Show us your Nikons

Mint condition (sic) LA Olympics Special Edition
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-NEW-F1-35MM-SLR-FILM-CAMERA-1984-LA-OLYMPICS_W0QQitemZ230469973980QQcategoryZ30033QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8677089860078690658

To be honest I was surprised they're so cheap - the F1 was comparable to F2 at the very least, I thought...F1n there looks quite nice at £220...a few others around the £150 mark...if you like Canons, I would have thought that was OK...

Most 35mm camera lenses will take a good snap but you'll carry the camera more if you enjoy using it. I'd happily use a Canon F1 if I could find one or a Minolta SRT, Pentax Spotmatic or any other quality lump. Old Nikons seem more commonly available so that's what I have.
A doggy old 120 will out resolve a Leica, print size for size.

Well I agree with some of what you say...I have no allegiance to a camera body make, in fact have bought an excellent lens like the Vivitar 55mm macro for a minolta that was going cheap, and later bought the camera to fit the lens.
But I do like some cameras over others, and am sure my N2000 would be well liked if someone would sell me a Nikon 24mm for £35. ;)

Mint condition (sic) LA Olympics Special Edition
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-NEW-F1-35MM-SLR-FILM-CAMERA-1984-LA-OLYMPICS_W0QQitemZ230469973980QQcategoryZ30033QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8677089860078690658

To be honest I was surprised they're so cheap - the F1 was comparable to F2 at the very least, I thought...F1n there looks quite nice at £220...a few others around the £150 mark...if you like Canons, I would have thought that was OK...

it looks nice ...and its an F1N too...great cameras

..and he is selling the excellent CANON FD 50MM 1:1.4 MANUAL FOCUS LENS.

...the AI-S 35mm is comparatively pretty poor, so that isn't an option either.
Until I get bored one night and beast the plastic, that is...lol

Blox... :eek: ...So the 35mm I just got is a bit of a dog then ... :cautious:

You could have told me BEFORE I got the bloody thing... :LOL:

:p

I might treat myself to a canon A1 and a T90 at a later date...but for now I and going to concentrate on a few tasty Nikons

who cares if the Nikon E 75-150mm was made by Kiron and you can get the Kiron/vivitar equivalent far cheaper.

There seems to be some dispute over this, which seems to have been based on a (single) comment posted by the 'Kiron Kid' to Thom Hogan's site. A number of other lens reviewers dispute Kiron doing work for Nikon and point out the differences in lens design and characteristics between the Nikon and the Kiron/Vivitar (which reviewers seem to agree are the same lens).

Either way, it's a nice lens if you can live with the zoom sprint. If you don't mind quick and dirty solutions, people use a couple of strips of electrical tape on each side.

BTW if you're looking for a small kit have a look at the 100 Series E, not as good as the 105s but a nice little (tiny) lens.

IFAIK they weren't even made by Nikon, but by a third-party...they definitely didn't use Nikon's own glass back then, which was the major selling point of Nikkor lenses.

this is from "Wiki" about the Nikon EM
"The contemporary Nikon made AI lenses were the Nikkor AI-S, Nikkor AI and Nikon Series E types."...which "infers" the E Series are Nikon made

yet regardless of where they were made, Wiki records this comment..
"Although the Series E lenses were unpopular with Nikon buyers, several of the Series E lenses exhibited excellent performance, particularly the 50mm f/1.8 (pancake), the 100mm f/2.8, and the 75-150mm constant f/3.5 zoom"

needs further research............:thinking:

...several of the Series E lenses exhibited excellent performance, particularly the 50mm f/1.8 (pancake), the 100mm f/2.8, and the 75-150mm constant f/3.5 zoom"

Given the AiS 50 isn't normally that expensive I'd go with that over the E but the others are certainly worth a look (noting the slack zoom on the 75-150).

Given the AiS 50 isn't normally that expensive I'd go with that over the E but the others are certainly worth a look (noting the slack zoom on the 75-150).

I only added my comment as I just acquired an EM with its 50mm 1.8 Series E

the lens does not seem "cheap and cheerful" at all

There seems to be some dispute over this, which seems to have been based on a (single) comment posted by the 'Kiron Kid' to Thom Hogan's site. A number of other lens reviewers dispute Kiron doing work for Nikon and point out the differences in lens design and characteristics between the Nikon and the Kiron/Vivitar (which reviewers seem to agree are the same lens).

