Show us your Nikons

:shake:

Check the foam and stick some film in -- they're cute little cameras.

I will run a roll of the old 35mm stuff in it at some point and check the foam out

Well here is the Tamrons I use besides the Nikon lenses..I have been looking around for there 18mm SP but there like Rocking horse poop

DSC_01302.jpg

IIRC (and it's been a while) the 501 was the first generation of Nikon autofocus, and a bit of a dog. A chum had one for about a month before selling it, he said the camera wouldn't allow him to press the shutter until it believed focus had been achieved and it took an age to decide. The 601 was 2nd gen and a lot faster and later models quicker still.

I agree on thumb cranked cameras, when I bought one again it felt like coming home. I took some shots of a Georgian choir today and although the Nikkormat mirror gave a proper slap which echoed round the church at least it wasn't followed by BZZDDDD as the camera wound itself on. Or worse still, reaching the end of the film and the camera automatically rewinds the whole 36 frames over a quiet solo vocal as you you try to empty the battery chamber before the ground eats you up.

I wont be using AF lenses on if I get it...but was wondering if it will meter with older manual lenses

Ok - I've been lured in; here are a quick couple of the F:

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

The FTn meter works and has been professionally recalibrated to take normal batteries and the camera fully serviced.

In this shot it's 'wearing' a 28mm F2.8 complete with HN-2 hood

Alistair

very nice alistair :)

Apologies for a thread hi jack here. I have been following this thread since the start and I feel I would like to invest in a manual film camera. However as I only got into photography in the digital age, I know nothing about film. I do know I like the two nikons I have had so far, so what would reccomendations be for a good starter camera? I'm thinking maybe FM2 or FG? Any help appreciated.

I've recently got into film as well and bought a Nikon f301 which I love. Its small, solid, makes a great noise and is easy to use. You can get them for about £15 to £20 on the bay.

Andy

Apologies for a thread hi jack here. I have been following this thread since the start and I feel I would like to invest in a manual film camera. However as I only got into photography in the digital age, I know nothing about film. I do know I like the two nikons I have had so far, so what would reccomendations be for a good starter camera? I'm thinking maybe FM2 or FG? Any help appreciated.

Ho of the two I would go for the Nikon FM2..there a terrific little camera to use and own...But if you can go to a F3 you will never look back

Wisemen, if you want something more modern (1980s) the 301 is a good shout and cheap. I'm a fan of Nikkormats, the forunner of the FM. They are built like a tank - well like an F actually but without interchangable heads or screens and are still affordable (15 -50 quid).

I've recently got into film as well and bought a Nikon f301 which I love. Its small, solid, makes a great noise and is easy to use. You can get them for about £15 to £20 on the bay.

Andy

Well I can try mine out now with some Tamron lenses, fed up waiting for a cheap adapter and just paid BIN £17.50 for one........my N2000 was cheaper. :(

For manual focus, I'd look at the FE2 FM2(n) and FG, or the pro F3

For auto focus, I'd look at the F100 or F80, or maybe the pro F5

Do remember that G series lenses won't work on the older manual cameras.

Well I can try mine out now with some Tamron lenses, fed up waiting for a cheap adapter and just paid BIN £17.50 for one........my N2000 was cheaper. :(

That's the problem...the adaptall mounts for Nikon are getting expensive ..as much as £45 from dealers..but I refuse to stop using my tamrons ..there just so sweet :)

Ho of the two I would go for the Nikon FM2..there a terrific little camera to use and own...But if you can go to a F3 you will never look back

But if you can go to a F3 you will never look back

mine is due tomorrow - feels like waiting for Christmas ..:banana::banana:

today the postman delivered the flash for it - a Nikon SB-12...(y)

no manual though ..:shake:

Suspect the 50 and the 100 are strongest of the Series E primes -- I seem to recall reports of the 28 and 35 being a little soft and a couple of the zooms not doing too well in tests. As I mentioned earlier, the 100 makes a handy addition to a small kit as it's very compact.

thanks for that - looking for a 28mm, so will try to find a 100mm too

For manual focus, I'd look at the FE2 FM2(n) and FG, or the pro F3

For auto focus, I'd look at the F100 or F80, or maybe the pro F5

Do remember that G series lenses won't work on the older manual cameras.

