics.

It would be interesting to do a reasonably comparable test but I won't lose any sleep over it if it doesn't happen.

If I were doing a direct comparison between cameras then the last thing I'd do is put a close-up converter in front of the cameras' lenses... unless I wanted to see how the cameras compared when using a converter. I think a straight shoot-out using the same subject, angle, film, shutter speed and aperture, and firing the shutter at the same time to capture as near to the same lighting conditions as possible would provide more comparable results?

However, life is short and so is availability of spare time, so this may well never happen! :whistle:
I could bring a Lubitel [emoji1]

A few from my trip to St Andrews at the end of August. All with the F80, 35-105, FP4+ in ID-11

#1 St Andrews Citizen
2018-09-05-0082-copy-tp.jpg

#2 Baker Lane (one of several similar closes)
2018-09-05-0083-copy-tp.jpg

#3 The Himalayas
2018-09-05-0061-copy-tp.jpg

#4 Path to harbour
2018-09-05-0071-copy-tp.jpg

#5 Harbour
2018-09-05-0075-copy-tp.jpg

The last 3 posts have some really good shots, @Kevin Allan, but I particularly like the close-up, semi-abstract Precisa images...

Thanks Chris. The Precisa images were taken on the first roll through an Olympus OM10 I bought in a local camera shop (!) for £29. The roll had been on 30 shots for a few weeks so I fitted in a brief trip to Alnmouth to finish the roll whilst the family were shopping. The inbuilt metering proved to be pretty accurate.

Just been going through my 2018 folder and having a bit of a cull when I came across this.

At the time, I wasn't sure about it, but I've given it a print tonight to keep the jets flowing, and it looks gorgeous on paper. Always worth holding on to images for a while...

RB67, 50mm (I think), Portra 160.

Difficult Light
by Ian, on Flickr

When you really need coffee!

46559511101_880bb05b94_b.jpg

Pentax 645N, Pentax FA 45-85mm, OOD Kodak Portra 160 rated at 80 ASA

I posted this over on RFF a few months back, then got upset and removed it. I reposted it again a couple of weeks ago, so thought I'd also drop it here. This is Button who we lost in July. Taken about five minutes after she passed away. Miss her terribly.

45552146154_e270c64fca_b.jpg

Xpan | Tmax 400 | Xtol(r)

Last edited:
I posted this over on RFF a few months back, then got upset and removed it. I reposted it again a couple of weeks ago, so thought I'd also drop it here. This is Button who we lost in July. Taken about five minutes after she passed away. Miss her terribly.
A fine tribute, well composed and exposed.

45552146154_e270c64fca_b.jpg

Xpan | Tmax 400 | Xtol(r)
Jack Russell? They get to you - I know.

Whippet girl. Almost 12 when she passed.

Isn’t that a sight hound on your avatar? Now I see it could be a JR. Funny...I’ve always seen it and thought Greyhound!
No, she’s a JRT! A rescue dog by the name of Mistletoe - named because she’s missing a toe.

Back