Either way, it's a nice lens if you can live with the zoom sprint. If you don't mind quick and dirty solutions, people use a couple of strips of electrical tape on each side.

BTW if you're looking for a small kit have a look at the 100 Series E, not as good as the 105s but a nice little (tiny) lens.

Well why wouldn't Nikon use Kiron (or anyone else) to assemble/make some of their lenses, it's not a new idea and a common business practice i.e. sub-contracting...and do/did Nikon make every part of their cameras (even a screw) in the past and now.

Thanks for the info on 100 series E, but I've plenty of very good common lenses from 28mm to 210mm, and I'm not stuck for a 24mm lens as I have a 24mm sigma mini wide for Canon, and that will have to do.

There not pal and are much better than people give them credit for

No, the Series E lenses aren't bad at all and in build compare well with the AFDs -- I've not tried the 50E but understand it to be a very good lens, though not as well coated as the AiS. My comment was just that the AiS can often be picked up for not that much more than the E.

Excalibur, Knighthawks right a 24mm E series lens is £55 at FFordes!

erm I thought Nikon didn't make a 24mm series E, the one at FFordes is a 28mm and at £55 is twice the cost of the excellent Canon FD 28mm/f2.8..but if you have a Nikon digital I suppose it could be a better buy, although FD lenses can now be used on at least one digital camera.

If Canon ever bring out a smaller focal plane camera then you could bet your bottom dollar that FD lens prices would shoot through the roof!

your right there its all down to supply and demand

this is from "Wiki" about the Nikon EM
"The contemporary Nikon made AI lenses were the Nikkor AI-S, Nikkor AI and Nikon Series E types."...which "infers" the E Series are Nikon made

yet regardless of where they were made, Wiki records this comment..
"Although the Series E lenses were unpopular with Nikon buyers, several of the Series E lenses exhibited excellent performance, particularly the 50mm f/1.8 (pancake), the 100mm f/2.8, and the 75-150mm constant f/3.5 zoom"

needs further research............:thinking:

Nikon branded - not necessarily Nikon-assembled...
As I said in a later post though it doesn't make them bad - just not quite as sturdy as the AI and AI-S lenses they went up against...

Blox... :eek: ...So the 35mm I just got is a bit of a dog then ... :cautious:

You could have told me BEFORE I got the bloody thing... :LOL:

God no - it's very good - at least by the standards then - just compared to their own later 35mm designs... exhibits a bit of CA and flare at wide-open, but just as capable stopped down a couple of notches...

And this only applies to the f/2 design...

If I bought a 35mm f/2 lens made by Nikon now it'd still be the 'old' AF-D as it's better (allegedly) than the new AF-G...

God no - it's very good - at least by the standards then - just compared to their own later 35mm designs... exhibits a bit of CA and flare at wide-open, but just as capable stopped down a couple of notches...

And this only applies to the f/2 design...

If I bought a 35mm f/2 lens made by Nikon now it'd still be the 'old' AF-D as it's better (allegedly) than the new AF-G...

:) ...Well that's a bit of a relief then, although I did not pay exorbitant amounts for it and it is minty imhgo... :D ...even it is only f2.8 ...:shrug:

:p

Has anybody used the Nikon F501 & the FG20 theres a few on fleebay going cheap...I no they was budget cameras at the time...but none the less they appear better made than most modern cameras

Has anybody used the Nikon F501 & the FG20 theres a few on fleebay going cheap...I no they was budget cameras at the time...but none the less they appear better made than most modern cameras

nah - a F501 is not a "classic" - doesn't have one of those film advance wind lever thingies..:shake:....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

nah - a F501 is not a "classic" - doesn't have one one those film advance wind lever thingies..:shake:....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

hahahah....I no what your saying ...its a case less is more when it comes to old cameras:)

One of the reasons I'm 'offloading' my F5 is that it feels too much like I'm using one of my D3's...
If I'm shooting 'fillum', I want the whole tactile experience - single shots, manual wind-on, twiddling the rewind-crank etc etc ..

hahahah....I no what your saying ...its a case less is more when it comes to old cameras:)

have you ever been here "The Camera House - collectable and classic used film cameras, lenses"..."link"

One of the reasons I'm 'offloading' my F5 is that it feels too much like I'm using one of my D3's...
If I'm shooting 'fillum', I want the whole tactile experience - single shots, manual wind-on, twiddling the rewind-crank etc etc ..

