Show us yer film shots then!

Following on from a post in the "Large format from zero to hero" thread, I'm posting up four LF photos that were quick and easy to make.

The first: a photo taken in a friend's garden. I stopped drinking tea long enough to set up the tripod and make a couple of exposures (the clouds were moving, so both were different). Then back to the tea cup.

S GN LF01-0170 GunnsGarden6d.jpg

Next, one taken from a layby near the RSPB reserve at Pulborough Brooks (this also has the distinction of being my very first LF photo):

01 LF01-0161.jpg

And from a car park (Victoria Bridge car park, Inveroran). The last time I looked at the car park on Google street view, there was a caravan parked about where my tripod was.

Victoria Bridge Car Park Inveroran LF01-0181 Trees at car park end of road5dA3Sharpened.jpg

And the fourth - this one involved a lengthy walk of about 30 feet from the door of our caravan:

Glen Nevis near caravan.jpg

I agree with you; possibly more depth of field would have been better. The separation is good, though.

I have been given a few cassettes of outdated C41 film by a Camera Club member so i thought I would give my 1934 LEICA Model II + 1936 50mm f2 Summar an outing
The First film I tried was 2004 dated 'Lloyds Pharmacy 200 ( Agfa)' and I downrated it to 125 ASA and processed using the C41 developer given to me by the BOOTS technician on closure of their Film mini-lab . Negs were 'oft' and low saturation but maybe that is the old un-coated Summar lens. I adjusted a bit in FastStone IMage Viewer.
Testing 'Lloyds Film 200 ' with my 1934 LEICA II + 1936 lens by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Testing 'Lloyds Film 200 ' with my 1934 LEICA II + 1936 lens by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

I wonder if maybe a touch more depth of field would have been beneficial here? I like the seperation it's caused, but also wish more of the fungus on the log was in focus.

Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon 75mm f/2.8
Fujifilm Provia 100

FILM - Log
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I think it all seems to get a bit lost in the same colours, almost to the 'What's that?' stage.

Last edited:
I think it all gets a bit lost in the same colours too, almost to the 'what's that?' stage.

I'm assuming that this is in response to my photo and not Pete's images? If so, yes, I agree. The three-dimensionality of the scene has been disguised (camouflaged even) by the colours and textures. I've burnt in the edges of the frame a bit to try and help with this but it still blends together a lot.

I'm assuming that this is in response to my photo and not Pete's images? If so, yes, I agree. The three-dimensionality of the scene has been disguised (camouflaged even) by the colours and textures. I've burnt in the edges of the frame a bit to try and help with this but it still blends together a lot.
Yes, I hit the wrong button and sent without quoting! :eggface: I've taken photos like that myself, they've looked great through the viewfinder!

49012337861_d905404257_b.jpg

Xpan | 45mm | Tmax 400 | XTOL(r) | Pakon

The Second 'outdated film ' I was given at Club was an 'ACTIVA 400 ( konica) Dated 10/2005. I downrated it to 250 ASA and used my trusty 1934 Leica II + 1936 50mm f2 Summar lens again. Negs were again like the Lloyds Pharmacy film a bit low in contrast and colour saturation, probably due to the un-coated Summar .
I got some good shots of the workmen from Essex Highways resurfacing my road and they enjoyed being snapped !
'ACTIVA 400' in LEICA II by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
I did not 'cheat' and put UP the Colour Saturation in FastStone Image Viewer so the 'yellows are 'soft'
'ACTIVA 400' in LEICA II ( continued) by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

That's very nice. I've not used TMax for a long time but that reminds me a lot of the look of XP2 for some reason.

I've become a big fan of T-Max 400 in Xtol since buying the Xpan. The combination allows me to shoot at box speed, which compensates for the camera's relatively slow lenses, and it has such fine grain that I can enlarge prints to three feet wide.......and they all have X in the name...which is cool, right ;)

Last edited:
Serre Road Cemetery No. 2, Somme. Nikon F3/28mm T-Max 400 in DDL.
2018-04-18-0029_1024.jpg

2018-04-18-0030_1024.jpg

2018-04-18-0029_1024.jpg2018-04-18-0030_1024.jpg

Lying just in front of the German front line, and partially straddling the site of a strongpoint, the Heidenkopf or Quadrilateral, Serre No.2 contains 7,127 Commonwealth graves, of which 4,944 are unidentified, the highest proportion of any British & Commonwealth cemetery in France. Most are from the unsuccessful attacks of 1st July and 13th November 1916, though the cemetery also contains many graves from the subsequent consolidation of smaller burial sites. It was designed by Sir Edwin Luytens, and completed in 1934.

Last edited:
Since it's Remembrance Day, this shot from a WW1 military cemetery in Slovenia might be interesting. The Italians joined the war on the Allied side, and were attacking from Trieste up towards Austria. There were apparently some incredibly fierce battles with neither side gaining a decisive advantage. The remains here are described as Austro-Hungarian (including Slovenian), Russian prisoners of war, or (in many cases) "Unbekannter", or unknown.

1909HPLXCN Cemetery.jpg

Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70, Portra 400

Last edited:
For those not following recent comments on the Vuescan Discussion thread, today I've loaded the Epsonscan that originally came with my V700 and which I've never used. I'm not claiming any in-depth comparison between it and Vuescan, but I'm pleasantly surprised at this scan of a 5x4 Acros Quickload from maybe 10 years ago.

Loch Druim Suardalain by Northsnapper, on Flickr

Just a stab in the dark, but I'd hazard a guess as an XPan with 45mm lens, on TMax 400 and developed in Xtol; scanned with a Pakon scanner.:)

Last edited:
Back