Thanks for your thoughts. Looking at a FG20 at the mo, as they appear slightly cheaper then the F3 and Fm2, and this will be a first for me. With regards to lenses have a 28mm tamron plus adapter and a 50mm AF D both of which I use on my D90. I take it these will both be OK?

Sounds fine -- you'll be ok with any lens provided it has an aperture ring, though the older lenses are better suited to manual use. AFD is fine -- just flip the aperture lock.

Thanks for your thoughts. Looking at a FG20 at the mo, as they appear slightly cheaper then the F3 and Fm2, and this will be a first for me. With regards to lenses have a 28mm tamron plus adapter and a 50mm AF D both of which I use on my D90. I take it these will both be OK?

i have an FG 20 arriving in the next few days..I will let you no what they are like once I have given it a good checking over....

About £200, mint...

Not that much. :)
Probably around £150 for a mint copy.
I sold mine, which was in a very good condition, for 95 euros (around £80).

thanks for that - looking for a 28mm, so will try to find a 100mm too

Sorry if you've already explained but, why do you want a 28mm in particular? I assume you realise that 28mm on a 35mm is going to be altogether different to a digital crop etc?

I use a 28mm F2.8 (see the Nikon F picture a few answsers back) for street work and a 50mm F2 also. Now, for getting the shot i.e. moving the feet (which film and street is all about) I love the 50mm F2. It's not expensive and with the hood on, flares are only your own fault!

So, 28mm why? You will get alot of shot but stood back - unless you use it for close in work (again the feet move for the 'zoom' action!).

Alistair

People selling this camera! Says so at the bottom... BOL UK Ltd :D

People selling this camera! Says so at the bottom... BOL UK Ltd :D

hahahah..well spotted...shame they have a nice F4 but I dont trust them after seeing the F3 with the missing winder that was stated it was fully tested and working :nono:

my classic is the Nikon F5 - sitting boxed under my bed. I'd love a mint D1 to sit with it, in 20 years I can imaging taking them out and using them as a step back compared to whatever is normal then. On the oldy classic side, Contax 139 Quartz, 50mm Carl Zeis, Yashica 80-210, and a Rollei 35. Have to say, I'm not on keen on using them, but I looooove looking and holding them. :love:

Well the FG-20 and winder has just arrived ..it looks mint..I will get a pic up later

Well heres the FG-20
DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Very tidy looking example that is Barry... (y)

Almost minty hey... :D

:p

I was a bit p***&*d when it arrived as the electrics did not work...but after spraying them with some contact cleaner everything now works as it should :LOL:

Sorry if you've already explained but, why do you want a 28mm in particular? I assume you realise that 28mm on a 35mm is going to be altogether different to a digital crop etc?
So, 28mm why? You will get alot of shot but stood back - unless you use it for close in work (again the feet move for the 'zoom' action!)...Alistair

I had bought a Nikkor 50mm f2 Ai here, just to try on my Nikon D40

then picked up a mint little Nikon EM complete with 50mm 1.8 E lens

I recently bought a F3 body - so plan to sell the 50mm f2
and get a 28mm 2.8 Ai if I can find a mint one /cheap........:shake::LOL:

interested in landscapes and thought the 28mm 2.8 would be the best choice..:thinking:

I had bought a Nikkor 50mm f2 Ai here, just to try on my Nikon D40

then picked up a mint little Nikon EM complete with 50mm 1.8 E lens

I recently bought a F3 body - so plan to sell the 50mm f2
and get a 28mm 2.8 Ai if I can find a mint one /cheap........:shake::LOL:

interested in landscapes and thought the 28mm 2.8 would be the best choice..:thinking:

have you had a look at the tamron 28mm ?i have found it to be a better lens and its slightly faster at 2.5 (y)

have you had a look at the tamron 28mm ?i have found it to be a better lens and its slightly faster at 2.5 (y)

I'm a Nikon nut I'm afraid - just a quirky thing ...:D

same with the Canon A1 - all the lens are Canon FDs

I'm a Nikon nut I'm afraid - just a quirky thing ...:D

same with the Canon A1 - all the lens are Canon FDs

I have both ...but I just think the tamron is sharper around the edges

Back