I must agree with you there technology has taken all the fun out of photography...
I used a Pentax LX for years and took some of the best shots ever with it..I have mentioned this before ..but fully manual cameras tend to make you concentrate more on your composition and exposure....

So... I am now the proud owner of a replacement F90x at last (y)

I knew I should never have sold the last one and now I got another it'll be staying, honest.

f90x.jpg

As for "manual", the Radix is staying, as are the two Fujis, several RF's, the Autorex, the Minoltas, the Konicas, etc. ...

So... I am now the proud owner of a replacement F90x at last (y)

I knew I should never have sold the last one and now I got another it'll be staying, honest. No, really - it will...

f90x.jpg

As for "manual", the Radix is staying, as are the two Fujis, several RF's, the Autorex, the Minoltas, the Konicas, etc. ...

Welcome back to the land of the Nikon's Arthur :)

... i do have the D70 you know :nono:

IIRC (and it's been a while) the 501 was the first generation of Nikon autofocus, and a bit of a dog. A chum had one for about a month before selling it, he said the camera wouldn't allow him to press the shutter until it believed focus had been achieved and it took an age to decide. The 601 was 2nd gen and a lot faster and later models quicker still.

I agree on thumb cranked cameras, when I bought one again it felt like coming home. I took some shots of a Georgian choir today and although the Nikkormat mirror gave a proper slap which echoed round the church at least it wasn't followed by BZZDDDD as the camera wound itself on. Or worse still, reaching the end of the film and the camera automatically rewinds the whole 36 frames over a quiet solo vocal as you you try to empty the battery chamber before the ground eats you up.

No, the Series E lenses aren't bad at all and in build compare well with the AFDs -- I've not tried the 50E but understand it to be a very good lens, though not as well coated as the AiS. My comment was just that the AiS can often be picked up for not that much more than the E.

not looking for an on-going argument ...:LOL: ... but just read
"The Series E retained Nikon's superior seven-bladed diaphragms.

All Series E lenses are AI-s, and likewise fit every Nikon SLR camera, manual and auto focus. Some of the cheaper AF cameras and the D100 lose the ability to meter with the Series E as they do with all manual focus lenses.
.... The operation and compatibility of the Series E lenses is identical to the other manual focus AI-s lenses, which makes sense because they are AI-s.".........(c) Ken Rockwell

so I deduce the E was cheaper made, but did in fact have the Ai-S coating

certainly a maze of info if you dig into Nikon designations ..:thinking:

well I better keep of fleebay as I just won a Nikon FG 20 and winder :)

not looking for an on-going argument ...:LOL: ... but just read
"The Series E retained Nikon's superior seven-bladed diaphragms.

All Series E lenses are AI-s, and likewise fit every Nikon SLR camera, manual and auto focus. Some of the cheaper AF cameras and the D100 lose the ability to meter with the Series E as they do with all manual focus lenses.
.... The operation and compatibility of the Series E lenses is identical to the other manual focus AI-s lenses, which makes sense because they are AI-s.".........(c) Ken Rockwell

so I deduce the E was cheaper made, but did in fact have the Ai-S coating

certainly a maze of info if you dig into Nikon designations ..:thinking:

My understanding is that the 50 lenses have the same internal structure (not the case with all the Es) but the series E has an AFD style build rather than the more solid feeling AiS Nikkor -- not really an issue to worry about. They dropped the rabbit ears and also the multi-coating of the standard AiS Nikkor lenses and thus might be a little more prone to flare/ contrast problems.

The slight confusion is that we tend to talk of AiS (Nikkor) lenses as a shorthand for the generation of lenses that introduced the AiS mechanism -- which the Series E lenses incorporate.

No idea why KR talks of metering in that way as CPU enabled manual lenses were relatively unusual so it's hardly news.

The Series E lenses tend to have a good reputation but suffer from some particularly strong Nikkor lenses at the same or similar focal lengths, and people being used to the more solid feel of the traditional Nikkors.

Suspect the 50 and the 100 are strongest of the Series E primes -- I seem to recall reports of the 28 and 35 being a little soft and a couple of the zooms not doing too well in tests. As I mentioned earlier, the 100 makes a handy addition to a small kit as it's very compact.

well I better keep of fleebay as I just won a Nikon FG 20 and winder :)

Great! It sits between the simpler EM and more featured FG, the latter being a little like a lightweight FE2.

Great! It sits between the simpler EM and more featured FG, the latter being a little like a lightweight FE2.

I dont no if I will ever use it when it arrives...but I can never resist a bargain

Back